New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

ASH

Hearing Mycah's words, she listens to his request. Parley is most preferred to any sort of blood shed, after all. She frowns behind her helm and waits on standby.
    She'll also raise three of her fingers off her sword to calm her companions into waiting. "He asks that we stand down. I think they're going to parley over something."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis scowled.

"I don't care to deal with thieves under normal circumstance but our brave scout is in there."
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

3. - Top - End - #123
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

The barkeep puzzles it out, his face shifting from looks ranging from confusion to shrewd consideration to bemusement.

"Bost's Rangers! You're the 'heroes' that took out the Fang team west of town and again tonight. Yer trying to bluff yer way into their ranks with that thing." He points at the Fang amulet with a finger rather than his blade.

"You stumbled into the wrong camp, spy, but it may serve us both well that ya did. If I could tell you where to find the snakes' nest, home of the Viper, what's it worth to you?"
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran still stands near the door, his sword and shield clenched in his fists, ready to go in and do violence if he hears any sign of Mycah being assaulted.

He whispers, "You know, this place probably has back doors. We should have had other people covering the other exits."

"But that would have meant splitting up the party, which I hate."

"If there is a next time, maybe we can hire people for such duty."

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, could be worse for him, eh?" Talsarios shrugs at Artanis's worries. "We're right here, and those doors and windows won't hold long - and I'm ready to unleash arcane destruction on the first thug who makes a hostile move on him."

At Brandon's comment about watching the back doors, Alastor looks away and sighs, as if remembering something sad.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis quirked an eyebrow at 'arcane destruction'.

"Did you learn how to summon a Fireball?"

After hearing Talsarios' answer, he became curious as to the nature of his strange behavior in such a terse moment and inquired about it.

"What ails thee?"
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

So long as everyone seems to be getting along, Ash waits quietly outside with everyone for further instruction from Mycah.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros stays his hand, but remains alert and ready to rush to the aid of Mycah.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

At Artanis's question, Talsarios shakes his head and whispers, "Nothing. Shush - let's listen in."
    He peeks in at the murky window, wand ready to magic missile any thugs attacking Mycah - if he can get an unbroken line of effect.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Still puzzled, Artanis allowed the question to drop and prepped himself for a second attempt at the window if things turned sour again.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah tries not to show his relief at at least this small measure of success. In his eyes, talk was preferable to bloodshed - especially his own.

"Well, I'm sure we can come to an equitable arrangement. One that will, uh, reward us both. I can't make any promises for my group though. If you let them in, some of them anyway, we can all sit and talk this out like professionals, can't we?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Going to be a bit sketchy here in central NY for a couple days, but I'll try to stay involved as long as I have power and internet. Hope you all are someplace safe...

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

12. - Top - End - #132

"Yeah, let 'em in. I've been hoping to meet these Rangers of yours." He waves his hand at his men instructively, and they slide the table away from the door and open it. "Come on in and let's have a talk.

No funny business, though. My guys are everywhere." The barkeep gestures errantly with his sword to suggest they're everywhere. Mycah does notice that pretty much all the patrons that were here when arrived have backed into dark corners of the room, the rafters overhead, and who knows where else. Aside from himself, the barkeep, and a few dagger-wielding men, the place seemed empty as his friends were invited in.

I understand you're looking to split some snake skulls?"
    He says by way of invitation to any of Mycah's allies who enter.
    Forum Rules

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis cautiously entered, unwilling to get ambushed... again. At the barkeep's greeting he took on the role of temporary spokesman, having a few thoughts that he wished to say before Ash could speak.

"Your evaluation is... accurate. They have won no love from us. They have constantly... aggravated and threatened us. I expect that they make it difficult for you to ply your... 'trade' effectively. I expect that we could come to an arrangement that would benefit us both. Although, I am curious as to why you wished to see us. Care to explain?"
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

"Split snake skulls, indeed! Yes, splendid!" Talsarios beams amicably once he is let into the bar, looking about at the Guildmembers and taking in the surroundings (as much from curiosity as with an eye for the exits).
    He maintains a breezy friendly tone as he continues: "You see, when we interrogated one of their members, he indicated - reluctantly, I must say: to give the snake his due, he really didn't like to tell us anything, but no-one denies me my answers... not for long, anyway" - the scholar winks at this point - "he indicated that this might be where we would find his gangmembers. Hence our appearance here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Talsarios knows that he's not conventionally intimidating, so is hoping to hint that he's far nastier than he appears - by misleading the thieves into thinking that he tortured the Fang.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash enters quickly but cautiously. She'd check to see that Mycah was alright first. Then she'd lower her weapons as she realized he must have had some success in negotiating. If a clear parley is taking place, which it seems to be, she'll stow her weapons.

After the other two of her companions spoke, Ash speaks mainly to the bartender, "You're a group that's not the Fangs then, I take it. My apologies. I'd assumed the worst. Thank you for your open-mindedly cooperation so that we may converse."

She scans the establishment, "You guys the Guild then maybe? Heard of your organization in my travels."
    "What did you have in mind to speak about?"
    Last edited by Nevaera; 2012-10-29 at 07:58 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran walks in and yawns, allowing everyone present to see that he really did just wake up an hour ago.

He glances around, wondering if the Guild members will recognize Lady Ashala.

He does not introduce himself. Just says, "Hey, all. Nice to meet you. Thanks for not beating up on our friend."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna enters somewhat warily, not quite sure of what's going on.
    Why aren't we fighting? Not that I'm complaining or anything.
    She puts her mace, which she had been holding in case she needed to use it right away, in a more "relaxed" position at her side.
    "'Snake skulls?' What does that even… oh! Never mind, I get it now."
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

RangerGuy

Mycah relaxes visibly as the door is unblocked and his friends allowed inside. He was quite uncomfortable in the position of spy and things had seemed quite hairy there for a while.
    I hope Ash doesn't approach this wrong and stir trouble back up. She can be awfully honorable sometimes, he thought to himself as she came in. Still, she's no dummy and won't want to get us all killed.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

19. - Top - End - #139

The barkeep's eyes shift from person to person as they enter. He nods slightly as if taking count. He responds first to Artanis and then to Ash.

"You're here because your spy tells me you're looking for the Fangs and that such information is valuable to you, but he's not the one to talk to." He shifts his gaze to Ash.

"I'm guessing you are. This is a Guild-friendly hall, as you say."

He glances briefly at Talsarios: "The snakes keep their fellows in such ignorance, your prisoner thought this was the snake pit? Delightful." He shakes his head and several of his fellows chuckle.

"I can tell you where to find the the Viper, if that's what you're after. What is it worth to you?"
    Forum Rules

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran speaks reprovingly to the barkeep.

"What's it worth? How about saving the lives of your fellow townsmen?"

"The Fangs are wicked. They ally with necromancers, evil spellcasters who bring the dead back as zombies. I seen it. We've all fought them."

"So have some patriotism, man. If you aren't volunteering to take on these scum with us, at least tell us what you know about them."

"You don't want these guys looting graveyards and bringing the skeletons of your kin to their evil bosses so they can be made to attack your wives and children, do you?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros baulks at dealing with likely chaotic types, but keeps his peace.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash frowns in thought as Bran answers instinctively.

"What my fellow companion says is true, though your information would be valuable should it come to be correct.
    "What is it you value? Money?
    "Please enlighten us as to what you desire and we'll consider your offer over night. Once a decision has been made, I will return tomorrow - with some of my comrades - to write a contract or make a deal, if your price is not too high."

Maybe I could sell my old plate mail...

Spoiler
    Show
    Alertness DC 13: (1d20)[18]
    (To see subtle actions of the NPCs hinting any intentions or leaning any one way during negotiations. Trying to gauge their reactions and also be prepared for an ambush.)

23. - Top - End - #143

RangerGuy

Mycah listens as Brandon and Ash offer their thoughts to the Guild members.
    "We understand you have a... business, here. I assume the Fangs are trying to muscle in on your territory as competitors. It seems it would benefit all of us if you share the location of this Viper so that we can deal with him. With or without the aid of your, ah, membership."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis merely stood at the window that he had attempted to smash open and looked at the brightening sky.

"I suggest we conclude our business swiftly, else the Fangs get wind of our meeting with you and possible partnership. Twere that to happen, we wouldst indeed lose the advantage of keeping the true number of our allies unknown."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

25. - Top - End - #145

The barkeep seems momentarily stunned by Brandon's exhortation, but quickly returns to his prior bemused demeanor seeming about to laugh.

In response to Ash and Mycah, he replies:

"An equal share of whatever you loot from the snakes will buy you this valuable information. An eighth share, it would seem by your numbers here. And you leave the hideout to me once cleared of Fangs.

I suspect that some of my men might be willing to join you for fifty gold a piece.

Feel free to discuss it and return tomorrow. You heroes look like you could use some rest."
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-11-01 at 12:06 AM.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #146
    Barbarian in the Playground

Alanna resists the urge to give the barkeep an enormous hug. Instead, she nods and blurts out, "Yeah, I know Bran and I are real tired!"
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis found it hard to keep from sagging under his armor. He had been inquiring, stalked, almost killed, and tracking with no time for rest.

At Alanna's outburst he unconciously voiced his own opinion.
    "My sentiments exactly."

He jerked as the words left his mouth.
    I said that out loud didn't I? I admit to it to myself, but it should not be voiced. It is unbecoming.

He walked up to Brandon and spoke wearily:
    "Unless the offer is no longer available, I would like to return to thy dwelling so that we can rest from this venture."
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:

Extended Homebrew Sig

Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

-Unknown XCOM Commander

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

She'll bow her head slightly as she responds, "Thank you. We shall consider your offer." With that, she'll gesture with her gauntlet guarded hand for the others to take their leave. She will wait until last to follow.

29. - Top - End - #149

The bar closes up behind the party, the door is barred and tables are flipped up to cover the windows. The sky is definitely lightening, though no sunlight shines yet.
    Forum Rules

30. - Top - End - #150

RangerGuy

Mycah departs, with a nod of thanks to the barman. "We'll be back tomorrow after we can talk this over."

Outside, he gathers with his friends. "We need some rest so we can even think straight before deciding what to do. That was... not fun, but I'm sure glad it turned out alright in the end. I was pretty worried there for a few minutes."

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll: