New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Gaming in Adelaide, Australia

Hi, I'm new here but I'm a big fan of GitP :-)

I'm wanting to get into paper DnD but I don't know where to start, does anyone know of a place in Adelaide (Australia) that I could start off my career?

Thanks a million!

~KD

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Gaming in Adelaide, Australia

I wouldn't have the first clue as to where to look in Australia (as I live in a completely different hemisphere), but here's some tips that helped me find some people here. The "goal" (as it were) is essentially to find about five to six people (one GM and four to five player) to sit down once every week or two on a regular basis.

If you're lucky, there will be an online resource such as Meetup (try this group: http://www.meetup.com/Adelaide-SciFi...and-RPG-Group/), or Obsidian Portal (http://www.obsidianportal.com/search...ign&q=Adelaide) but failing that, you can try asking around local comic/gaming stores that might be in your area. Some groups might put up notices looking for a player.

Failing that (perhaps all the people you talk to are in a solid group, or are themselves looking for a group), you're going to have to start your own group. Yes, you'll probably have to be the DM.

Here are my tips:

1) Suck it up and be the DM. In my experience, there are always more people willing to pretend to be elves than there are people pretending to be mysterious men behind the curtain. In such a market, if you're willing to put in the time and effort to run a game, that makes you a metaphorical babe-magnet (except replace "babes" with "sweaty nerds". I kid!). Don't plan for a long-term game (but leave a door open to continue), and when the adventure ends, canvas to see if one of the other players will run a game (either this one, or a new one).

2) Use your friends. You might have some pals who might be interested in slinging dice; ask them if they're interested. They might also have better locations to play!

3) Figure out when you want to play. Even if your schedule is very flexible, the number one thing to bring to a table each week is consistency. If everyone can agree to usually play on say, Tuesday evenings, then people can clear schedules and move plans to accommodate.

4) Make a post, such as on Meetup. If you're a DM, be very clear about what you're offering for a game (especially what day and how long you want to play), and be clear about your experience level. If you're a player, still be clear about your experience, but give prospective DMs an idea of who you are (occupation, education, likes, dislikes) so you aren't some shadowy stranger before you show up at the table.

5) Roll Initiative.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Gaming in Adelaide, Australia

A good place to start might be the Australasia thread (and the meet-up thread, while we're at it). Although I don't know how many South Australians there are here.