New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #811
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

As Brandon hands Alanna Artanis' parting gift, the young cleric assumes a sober expression.
    "He's… gone? Just like that?"
    Why, though? We were making great progress! What on earth could possibly drive him to act like that? I bet he made it really hard to track him… first Talsarios, now Artanis. I'm gonna miss that elf…

Alanna remains uncharacteristically silent and unresponsive for the rest of the night. Anyone who attempts to get her attention will have to repeat her name a couple of times before she looks up.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #812
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran nods in agreement to Mycah and Alanna.

"Yes, he just handed me the hammer and spikes and holy water, then gave me a message for Alanna."

"Then he left. With no warning. Poof!"

Bran still looks dazed, as if he's not quite believing what happened.

"After all the trouble I went through to find his sword, too."

"Oh, speaking of which, I really despise the Guild in general and Montague Summers in particular. Wanting -us- in debt to the Guild for a favor, in exchange for a sword that wasn't even magical."

"I wasn't going to fall into that trap, of course. But it is insulting that Summers insisted on a favor."

Despite his dazedness, the young fighter looks quite determined in his dislike and distrust of the Guild.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2013-02-18 at 03:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #813
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by thirdkingdom View Post
    ...Considering your suggestions further, perhaps it would be wise to appear as a small caravan, or even better, homesteaders returning after a fruitful shopping trip to Threshold. The promise of unguarded wealth -- albeit in the form of trade goods -- should do much to tempt our foe and make him careless."
    "Exactly."

"Though I have one apprehension still. If you're to be a driver, how is it you'll stop a hail of arrows if they catch us a little off guard? I still think it should be Brandon and I."

4. - Top - End - #814
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nevaera View Post
    "Exactly."

"Though I have one apprehension still. If you're to be a driver, how is it you'll stop a hail of arrows if they catch us a little off guard? I still think it should be Brandon and I."
    Algernon "Algie" Blackthorn, Magic-user

Algernon holds up his hands in mock surrender. "Very well! As long as you believe you and Bran can hide your armor well enough. But I would like to be in a position to act quickly; I can subdue a large number of the enemy with a single spell. I would be curious to see what our companions think of our plan. We have heard little or nothing from them on the matter at hand."

5. - Top - End - #815

RangerGuy

Mycah listens closely to the planning, but has little to offer.
    "You're probably right that Nathros and I stand a chance of being recognized, but I agree with Ash this time. Whatever magic you have won't do you much good if you don't have a chance to react to an ambush. At least her and Bran are armored. I just don't like the idea of anyone being the bait. Too dangerous."

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

6. - Top - End - #816
    Titan in the Playground

"It would be hard going with a cart through the untracked forest; we ought to see which roads run near to where we sighted the hobgoblins."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"Yes, that would be useful. You two can sort that out this evening if you have a map."

8. - Top - End - #818

Mindful of the need for a clear head the next day, Algernon retires to his room before it gets too late. Upon rising, he reads over his spellbook, memorizing those spells as he thinks will be helpful. He assists as needed with the loading of the wagons, and will take his appointed place, hopefully in the back of the lead wagon.

Spoiler
    Show
    Memorizing two sleeps and a web.

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash is satisfied with the plan so she retires shortly after solidifying it with the whole group, making sure they all know their roles and what to be prepared with.

Aside, she asks Alanna to speak with the most knowledgeable in her temple and ask them if the know much about the Immortal Spiders.

She asks Brandon if his family has any farmer-like clothes that would easily fit over their armor as robes would. If he has nothing at his home, Ash will look through the closets at Bost's. If there aren't any simple robes there, she'll have to go buy some from the market in the morning.
    She also asks Brandon if he has any carts at his farm that could be used. If not, maybe he and the others could arrange to have some picked up after everyone meets at the horse stables in the morning.

She will take on the responsibility of organizing the horse rental, as planned before. Now she knows better how many she needs so, for now, she'll rent six so there's four for each of two carts. She'll arrange that her warhorse is one leading the front cart so that it won't be spooked if the carts get attacked. She suggests the same of Brandon's horse for leading the other cart. "I hope they don't take the time to notice what type of horses we have..."

Spoiler
    Show
    Hopefully Bold helps Frivolous see his parts when he reads on a tiny device. ^_^

Duties:
    Brandon (if possible) - secure farmers garments for over armor.
    - find two carts from the farm.
    Nathros & Mycah - find if there's a road that goes close to scouting spot where hobgobs were.
    Alanna - Ask about Immortal Spider with Temple Leaders.
    Algie - prepare spells. (I didn't have anything else. >.< But, he could help Ash at the stables if he has time and wants to. )
    Ash - secure 6 more horses to pull carts.
    - maybe find some robes.

Everyone - meet at stables in am.

10. - Top - End - #820

RangerGuy

Before the evening planning session wraps, Mycah works with Nathros to plot out a reasonable route for their expedition. There should be at least a few homesteaders out that way, and trails leading to their holdings.

Come morning, he checks his supplies, dons his armor and puts a cloak on over it all. He'll plan to ride in the back of the second cart, hood up so he's covered up and unrecognizable. His bow and arrows can be hidden by his feet, ready to grab should the attack come.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

11. - Top - End - #821
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran agrees and borrows some old clothes from his family's farm to wear over everyone's armor.

"The looks of a draft horse and warhorse aren't that far apart... But of course we can't put a saddle on a cart horse. That would definitely give it away."

12. - Top - End - #822

Alanna grins somewhat sheepishly as she comes to the temple elders for information yet again.
    "Uh, good evening. It's me again… well, it's not really an urgent matter or anything, but my teammates and I were wondering if anyone knew about the Immortal Spider… yeah, I've never really heard of it, sounds like a weird cult… but would you happen to know anything about it?"
    After hearing whatever the elders have to say, Alanna rests herself. Since she didn't cast any of the spells she prepared today, she has no need to ask for spells — but she spends her usual time in prayer anyway.
    When she's done with prayers, getting dressed, and breakfast, Alanna rides to the stables, eager for the coming day.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #823
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The busy Bor farm has plenty of farm clothes free for the borrowing. Carts can also be borrowed, but with slightly more concern. They aren't needed immediately, but they're important to the farm business.

The party can be outfitted with horses, carts, clothes, and other mundane preparations in short order. Throwing their name around and a description of the task at hand, the party can hire a quartet of crossbowmen overnight at rate of 4 gp/fornight, paid in advance.

---
    Alanna finds the the elders uncharacteristically concerned. "The Immortal Spider? There are a pair, The Trickster and the Spider Queen. Both use the symbol of the spiders and have a spider form. Both are ancient deceivers. But while he is a well-meaning, if troublesome figure, but she is pure chaos and evil. They have battled each other across the ages in games of misdirection. But no sign of spider cults has been heard of around here, though, and the local Traladaran's have no spider legends that we are aware of.

Be careful, young one, anything to do with the spider immortals is probably not what it seems."

---
    The party begins its journey through town, out the South Gate, and along the riverside trail past Bost's Keep. No significant trails lead toward the last sign of hobgoblins, the but the forest is relatively thin, and a winding trail can taken around the significant hills.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

14. - Top - End - #824
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros, aided by several tankards of black beer, helps Mycah to plot out their course, and retires at a reasonable hour. The next day he eats a hearty breakfast, dons his armour and hefts his pole-axe, anticipating the work to come.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

15. - Top - End - #825
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran hires the 4 crossbowmen.

He rides in the cart, partly because men in armor walk differently and partly because it's his family's cart.

To aid in the disguise, Bran starts to sing farming songs, the kind that men and women can chant for hours to make the work go by more quickly.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2013-02-21 at 09:51 AM.

16. - Top - End - #826

Algernon requests to ride in the leading cart, so that he might be in the best possible position to bring his arcane mastery quickly to bear in the event if an ambush. He hurdles down in the back of the wagon, trying to hide as best as possible, sling loaded and ready.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash is content with the arrangements made and guides the horses of the foremost cart down the predetermined road as smoothly as she can while sitting at the front of the cart.
    She tries her best to use the clothes, her cloak, and the blankets to conceal her armor, weapons, and shield at her side.

She'll hum a little - a bit shy of her singing voice and unfamiliar with Brandon's songs. At least my voice won't seem intimidating, she muses to herself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ash, Algie, and five more on first cart (Ash driving).
    Brandon driving second cart with Mycah and four more.
    Recommend crossbowmen on back cart and hirelings on front cart.
    Nathros and Alanna on first cart then? For the sake of easier math.

18. - Top - End - #828

Alanna rides in the first cart. Unless she's instructed to crouch down, she'll sit behind Ash and hum along. Her voice is nothing special, but she doesn't seem to lack any confidence. While they ride, she mulls over what the clerics said.
    The whole business sounds really dangerous… plus ew, spiders. The queen is more evil, and the trickster is nice but dangerous… I wonder if it'd be possible to gain his help against her? No, at the temple they said that it's dangerous to get involved with either of them…
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2013-02-21 at 09:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #829

Algernon agrees to the marching order as proposed by Ashala.

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

If the carts are driven past the locations where they hope to intersect the hobgoblins, she'll pull over and pretend to check a wheel.
    To Nathros (as he's on the first cart and has been here before) she asks, "Should we start scouting from here maybe?"

21. - Top - End - #831
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

A morning and part of the afternoon is spent traveling, and while one might expect to find all manner of beasts out here in the wilderness, the party encounters nothing. The pair of wagons winds its way through the lightly wooded hills to the spot where Nathros and Mycah fought the hobgoblins. The bodies are gone, likely hauled off by scavengers. The escaped hobgoblin fled south across increasingly broken land and sparsely wooded land. No signs of ambush or nearby encampment is apparent.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran looks around futilely.

"This would have been a good time to have a good hunting dog around."

He asks the 3 hirelings, "Any of you good with dogs and training dogs?"

He tells the others, "If we set up a campfire, any hobgoblins around might come to investigate the smoke and try to ambush us. Then we could ambush them."

"It might be easier on our feet than walking around looking for them."

23. - Top - End - #833
    Titan in the Playground

"Let us look for some tracks."

24. - Top - End - #834
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash thinks Brandon's idea is a great plan B, but - to save time - she agrees that looking for tracks might be better for now. She also reminds them something she recalls from their talk at Bost's Keep, "They're accustomed to sleeping in the day, right? I wish I'd thought of it earlier, but I think our only option in the day is to find their layer.
    "Otherwise we could make a couple camps - one with a fire and obvious noise - the other silent and hidden, ready to flank our attackers.

"For now, a scouting party ... comprised of Nathros, Mycah ... and a couple horses for quick retreat or return rather than engaging. Brandon's and my horse are both warhorses, so they won't spook so easily.

"Or, perhaps we could all trudge behind you as you track. We'd have to leave the carts here then, but I wouldn't suggest leaving anyone behind in that case. They'd be sitting ducks for any creature to happen by.

"What say you both?"
    She asks Mycah and Nathros mainly, since they'd be the scouts. This gives them the opportunity to decide how confident they are finding the tracks and safely getting back to the party versus knowing the tracks will be clear so they may lead the party straight to the enemy.

25. - Top - End - #835

"I will volunteer to scout as well. My magic can incapacitate a large number of enemies, which will be helpful if we stumble across a number of hobgoblins. "

26. - Top - End - #836

"It sounds like a good plan," says Alanna quietly, "but I don't really like the idea of leaving these carts unprotected. I don't want them to be destroyed on our watch. I like Brandon's idea better. Besides, it's not too long until nightfall."
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #837
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash is fine with setting up camp not too far away while Nathros, Mycah, and maybe Algernon scout, so long as they bring at least her warhorse. Since everyone left in the morning, it's probably not late enough to hope for sundown yet. However, it could give everyone a chance to chat and get organized with sensible lookout locations.

28. - Top - End - #838

"Begging your pardon, milady Alanna, but I believe the proposal was to send out a small group of two or three, leaving four trained crossbowmen, three stalwart retainers and three IR four battle-hardened warriors behind. If you are suggesting such a doughty band insufficient to guard the wagons, then perhaps we would be better off to return to Threshold with our tails between our legs! Now, allow me to survey the land, briefly. "

Algernon stands and clicks his heels together, twice. For an instant nothing happens, then he begins to rise off the ground! Ten feet, twenty, thirty, until he is high enough to survey the land for several miles around, searching for signs of their quarry -- woodsmoke, despoiled land, anything that might offer a clue."

29. - Top - End - #839
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran shakes his head at the plan of a few of the party scouting ahead.

"I don't want to split up if we can help it. That's how people get killed. If we're not going camp and lay a trap, we should just keep heading south and hope to find the hobgoblins."

Then Algernon begins to rise up into the air and Bran's jaw drops.

"You can fly." He looks at the others. "He can fly!"

30. - Top - End - #840

Alanna scowls.
    "It sounded like she meant we all were gonna follow the scouts," she mutters.
    She's just as surprised as Bran when Algernon starts flying.
    "If he can fly, why are we sending scouts on foot?"
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2013-02-23 at 06:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show