New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 41920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

"Lack of information is how people get killed. That is why scouting is so important in war, and I can tell you the rules are little different for travelling merchants. Without information we might as well be walking about with our eyes covered."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

2. - Top - End - #842
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Nathros and Mycah can easily find the trail leading south where the hobgoblin fled in haste. It is also likely that hobgoblin patrols have been through this area repeatedly given the beating some of the local flora has taken. But the clear path is south.

Algie rises high enough to see beyond the nearby trees. The trees do grow more sparse ahead, and a mostly open plain sits before a ravine due south of where the party now waits. An encampment lies in the open plain near the edge of the ravine. It occurs to Algie that as surely as he can see them, anyone in the camp looking up can certainly see him, too.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #843
    Bugbear in the Playground

Algernon "Algie" Blackthorn, Magic-user

Algernon returns to the ground to report his findings. "There is an encampment due south of here. I do not believe I was seen, as I have learned that most species hardly every look up, but I would suggest caution in the approach. Perhaps it would even be wise to circle around and approach from another direction. If it is the hobgoblin encampment, it is likely they have perimeter guards stationed about. How far away, I know not, but it raises the question of whether we proceed with abandon in the hopes of surprising them with our ruse, or shall we secret the carts nearby and proceed on foot, as stealthily as possible? A third option, I suppose, would be to send one or two onwards on horseback, to stumble upon the guards and camp, then flee back here, in the hopes of drawing the bulk of their forces to a location of our choosing -- drawing them out into an ambush, in other words."

4. - Top - End - #844
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash tips her head and leans to the side as she watches as Algernon raise up into the air as if on an extremely high pulley lift. "That's certainly a handy ability."

After hearing Algernon's suggestions, she replies, "All good ideas. I put my lot in for the second one. We can leave a few men near to protect the horses and carts while the rest of us flank the encampment. Luring them into bunches without being caught among them would be ideal for the sleep spells. Alanna, your blessing could give us aid just before we all advance.

"I believe we should prepare to send a volley or two as soon as we're close enough - preferably while still taking cover in the trees. Our guardsmen and the crossbowmen can contribute to that initially, then fall back and let Nathros, Brandon, and I prepare to handle the close combat while Algernon casts sleep on ranged archers or other clusters.

"I see a danger in luring them to us. Some may come immediately, but some may stay back to prepare and then come attack us with fresh vigor after we've expended ourselves.

"Does anyone have any added insight to offer?"

5. - Top - End - #845

The young mage seems inordinately pleased that his ideas are receiving such a warm reception after the chilly start to the relationship. "Ah, so you too are a person of action, milady, and would prefer to take the fight to our enemy! The only suggestion I might make is to move the carts with us for a bit. That way, if I was seen, it will be less likely a scouting party will discover them if they come looking. We might be able to get by with leaving a single guard with the carts, if we were sure they were well hidden and far enough away from here."

6. - Top - End - #846

The hirelings and mercenaries are likewise impressed by the feat of levitation. They clamber out of the carts and prepare to move ahead on foot in whatever configuration they are ordered.
    Forum Rules

7. - Top - End - #847
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"I was thinking the same, and to maybe find some fallen trees to cover the carts with as a basic disguise.
    "Though, I'm sure the horses will still be highly visible, no matter where we put them. That's why the crossbowmen should probably fall back to there to protect them and the carts. However, carts can be rebuilt, but lives can not be returned if lost.

"All agreed with the plan then?"

If the plan is agreed upon, Ash will give out her instruction to the hirelings and the mercenaries to follow the group as the second wave, then to take up positions along side everyone to send a volley or two, then to flee back to where the carts and horses are and take cover (likely using the carts for that). After that, they must be prepared to adapt to a change of orders if necessary and they must inform the the party immediately if enemies are spotted that plan to attack them.

While the party cautiously travels toward the encampment, she will have others grab any fallen young trees/large branches they find to use as camouflage for the carts to be hidden behind.

A still safe distance away, she'll quickly orchestrate the melding of the carts with the woodlands and the spots she recommends the crossbowmen to hide in after they fall back.

She'll also ask if Alanna is okay with them carrying one of her healing potions for an emergency, as Alanna will be with the main group to heal and use her pendant/heal-once-per-day item.

Ash was subtly grateful for the compliments offered by Algernon.

Edit: She would also like the crossbowmen to have their bolts loaded at all times - and of course to be cautious where they aim them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Front to Back (unless someone asks to switch):
    Ash
    Brandon
    Nathros
    Algernon
    Mycah
    Alanna
    Hirelings (3)
    Crossbowmen (4)
    Horses (2 war + 4 work)
    Carts (2)
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-02-25 at 10:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #848
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran agrees that it's a workable idea.

"We should be prepared to give them chase if and when they run back to their camp."

Forgetting that he has hirelings, Bran saddles his new warhorse himself.

9. - Top - End - #849

RangerGuy

Once they've found clear evidence of the hobgoblins (or so he assumes) moving to the south, Mycah suggests to Nathros that they return to the group and report, and plan what to do next.
    -------------
    Upon hearing of Algie's discovery of the camp to the south, he quickly agrees that it's most likely the very hobgoblins they seek.

"While I know we'll probably need the strength of the group to carry out our attack, I think we'll be better off to let just one or two of us do a bit of scouting first. We can see how they are organized, see if they have lookouts posted, that sort of thing. I can understand you don't want to split us up, Bran, but gathering that information is my job. I can move much more quietly than this group can. With our numbers, the animals, the armor... We aren't sneaking up an anyone this way." He looks to Ash for support, reluctant though it may be. "You know I'm right Ash. It's safer for everyone if I go alone."

Even as he says this though, he pauses and looks sideways at Algie. "Although Algie here might have a point about his magic," he admits. "He'll be quiet, or should be without armor, and if we do get caught by surprise, a sleep spell will be handy. What do you think, Nathros? I'd want you by my side in a stand-up fight, but you have to admit you're not too quiet in that armor."

No matter who ends up going, Mycah will leave behind his pack for better mobility and stealth, and just take his weapons as he scouts ahead. No matter what the plan is, he'll argue he should be out ahead on point and not stuck behind the group.
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2013-02-25 at 02:42 PM.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

10. - Top - End - #850

"I would be honored to accompany you, Sir Mycah, as a scout. While I am in favor of sending a scouting party ahead of the main group I shall defer to the consensus in this manner, 'tho it seems to me there are three who have already spoken in favor in of a forward sweep: Nathros, Mycah and myself."

11. - Top - End - #851
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash frowns in contemplation of Mycah's suggestion. "Alanna, will you give them a potion in the case of an emergency please?"

To Mycah and Algernon, "Just a little bird watching though. Nothing heroic. You got it? Keep your distance and immediately head back to us if there's any chance of them coming after you. We'll be ready to volley and charge if you give the order."

She warns Mycah and Algernon, "This could easily end very badly if they see you first." She's obviously concerned, but remembers that this is Mycah's playground, unlike in the caves.

12. - Top - End - #852
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran says, "I don't like it."

"The hobgoblins have probably had enough time and manpower...goblinpower... to set up sentries and hidden watchposts. It would be much easier for them to spot you than for you to spot them."

"I -know- we can win any fight that we meet them all together. Even if they catch us by surprise. I don't know that Mycah, Nathros, and Algernon can survive meeting all the hobgoblins together."

Bran eyes Mycah worriedly. He seems especially concerned about the dangers to the party's thief.

"Besides... Do we really want to risk needing to use yet -another- potion when we don't have to? We're not likely to find another healing potion anytime soon, are we? If we scout the hobgoblins together, at least Alanna will be around to cast spells."

"I suggest instead of a small party, all of us together do the scouting, and we send the hirelings and mercenaries in the opposite direction."

Bran waves his hand around so as to make it clear that "all of us together" means the Vigilant Companions/Bost's Rangers.

13. - Top - End - #853

"It seems as if the group consensus is for Ashala's plan, my dear sir. If I understand her correctly, Mycah and I shall scout ahead of the group's movement, perhaps by a quarter mile or so. Within easy hailing distance, but far enough in advance that the noise from the horses, carts and armored knights will not be heard. Do not fear, my friend, Mycah shall be safe with me!

Just before the group sets out again Algernon shall rise into the air again, searching for three things: an approaching enemy, likely hobgoblin sentry posts/ambushes and the approach to the camp that offers the greatest chance of remaining hidden for longest.

14. - Top - End - #854
    Barbarian in the Playground

If Ash's plan is agreed upon, Alanna hands Mycah the potion.
    If Brandon manages to convince the group to all go scouting together, she moves the potion from her pack to a pocket.
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran does not seem to agree with Algernon's assessment.

"What is it with magic-users and their desire to put themselves in maximum danger rather than stay sensibly safe in the back?"

He looks at the others. "Was I not the one who first figured out that Marie was a magic-user and her beau was a burglar? I have a proven record of clever thinking. And I say that sending two of the least armored and most vulnerable of our party to scout is unnecessarily risky. We already know where the hobgoblin camp is, so there is no need to scout."

"It would be better if two or three of the -best- armored (Bran and Nathros and maybe Ashala) went ahead, to draw the hobgoblins into ambush. The rest of the party, including hirelings and mercenaries, can hang behind by around 100 feet."

"Then when the hobgoblins try to ambush us, the rest of the party can ambush them."

Bran seems adamant that Mycah and Algernon not go ahead.

16. - Top - End - #856

Upon hearing Bran's argument the mage turns serious. "Most vulnerable! We are not children or invalids, Brandon! From all I hear Mycah is an accomplished scout, and I can send a dozen or more of the enemy into a deep slumber with a single spell. I appreciate your concern, but the majority of the group has spoken and you are outvoted. Our enemy is out there, not here, so let us all support the group's decision and get to work."

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran looks annoyed. "You don't plan assuming everything will go your way. You plan assuming things will go wrong, and prepare accordingly."

He looks at the others. "No one wants to change their vote?"

He looks back at Algernon and Mycah. "If you want to scout, go ahead. Good luck. Look out for archers and for pit traps. Try not to use the healing potion. It's the only one we got left. It's 3000 gold to buy another one from the Guild."

Then he turns his back on them, preparing his horse for a cavalry charge to the rescue while also showing his dissociation from responsibility for (what he thinks will be) their horrible demise.
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2013-02-26 at 09:18 AM.

18. - Top - End - #858

RangerGuy

As the others offer their thoughts on the proposed plan, Mycah responds in kind.

"You don't have to worry Ash, I don't plan to charge in and try to tackle the whole camp on my own. We brought everyone, all these mercenaries, for just that. We just need all the information we can gather before the group goes in, to help keep everyone safer, like Nathros pointed out. I don't plan to do more than observe and come back here to report what we find."

When Alanna offers the potion, Mycah takes it and stashes it safely in a pouch. "I don't intend to need it, but thank you. I'll see that it comes back to you unused, Alanna."

And finally to Brandon: "I know you are worried that this can all go horribly wrong, Brandon. You're a good friend, and I'm glad you're worried about me. You are smart about these things, but you have to see that having this whole group just blunder into an ambush, on purpose, is NOT a good plan. I grew up in these woods, hunting, scouting, and I trust my skills. I'm asking you to trust them, trust ME, too. This is what I DO, how I contribute to the Companions."

Looking around to the others, he waits to hear how they respond.
    "If your all want to go in together, we will. I know Artanis and Alastor were lucky to have escaped those wolves after they went off alone, but I don't see that this is the same at all. You are all right here, following a ways behind us. If something goes wrong, we aren't out here alone this time."

Spoiler
    Show
    Better give this a bit more discussion time, Roland. I know we need to keep the game moving, but I don't think we have enough agreement on the plan yet.
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2013-02-26 at 12:40 PM.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

19. - Top - End - #859
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Without turning to look at Mycah, Bran asks, "Even if you're as stealthy as you say you are, how stealthy do you expect to be with a magic-user along?"

"That's the thing that bugs me. You say you want to be stealthy, but you bring along someone who isn't good at sneaking."

"And the magic-user can Sleep a dozen hobgoblins, maybe. But they'll wake up eventually. Can you be sure you kill all of them before they wake up?"

"And if you go alone, you have no backup. It only takes one hobgoblin spotting you and you're wormfood."

"As for my original plan, I changed my mind about the whole party going. I'm willing to go alone even, and blunder into the ambush while you hang back maybe 50 feet behind. My armor is pretty good, I'm pretty tough, and my horse is great. You'd be able to ambush the ambushers long before even a large force of hobgoblins killed me."

Bran pauses, then adds in a neutral tone of voice. "But if you're determined to go scouting, I'm outvoted, so go ahead. Good luck."
    Last edited by Frivolous; 2013-02-26 at 12:23 PM.

20. - Top - End - #860

"I cannot support your proposal, Brandon. However, if the rest of the party votes to support your idea I shall act the gentleman and throw my support behind the plan as well. But Mycah is the scout. This is his job. This is what he does"

"And frankly, an unarmored man can be more silent than one in armor, regardless of training. Obviously, if Mycah would prefer to go along I will support that decision. However, I feel that out of all of us I am most ideally suited to such a stealth mission. But again, I shall defer to the will of the group with grace and dignity."

21. - Top - End - #861
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash listens to all the concerns Brandon expresses, some which she also shares, but ultimately she still feels there's enough safety and caution in their plan. She believes it could greatly benefit the outcome of the mission - to eradicate the hobgoblin threat.

"I agree with many of your concerns, Brandon. You may even be right, but this is a risk that - if taken - will allow us to greatly improve our strategy and generally protect our numbers.

"Though, I do appreciate your protective sentiments over our comrades. This is hard for me too. I see it my job to make the enemy have a more convenient time focusing their efforts on me rather than a less defensible ally.
    "This is all part of growing - as a team."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ash and the rest of the group, excluding Mycah and Algernon, can keep a safe distance behind the scouts as stated in post #853. Same previous marching order, excluding Mycah and Algernon until they return.

22. - Top - End - #862

RangerGuy

Mycah

Mycah feels his frustration grow as what should be an obvious choice, in his eyes. Finally, when it seems everyone has offered all they have to say.
    "Fine. We can't waste any more time,or we risk getting caught just standing here. I'm sorry, Bran, but this is the smart thing to do. It's not fair for you to take all the risks either you know." He rests a hand on Brandon's shoulder. "Thank you though."

"I'll take Algie with me and we can range ahead of the rest of you. If he is too loud in the woods, I will go ahead on my own and he can wait while the rest of you catch up," he adds, acknowledging Brandon's concerns about the mage's skill at remaining quiet.

If that is it, he shrugs out of his pack and stows it in a cart, taking up his bow as planned. "If we're ready?"

Spoiler
    Show

Hmm. I'm always reluctant to roll any skill checks until asked - I'd prefer the DM tell me when and what he wants, but here's a few if you decide you want them. Here goes nothing...

Hunting (INT 10): (1d20)[16]
    Hear Noise (45%): (1d100)[15]
    Move Silently (35%): (1d100)[76]
    Hide in Shadows (24%): (1d100)[24]

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

"Okay, so Mycah will move ahead of us and scout the terrain, whilst the rest of us follow after and the cart trundles along. We should be able to avoid falling into an ambush if we move quickly."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

24. - Top - End - #864

Mycah and Algie trek ahead, the trees growing more sparse as they go. Mycah hears the sound of movement off to the west and behind him. It was definitely the sound humanoids on the march, looking back, he caught a glimpse of a half-dozen or so hobgoblins marching west to east between him and the group. It seems as though he and Algie have entered into the hobgoblins' area of patrol, by about eighty yards.
    Forum Rules

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros hefts his pole-axe in anticipation of the coming fight.

26. - Top - End - #866

Algernon nudges Mycah and whispers, "Let me cast a spell of somnulence on them; I can take out the whole group, hopefully, without making a sound and alerting any others to our presence."

27. - Top - End - #867

RangerGuy

At the sight of the patrol, Mycah drops to a crouch, pulling Algie down with him. He considers the mage's plan, eyes never leaving the patrol.
    "Will the spell affect them from here? We can't risk moving to get closer," he whispers back. "And can you cast it quietly enough that they won't hear you? If you don't get the entire group, you could bring the rest down on us. We might better let them pass by and go back to tell the others. We're supposed to be gathering information, not attacking alone."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

28. - Top - End - #868

"The range is not an issue, and I am fairly certain I can ensorcell the whole group with but a single spell. My concern is if they spot the main body of our group they may elect to send a runner or otherwise alert their encampment. If they spy the two of us, however, they are less likely to do so, as we might seem a lesser threat."

29. - Top - End - #869

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by thirdkingdom View Post

"The range is not an issue, and I am fairly certain I can ensorcell the whole group with but a single spell. My concern is if they spot the main body of our group they may elect to send a runner or otherwise alert their encampment. If they spy the two of us, however, they are less likely to do so, as we might seem a lesser threat."
    Mycah nods. "That's what we need to protect against. I think we need to let them go, but if they DO see the others, then we take out that runner before he gets away. Let's stay put until they're gone, then get back to tell the group. Unless those brutes see us or them."
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2013-02-28 at 10:53 AM.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

30. - Top - End - #870

Quote Originally Posted by Koren n'Rhys View Post
    Mycah nods. "That's what we need to protect against. I think we need to let them go, but if they DO see the others, then we take out that runner before he gets away. Let's stay put until they're gone, then get back to tell the group. Unless those brutes see us or them."

"Agreed."

Spoiler
    Show
    If one or more hobgoblins attempts to flee Algie will Sleep as many as possible. He will do likewise if the hobgoblins appear to be setting an ambush for the main body.
    Last edited by thirdkingdom; 2013-02-28 at 11:02 AM.