New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 39 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536373839 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1165

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

As comfortable up in the trees as he is on the ground, Mycah will scout about for a suitable observation point that gives him a good view of the hobgoblin campsite as well as across the ravine and the surrounding area. Preferably with a nice amount of cover while he's up there too.

I think our basic M.O. will be to stay quiet and alert, continue our rotating watches and hope it isn't too long before someone comes looking for our deceased friends.

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

With looking over the letters and maps again, Ash comes to a decision that afternoon. A couple hours before supper, she'll head to the temple to check on the arrangements for Algernon's memorial.

While there, she'll ask if there's anyone who knows multiple languages or old religious text. If so, she'll show them the unusual letters on the document from the fangs' ship.

If they don't know anything, she'll try Merlinda's and offers 25g just for her to look at it (if need be).
    If anyone has been bothered about the strange letters before, she'll apologize and not bother them further.

She'll also write a short letter to Marie to ask if Sharu Garul would be willing to look at the unusual writings since she believes it might be connected with the spider immortals.

Secretly she worries for her comrades out at the ex-hobgoblin camp, even wishing she was there should anything come to happen. Better I die among them than bury them alone.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-04-06 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Fixed name typo.

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Barbarian in the Playground

In preparation for Algernon's service, Alanna plans out what she wants to say.
    "When Algie first joined our little band, I had my doubts about him. We all did, if I remember it right. Algie probably noticed this. Did he care? No. He was never rude or mean to us, and his loyalty will never be questioned. He used the magic he had to great effect, and I'm sure the hobgoblins only killed him because they were scared of what Algie could do to them. I'll miss his friendship, and I hope he's rewarded as richly as a king in the afterlife. May all the Immortals bless his soul and his journey into the great beyond."
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The memorial is handled simply and respectfully.

---
    The temple elders do not recognize the strange writing, but Merlinda accepts the offered payment and gives it a scan. She retreats to within her tower with the note, leaving Ash to wait in her ground floor receiving room. She returns after several minutes. "It is an ancient arcane script used by Traladaran tribal magicians. It describes, by reference to the local geography, a place west of Threshold. A place of walking dead, false visions, and many-legged things. The evil could not be defeated, so the elders called upon the earth to swallow it. The evil has never returned."

"The note warns against disturbing the tomb of evil." She points at the final line of text. "Only the spirit of the earth protects us."

---
    The day passes in Threshold with little over a week until the caravan arrives. Out in the wilderness, the day and second night also passes without any obvious activity at the abandoned camp. Mycah observes more animals in the woods than before.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

5. - Top - End - #1055
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash thanks Merlinda respectfully for her help.
    She also warns her that there may be some kind of conniving or violent incident during the presence of the Gnomish Caravan where her magic may be useful in protecting Threshold, should she have any investment in such a thing. Of course, Ash assures her that her companions are doing their best to prevent this occurrence.

Later, around supper, Ash will share the knowledge she's gained from Merlinda with Alanna - pondering whether or not to pursue this or to let the sleeping dogs lie.

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran looks a little grumpy after an exciting but fruitless several hours of watching.

"Wait or go home?"

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground

"Three nights at least," Nathros reaffirms.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

8. - Top - End - #1058

RangerGuy

Mycah grins at poor Bran's boredom - that farmboy has no idea the countless hours that Mycah has spent alone out here.
    "If nothing else, we've returned this area to it's natural order. Already the animals are returning and getting on with their lives. Having that camp here scattered them to the four winds."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

9. - Top - End - #1059
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

When she gets a chance (probably the next morning), Ash will head over to visit the captain of the guards. Though he may perhaps recognize her as Ashala Bost, she'll present herself as one of the (Vigilant) Companions, A.K.A. Bost's Rangers.

She'll ask the captain if he's aware of any precautions made to thwart potential incidents during the presence of the Gnomish Caravan. If he's well informed of the documents, she'll feel more free to express her concerns.

"The hobgoblins have been dispatched, though at the life-cost of the mage who recently joined.
    "That means we've eliminated the threat of the Fangs, the thouls - at least the ones that existed before, and the displacer beast along with the hobgoblins.
    "That leaves Ederick who got away, Lord Venom - who seems to be pulling all the strings - probably from Specularum or something, Bargle's Agent or the ' Wizards of ill repute ' who may just be the magic-wielding hobgoblins we had fought, and some business with the spider immortals of which I've some information regarding the strange language.
    "It is an ancient arcane script used by Traladaran tribal mages. Apparently the spider on the map was referencing, oh how did it go? - a place of walking dead, false visions, and many-legged things. The elders called upon the earth to swallow the evil that couldn't be defeated before and it has never returned since then. There was a warning not to disturb the tomb because of its evil and only the earth spirit can protect us.
    "I was thinking it might be best to leave that one alone, with so little time left before the caravan arrives too. If someone does still intend to disturb the tomb, at least we'll know a little about what's going on if our group has to do something to stop it. Unfortunately we're short on both mages and scholars now."

Ash remains to hear what he has to say in response.

10. - Top - End - #1060

Late on the third day, the sound of hoofbeats can be heard echoing through the wooded hills. Off to the west, Mycah judges, and several sets of hooves. No sign of them yet, though, they must be behind a hill.

---
    The captain of the town guards can be tracked down, with some effort, he seems to be rushing from post to post, observing the many new recruits. He will talk with Ash as they walk, sharing with her that he has seen the documents and, in general, the preparations have included more than doubling the size of the guard. "We have many more eyes out there and swords in the field, but we've had to break up existing units to supervise the greenhorns. The gates, the docks, the market square are watched by more and more obvious guards."

His brow furrows as Ash rattles off the various players and threats. He shakes his head. "My concern is what happens within these walls. The caravan will be here in week or so and stay for a couple, maybe a few, weeks more. Perhaps you could stay here for that time, trouble or not, before pursuing Ederick or this spider tomb? Though I'd not want the necromancer to unleash some ancient evil upon us all, but perhaps it's just a folk legend?

Whatever you decide, let me know so that I can account for your presence in our planning.

Oh, and so many people are arriving,"
    he points to the masses at the docks, "some of them must be scholars, maybe even mages."
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Titan in the Playground

"Here we go," says Nathros. "Remember, we are only here to watch and gather information."
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

12. - Top - End - #1062
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"I agree. I'd rather not be caught in the wilderness at a time we are most needed in Threshold. Though I had no idea your resources have been stretched so thin. You can count me in.
    "I'll let the rest decide for themselves, though I think them likely to wish to aid us. In our group besides myself, we have a healer, a scout, two warriors, and three hired men.
    "We could also afford to hire some mercenaries for those days if you think it would help."

She'll hear his response.

Then she adds, " - and thank you for your advice. I'll have to pay a trip down to the docks."

---

Ash will head to the docks and see if there are any new recruits I can find for the Companions' more intellectual tasks scholar work and magery.
    She'll have a sign made up and find a barrel, bench or chair somewhere to sit. Those interested in the work she could provide will be told to meet her for interviews tomorrow morning at The Nut. She'll give herself ten minutes between each interview as she tells them when to arrive.

---

The third day, Ash heads down to The Nut for breakfast, rents a room for the interviews, and explains to the owner or highest in charge of what she intends to do. She'll tip him a silver.

13. - Top - End - #1063

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Roland St. Jude View Post
    Late on the third day, the sound of hoofbeats can be heard echoing through the wooded hills. Off to the west, Mycah judges, and several sets of hooves. No sign of them yet, though, they must be behind a hill.
    Mycah perks up immediately at the approaching sound and whistles to alert his companions waiting on the forest floor below. He'd chosen his perch for it's cover and range of view, so he felt comfortable enough that he'd remain unseen. Nonetheless, he wraps his neutral-colored cloak more closely around himself to conceal the shape of his body and tucks himself closer to the trunk of the tree.

He hears Nathros' reminder, but makes no further sound of acknowledgement.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

14. - Top - End - #1064
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran wakes up, looks up at Mycah, then gets up and starts to put on is armor.

15. - Top - End - #1065

Mycah spies several mounted men over a hundred yards away, rounding a hill in the distance. As they come fully around to the near side of that hill, it becomes apparent that these are not men on horses but centaurs, maybe ten of them. They haven't spotted him yet, but they seem to be headed his way. In perhaps another minute or so, they will pass beneath Mycah's perch and near his companions below.

---
    Ash receives three applicants. A short, stout male named Dargus, who she might have mistaken for a dwarf at first, though the similarity was fleeting. A beardless human, he is dressed in a simple traveler's robe. He is a recent arrival from the northern fishing village come for the Gnomish Caravan. The tales of the party's brave deeds in defense of the city intrigued him and he'd like to join. His skills are minor, he admits, being family charms he has learned. He can conjure light and read magic, which might be useful, he opines. His grandmother also taught him an ward against evil, though he admits he has never tried it and believes it may only extend to him personally.

The second, a young Thytian man named Mellius, has also recently arrived in Threshold, here to seek his fortune. He seems charming and reminds Ash more than a little of Alastor. He boasts that he can cast Magic Missile and as well as conjure a floating disk to ease the parties burdens. He offers that he is also well-versed in various magical theory and beings.

The third, Neela, has arrived from Darokin ahead of the caravan. She came to trade with the caravan, so she is quite interested in making the city safe for the caravan and, after, she would like to pursue gainful employment in the area. She says she is a wizard trained in her homeland, but she demurs discussing her actual abilities.

Each demands a full share of any payment or treasure.
    Forum Rules

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

To Dargus, "For now, it sounds like your abilities could use some elaboration before we would bring you about with us, but if we come across magical writings, I'm sure we could pay you for your service of reading them to us. If you could manage to extend your protection spell to the lot of us, I'm sure we could make constant use of you and you'd be rewarded an equal sum of loot."
    ---
    To Mellius, "Magic Missile is a useful and effective means of attack should a moment call for a swift finish in a dire moment. We've use of some horses now, but I can imagine occasions where a magic disk's leverage might be useful. - I'll bet your knowledge could come in handy at some point." She seems to be thinking out loud a little.
    ---
    She folds her hands on a table in front of her and looks Neela in the eyes to say, "I am looking for specific spells which I've seen be most effective in the past. I may consider you for hire if you'll share with me what you can do. I've met several wizards now and I know the spells learned will vary from one to the next." She seems openminded yet determined to hear of Neela's abilities if she is going to consider hiring her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Once I see what Neela and Dargus have to say in response, I'll decide who to hire. I'm leaning toward Mellius for now.

17. - Top - End - #1067

Dargus frowns, "I would not want to overstate my power and fail you in a big moment. Granny's charm is probably limited to me. But I am decent with a dagger and cunning. I know how to stay out of danger and pick my moments. I'll learn more soon, I'm sure."

---
    Mellius nods in agreement with Ash's line of thought. "My missiles are unerring, and I have some skill with throwing daggers, as well. I know to keep out of harm's way, and a great memory for magic."

---
    Neela responds that she has had ample training in the arcane basics, reading magic, firing arrows of pure magic, sending attackers into a slumber. "I have also learned several spells useful to my line of work as part of a trade caravan from Darokin to here. I can use magic to allow me to read any language, detect evil, and sometimes discern the properties of magical items. Of course, I cannot do these all at once, but they are familiar to me and noted in my journal. I am hearty, well-traveled, and accustomed to danger."
    Forum Rules

18. - Top - End - #1068
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros gives Bran a baffled look, "I do not think centaurs would be in league with hobgoblins. Mayhaps it would be better if we revealed ourselves than be discovered lurking in the woods."

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran says, "I'll reveal myself. You two stay hidden and do whatever you think is best if they decide to be nasty."

With his shield up but his sword sheathed, Bran starts to walk in a calm and leisurely fashion towards the centaurs.

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash is grateful for each of those interviewed. She shakes their hand and informs them each that they'll be contacted within the next couple days if they are to be welcomed into The Vigilant Companions, A.K.A. Bost's Rangers.

As it is the third day, Ash considers riding out to meet her friends in the afternoon.

Spoiler
    Show
    If she has to choose just one, she'll likely pick Neela for her abilities. She'd prefer to run it by the group first after they come back from their spy-ish mission.
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2013-04-11 at 09:37 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1071

RangerGuy

Mycah had no particular fear of the centaurs, but he hadn't intended to reveal himself just yet. Indeed, he fully expected the creatures to notice him or the others if they passed close enough. But all that was moot now, as he sees Bran step out to meet the approaching herd.

He instead chooses to maintain his perch, stepping back from the tree trunk into full view. He still holds his bow, an arrow loosely nocked, but it is not drawn, nor pointed at the centaurs. he merely waits to see how they react to Bran.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

22. - Top - End - #1072

The centaurs approach in an interesting weaving pattern, crossing each others paths they seem to be ambling. "Greetings lone knight!" says the apparent leader, "I am Cyllarus the Elder. What brings you to our woods?"

His fellows, holding crossbows or lances, stand spread out behind him.

---
    The applicants depart, each hopeful to join the group.
    Forum Rules

23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran solemnly holds up his free, weaponless hand palm outward.

"Hey. Good day to you, Cyrallus the Elder and your kin."

"I'm Brandon Bor, a human of Threshold, son of Boris and Natalya. These are your woods. They are very nice woods."

"I am just visiting, hunting hobgoblins and their allies. Is that all right with you?"

24. - Top - End - #1074
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash invites Alanna and the hirelings to ride out to meet the rest of the group in the afternoon. Her reasoning is that she cannot do much regarding the plot against Threshold at this time and perhaps the group cannot return without healing - or heavens forbid they be dead and need to be buried.

She'll pay the horse-master for the rental of the horses again and another day's rental of the two horses kept with Nathros and Mycah. She'll also assure him they'll be returned by tomorrow if all has gone well. If not, the thousand gold is still in holding.

25. - Top - End - #1075

As they ride out back to the battlesite, Alanna tells Ash she's prepared a new spell this morning.
    "I figure that since they can paralyze us, it would be a good idea to be able to strike back. This spell can be used on up to four people at once, but if I choose just one target, it's more powerful."
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1076

Ash and the others find some delay at the South Gate as the dense stream of travelers seek admittance to the city. Once outside the town walls, the traveling becomes easier and the ground is covered much more quickly. By Ash's guess, they are halfway to the hobgoblin camp when the party rounds a hillside to find themselves face to face with a pair of enormous humanoids - giants.

---
    "Hunting those dumb brutes is excellent sport, but if it's all the same, we'd rather you leave now. You might find the city to the north hospitable." The centaur's tone is still friendly but also somewhat stern.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ash's group is essentially in melee range already. Roll for initiative, even if you elect to parley.

Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2013-04-13 at 12:11 AM.
    Forum Rules

27. - Top - End - #1077

Alanna is in the middle of chatting with Ash when the group rounds the hillside to see the giants.
    "Eep… Ash, you think we can talk to them before we decide if we can take them? My new spell doesn't work on giants. They're too big."
    Her voice is considerably higher than normal.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20)[4]
    It's 1d20, right? Does my WIS modifier apply?
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1078
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash pulls back on the reigns so suddenly that her horse may have reared, but she is a skilled rider. With a turn of her gauntlet up in the air, she directs the rest of party to ride the other way and try to avoid and outrun the giants. "We have no quarrel with them and I'd rather not stick around to make one."

If any of her group get entangled with the giants in combat, she'll be forced to turn around and make an effort to distract the giants by physically intervening. If her group makes it away and the giants cannot (or do not) pursue, she'll keep riding out to the hobgoblin camp with her team rather than make quarrel with the giants.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know what to roll for initiative either. Here's a d20 roll without modifier.
    (1d20)[9]

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran purports to look a little surprised and confused.

"Dumb brutes? I've fought a few, and they used magic. Powerful magic."

"In fact, dozens of hobgoblins were here in a big camp near here up until a few days ago. None of them mentioned you or your folk, so I'm a bit surprised to find you here, actually."

Bran concentrates and he tries to discern if the centaur shows signs of hiding something, or of deception. Their claim of territory certainly doesn't seem congruent with the size of the hobgoblin camp.

Spoiler
    Show

Level 4 Fighter
    Hit Points: 16/16
    AC: -1

Ability check: (1d20)[1]

30. - Top - End - #1080

The centaur leader mirrors Brandon's confusion.

"You held parley with powerful magic hobgoblins? And they have - had - a large camp nearby?

It sounds as if they are gone, so perhaps you should be gone, too, strange human."

The centaurs tense visibly behind their leader, weapons in hand unraised, but held a little more tightly. He seems to Brandon wholly genuine and honest in his claim of territory, belief about hobgoblins, and instruction to leave.

---
    Ash leads the others away from the pair of giants, their horses easily outpacing the lumbering giants, who seem to be following, but slowly. Soon, they disappear behind the hills behind the group.
    Forum Rules