New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Return of Malfeas IC

"All right then..." Watson lets out a long breath as he finishes the last few of the post-flight checks. Satisfied, he steps away and hurries on down to the airlock entrance, where the rest of their little delegation is waiting.

Besides himself, there are the senior bridge crew in their dark blue uniforms, looking various degrees of nervous, and the squad commanders of the Dragon-Blooded detachment assigned to them, each carrying weapons ceremonially unloaded. The terrestrials, at least, have the benefit of eye-obscuring half-visors to help hide their expressions, and as such manage to look professionally implacable. All of them fall into formation, while Watson himself activates the airlock cycling system and steps back to just behind the Commander.

"You know how they say it's easier if you think your audience is naked? Don't. At least a few folks here can probably read minds." he mutters to Berger with a half-smile on his face, even as the hatch finishes opening and the roar of the crowd falls across them. "Right behind you, Commander."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Well, we did just face Malfeas, and he was almost as intimidating as a large crowd, so we might be able to handle this," Berger chuckled. She then stepped out, leading the crew. Her movements effortlessly falling into the rhythm of a military march, her eyes and her face finally allowing themselves to smile at their recent victory, her entire body language letting the crowd know they were gazing upon victorious heroes.

Spoiler
    Show
    And a couple motes spent on the Presence Excellency.
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

3. - Top - End - #273

The assembled party walk out behind the Commander, keeping step with each other. Focusing on small details like that has always been a useful way to remain distracted from the huge, otherwise crippling problems of nerves.

Watson, for his part, walks along ever so slightly behind the Commander, with a similar air of heroism and triumph, albeit slightly understated in comparison to the Solar. Vaguely, he wonders if it would be considered bad form to go out drinking once the impending meeting is concluded. He doubted any of them would be allowed to buy their own drinks for quite some time...
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Admiral Harshaw is there waiting for you, along with Commander Tarkas' widow and daughter.

"Gentlemen, and ladies," says the Admiral. "Words cannot express our gratitude. Follow me, please." She starts to march off towards the ceremony.
    "What is it they say about how nothing can stop the mail?"
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."
    Check out my new Deviantart!

Quote Originally Posted by Kell_tamer
    Horus, I love you so so much you magnificent Egyptian pony god man!
    Previous Avatar by Cuthalion
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #275

Watson follows the Admiral as ordered, keeping pace with Tarkas' widow as he does.

"I owe your husband my life, ma'am." he says quietly to her, just loud enough to avoid being drowned out by the noise of the crowd. And it's true as well - if Tarkus hadn't intercepted the Infernal, Watson was pretty sure the enemy would have gotten to him or the newly-minted Commander in turn. "You need anything, you ask, OK?"

That's all he really has time for, as they march towards the ceremony.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Tarkas' widow gives a faint hint of what passes for a Thark smile. "You're too kind. Thank you."
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #277

"This goes for me as well," Berger told her. "And it is not just us who owe commander Tarkas our lives - if not for him, Barsoom might well be gone by now. The entire galaxy owes him a debt."

Spoiler
    Show
    ((What's imperial policy toward the widows of KIA soldiers? Do they keep receiving their spouse's payments?))

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

(I would assume they do. Though Tarkas' family is mainly there to receive his posthumous awards.)

After a bit more walking, you finally arrive. His Divine Lunar Presence himself stands at the dais waiting to receive you. He gives a brief speech about what was risked, lost, and achieved, and how the people standing before the crowd are some of the greatest heroes the galaxy has seen in hundreds of years.

He asks that Commander Berger step forward to be given her awards.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #279

So. This is the most powerful person in the Galaxy. For a brief moment, it occurred to Berger that one assassination right now would probably do more to change the galaxy than anything else she is likely to do anytime soon. But not for the better.
    Head held high, she stepped forward.

10. - Top - End - #280

Watson, for his part, looks to be hiding an immensely undignified smile. If it wasn't for the solemn occassion, you almost get the impression that he'd be dancing. Instead, all that happens is that his yellow eyes flick back and forth between the other members of the Divine Staff standing near the podium.

Hmm... Yeah, there's the representative from the Division of Battles, looking moderately inconspicuous. And hey, someone from Endings, how nice, though he has to know I can see through his 'harmless advisor' act...

Oh, hey, speech. Pay attention, Watson.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

The Emperor smiles, as though he sensed Berger's intentions, and subsequent decision not to act on them.

"Commander Erin Berger, your service to the Empire during the battle with Malfeas is, without question, some of the greatest heroism I've seen in my long reign. You faced odds that no one has seen in millennia, and came out on top. For this, I award you the Imperial Medal of Honor, the highest honor my office can bestow." He hangs a medal around her neck. "In addition, I grant you the rank of Colonel. Do you have anything you'd like to say to your adoring public?"

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #282

Watson stays mostly motionless, as befitting the occassion. Fortunately, however, the Sidereals had long ago worked our ways of communicating with each other subtly without giving anything away to even the most eagle-eyed observers. And his colleagues would be expecting a report - Colonel Erin Berger was, after all, now a distinct person of interest, and a complete dossier was almost certainly being assembled at this very moment. So, with a thought, he opened up the short-range communication device embedded in his skull and contacted the other Viziers.

"She's old-school morality, supremely idealistic." he says without words, knowing that the message would be appearing in the minds of any of his colleagues who cared to listen. "Went into the service to help people, and everything I've seen indicates she wants to make life better for just about everyone. Doesn't seem to be especially naive, though. Complete control is probably impossible, but find her a decently complicated problem to tackle and give her enough autonomy to pursue it, and we can probably direct her in a useful direction."

13. - Top - End - #283

Quote Originally Posted by horus42 View Post
    The Emperor smiles, as though he sensed Berger's intentions, and subsequent decision not to act on them.

"Commander Erin Berger, your service to the Empire during the battle with Malfeas is, without question, some of the greatest heroism I've seen in my long reign. You faced odds that no one has seen in millennia, and came out on top. For this, I award you the Imperial Medal of Honor, the highest honor my office can bestow." He hangs a medal around her neck. "In addition, I grant you the rank of Colonel. Do you have anything you'd like to say to your adoring public?"
    Berger nodded as expected when given the medal and rank. Then it was her turn to speak.
    "I would like to say several things, in fact.
    First of all, that none of my accomplishments in this battle were a solo act. Every single person on my crew faced what most would consider impossible odds, and tackled them head-on. Every single one of them is a hero in my books...and I believe a special mention is deserved by the late Commander Tarkas. He was as good a commanding officer as I could have hoped for, and he bravely gave his life fighting an Infernal - one of the deadliest entities in the universe. I doubt we would be standing here if not for him. Some might say he did credit to the Tharks, but I do not think this is the right way to look at it. Rather, I would say he did credit to the galaxy.
    The other thing I wish to say is of a more general order. Right now, I know a lot of people think I'm some kind of hero. But most of what I've done, really, was be at the right place at the right time. A soldier who doesn't have an exaltation, isn't at the most important strategic spot of the battlefield, but still risks his life against the enemies of the galaxy, is no less a hero. I believe a charity worker who dedicates his life to helping the poor and downtrodden, a witness who testifies against a feared mob boss, a civilian who stands up against injustice in his neighborhood, are at least as heroic as me.
    Galactic society is us - the countless trillions who inhabit it. To have a better society, we need first and foremost to be good people...and in the vast majority of cases, this doesn't involve playing chicken with a Stellar Intelligence." She had said the rest with passion, but allowed herself to inject some light-heartedness into the last sentence.

Spoiler
    Show
    I...think this is Performance rather than Presence? Crud. I don't really have anything in Performance.
    If it is Presence, she's spending 10 motes of Internal Essence on the Second Excellency - this is stuff she thinks the galaxy needs to hear. One way or another, she's channeling her Compassion into the roll.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

The Emperor nods in approval, and gives a small laugh. "Very well said, thank you, Colonel. I would also like to extend my gratitude to the entire crew of the Mercury, not only their Exalted Officers. Each of you is, in truth, a hero."

He pauses and turns to Watson as he waits for the applause to die down. "Captain James Watson, I understand that those in your own division have a particular method of rewarding you, yes?"

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #285

The Sidereal's eyes widen in momentary surprise - and hastily suppressed panic - as he finds himself being publicly addressed. He'd spoken to important individuals before, of course, but never in front of so many people. His kind much preferred to stay out of the direct limelight... something the Emperor had to know.

"We tend to handle such things internally, yes, your majesty." he says after a moment.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

"Well then, allow it to suffice that the Mercury will be receiving upgrades, in honor of her service."

He continues on with the ceremony, honoring Commander Tarkas posthumously, giving his medals to his widow, and thanking her for his service to the empire.

After the ceremony is over, you're given a bit of free time.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #287

"I tried to put some emphasis on Tarkas," Berger told Watson, holding a glass of hydrospark nectar. "I imagine it wasn't very subtle, but I guess I'm hoping this helps Barsoom in near-future negotiations. They need to get those weather-control machines replaced..."

18. - Top - End - #288

Watson grins and downs his own drink - it didn't have a name, really, but he was quite certain it was probably toxic to some degree or other. Ah, the benefits of an Exalted metabolism.

"Honestly. Commended by the Emperor himself, in a ceremony broadcast to billions of people, and you still manage to think of everyone else first. Oh, the Department of Serenity are going to love you. There will be merchandise, just you watch." he says, smiling broadly.

"Still, hey, time off. Or as close to it as we ever get, anyway. I'm going to see if I can leverage some of this reputation into access to particular training. If you thought I was cheating before, whew..."

19. - Top - End - #289

Berger grinned. "Why wouldn't I think of everyone else first? I already have a pretty sweet life!"
    She took a sip. "Leverage is good. And don't get me wrong, I am considering my career. It's a bit too early to tell how far my new medal and the rank of colonel can take me...but if anything, I think a lot of people in the Central Empire will conclude Solars are too useful to pass on now. For better or worse."

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

As she finishes talking, a young man walks up to Berger, clearly impressed with her. "Colonel Berger? I'm Anton Rosnikov, recently Exalted." He pauses, as if, for the first time in his life, he's at a loss for words. He had appeared so confident as he strode forward, but now that he was truly in Berger's presence, seems to have lost his nerve.

Upon closer examination, he isn't a human at all. His ears taper off to a point, and his green eyes have vertical slits, in place of round pupils. He's humanoid, of course, but not human. A Czerin, by the looks of him, with a deadly venomous bite.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #291

As she finishes talking, a young man walks up to Berger, clearly impressed with her. "Colonel Berger? I'm Anton Rosnikov, recently Exalted." He pauses, as if, for the first time in his life, he's at a loss for words. He had appeared so confident as he strode forward, but now that he was truly in Berger's presence, seems to have lost his nerve.

Upon closer examination, he isn't a human at all. His ears taper off to a point, and his green eyes have vertical slits, in place of round pupils. He's humanoid, of course, but not human. A Czerin, by the looks of him, with a deadly venomous bite.
    Recently exalted as what? Dragon-Blooded? Lunar?
    "Same here, really," she said with a reassuring smile. "To what do I owe the pleasure, Mister Rosnikov?"

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

"I... I'm just..." He stammers, and seems totally unnerved. "Excuse me for a moment."

Rosnikov pauses, takes a deep breath, and continues. "Right. I know that no one could truly replace Commander Tarkas, but I'm a Lunar, you see. Changing Moon. I thought that maybe I could try to fill his shoes."

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #293

"I... I'm just..." He stammers, and seems totally unnerved. "Excuse me for a moment."

Rosnikov pauses, takes a deep breath, and continues. "Right. I know that no one could truly replace Commander Tarkas, but I'm a Lunar, you see. Changing Moon. I thought that maybe I could try to fill his shoes."
    Berger gave him an indulgent smile. "Well, that's not going to be entirely my call. I may have just gotten promoted, but I don't know yet what my next duties will be, nor who I will be answering to.
    If I can have a Lunar on the team, though, it would obviously be appreciated. I'd be happy to take a look at your credentials."
    She wasn't going to commit to anything without even knowing the guy, but being polite and encouraging cost her nothing at this point.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

He smiles and nods. "Of course, ma'am. I'll have my credentials sent to you."

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #295

He smiles and nods. "Of course, ma'am. I'll have my credentials sent to you."
    "Do that," she said, still with an encouraging smile. "But hey, you're already here. Might as well tell us a bit more about yourself."

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

"Oh, right! Well, I'm a Czerin, born and raised on Vostok, like most of my people. I spent time in the Imperial Navy, working on recon missions. I've also made a few rebel leaders... disappear." He grins, and continues. "I've seen my fair share of combat, against both Malfeans and more mundane threats. I've also followed your career for a long time. And now that I've Exalted, I would be honored to serve under you." His smile implies he means that in more than one way.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #297

"Steady on there, lad." Watson says with a soft smile, interjecting himself into the conversation. "Still, Colonel, might I congratulate you on acquiring a... fan."

His tone is genial and easy-going, but there's the distinct impression that he was about to say something less positive. Stalker, perhaps.

28. - Top - End - #298

"I'm surprised that anyone has been following my career for a 'long time', I'll admit," said Berger. "Until not so long ago, I was just another mortal soldier." OK, so I had some impressive accomplishments in the special forces even then, but not something that the whole galaxy would notice...
    Truth was, while Berger maintained a friendly tone, Rosnikov wasn't making that good an impression. Taking out rebel leaders...well, it would have unfair to hold it against him, she supposed. He was a soldier for the Central Empire. So was she. And the flirting...Not too appropriate, even if she had been interested in males. But still, no reason to be unpleasant to the guy.

29. - Top - End - #299

Idly, Watson turned a hand over, allowing a small data-spirit in the shape of a green spider materialise there for a moment. With a thought, he sent it scurrying off in search of the formal service record of 'Anton Rosnikov'.

No harm in double checking...

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

The spider returns, whispering in Watson's ear, "The last record of an "Anton Rosnikov" in the Imperial Military died over 400 years ago."

Spoiler
    Show