New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839 LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #871
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

Mycah just nods again, holding a finger to his lips. Once the patrol has moved a safe distance beyond, and there is no sign of stragglers or a rear guard, he'll head back to meet the main party and report.

Spoiler
    Show
    With that, I'm gone the rest of the day. Carry on folks.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

2. - Top - End - #872
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The hobgoblins thrash their way through the woods between the scouts and main group and off to the east. Whether they will turnabout and head back west or turn south and return toward the camp, or do something unpatrol-like altogether is unknown. They are slow enough to be easily followed. Mycah counts seven of them, none obviously larger or leading and all armed with blades and spears.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #873

Algernon "Algie" Blackthorn, Magic-user

"I propose we follow and ambush the patrol with our full strength. We must be as the wolf, separating out the small and weak, to whittle our enemy down to a manageable size! Besides, I dislike the idea of turning our backs on such a large patrol; what if they return to their lair whilst we are assaulting it, thusly catching us between the proverbial rock and a hard place! But if the decision be to avoid them I will abide by that judgement. "

4. - Top - End - #874
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran listens to the report with a blank face. He says nothing yet.

5. - Top - End - #875

RangerGuy

Mycah

"This is exactly the sort of information we hoped to gain by scouting ahead of the group, and I think Algie's plan is a good one, too. We should take advantage of the smaller numbers and peck away at them. We can attack this group in force, with a hail of missile fire and a charge by the mounted warriors, with Algie's magic to ensure none get away to warn the camp. then we scout ahead again and repeat the process."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"Agreed. Let's move before they get too far away or too close to the main encampment."

Ash will make sure the horses are tied off to some trees so they don't go running away, assuring anyone with concerns, "We'll be right back for them."

The group can fan out a little to make the attack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nathros, Brandon, and Ash will be on the front lines, but they will be to the side when the volley is to occur - so they aren't in the way. These three can still open with ranged attacks if they want.

Next, a row of ranged attackers (anyone that has ranged and isn't already in the front row). Theoretically, that's everyone else. Even Alanna has a sling.
    These people should be bracing against nearby trees for partial cover if possible. If Ash needs to explain this concept, she will (briefly) as everyone starts walking/jogging.

Everyone should have a ranged attack or magic for this - I think.

7. - Top - End - #877

"A fine plan, Lady Ashala! I shall do as you request." Algernon readies his sling and brings the arcane incantations needed for his enchantment to the fore of his prodigious mind before following the others.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Ash's plan is adopted.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Barbarian in the Playground

As soon as Ash finishes explaining her plan, Alanna cuts in, obviously having been waiting to contribute this information for a while.
    "I can call a blessing on everyone from the immortals now. It only lasts a short period of time, but I'm sure it will come in handy as we battle the hobgoblins. I'll bless everyone right before we go out to attack the hobgoblins."
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #879

Algernon coughs delicately into one hand. "Begging your pardon, milady Alanna, but might I suggest holding off on the casting of such a potent spell? The brutes ahead number only seven, and I believe we shall fall upon them like the hawk upon a mouse, ending their lives with alacrity. If the main encampment is able to field a patrol of seven, I fear we might find four or five times that number when we assault the main camp. I have no desire to tell anyone what to do, but can only counsel saving that spell for a later assault against a numerically superior force."

After speaking, Algernon intently examines his perfectly manicured fingernails, whistling tunelessly.

10. - Top - End - #880

While Algernon speaks, Alanna thoughtfully considers his points before answering.
    "While it's true that we'll have the advantage of surprise when dealing with the smaller group, there are still seven of them and six of us. Our plan is to fight them, not knock them out, so we will make noise. It's really unlikely that we'll be able to take care of all seven without anyone in the larger group finding out. They'll come running, and then I wouldn't be able to bless you, because I might accidentally get some of our opponents. I don't know how your group spells work, Al, but the temple elders told me that I can't target my friends specifically — it affects everyone in an area. I'm not Ash, but I'd rather have a blessing that might last until we find our main enemies than a blessing that also applies to the guys trying to kill us. Ash, I'll follow your directions, but I think it would be a better idea to get divine favor too soon than too late."
    When she's done speaking, she pulls her holy symbol out from under the farming clothes and polishes it with her shirt.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros grins.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran still says nothing, just listens and observes. His face remains blank.

13. - Top - End - #883
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash quickly ponders Alanna's concern, then replies, "We shouldn't meet too much resistance from the scouts. If we're quick, we have surprise and firepower. If they try to run with out notifying the encampment first, Algernon can catch them with a spell. If they holler, we'll probably be finished up with them before any allies can come to aid them. Then we can group up and use the spell then."

She frowns then adds, "I'm glad you remembered to mention your blessing, though. I'd forgotten to apply it to any point of our attack plan originally.

"How long does your blessing last, Alanna?"

Spoiler
    Show
    If all comply, the group can continue with their plan as previously stated.

14. - Top - End - #884

"As I have already stated, Lady Ashala, I support your plan."

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming it is the one laid out in post 876.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

"Let us trust to speed then!" Nathros hefts his axe, eager for the fight.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

16. - Top - End - #886

"It lasts about an hour, Ash."
    Alanna inclines her head slightly toward Ash.
    "Whether it's my mace, my sling, or my spells, as long as I'm part of your group, I trust you to direct all I can give to help everyone."
    Alanna's slightly surprised at how Lawful the words coming out of her mouth sound. What happened to the eighteen-year-old who had left home to join the clergy rather than continue in the family business? Had she really thought that donning clerical robes would release her from having to follow rules and orders? Perhaps this was why her parents had let her go so freely. They probably knew that this would finally teach her discipline.
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2013-03-03 at 09:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash nods respectfully to Alanna in thanks to her reply, "Your part in our group is a reliable and generous one. We all appreciate your aid and devotion, Alanna."

She partly turns to the rest of the group, "Now - let us not delay any longer as our approach may quickly lose its relevancy." With that, she shortly raises her sword in the air and begins to move and show everyone that it's time to track down that patrol... hopefully surprising them still.

Wish I remembered about that spell before we made the plan.

Spoiler
    Show
    Left-Left-Left.right.Left! <:D

18. - Top - End - #888

The group tracks down the hobgoblin patrol, which had turned south toward the encampment. The trees grow less dense and the ground seems a bit rockier here, but it's still lightly wooded hills. Fanning out for the attack, the group and hobgoblins notice each other at almost the same time. The party crests a small hill to see the hobgoblins climbing the next hill over, about forty yards away, slightly longer if one were to run down one hill and up the other.

Spoiler
    Show
    PCs win initiative!
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #889

Algernon will wait to act until he can determine the enemies' motives. If they charge he will fire a sling bullet; if even one turns to flee he will cast Sleep so as to catch as many as possible.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sling:(1d20+1)[2](1d6)[4]Don't forget the stun effect on a hit.
    Sleep:(2d8)[14]

20. - Top - End - #890

As the party marches, Alanna mumbles prayer after prayer — for the group, for herself, for the group members. Once she sees the hobgoblins, she hurls a bullet at the one closest to her.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Magic Sling Attack - (1d20+1)[11]
    Magic Sling Damage - (1d4+1)[2]
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #891
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran runs down the hill the party is on and up the hill the hobgoblins are on as fast as he can in his cumbersome plate mail, his sword gleaming dully in the sunlight.

Spoiler
    Show

Level 4 Fighter
    Hit Points: 16/16
    AC: -1

Bran is running, but he is still pretty slow. He may not be able to attack this round.

If he can attack this round, the rolls below apply. If he cannot attack this round, please ignore them; I will reroll next round.

I have already included the bonuses to attack and damage from Alanna's Bless.

Attack: (1d20+2)[7]
    Thac0: 17
    Damage: (1d8+2)[5]

22. - Top - End - #892
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros follows after Bran, running full tilt towards the enemy.

Spoiler
    Show

Nathros, Level Three Dwarf: M 90(30); AC 3(2); HP 13(13); THAC0 19.

Attack Roll: (1d20+4)[20]
    Damage Roll: (1d10+4)[11]

23. - Top - End - #893

RangerGuy

"Don't let any get away, Algie! This is risky enough as it is, since they've gotten so much closer to their camp."
    Mycah lets fly with his first arrow and quickly pulls another out of his quiver, ready to follow the first.

Spoiler
    Show

Mycah, Thief, Lvl 4
    AC: 6 HP: 5/5
    Attack (Missile): (1d20+21)[28] Thaco 18
    Damage: [roll]1d6=1[/roll]

Includes the +1 to attack and damage from the the Bless.

Ha - oops. That should be +2 not +21, so only a 9 to hit...
    Last edited by Koren n'Rhys; 2013-03-05 at 09:49 AM.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash orders the volley from the archers and crossbowmen with orders to fire if they find a clear shot in the future. Then she drops her pack and charges to meet the hobgoblins with her allies rather than attempting a ranged attack and falling behind.

Spoiler
    Show
    For her attack - whichever round she reaches them...
    HP: 16/16
    AC: -2
    Sword Thac0: 17
    Attack: (1d20)[11]
    Damage: (1d8)[6]

I never included a blessing modifier cause I didn't think we'd agreed on blessing the group yet.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-03-05 at 11:50 AM.

25. - Top - End - #895

Ash, Brandon, and Nathros charge down the hill and clash with the hobgoblin's rearguard turned front line line near the bottom. Nathros cuts down the nearest hobgoblin. Mycah and Alanna's missiles miss.

The party's seven archers fire over the meleer's heads at the hobgoblins on the adjoining hilltop. Two find the mark but neither hobgoblin falls.

Two hobgoblins seem to be cresting the hill and heading away from the combat, so Algie casts his spell, dropping the four hobgoblins at the hilltop into a slumber.

The two remaining hobgoblins flee up the hill, kicking a fallen ally as they rush past. The two kicked hobgoblins awaken and sit up in confusion as the fleeing hobgoblins depart down the far side of the hill.

Spoiler
    Show
    2 Hobgoblins flee on their turn.

Foes win initiative.

2 hobgoblins continue to flee and 2 others awaken and begin to get up from prone.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-03-06 at 12:10 AM.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #896

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think Alanna actually cast Bless… I didn't factor it into my rolls. I'll post one set of actions for if she hasn't Blessed the party yet and one for if she has.

"Well, that was fast," grumbles Alanna. She looks at the four retreating hobgoblins and motions for everyone, hirelings included, to gather together.
    "Come on, guys, we don't have much time. Stand real close… I don't want to take any chances. Maybe we can chase after the ones that got away and still manage to surprise their friends."
    She casts the spell, speaking and gesturing as quickly as she feels she can without losing accuracy.

-----

"Darn it!" cries Alanna when her first bullent misses. "Even with a blessing, I miss… maybe it didn't work on me. Or maybe I need to get all my bad shots out first. Sort of like gambling on how a die or coin will land…"
    As she rambles to herself, she tries again with the sling. Come on, let's make this one for two…
    Spoiler
    Show
    And here I was thinking I wouldn't get the opportunity to make a statistics joke before the end of the school year! Can't wait to tell the teacher I got to make fun of a fallacy…
    Magic Sling Plus Divine Blessing Attack - (1d20+2)[16]
    Magic Sling Plus Divine Blessing Damage - (1d4+2)[5]
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros pursues with intent to slay!

Spoiler
    Show

Nathros, Level Three Dwarf: M 90(30); AC 3(2); HP 13(13); THAC0 19.

Attack Roll: (1d20+4)[18]
    Damage Roll: (1d10+4)[14]

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Wishing for the 101st time that he had his mother's long legs instead of his father's short ones, Bran ignores the hobgoblins that are asleep and the ones that just awakened.

Instead, he runs uphill after the fleeing hobgoblins, striking as soon as he can with his sword.

Spoiler
    Show

Level 4 Fighter
    Hit Points: 16/16
    AC: -1

Attack: (1d20+1)[19]
    Thac0: 17
    Damage: (1d8+1)[3]

29. - Top - End - #899

RangerGuy

"Nice job, Algie!," shouts Mycah as he sees the four hobgoblins fall to the spell. His surge of joy is short-lived however, as he sees two quickly re-awakened by the fleeing pair. Biting off a curse, he takes another shot at the backs of the fleeing humanoids.

Spoiler
    Show

Mycah, Thief, Lvl 4
    AC: 6 HP: 5/5
    Attack (Missile): (1d20+2)[19] Thaco 18
    Damage: (1d6+1)[6]

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash persues the fleeing hobgoblins with Brandon and Nathros - hoping to end them before getting too near the entire encampment. She's careful not to bump either of the sleeping hobgoblins as she runs past and slashes at the next closest foe - if she can catch them.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will include the bless bonus this time since it was retconned in - hope the group didn't loose much time over it, but it'll be great to have it active.

Did Ash get an attack off the first round? If so, here's another attack for this round:

HP: 16/16
    AC: -2
    Sword Thac0: 17
    Attack: (1d20+1)[16]
    Damage: (1d8+1)[2]