New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Return of Malfeas IC

Quote Originally Posted by horus42 View Post
    He coughs up a bit of blood. "It's no good, Major. I'm done for. Win this war for me. You're an ugly pink monkey, but you fight like a Thark. It's up to you now... Commander Berger."

He goes limp, the life going out in his eyes.
    Erin Berger stared at him for a moment. She took a deep breath, then gently closed his eyes. "Rest in peace, Commander Tarkas. You have done well."
    Losing comrades and friends was never easy. It hadn't been the first time around, it wasn't this time, either. But the world could not afford for her to fall apart on the job. She strove to remain professional as she spoke to the Sidereal: "...What have you found, Watson?"
    Saga of Soul: Not your Typical Magical Girl Story.
    Where I Watch: My Little Pony

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

The yellow aura starts to die down as Watson gazes at the broken body of the Commander. He didn't usually encounter death quite this close and... visceral. It had almost always been detached, icons on the screen as he piloted his ship, or medical figures in the aftermath. Eventually, he takes a deep breath and turns to the Major... No, Commander now.

"Data storage unit." he says, unplugging the small device from the manse and holding it up. "Whatever Malfeas wants from here, it's on this device. I can probably analyze it back on the Mercury. We should probably go now. Before any other Malfeans arrive."
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

Avatar by Ifni, who is rightly awesome.

3. - Top - End - #123

Quote Originally Posted by Maugan Ra View Post
    The yellow aura starts to die down as Watson gazes at the broken body of the Commander. He didn't usually encounter death quite this close and... visceral. It had almost always been detached, icons on the screen as he piloted his ship, or medical figures in the aftermath. Eventually, he takes a deep breath and turns to the Major... No, Commander now.

"Data storage unit." he says, unplugging the small device from the manse and holding it up. "Whatever Malfeas wants from here, it's on this device. I can probably analyze it back on the Mercury. We should probably go now. Before any other Malfeans arrive."
    Berger nodded. She then spoke into the comm to the Dragon-Blooded stationed outside:
    "This is Major Berger speaking. We have had a hostile encounter with Malfean forces. The enemy is down, but so is commander Tarakas." She gave the commandos a moment to take the information in. She almost started the eulogy right then and there, but this was not the right place and time - that would be onboard the Mercury, and away from this location. "I am in command of this mission until further notice. We need some extra arms here to carry the commander, as well as one of the dead hostiles, a skraeling."
    She then turned her attention back to Watson. "We can't leave either of them here. The commander deserves a proper burial, and their bodies still carry an exaltation each, which we cannot allow to fall in enemy hands, even less than their equipment.
    Speaking of things we cannot allow to fall into enemy hands," she pointed at the mainframe, "we wanted to keep Malfeas from getting this data. Getting our own copy is good, but we can't leave it here - he'll just send more forces again, and ravage the commander's homeworld in the process."

Avatar by Lord Iames Osari, Grand Admiral Thrawn by Timothy Zahn. Thanks to both!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

The Dragon-Blooded come in, and carry both massive corpses out.

One of them, a young woman with short cropped blonde hair asks, "Any further orders, ma'am?"
    "What is it they say about how nothing can stop the mail?"
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."
    Check out my new Deviantart!

Quote Originally Posted by Kell_tamer
    Horus, I love you so so much you magnificent Egyptian pony god man!
    Previous Avatar by Cuthalion
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #125

Watson nods and turns to the terminal. He enters a few commands, deleting any and all data that the manse holds even as he stows the storage unit in his suit pocket.

"It's wiped, commander. Malfeas won't get anything from here. I'll get the shuttle started, and get us back to the Mercury."

With that, Watson turns and leaves the manse, heading for the shuttle. He's unusually quiet and somber.
    "Not trusting me might be the smartest decision you made since getting off of your horse."

6. - Top - End - #126

The Dragon-Blooded come in, and carry both massive corpses out.

One of them, a young woman with short cropped blonde hair asks, "Any further orders, ma'am?"
    Berger hesitated for a moment. "Do take the artifacts they dropped. Also just in case Malfeas sends more people here...rig the whole place to explode to explode as powerfully as you can manage in under 5 minutes. Program the mines to explode if someone enters the room, or within 72 hours, whichever comes first. Send a message to the local authorities to warn them, on the off-chance they think of sending anyone here during that short lapse of time. As soon as you're done, we're returning to the shuttle."
    All right. If there are more Malfeas forces, this will at least be a small bonus. If there aren't, at least they won't have anything left to find here.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

The young Dragon-Blood nods, and relays the orders to the others. Eventually, the room is cleared, with both Tarkas and the Skraeling on board the shuttle, along with their artifacts.

The Dragon-Blooded carry out Commander Berger's orders, and rig the Manse to explode. They're able to do it in time, and everyone is aboard the shuttle when time comes to launch and return to The Mercury.
    "Isn't it: In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall... No, wait. That's the Green Lantern Oath."

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

Watson pilots the shuttle back up to the Mercury without any real problems, docking smoothly and letting the bridge know to start heading away from the planet. The crew go into operation smoothly, getting the Mercury turned around and on course - anything they can do to be nowhere near Barsoom when Malfeas shows up.

The Sidereal, meanwhile, gestures for Berger to follow him as he heads for his office and personal quarters (they're the same room - Watson doesn't believe in too much personal space). He drops into a lovely, leather backed swivel chair with an air of exhaustion, and holds up the memory unit taken from the manse.

"Lets see if we can tell what Malfeas is after, shall we?"

With that, he plugs the unit into his personal computer and activates the holographic display to show it's contents. Making sure, of course, that his own machine is still isolated from the rest of the ship's systems.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

The holographic displays pop up, displaying what the schematics and code are for. You see a star, surrounded by planet-sized continents of crystal and glass. A quick perusal of the code itself reveals the awful truth.

They schematics are part of the blueprints for a new Stellar Intelligence.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #130

Berger's eyes got wide. "No wonder Malfeas thought this was important. A new Stellar Intelligence, without the programming that has bound the old ones out of the galaxy since the war, would be a major strategic game-changer." She paused. "And letting the Central Empire, or Solars outside of it, know how to create new Stellar Intelligences of their own...That, too, changes everything."

Spoiler
    Show
    How much information can we obtain on this theoretical Stellar Intelligence? Capabilities, programming...Berger can help Watson on a Lore roll if required.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

(Yeah, both of you roll Intelligence+Lore, to see how much information you can find.)

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

"We need more details," Berger mused, as her fingers began typing on the holographic display.
    "Compare to known schematics and records of pre-War Stellar Intelligences.
    Compare to observed evolution of Stellar Intelligences during the war.
    Search for what we know of any design laboratories who were located on Barsoom before the War. They may have left notes somewhere in the Celestial Mountain.
    Speaking of which: Watson, can we get some extra computing power for this from the Celestial Mountain? Maybe get help from spirits that have actually seen this sort of schematics back in the day?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to stunt the Intelligence+Lore roll. God-Mind Algorithms means that any Stunts are converted to Automatic Successes. Berger is also getting 3 auto-successes through her 2nd Excellency. I would tell you if she had Motes left after this if you bothered to actually tell me what I get from my Stunts.

(6d10)[1][3][4][7][2][3](20)

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by sun_tzu View Post
    "We need more details," Berger mused, as her fingers began typing on the holographic display.
    "Compare to known schematics and records of pre-War Stellar Intelligences.
    Compare to observed evolution of Stellar Intelligences during the war.
    Search for what we know of any design laboratories who were located on Barsoom before the War. They may have left notes somewhere in the Celestial Mountain.
    Speaking of which: Watson, can we get some extra computing power for this from the Celestial Mountain? Maybe get help from spirits that have actually seen this sort of schematics back in the day?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to stunt the Intelligence+Lore roll. God-Mind Algorithms means that any Stunts are converted to Automatic Successes. Berger is also getting 3 auto-successes through her 2nd Excellency. I would tell you if she had Motes left after this if you bothered to actually tell me what I get from my Stunts.

[roll0]
    ( My apologies! Take two dice on this one. I keep thinking "Yeah, that's an x-dice stunt" but then forgetting to post it.)

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

( My apologies! Take two dice on this one. I keep thinking "Yeah, that's an x-dice stunt" but then forgetting to post it.)
    ((Awesome! Now what about her Stunt during her second combat Action, or her medical Stunt to stabilize Tarkas? ))

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

((Awesome! Now what about her Stunt during her second combat Action, or her medical Stunt to stabilize Tarkas? ))
    (Take 3 for the combat action and two for the medical one!)

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136

(Take 3 for the combat action and two for the medical one!)
    ((3 for the "wave hand behind gun to create illusion of movement"? If I were GMing, it'd be a 1-die Stunt...
    That said: Between Excellency, stunt and roll, total of 6 successes on the Lore roll.))

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

((3 for the "wave hand behind gun to create illusion of movement"? If I were GMing, it'd be a 1-die Stunt...
    That said: Between Excellency, stunt and roll, total of 6 successes on the Lore roll.))
    (Oh, I was thinking of the wrong one. I forgot about that one. Looking back on it, do only take one die. Sorry.)

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

Watson whistles slowly as he looks at the displayed schematics. "Well. That changes just about everything." he mutters, impressed at the sheer scope of the possibilities in front of them. "I could get some feedback and assistance from the Mountain, true, but that would probably require us to go there. The Mountain's true capabilities are rarely utilized at long range. "

He considers this for a few moments, then sighs. "Ah, balls. Right, Commander, two choices. One, we take this back to the Mountain and see what we can make of it there. But we'd have to go now, before Malfeas knows about it, because I am not taking the risk that he'll follow us back there. That... would be bad. Or we can go with the original plan and taunt him, thus saving Barsoom, and maybe see if we can make it to the next relevant piece ahead of him. Send a report or something."

Spoiler
    Show
    And that Intelligence +Lore test...
    (6d10)[3][10][10][7][4][9](43)

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

The two of you looking together are able to find the following information about the proposed Stellar Intelligence:

It's programmed to be the perfect ruler. To impose order over the other Stellar Intelligences, and the galaxy as a whole. It has unparalleled levels of power, making Malfeas himself look weak in comparison. The designation given to this being is simply: "Theion"

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140

(Oh, I was thinking of the wrong one. I forgot about that one. Looking back on it, do only take one die. Sorry.)
    ((Goody! So she's got a total of 7 motes left. Also, spent 2 WP during the battle, and one Compassion Channel to help Tarkas...Does channeling Virtues also cost a WP?))

"Theion...Makes you wonder: If it had been brought online before Malfeas got rebellious, would there have been a Malfean War?"
    But this was not the time for musing about hypotheticals. "All right. Right now, our priority is leading Malfeas's navy away from populated areas. We're proceeding with the plan." She activated the ship's comm, trying to reach their superiors to report.

21. - Top - End - #141

"Right, you take care of that. I'll head to the bridge. Malfeas can't be far off by now."

With that said, Watson unplugs the data storage unit and tucks it back into his pocket (not trusting anything that might keep a record of it elsewhere). Clicking his neck to work out the minor fatigue, he heads for the bridge.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

(If I remember correctly, channeling a virtue does cost a point of WP)

The Admiral pops up on the screen. "Major Berger? Where's Commander Tarkas?"

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

(If I remember correctly, channeling a virtue does cost a point of WP)

The Admiral pops up on the screen. "Major Berger? Where's Commander Tarkas?"
    Berger closed her eyes for a couple of seconds. "I regret to inform you that Commander Tarkas was killed in action fighting Malfean forces on Barsoom. We encountered hostile forces in the ruins, including an Infernal Exalt. All hostiles were KIA. The commander died bravely, fighting their leader."
    She paused for an instant. "As Tarkas's 2nd-in-command, I have assumed command of this mission for now. With your permission, I would request to do so. As for our objectives, we have found what the ruins contained - the schematics for an extremely advanced Stellar Intelligence, even more powerful and sophisticated than Malfeas itself."
    Let's let that sink in for a moment.
    "Requesting permission to proceed with the next step of the plan. We are ready to broadcast a taunt in the direction of Malfeas's fleet."

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

Admiral Harshaw sighed. "Pity. I quite liked Tarkas. He was a good man. At any rate, permission granted, Commander Berger. Bring those Malfean sons of bitches here. We'll avenge Tarkas, and stop whatever Malfeas has planned for this new Stellar Intelligence. Though..." She paused. "It does beg the question... Why would Malfeas want to create a being more powerful than itself? What would stop it from destroying Malfeas outright, as soon as it was built? Malfeas is spiteful, but not stupid. It's practically suicide."

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #145

Admiral Harshaw sighed. "Pity. I quite liked Tarkas. He was a good man. At any rate, permission granted, Commander Berger. Bring those Malfean sons of bitches here. We'll avenge Tarkas, and stop whatever Malfeas has planned for this new Stellar Intelligence. Though..." She paused. "It does beg the question... Why would Malfeas want to create a being more powerful than itself? What would stop it from destroying Malfeas outright, as soon as it was built? Malfeas is spiteful, but not stupid. It's practically suicide."
    "Perhaps the goal wasn't to build this new Stellar Intelligence," Berger theorized. "Assuming Malfeas knew what these schematics were for, rather than just knowing they were important, he might be planning to upgrade himself with them." She paused. "On the other hand, if he wanted the schematics, I have to wonder why he took the risk of a full-blown invasion, instead of sending a covert team first.
    Regardless, we have to draw his forces away from Barsoom. I hope you've got the mother of all ambushes set up for them, Admiral." She paused. "...And if Malfeas is somehow a step ahead of us, then I hope you've got a good retreat path.
    She turned to the Sidreal. "Watson? Prepare the broadcast. We're going to paint a bullseye on ourselves for the biggest mass-murder in the universe...Right after I eulogize Commander Tarkas for the crew," she said, taking a deep breath.

26. - Top - End - #146

"You know, this is probably a very stupid plan. And I'm aware that I came up with it." Watson mutters, but he finishes his preparations all the same. "Ready, commander. Just got to wait for Malfeas to enter the system."

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

A few terse hours later, the sensors start wailing. Malfeas has arrived.

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

Berger nodded, then switched the comm to the ship's PA system.
    "This is Commander Berger speaking.
    Less than two hours ago, our ground team, led by Commander Tarkas, encountered hostile forces on Barsoom's surface. These forces, serving the Stellar Intelligence Malfeas, are waging war on the galaxy. They will not stop until all races have been enslaved or exterminated.
    Commander Tarkas knew that only too well. When faced with one of the dreaded Infernal Exalts that spearhead Malfeas's armies, he charged headfirst. He fought against an enemy capable of slaughtering armies with exemplary courage.
    We won that fight, but not without a heavy price. Commander Tarkas gave his life to stop our enemies.
    He was an exemplary officer. Fair, brave, and dutiful. His race has at times been considered disloyal to the Empire by some. His homeworld of Barsoom has suffered greatly in recent memory. But he remained a paragon of what a military officer should be, fighting for the safety of the people.
    We will not allow his sacrifice to be in vain. We will not allow his homeworld of Barsoom to be overrun by Malfeas's twisted forces. We are soldiers. Our purpose is the protection of civilians.
    During our ground engagement, we were able to retrieve that which Malfeas seeks. As such, we are now going to bait Malfeas away from Barsoom. As any of you may imagine, playing bait for a Stellar Intelligence, even with the Imperial Navy backing us up, is dangerous indeed. But like Commander Tarkas, we will do our duty. The people of the galaxy need us to."

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, other than that, ready to taunt Malfeas. Are we supposed to wait for him, or just send the message now?

EDIT: Darn, you posted while I was writing this.
    So...for Essence purpose, how much time has elapsed since the fight?
    Last edited by sun_tzu; 2012-10-11 at 12:42 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

"All right, ladies and gentlemen, time to make our marks in the history books!" Watson calls out to his crew, even as his hands dance across the control panels. His yellow aura flares into life once again, as the Mercury begins to speed up. "Sensors, get me an image of that thing on the screen. Defense crews, to your stations, I do not want my ship shot full of holes."

He turns and grins at Berger. "Well, time to see if this works. Opening wide band communication channel... He'll hear this, the bastard."

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Griffon

(I'll say it's been around 12 hours)

Spoiler
    Show