New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 39 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Ways IC II

1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Old Ways IC II

ASH

As everyone gathers, Ash will explain the information she's gathered and what access she's been given with regards to water vessels, "Lord Bost has generously offered to lend us his river boat, a bit smaller than the River Rose, but it's unlikely we'll be able to acquire further vessels without paying a handsome fee and offending a few people. The air-skin worked great, you guys, though it doesn't hold a whole lot of air, it'd still help a bit if one of us was to go overboard. Those in heavy armor would still likely need to be rescued, though I found it easier to swim in my enchanted plate mail. The skins will not likely hold out past today, but that's all we should need.

"Also, I heard the Guild is not entirely dissociated with the law around here so we'd best not get on their bad side, but that also means they're not as likely to double-cross us. They act as information sources, fences, security work, and other useful services, which buys them some cover from the authorities."

"I also heard it's unlikely that the Fangs would hire civilians, though prisoners are a possibility. They've been mainly stationed where there are right now, occasionally going up or down river for short periods of time, but not long enough to have been to any other towns or anything."

2. - Top - End - #242
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

A few hours remained before sunset. A light summer wind blew through the tall grasses around Bost's compound. Bost's boat bobs gently in the river down at Bost's private dock. It could comfortably carry a dozen people and has both a sail and poles for maneuvering.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

As the party regroup, Talsarios takes a moment to reassure the others about the Guild's intentions: "It seems they just want us to take out these Fangs, and get a nice boat - ship, sorry - into the bargain. I sensed no ill will towards us."
    He rubs his hands together and smiles broadly. "So, I can give it everything I've got!"

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Yeah!" cheers Alanna, pumping her fist in the air. "Let's de-Fang the Viper!"
    I do avatars. Feel free to PM me!
    Do you like silly games of chance? Come be a Greedy Pig!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Mycah grins at the young cleric's enthusiasm.
    "I'm with Alanna, let's get go get them and finish this one way or the other!"

Player:
    RC D&D: Old Ways OOC/IC/My PC
    Obligatory Blogroll:
    RetroCyberpunk where I tinker at CHROME, an OSR cyberpunk RPG
    Kingdoms in Trevail for my Classic D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran asks the 3 hirelings, "Can you use bows?"

"Some of us might not be in a position to use missile weapons. We'll be fighting close. If you can use a bow with any skill, let me know."

7. - Top - End - #247

None of the hirelings have any experience with bows, but they're all willing to give it a try.
    Forum Rules

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios peers at the Fangs' ship, eyeing the crow's nest. "Did you warrior types decide whether we're shooting the watchman first, then casting sleep, or starting with the sleep spell?" he asks. "Either way, I advise that I cast sleep before you get in amongst them, as it is an indiscriminate spell, and will affect you as soon as our foes."

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"If there is an opportunity to catch four or more in a sleep spell, take that over using your wand against the watch. Only attack the watch with it if he is using ranged attacks on us while not coming down. I Don't think a warning will affect too much since fighting on deck will be a noteworthy commotion in itself.
    "Otherwise, if anyone starts to shout an explanation describing their opponents - us - to those below, they might be a good target for that wand spell."

"Any other questions before we kick some Fang-tail?"

After questions or if there are none, "Alright, let's do this."

She'll lead everyone to the river boat (which is like a small ship) and speak first to the two sailor crew there who would recognize her group from their trip to and from the caves where the necromancer was. She'll explain that they've been given permission from Lord Bost to borrow the use of this vessel for an attack against the Fangs, hopefully the head of the Fangs, and possible to rescue Marie, the missing daughter of Councilman Takish. She'll warn them of their plans on approach so they're all filled in and know to keep the ship at a distance once everyone boards the River Rose. She'll offer them each a gold for putting themselves in slight danger if their cooperation is further needed.

While on the boat, she'll make sure all the heavy armor people have an air-skin if they didn't already. "Oh, and can everyone swim?" She smirks as she asks, seeing as it's so late in the game already and there's little it would change to know this fact of someone now.

She'll also suggest everyone take cover, but for Ash, Nathros, and Brandon, as they approach.

10. - Top - End - #250

The two boatmen readily accept Ash's explanation and one operates the sail and the other the rudder. They mention that each has weapons on board should they need to defend it. They waste no time in shoving off once everyone is on board. The three hirelings sit near the stern and talk amongst themselves.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll pause here for any character actions on the trip. Despite being upriver, the wind is favorable and it'll be a short trip.
    Forum Rules

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros checks his equipment and readies himself for the coming fight.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

– Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

12. - Top - End - #252

Alanna suddenly seems slightly more nervous and mutters, "I've never tried swimming in armor before…"
    She steels herself for the battle.
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...I should be less surprised that someone just posted that none of the descendents of a black dragon can ever be good than I am.

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran hands his shortbow and quiver of arrows to one of the hirelings.

"Just do your best."

He looks around. "Do you have rope? If one of us falls overboard, throw a rope. We'll catch it and you can haul us back in."

14. - Top - End - #254

RangerGuy

Mycah strings his bow and nervously checks his quiver of arrows. As they get closer, he'll have an arrow nocked and be a ready for the start of the battle.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

"I like that plan. There's plenty of rope around here too. Something heavy but buoyant would make it an easy throw. An air-skin even, if it's not too windy.

"But, while we're still standing firm, the rest of you should take cover as we make our approach. Nathros, Brandon, you're both tough and well armored. Stand with me if you wish, but behind, as my armor is most formidable."

---

On the small ship, she'll stand at the side which will be next to the River Rose when they approach with her bow ready and an arrow knocked.
    She has a legs-apart stance with her head tilted down a little and her eyes up. She exhales a breath which those closest to her would hear.
    Her voice sounds smooth with resolve in the quiet moments before the dangers that come next, "It's payback time.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios sits behind the fighters, trying to hide his nervousness as he waits for the right moment to cast his first spell. He listens out for the call of the watch, and fidgets at his wand's hilt, eyeing the river in the afternoon light.

17. - Top - End - #257

Alanna taps her left foot rapidly on the floor. It's unclear whether she's impatient or nervous. She waits for Talsarios to cast his spell. How will we be able to know if it works? Will there be a light? Will they start snoring? Maybe it'll all just go real quiet…
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2012-11-17 at 03:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #258

The boatmen act with the quiet competence typical of Lord Bost's employees. They steer the boat upstream toward the River Rose. The armored members move to the fore and starboard side. Others stand behind. At a hundred yards out, the figure in the crow's nest becomes visible and two other human forms appear on the deck.

Bost's ship sits a few feet lower than the Fangs' vessel but a plank sits nearby that could bridge the gap, albeit precariously.

A call of "Halt!" is barely audible from one of the men on the deck.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-11-18 at 07:28 AM.
    Forum Rules

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros steels himself for action. Should the opportunity present, he uses his pole axe to hook the onto the deck of the Fang's vessel and uses it to heave himself aboard.
    It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one’s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

20. - Top - End - #260

Alanna eyes the board that, though unstable, could be used to board the River Rose and chuckles softly as her mind drifts to stories she's heard of swashbuckling pirates. Never imagined I'd ever be in a scene like this… it's just like a storybook!
    Last edited by MeanMrsMustard; 2012-11-18 at 01:54 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Dragons:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Talsarios whispers (though loud enough for those next to him to hear), "I'll wait till we're a little closer... Of course, I'm ready to act sooner, if we need to, but I judge that boarding the ship needs to follow rapidly on after the beginning of the attack. Right now, they're only curious about us."
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-11-18 at 04:14 AM. Reason: colour formatting

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

If she's heard him, Ash nods at Talsarios in agreement.

"If they surrender, it's alright to subdue and capture rather than slay, though the spells of slumber will greatly improve our safety even in that situation. I'd also prefer we didn't shed blood unless specifically attacked as we've yet to confirm their identities here. Please keep that in mind, everyone."

Ash readies her shield and has her hand on her sword showing no visible signs of backing down or lack of resolve.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

To relieve the tension of waiting, Bran muses, "I've been trying to find a really good red for painting bloodstains. The ones I have access to are just too garish. More like candy red than blood red."

He eyes the river, "This river is too brown and muddy. But maybe it looks better from a distance."

24. - Top - End - #264

RangerGuy

Mycah stands ready with the others, trying to slow his breathing and not get too tense, realizing it will affect his aim.
    Not kill them? he thinks. Isn't that why we're here? To finish them off and eliminate the threat? Still, he trusts Ash's leadership and will hold his fire until forced.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

25. - Top - End - #265

Despite heading upstream, the littler boat closed quickly. At maybe fifty yards, another call of: "Halt! Pirates!" The men raise bows and fire a trio of arrows toward the ship, two hitting the boat and the third falling harmlessly into the water.

In another moment, the two ships will be hull to hull. The River Rose facing downriver, and Bost's ship on the shore side and headed upriver.
    Last edited by Roland St. Jude; 2012-11-19 at 02:16 PM.
    Forum Rules

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

DwarfFighterGirl

Brandon Bor

Bran asks, "Should we even bother to have Talsarios do anything to those three?"

"Their aim is awful! That last guy couldn't hit a barn from 20 feet away."

27. - Top - End - #267

RangerGuy

"Do you want to take the chance they all miss again?," Mycah answers back.

"Lady Ash, they've fired the first volley. What do you want us to do?"
    He points his bow at the larger craft and tests the pull, looking at her for permission.

Player:
    Obligatory Blogroll:

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

ASH

Ash shouts back, "We've come for the Fangs! We are the Rangers formerly employed by Lord Bost. Surrender or be met with lethal force!"

To her group, "Everyone but for Nathros and Brandon and I must take cover. Give them a chance to surrender. If they fire once more, do whatever harm you think necessary, but be careful and don't put yourselves at risk. And Talsarios, three is still too little so hold your spell a bit longer." She nods affirmatively hoping to assure anyone who's watching.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Artanis nodded at Ash's orders, seeming a little uneasy on a boat.

-Earlier-

"Yes, I can swim but I hath never attempted it in my plate mail."
    Invincibility lies in the defense. The possibility of victory is in the attack.
    - Diamond Sword

Featured Homebrews:
    (SF) bombs and Hangar Support
    The Forge (Crafting System)

Extended Homebrew Sig

Dice (feel free to use them!):
    Spoiler
    Show
    [roll]1d20+[/roll]
    [roll]1d6[/roll]
    [rollv]3d6[/rollv]
    [roll]4d6b3[/roll]

"I want you dead enough to turn into a handbag and I want you dead enought to turn into a toaster!"
    -Unknown XCOM Commander

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Nathros hauls himself aboard the enemy ship as soon as the opportunity affords; he keeps his shield handy during the approach, but slings in onto his back as soon as the boats come into contact.