New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread III: Gotta 'Brew 'Em All!

Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    So, malonkey:

Fix on the Law is solid, although you may want to add a little something to prevent use of a single, maybe 2 utterances (that was the lost concept behind it)
    Not sure what you mean there.

The DCs avoid the trap the original fell for, but it may need to be bumped up a tiny bit. I'm not entirely sure, but off the top of my head, i think it scales almost exactly as the average roll as you level, baring items, feats etc. If you factor these in, you can probably make the rolls trivial soon (especially if you get your hands on a "always-take-10" power) and you may want to avoid that. Still, didn't do the math and it's probably no big deal anyway.
    Yeah, bumped the Check DC by 5.

Power chord is kinda tricky, in that you won't be using it aggressively a lot, difficulty of finding a truename and all. I would add a high-DC truespeech check "backdoor", in other words you either make a highly difficult check (possibly at better odds if used helpfully) OR use a truename for it to succeed. Also, might I point out that, unless i'm misunderstanding something, only creatures (PCs and NPCs alike) of 10HD or more allow you research of their truenames. That would you only really get Power Chord at level 10. Or i'm horribly wrong.
    Well, when I say "truename" I don't mean "Personal Truename". Otherwise, I'd say personal truename. That is, the DC for using an utterance on them.

Whammy bar is an interesting mechanic, my only concern is that a d10 is an average 5.5, compared to the 6 you give up on. That means a negligible negative modifier, so you may or may not want to check this. Some very minor scaling with charisma or truespeak, perhaps?
    Yeah. Gonna change the penalty taken.

Anthem of Awesome is, well, awesome. Simple and powerful, perfect for a lvl15 power.
    Thanks.

Power Ballad is strong and solid, except for truename reliance and the issues linked with it.

Finally, PtyFB is great, the short of thing that ought be at lvl20.
    Good to hear.

Bottom line, things look generally solid. If I'm a little harsh, it's cause i'm a tweaker by nature, even perfection can take some improvement. Only really important thing, you may want to modify personal truename rules or add a supporting-replacement-thingy along, something easier to get, to substitute truenames for lesser effect. Maybe a riff that "strikes true" to the target's truename, which you can find with a good roll in-combat and only lasts for a little while?
    Thanks. I'll take this into account.
    Last edited by malonkey1; 2013-05-24 at 05:19 PM.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Not sure what you mean there.
    I mean that the Law you adapted was to make sure truenamers use variety, instead of their 2 or 3 best utterances only. But that failed miserably. So, removing the "not the same utterance on all" is a good idea, but you may need something for "not only shouting around their favorite words", since even then they'll only need to use their "rank 2 utterance" after they've spent 1 round per target using their best, and that's assuming they haven't expired yet.

One idea would be to make repeated use of a small subset of utterances punishable by increased DC. Like, "after you've used x utterances in the day, if any one was more than y% of uses, it gets +z on it's DC". But that will be hard to make work on low levels (unless you come up with some great idea) and is generally a big task. If you feel like the dive, you could try.

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    Well, when I say "truename" I don't mean "Personal Truename". Otherwise, I'd say personal truename. That is, the DC for using an utterance on them.
    Derp me. That makes more sense.

Also, something i forgot. I haven't played much casters, let alone truenamers, so i'm not sure how satisfactory it is to get an extra spell/utterance. But i'm kinda afraid that your "power of rock" levels gravely overshadow the rest, which means you've got a lot of dead levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*

3. - Top - End - #333

Well, from my experience, a new utterance is about on par with getting a new Invocation for Warlocks, or getting extra spells known or spell slots for casters. It's an important component.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #334
    Ettin in the Playground

Then i'm just greedy XD

Think you had 1 dead level though, somewhere between 3 and 6 if i recall, 1 level before the first "tool" uterance? Unless if something important, non-class happens there.
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-05-24 at 05:53 PM.
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

could someone peach my class please :)
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ettin in the Playground

Yup, you're right up next :D Gotta deal with some homework due soon too, though, so it should be ready by tomorrow night. Gave it a look, looks pretty solid (apart from some typos, like a missing word in "i don't love you").

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, you're right up next :D Gotta deal with some homework due soon too, though, so it should be ready by tomorrow night. Gave it a look, looks pretty solid (apart from some typos, like a missing word in "i don't love you").
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

8. - Top - End - #338
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'll have to withdraw my participation to this challenge, as my inspiration for it seems to have abandoned me.

If I ever get near being satisfied with what I've made I'll post it elseware on this forum.

Sorry to have wasted your time
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    The Black Parader

Now come one come all to this tragic affair, wipe off that makeup whats in disrepair, so THROW ON THE BLACK DRESS MIX IN WITH THE LOT! You might wake up and notice you're someone you're not...
    -Gerard way, the most famous of all black paraders

The master of melancholy music, the bardic necromancer, the dirger, the black parader goes by many names, and is known in many forms, but what they all have in common, is that they are frightening, and that is what they use to their advantage

Adventures: Black paraders adventure to spread music, mourning, sorrow, and make people realize that while reality may look like a happy world of sunshine...it isnt...its a cruel reality of pain, darkness, and sorrow, and black paraders often travel in groups (called parades of course) to let people know this.

Characteristics: Black paraders are experts at spreading fear, chaos, and music. They sing songs of sorrow, of mourning, of death, and do so, to simply spread fear.

Alignment: Good black paraders are rare, and neutral and evil black paraders are the most common, they can be of any alignment on the chaotic-lawful scale

Religion: Black paraders often follow no deities but those that do follow ones of despair and sorrow

Background: Usually a black parader is someone who spends their life studying and practicing to become a bard, but sometime before they actually become one, a tragic thing happens. Such things could include loss of a family member, wife, girlfriend, house, or maybe just living a horrible life itself.

Races: Humans are definantly the most common black paraders, but half elves, elves, and halflings can become black paraders as well. Black paraders among dwarves, gnomes, half orcs, or any of the tough or savage races are very rare.

Other Classes: Black paraders interact with bards strangely, for bards inspire courage, while the black parader spreads fear and depression, they treat eachother with respect, but not always with trust. They find fighters and barbarians to be shields from other people in combat, big, fleshy, damage causing shields. The way they interact with clerics and paladins is odd as well, clerics tend to treat them as other people would, but paladins feel a slight sense of unease around black paraders, wondering if they are truly evil, or just misunderstood. Spellcasters such as sorcerers and wizards react with indifference towards them but black paraders actually like them, adding a little bit of fire and destruction to the gloom and despair. Rogues tend to react to them the same as they do bards, liking them, but wishing they would be quiet in certain situations.

Role: The black parader is an odd one, instead of beefing the party like the bard, it weakens the enemy with fear, gloom, and manipulation of the enemies emotions

Adaptation: The DM could introduce a black parader as a party member, or as a support for the enemy, to make the party wonder what that is. Is it a bard? An evil cleric? A sorcerer? All three??

GAME RULE INFORMATION
    Black paraders's have the following game statistics.
    Abilities: Charisma, dexterity, and constitution are important for a dirger, the charisma increases his ability to use spells, the dexterity makes him be stealthy and not get hit, and constitution makes him stay alive in the most heated of battles
    Alignment: Any non-good
    Hit Die: d8
    Starting Age: As bard
    Starting Gold: As cleric

Class Skills
    The Black Parader's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at First Level: (6 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 6 + Int modifier

Black Parader
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +0
    |
    +x
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |I don't love you -1, Welcome to the black parade

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Disenchanted 1/day

3rd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |

4th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |

5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Blood 1/day,

6th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    | Disenchanted 2/day

7th|
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |

8th|
    +6/1
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |I don't love you -2

9th|
    +6/1
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |The sharpest lives..., Blood 2/day

10th|
    +7/2
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Cancer 1/week, Disenchanted 3/day

11th|
    +8/3
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |House of wolves 1/day

12th|
    +9/4
    |
    +3
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |

13th|
    +9/4
    |
    +4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    | Blood 3/day

14th|
    +10/5
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |I don't love you -3, house of wolves 2/day, Disenchanted 4/day

15th|
    +11/6/1
    |
    +4
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |House of wolves 2/day

16th|
    +12/7/2
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    |

17th|
    +12/7/2
    |
    +5
    |
    +10
    |
    +10
    | Blood 4/day, house of wolves 3/day

18th|
    +13/8/3
    |
    +5
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Dead!, House of wolves greater, Disenchanted 5/day

19th|
    +14/9/4
    |
    +6
    |
    +11
    |
    +11
    |Cancer 2/week

20th|
    +15/10/5
    |
    +6
    |
    +12
    |
    +12
    |Famous last words, I don't love you -4[/table]
    {table=head]Spells per day
    {table=head]Level | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
    1st | 2 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
    2nd | 3 | 0 | - | - | - | - | - |
    3rd | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - | - |
    4th | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | - | - | - |
    5th | 3 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - | - |
    6th | 3 | 3 | 2| - | - | - | - |
    7th | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | - | - |
    8th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | - | - | - |
    9th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - |
    10th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 | - | - |
    11th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | - | - |
    12th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - | - | - |
    13th | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 | - |
    14th | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 1 | - |
    15th | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 3 | 2 | - |
    16th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 2 | 0 |
    17th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 3 | 1 |
    18th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | 2 |
    19th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 |
    20th | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 |
    [/table][/table]{table=head]Spells known
    {table=head]Level | 0 | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
    1st | 4 | - | - | - | - | - | - |
    2nd | 5 | 2* | - | - | - | - | - |
    3rd | 6 | 3 | - | - | - | - | - |
    4th | 6 | 3 | 2* | - | - | - | - |
    5th | 6 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | - |
    6th | 6 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - | - |
    7th | 6 | 4 | 4 | 2* | - | - | - |
    8th | 6 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - |
    9th | 6 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - | - |
    10th |6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 2* | - | - |
    11th |6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - |
    12th | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - | - |
    13th | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | - | - |
    14th | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 2* | - |
    15th | 6 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - |
    16th | 6 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 3 | - |
    17th | 6 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 4 | 2* |
    18th | 6 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 4 | 3 |
    19th | 6 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 | 3 |
    20th | 6 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 5 | 4 |
    [/table][/table]
    *provided a black parader has a high enough charisma to have bonus spells of that level to cast.
    This makes sense, Bard spellcasting on a bard chasis, nothing out of the normal.

Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the Black parader

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Black paraders are proficient with all simple weapons, plus the longsword, rapier, sap, short sword, shortbow, and whip. Black paraders are proficient with light armor and shields (except tower shields). A black parader can cast spells while wearing light armor without incurring the normal arcane spell failure chance. However, like any other arcane spellcaster, a black parader wearing medium or heavy armor or using a shield incurs a chance of arcane spell failure if the spell in question has a somatic component (most do). A multiclass black parader still incurs the normal arcane spell failure chance for arcane spells received from other classes.

All other class features go here (Use the format shown directly below if you don't know what to do.)!
    Perhaps delete the above?
    CLASS FEATURE NAME (Ex, Su, Sp, Ps):
    This is repeated above, perhaps remove it to clean everything up, not important though

Welcome to the black parade (Ex):
    You have experienced frightening tragedy, but you don't let that stop you, and as such you gain a +2 on all saves against fear effects
    What type of bonus is this? If any? This is good, but I always hate static bonuses, at lower levels these rock, but at higher they are meh, what about a scaling bonus, maybe +1 per cha per class level, or something similar. nevermind, I read some more

I don't love you (Sp):
    A black parader with 3 or more ranks in a Perform skill can use song or poetics to inspire extreme depression and sadness and weakening them against fear, decreasing their combat abilities. To be affected, an enemy must be able to hear the black parader sing. The effect lasts for as long as the enemy hears the black parader sing and for 5 rounds thereafter. An affected enemy receives a -1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a -1 morale bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls. At 8th level, and every six black parader levels thereafter, this penalty increases by 1 (+2 at 8th, +3 at 14th, and +4 at 20th). I don't love you is a mind-affecting ability. This ability stacks if multiple black paraders are in concert
    No DC makes this rock, like rock hardcore, all the spells that debuff have saves, thats what makes debuffing hard, is that creatures can save. Buffing is easier cause...no saves. So at the very least, I would add a save, DC will 10 + 1/2 + cha. Can only be affected once per day and if saved they are immune for the day, similar to debuffing auras.

Blood! (Sp):
    A number of times per day as indicated on the class chart, a black parader may create a song that influences its allies into feeling bloodthirsty, wanting to create a shower of blood. This also makes their enemies skin weaker and thinner, so for every round that a black parader sings and succeeds a perform check (DC 10+1/2 the HD of the strongest enemy within 30ft) all allies within 30ft gain the wounding property on their weapon. This lasts for a maximum of the black paraders class level divided by 2, and for three rounds after that.
    Solid, and it has a scaling level of difficulty.

The sharpest lives... (Ex):
    At 9th level, you have experienced even more tragedy than most people, your bonus to will saves against fear effects increases to +4, and all allies within 30ft of you are reminded of how tragic your past is, and gain the benefits of welcome to the black parade
    Nice.

House of wolves (Su):
    Once per day as a standard action starting at 11th level, a black parader can make a perform check (DC 18) to summon a pack of Yeth hounds from a dark layer of hell, this pack is 1d4 yeth hounds+1 per 2 black parader levels. At 14th level the black parader can do this twice a day, at 17th level he can do this three times a day, and at 18th level this ability summons shadow mastiffs instead of yeth hounds. These summoned yeth hounds (or shadow mastiffs) last for 1 hour+1 per 2 black parader levels, and they do whatever the black parader wants, such commands can include command, stop, watch, scout, etc.
    This to me feels a little off, it doesn't coincide with the sound theme or the class as an overall, if they were magical wolves that howled with the parader maybe, but not a pure summons ability, not when the class is designed around debuffing, sadness and fear.

Cancer (Sp):
    A number of times per week as noted on the class chart, a black parader may use the contagion spell with a successful DC 15 perform check
    Interesting, this is taking it a little further from the path, but not so much as the House of Wolves. Why not Deafness/Blindness? That would make more sense to me. Or perhaps a special version that deafens them to anything except you, driving them insane...

Disenchanted (Su):
    A number of times per day as indicated on the class chart, a black parader can make a DC 15 perform check to instantly remove one mind influencing effect or spell affecting anyone within 30ft by bringing them back to the real horror of reality instead of the pseudo reality created by magic.
    What action does this require, can he do it to himself and the DC seems woefully low, why not change the DC to scale with level and (perhaps the DC of the spell/ability effect) even the range of the ability?

Dead! (Sp):
    At 18th level a black parader gains a supernatural touch attack similar to the death touch of a cleric with the death domain. Once a day with a successful melee touch attack a black parader rolls a number of D8's equal to his character level, if these add up to the targets HP or more, the target dies instantly no save, if these do not, the target instead taked 5d8 points of damage no save.
    I like this, but the fluff seems off to me, perhaps similar to the Recall Agony power, you could change it to something like: "The parader force the subject to relive every moment of sadness and anguish squeezing them of the will to live".

Famous last words (Sp):
    Starting at level 20 when a black parader dies, he goes out with a bang. When a black parader is reduced to a number of hit points to kill him (I.E. negative 10) the black parader says one final word, and as a free action, casts any one spell he knows. If he is revived because of this, he must still play any XP or expensive material component cost, the material component needed just vanishes as the spell is cast, and the black parader dies. If the last spell cast costed XP but does not revive the character, when the character is revived he has that much XP missing.
    Interesting and not to broken, I like it

BLACK PARADER SPELL LIST
    0-Dancing lights, Daze, Detect magic, Flare, Ghost sound, Inflict minor wounds, Know direction, Light, lullaby, mage hand, open/close, prestidigitation, read magic, summon instrument
    1-Animate rope, Bane, Cause Fear, Charm Person, Confusion (lesser), Detect secret doors, Disguise self, Erase, Grease, Hideous laughter, Hideous laughter, Hypnotism, Magic Mouth, Magic aura, Obscure object, Silent image, Sleep, Summon monster I, Undetectable alignment, Unseen servant, Ventriloquism
    2-Alter self, Blindness/Deafness, Blur, Darkness, Daze monster, Detect thoughts, Enthrall, Hold person, Hypnotic pattern, Inflict moderate wounds, Invisibility, Minor image, Mirror image, Misdetection, Pyrotechnics, Rage, Scare, Shatter, Silence, sound burst, Suggestion, Summon monster II,
    Summon swarm, Whispering wind
    3-Blink, Charm monster, Clairaudience/Clairvoiance, Confusion, Crushing despair, Deeper darkness, Deep slumber, Dispel magic, Displacement, Fear, Gaseous form, Geas (lesser), Haste, Illusory script, Inflict serious wounds, Invisibility sphere, Major image, Phantom steed, Scrying, Sculpt sound, Secret page, See invisibility, Sepia snake sigil, Slow, Summon monster III
    4-Detect scrying, Dimension door, Dominate person, Freedom of movement, Hallucinatory terrain, hold monster, Inflict critical wounds, Invisibility (Greater), Modify memory, Rainbow pattern, Shadow conjuration, Shout, Summon monster IV, Zone of silence
    5-Dispel magic (greater), Dream, False vision, Inflict light wounds (mass), Mind fog, Mirage arcana, Nightmare, Persistant image, Shadow evocation, shadow walk, Song of discord, Suggestion (mass), Summon monster V
    6-Analyze Dweomer, Animate objects, Charm monster (mass), Eyebite, Geas/quest, Harm, Inflict moderate wounds (mass), Irresistable dance, Permenant image, Programmed image, Project image, Scrying (greater), Shout (greater), Summon monster VI, Sympathetic vibration, Veil

Why no cure spells, without that, it's going to seriously reduce the effectiveness of the class, plus it's awesome fluff, they only do it to keep you feeling the pain and anguish that is the life they live!
    Comments above in green. Some minor grammatical errors (I'm not to good myself, so take them with a pinch of salt) but overall, the class is awsome, I love the feeling and theme of it, great debuffer and great class!

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2013-05-25 at 11:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Ettin in the Playground

that was my first ever base class :)
    Same here :D kinda over our heads, aren't we? :P

so:

I don't love you: Pretty simple and good, only detail of note is a typo:

[...]to inspire extreme depression and sadness in his ? weakening them against[...]
    Word missing where the cyan question mark is. I suppose it says enemies, or something fluffier.

Blood!: The DC is a little low-ish. I'm not too sure about the "HD/2" part, as their HD usually corresponds with level your perform ranks grow at least by 1 per level, not to mention the extra 3, stat modifiers, feats and tools. Generally, the "10+" part counters the d20 (with an average result of 10.5). So unless you want the roll eventually trivial, i'd make that a simple "10+HD" (maybe with a personal DC instead of a "stronger HD in group" one), and if you want the roll to be generally easy i'd reduce the flat bit (the 10+).

The sharpest lives and it's younger sibling seem solid, maybe a save is needed though. The "welcome" one might be a little dip-friendly too, but that's probably ok.

House of wolves: What worries me here is their number. At level 20, you summon 11-14 shadow mastiffs. The problem is not power, but a) their turns are going to take a LONG time and b) room issues. we're talking 14 squares occupied, it will be troublesome to do anything even if you don't use them as a wall. I would instead have them empowered by your level. Also, as BelGareth said, add a line about them "singing" with you to keep it justified.

Cancer: It's ok, keeping with your tragic theme, but I really like BelGareth's idea of the... results... of a blindness-and-deafness-except-me spell. And it sounds really dark :P

Disenchanted: DC ought scale with the caster level, maybe 10+caster level+caster's casting stat mod is fair. Again, 10=d20, caster level=perform and his mod=your mod on perform.

Famous last words is solid methinks

Also, early levels have a few dead ones between them (for clarity, that means levels where nothing is gained). Other than that, pretty good job overall! GG!
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-05-27 at 05:12 PM.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

The Themeweaver is eventually, and finally, done. Unless he isn't. In any case, I have for now even completed the "behind the curtain" section, which some may find interesting.
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2013-05-27 at 05:10 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

Hope you all don't mind last minute entries. I just realized what the contests theme was last night, and an idea came to me.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

If you can act on it on such short notice, welcome! But, short notice :P

14. - Top - End - #344

Well, since this contest has come to a close, I'd like to submit "Steam and Sorcery" (that is, steampunk) as a potential theme for a later contest.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #345
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Themeweaver is eventually, and finally, done. Unless he isn't. In any case, I have for now even completed the "behind the curtain" section, which some may find interesting.
    Cyan burns the eyes of the weak.

Damn those DM notes.

Also, it looks like sirpercival finished, if I'm not mistaken. The only thing is that the little bit of fluff right above the game rule information is missing.

And in swoops the dragon for his last-minute entry. Excellent.

At any rate, there are still just under nineteen and a half hours left in the contest, so any more last-minute work can still be done.

And for the newcomers, votes for the theme of the contest are welcome from everybody. A tally will be started and then the contest will start with the most popular theme.

We've had a steampunk contest already, but if votes come in for another, I'm not opposed to it, I reckon. It was Base Class Contest VII - You've Been PUNK'D!, for reference.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

16. - Top - End - #346

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Also, it looks like sirpercival finished, if I'm not mistaken. The only thing is that the little bit of fluff right above the game rule information is missing.
    Yes, I managed to squeak it in while soothing the new baby (who arrived early thursday morning).

Not my most polished work, I'll admit, for obvious reasons (I have a bunch more soulmeld ideas that I'll add after the contest, and some supporting material as well)... I expect it'll be the end of my streak, but c'est la vie -- I'm glad I completed it, at least.

Can we get a repost of the categories from last time?
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Yes, I managed to squeak it in while soothing the new baby (who arrived early thursday morning).

Not my most polished work, I'll admit, for obvious reasons (I have a bunch more soulmeld ideas that I'll add after the contest, and some supporting material as well)... I expect it'll be the end of my streak, but c'est la vie -- I'm glad I completed it, at least.

Congratulations! Babies are hardwork!

My vote is: space, of the outer kind, or even void the 5th element.

Although, I do like steam punk
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

18. - Top - End - #348

{table=head]Theme|Votes|Voters
    Something Bad Luck|0|
    Slack and Hash (food)|0|
    Madness|2|Zaydos, inuyasha
    Inner Planes|0|
    Time|0|
    Alternate Magic|0|
    NPCs|0|
    Steam and Sorcery|1|malonkey1
    SPAAAAAACE|1|BelGareth
    Metagaming MAAAAANNNIIIIAAAAAA|1|Pyromancer999[/table]

Congrats, man, and good luck.

I'm glad I completed it, at least.
    I am too.

Certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    My vote is: space, of the outer kind, or even void the 5th element.
    Base Class Contest II - Altar of Naught and Base Class Contest VIII - One Small Step for a Contest...One Giant Step for Contestkind.

Again, not opposed to either. Just pointing out that they've been done, if you really want something original.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-05-29 at 03:01 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

19. - Top - End - #349

Thank you!

I have ideas for all of these, though I'd like to vote against "alternate magic", since that's a mechanical requirement more than a theme... you can have alternate magic in any of the other categories.

gitp extended sig

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ogre in the Playground

I vote inner planes

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei View Post
    Base Class Contest II - Altar of Naught and Base Class Contest VIII - One Small Step for a Contest...One Giant Step for Contestkind.

Again, not opposed to either. Just pointing out that they've been done, if you really want something original.
    Hmm, alrigh then, are those listed in the table topics not done?

I vote inner planes
    Define Inner planes?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

22. - Top - End - #352

We could expand it to just "The Planes"...

(yay, Planeswalker)
    Last edited by sirpercival; 2013-05-28 at 07:50 PM.

gitp extended sig

23. - Top - End - #353
    Ogre in the Playground

inner planes, on the chart, AKA heaven, hell, asgard, gehenna, the abyss etc

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

24. - Top - End - #354

inner planes, on the chart, AKA heaven, hell, asgard, gehenna, the abyss etc
    Those are outer planes. Inner planes are the elemental ones.

gitp extended sig

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

I vote Madness.

Though I do love me some Inner Plane stuff.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    I vote Madness.

Though I do love me some Inner Plane stuff.
    hmmm, madness could be fun.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #357

RedWizardGuy

Woo! Very last minute entry on my part. It's the Conductor, based on the Song Summoner game for the iOS. If anyone would want to give feedback at this late hour, it'd be welcome.

As for the next contest theme, I think a meta-game theme could be fun.

Failing that, of course, madness would get my vote.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ogre in the Playground

Those are outer planes. Inner planes are the elemental ones.
    oh...yeah...I knew that!

I change my vote to madness

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

trophies

29. - Top - End - #359

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Hmm, alrigh then, are those listed in the table topics not done?
    Like I said, I'm totally okay with themes that have been done. The ones on the list have been voted for previously.

Also, inuyasha, feel free to add to the list if you want to vote for outer planes.

Table updated, by the way. When a new page starts, I'll post the table again.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-05-29 at 03:01 PM.
    Homebrew

30. - Top - End - #360

Voting thread is up. Plenty of entries this time and all of them look really rocking.

Good luck and keep the theme votes coming.
    Homebrew