New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

Artanis, unwilling to head into any traps, tried to look for his sword before entering into Bloody Bill's.

It's hard to hide Solahel... I never thought it would work in my favor though.

If he saw his sword he would send Mycah back to the Nut to inform the others. Otherwise, he would try to talk Mycah into going into Bloody Bill's instead of him.

"If the thieves are there, I don't want them to know that we're on to them. Besides, the last time I tried asking in seedy place like this I... had a little trouble with bouncers."

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC 14: (1d20)[14]
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna, oblivious to anything Talsarios gleaned from this Fang's thoughts, continues merrily, not knowing much about Marie, only the rumors of her disappearance. "I think we're almost done here… what do you know about Marie Takish and where she might be?"
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash thinks it's best for one of them to stay back and wait for anyone who might get separated and regroup at the tavern as planned. "I'll stay here in case someone comes back before you've found them. We can all still meet here, but you might have luck speeding up the process if you both head to the prison for Alanna and Talsarios."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

"We should all avoid going out alone from now on. Maybe even in groups of three, minimum, just to avoid being ambushed in town like this."

Bran looks a little worried; he has a very large family and any one of them might be targeted by the party's enemies.

He looks at Nathros. "Shall we go? I can't believe I'm going to jail."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah follows along with Artanis and grow s more than a little frustrated at their apparent dead end. He had hoped that they'd be able to follow the tracks to a specific building before they mingled with the crowds again, but obviously their prey were smarter than that.

He studies the rundown facades of Bloody Bills and the flophouse next door, weighing his options. While Artanis seems to think his sword will be sitting out in plain sight waiting for him, Mycah has no such illusions.
    "Well, your sword is pretty distinctive, so if someone in there has it, it'll be noticeable, I'd guess. I don't relish the thought of going in there alone, but you sure can't. They know your face for sure." He sighs, then squares his shoulders. "I'll go in and have a drink - scope the place out and see if there's anything obvious. you wait here. If I come running out... well, you'd better run too. There will probably be a lot of them following us both. Just remember, we can't do much alone. If I DO find something, we'll still need to come back with the rest to get it back for you."
    Spoiler
    Show

Probably foolish, but Mycah will take the chance of going into the bar. Buy a drink at the bar and as he drinks it, survey the place, see if anyone is showing off Solahel, or bragging about the hit on the elf. If he does find out anything, he'll leave and report to Artanis what he heard, and try to get him to go back for help rather than charge in alone.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis nodded and tried to hide himself so that he could keep an eye on the bar, keep within bowshot, yet have a clear view of his surroundings.

He then decided to nock his bow just in case they needed to beat a hasty retreat.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hide?/Stealth? DC 14?: (1d20)[11]
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

7. - Top - End - #37
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

"Who? Never 'eard of 'er."

Talsarios finds his thoughts confirm as much. Even if he heard about her abduction around town, as many had, he certainly had no recollection of it. His thoughts return then to the cloaked man who came to give orders to him and his pal Gerd. Not Viper, he knew, but a scary dude, for sure. The man snuck into their locked room without a sound and sidled between him and the window, blocking not only their view of the tall ship but blotting out the sun.

The man shivers visibly and retreats to the back of his cell. "If you know where Viper is, you know more than me. But yer still gonna die if you cross 'im."

The man's thoughts seem to try to wish his inquisitors away and wander to thoughts of rescue by a gang of Fangs or maybe a bribed jailor or maybe something supernatural.

When he realizes the pair is still there, he adds, "I'm not saying no more."

---
    Artanis finds the area offering many good spots, a few with tall shadows and great views of the door to Bloody Bill's.

---
    Mycah had been in several bars this evening but this was by far the worst he'd seen in his life. A bloody ring was roped off in the center and two men, drunk on ale or blows to the head or both seemed to circle artlessly as they swung wildly at each other. Several sailors seemed to be watching with some interest. The place was simple, dark, and surprisingly crowded. No obvious sign of anyone out of place or having entered recently. No sign of Artanis' enormous blade, either. The occasional "ooh" and "aah" punctuates the general loud din in the bar as a fighter takes a blow. Mycah gets served a weak and low quality brew, and the barkeep asks, "you want a turn in the ring?"
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis watched in the shadows as Mycah entered the tavern and kept an arrow nocked in his bow, prepared for a hostile encounter.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

"Thank you, you've been most helpful," Talsarios says to the thug, as he finishes writing his notes and stands up.
    "By the way - if we're going to die for just knowing who Viper is, what do you think will happen to you for spilling the beans? Hm? Cheerio!"
    And with that, he takes Alanna's hand and sweeps out, in what he hopes is a suitably dramatic fashion.
    Once outside, in a quieter voice he whispers to the priestess: "You were splendid! Let's get back to the others: we've got a bundle of news here!"

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash continues to wait at the bar as that was where was agreed upon. Nathros and Brandon may have wished to find the others, but she'll remain either way.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Mycah had been in several bars this evening but this was by far the worst he'd seen in his life. A bloody ring was roped off in the center and two men, drunk on ale or blows to the head or both seemed to circle artlessly as they swung wildly at each other. Several sailors seemed to be watching with some interest. The place was simple, dark, and surprisingly crowded. No obvious sign of anyone out of place or having entered recently. No sign of Artanis' enormous blade, either. The occasional "ooh" and "aah" punctuates the general loud din in the bar as a fighter takes a blow. Mycah gets served a weak and low quality brew, and the barkeep asks, "you want a turn in the ring?"
    Mycah drank his ale as he watched the fight and let his gaze wander around the room. "What, me?" He chuckles and raises his arms as if to say With this body? "I heard about the place and thought I'd check it out. Maybe make a wager or two and try my luck. But get in there? No thanks friend."

He'll finish his cup, then nod to the bartender and say. "Maybe another night. Not sure how my luck's holding out tonight, I'm afraid. Thanks for the drink." He'll toss a couple coppers on the bar and make his way out, the see if he can find Artanis. Time to report a resounding lack of success.
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2012-10-10 at 04:15 PM.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros raises an eyebrow at Ashala's decision, but decides not to make an issue of it. "Seems like everyone is acting cursed strange this evening, each heeding only their own head, almost like the taint of chaos has fallen on us," he mutters, as he and Brandon head towards the prison.
    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-10-10 at 02:52 PM.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran nods as he walks beside Nathros to the prison. "This is a cursed day. I can't believe one of my companions got mugged. Here. Where I live."

"And he is even an elf. It is an outrage, having an elven guest be mugged."

Bran keeps looking around as he walks, clanking in his armor. He bears his mother's lion shield openly and keeps his hand close to his sword.

14. - Top - End - #44

"All right!" Alanna says heartily. "We're meeting up at a tavern, right? I can't remember where exactly… has it been an hour?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Nathros and Brandon make it a mere block from the bar before coming across the two spellcasters on their way back from the prison.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-10-11 at 08:55 AM.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis, seeing Mycah coming out unharmed, slumped a little in disappointment.

A conflict would have meant that he found something...

However, he did not reveal himself, unwilling to show himself in the event that Mycah had been followed.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

The Thyatian scholar is strolling along in the twilight street with an air of self-satisfaction.
    "Oh, hello there, chaps!" waves Talsarios as the fighters approach. "I thought we were meeting at the Nut? No matter... We've got a veritable heap of news - we'd best get some semblance of privacy before we discuss it all, though, eh?"

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

Mycah probably isn't followed out. After a few moments, Artanis may reveal himself to Mycah and perhaps they will return for a reunion at the Nut as planned.

Ash waits patiently.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis took one last look around. He decided to show himself to Mycah and go back to the Nut with him.

He allowed Mycah to lead the way as he did not trust his sense of direction.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros greets his erstwhile companions, and herds them back to the Nut. "Two down, two to go."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

21. - Top - End - #51

Alanna strolls merrily down the street with her three companions. As she walks, she chatters about inconsequential things, not mentioning anything suspicious.
    "How've you guys been doing? You know, before tonight. What have you been up to these last few days? I've been at the temple doing priestessy things!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

"Mainly, drinking."
    Last edited by Matthew; 2012-10-13 at 12:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

"Talking with my family and painting the monsters we encountered, for posterity."

"I'm not a very good painter yet, but it doesn't take great art to depict a giant tentacled worm."

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Once the group has arrived at the Nut, greeted Ashala, and Talsarios has overcome his disappointment at the provincial stock of wines carried by the inn and availed himself of a cup of mead ("One cannot go far wrong when brewing honey, I hope!") - the Thyatian pulls up a chair to table and takes out his note book and quill.
    "I should like to see your painting!" the scholar smiles to Brandon, while he busies himself with copying his interrogation notes out into a legible form.
    "Myself, I have been training with Merlinda. Most informative and enlightening! Also, through practice, I believe I have overcome the worst of my ineptitudes with the late Gregoras's sword - I hope to honour his name by enchanting the blade some day... but I am getting ahead of myself. First, I should like a chance to test my skill, in a safe manner, with one of you fighters, before I need to rely on it in earnest!"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

After everyone's gotten comfortable, Ash asks, "So what information have our two teams gleaned with regards to the Fangs hideout and the possible kidnapping of Marie?"

26. - Top - End - #56

Alanna, who's inexperienced with matters of liquor, orders a glass of wine without actually thinking. Not wanting to remain silent, she says, "I think we hit a dead end when asking about Marie, but we learned some cool things about the Fangs. Talsarios will be able to tell you everything he learned -- he has an amazing mind-reading spell!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis arrived with Mycah in tow, Artanis disheartened and frustrated, and slammed his gauntlet into a wall.

"We were so close! I hate city tracking."

He quickly explained their foray to the tavern.

"Mycah went into Bloody Bill's since we thought it best that I don't show myself around shortly after being mugged. Although it might have been slightly amusing to see their reactions to seeing someone apparantly back from the dead."

He said this last part with the merest shadow of a smile.

He let Mycah explain what he had gleaned from Bloody Bill's when he saw Alanna order herself some wine.

"Have you ever actually had alcohol? If not, I would suggest something lighter or just clean water."

He once again thought of his first run-in with alcohol and having magic arrow prepared that day.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran looks embarrassed at Talsarios' interest in his paintings. He starts to babble.

"Oh, they're not that good yet... You don't want to see them... The sunlight hasn't been really great lately, and I'm sure the depiction has suffered... I may be remembering the exact colors wrong, since our battles were mostly underground and all I had to see the monsters with was torchlight... Also I've had a headache... My nieces and nephews have been SCREAMING their heads off since I got home... "

Then his eyes narrow.

"Wait, you want to cast spells on.... on me and Nathros? You're not planning to Charm us, are you? I don't want to be Charmed."

Bran doesn't even dare mention the prospect of casting a spell on Lady Ashala, though he twitches at the idea.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

"What? No! I mean my skill with a sword." Talsarios says in alarm at Brandon's suggestion.
    "Best you all look over my notes," he says, passing his neatly copied record over for scrutiny.

Spoiler
    Show

Questions:
    • Have you ever heard of the Fangs?
    • What kind of things do they do?
    • Do you know any members, or where their headquarters are?
    • What kind of things usually happen to people who don't mind their own business?

Answers: Note: much of the target's thoughts on these subjects seem rehearsed, like mantras or oaths, but they also seem truthful and not fabricated.

THINKS:
    • The Fangs do what they're told. I know Gerd; he's in the next cell. We're Fangs. The Fangs are everywhere and nowhere. Our orders come from the Viper.
    • Regarding headquarters: target's thoughts are a series of images (these are the target's speculations or guesses): a warehouse by the river, a bar called Bloody Bill's in the docks, and a patch of riverbank.
    • Target did not understand last question.

THINKS: (General thought, not related to any enquiry) Images of a man wearing a Fang amulet similar to the one recovered in the caves west of town. Also, appears to fantasise his rescue by other Fangs.

Questions:
    • So who gives your orders?
    • Is Viper the top boss?

Answers:
    • SAYS: "Viper gives all the orders."
    • THINKS: Target imagines / recalls a cloaked figure wearing a fang amulet, who he knows was not Viper himself, barged in on he and Gerd (a fellow prisoner), who were sharing a second-floor room overlooking the docks.
    • Target recalls the order: "A wealthy elf has been asking around about the Fangs. Six pairs of fangs will be meeting in the market square at dusk to deal with him. Be there."
    • SAYS: "You two are probably already dead for asking about Viper. He's the headman."
    • THINKS: Target's fear is real and he means what he says, his thoughts betray the fact he's never seen the one called Viper.

Question: Where is Marie?
    Answer:
    • SAYS: "Who? Never 'eard of 'er."
    • THINKS: confirm as much. Even if he heard about her abduction around town, as many had, he certainly had no recollection of it.
    • Target's thoughts return then to the cloaked man who came to give orders to him and his pal Gerd. Not Viper, he knew, but a scary dude, for sure. The man snuck into their locked room without a sound and sidled between him and the window, blocking not only their view of the tall ship but blotting out the sun.
    • SAYS: "If you know where Viper is, you know more than me. But yer still gonna die if you cross 'im."

THINKS:
    • seem to try to wish us away. Fantasies wander to thoughts of rescue by a gang of Fangs or maybe a bribed jailor or maybe something supernatural.
    • When he realized we were still there, SAYS: "I'm not saying no more."

"Oh, and chaps?" he adds, apologetically, "Please don't broadcast that I can cast that spell. If it becomes common knowledge, it'll make everyone wary and suspicious of me."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-10-14 at 03:22 AM. Reason: adding quotes

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    "What? No! I mean my skill with a sword." Talsarios says in alarm.
    Brandon Bor

Bran looks relieved. "Oh, that's all right then."