New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313247 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread III: Gotta 'Brew 'Em All!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    Also I have a pretty long thing about the classes from the current contest if anyone wants to see and promises not to get mad about scathing comments. If I review things I focus on the negative so don't typically say stuff if not asked. I did not cover the plant one in detail.
    I would like to see it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    So the real question is, what is a Ling?

2. - Top - End - #632
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The simple answer to that is 2 things: 1 as written it's unclear whether they have to make multiple saves against an effect each round allowing you to force multiple saves or lose in a round (since touch attacks will hit almost always) or 2 if you go with 2-Weapon Fighting you can go with a sneak attack style build which struck me as a little off and got worse when you add on the bonus damage and save or lose effects even if those were only suffered once per round.
    Immense thanks for the critique and suggestions! Honestly, my idea with iterative lobotomies is supposed to function somewhat similar to the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling, in that while full-attacking multiple opponents should individually affect them of any Essence Chirurgery on a Lobotomy, no more than one Essence Chirurgery effect can be applied to an opponent per turn. I believe that would scale the power down immensely from what it seems to be before, based on the critique.

On the topic of SA damage levels, I'd say that it was actually on purpose and sort of the standard that I set in terms of damage output minimum. However, I am leaning towards limiting it to one weapon at a time, in light of possible TWF/MWF interaction.

I'd clear more things up in the class description after the contest is over. However, I gotta say that this is a really good start on how to further polish the class mechanics and balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Network View Post
    I would like to see it too.
    At this point I'm giving it to creators only, because well partially some of the problems are that they aren't polished because they are contest classes and I know how some things don't get noticed until after the deadline...

That reminds me I need to repost Dragon Chorister with the ability I forgot (free ranks in Perform [Vocal]).

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Immense thanks for the critique and suggestions! Honestly, my idea with iterative lobotomies is supposed to function somewhat similar to the Duskblade's Arcane Channeling, in that while full-attacking multiple opponents should individually affect them of any Essence Chirurgery on a Lobotomy, no more than one Essence Chirurgery effect can be applied to an opponent per turn. I believe that would scale the power down immensely from what it seems to be before, based on the critique.

On the topic of SA damage levels, I'd say that it was actually on purpose and sort of the standard that I set in terms of damage output minimum. However, I am leaning towards limiting it to one weapon at a time, in light of possible TWF/MWF interaction.

I'd clear more things up in the class description after the contest is over. However, I gotta say that this is a really good start on how to further polish the class mechanics and balance.
    I'd actually like to see it in play once it's a little more polished, even now it looks like it could use testing to polish things (and see where the wording is unclear etc).
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

4. - Top - End - #634

At this point I'm giving it to creators only, because well partially some of the problems are that they aren't polished because they are contest classes and I know how some things don't get noticed until after the deadline...
    Epic fail! My class is in the contest, actually. It's the Apostle of Madness, just in case.
    Last edited by Network; 2013-08-31 at 11:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    "I am a human sixtyfourthling! Fear my minimal halfling ancestry!")
    Quote Originally Posted by Zweisteine View Post
    So the real question is, what is a Ling?

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

He means, to each their own. He'll only send you the Apostle, that is.

I'd like to see thought on mine as well, it didn't go too well but I'm satisfied, my experience considered, so I'd like to hear another's thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

Epic fail! My class is in the contest, actually. It's the Apostle of Madness, just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    He means, to each their own. He'll only send you the Apostle, that is.

I'd like to see thought on mine as well, it didn't go too well but I'm satisfied, my experience considered, so I'd like to hear another's thoughts.
    No he's right it's an epic fail, I only remember a few of the names and mostly through avatars. I'll send him his, but I didn't do yours thoroughly because by that point my brain was shutting down.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

7. - Top - End - #637
    Ettin in the Playground

Arborist
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

I'd be interested in seeing mine.
    A role playing game is three things. It is an interactive story, a game of chance, and a process in critical thinking.

If brevity is the soul of wit, I'm witty like a vampire!

World of Aranth
    M&M 3e Character Guide

9. - Top - End - #639
    Troll in the Playground

I would appreciate to hear what you have to say on my class as well. It was rather a bit late submitted and didn't benefit from any output from anyone else, so I'm sure there are a lot of things that needs to be worked on.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    Arborist
    The plant one, which I mentioned I didn't go over in detail (I mostly saw enough of the Flowers to realize they were mostly RP restriction based which requires a certain type of setting and DM to work and there's no real way to gauge their power balance).

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFawkes View Post
    I would appreciate to hear what you have to say on my class as well. It was rather a bit late submitted and didn't benefit from any output from anyone else, so I'm sure there are a lot of things that needs to be worked on.
    I'll send it to you. Though it does remind me, I couldn't find a way to use the Maximum Insanities without waiting a turn between parts of the combo which I really wasn't sure was even allowed (you have a maximum of 23 Delirium it takes 25 to use them). And it was more than halfway through the class I finally thought of 2WF (which makes hitting with the later deliriums much easier).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-08-31 at 11:06 PM.

Current Projects:

11. - Top - End - #641
    Troll in the Playground

Thanks for the critique, Zaydos. Still reading and I pretty much get what you say there. I've had similar reservations to some points you mentioned, but you just gotta post it to hear what other people think.

For the Maximum Insanity attacks, you could actually do them the first round via the Delirium Overload ability.

Delirium Overload (Ex): Delirium Blades of 18th level break through the limits of their insanity and venture deeper into the realms of Delirium. She can opt to acquire Delirium Points beyond her maximum per level. However, each round that she has more Delirium Points than her maximum per level, her Delirium Junkie ability stops working, and she instead suffers a penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, AC, and saves equal to half the value over the maximum.

12. - Top - End - #642
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the critique, Zaydos. Still reading and I pretty much get what you say there. I've had similar reservations to some points you mentioned, but you just gotta post it to hear what other people think.

For the Maximum Insanity attacks, you could actually do them the first round via the Delirium Overload ability.
    Somehow I missed that ability all together Sorry about that. I'd have given the Maximum Insanity attacks more detailed inspection if I had noticed it.

Current Projects:

13. - Top - End - #643
    Troll in the Playground

Well.

It's not too late now.

If you have the time, of course. I intend to post it after the contest anyway as it really hasn't been critiqued yet. As you pointed out in yours, it really screams of being an alpha as of now, and there are a lot of things left to be done.
    Last edited by GuyFawkes; 2013-09-01 at 12:09 AM.

14. - Top - End - #644
    Titan in the Playground

Well.

It's not too late now.

If you have the time, of course. I intend to post it after the contest anyway as it really hasn't been critiqued yet. As you pointed out in yours, it really screams of being an alpha as of now, and there are a lot of things left to be done.
    Nah, I'm critiqued out for now.

I think I've given people enough reason to hate me until the next contest

Serious answer, though, I went through all of them in 2 days, I'm not surprised I started thinking I had read stuff I hadn't at least at some point in that, and my brain is still reeling. Besides I have to get started on my idea for the Inner Planes in case it gets the vote (I got a brew bunny for it ).

Current Projects:

15. - Top - End - #645
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just want to state that this is by far the best series of "chef" thread on the whole forum. The threads are a treasure trove of brilliant ideas, many worthy of actually being in a sourcebook.
    Last edited by Rosstin; 2013-09-01 at 11:30 AM.
    Check out our O'Reilly Book, "Creating Augmented and Virtual Realities: Theory and Practice for Next-Generation Spatial Computing"
    I contributed Chapter 13: "Virtual Reality Enterprise Training Use Cases"

16. - Top - End - #646

Edit : I know its late to ask, but a PEACH on the Apostle of Madness would be appreciated.
    Sorry about that. I was too busy to even fix my own class. I owe you a PEACH.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

17. - Top - End - #647

Quote Originally Posted by Aster Azul View Post
    I just want to state that this is by far the best series of "chef" thread on the whole forum. The threads are a treasure trove of brilliant ideas, many worthy of actually being in a sourcebook.
    A sourcebook? That's a good idea.
    Much thanks to Wayril for the awesome avatar!

Exotic Weapon PrC Contest

My one homebrew, perpetually incomplete

"The pro of using fire is that your enemies are burning to death - the con is that now you have to face flaming enemies."

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

So when is the next contest? Has it even been decided yet? Tried to find it and failed.

Current Projects:

19. - Top - End - #649
    Firbolg in the Playground

So when is the next contest? Has it even been decided yet? Tried to find it and failed.
    I let the votes for the next theme come in until the voting thread for the current contest closes, usually.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

20. - Top - End - #650
    Dwarf in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I'll vote in favor of the Inner Planes as the next contest theme.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I started my first campaign on a spelljamming vessel disguised to look like a terrestrial zeppelin.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Titan in the Playground

Well I'm glad to be able to say I have a good idea what I might make if Inner Planes wins: An elemental themed/genie descended invocation using class.

Current Projects:

22. - Top - End - #652
    Orc in the Playground

I'd love to see a critique for the Fury, Zaydos. I have thick skin so this sounds perfect.

On the note of critiques, Silva, a player in my current game (higher level) is looking at playing the black blood vanguard. I'll see if I can send you some feedback on how it performs in mid-high play (level 13+).
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

23. - Top - End - #653

What's the current chart for the themes?
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

24. - Top - End - #654

Quote Originally Posted by malonkey1 View Post
    What's the current chart for the themes?
    I hadn't posted even close to the top of this page, so I didn't post it this time, but I keep updating the previous. Here it is for convenience.

{table=head]Theme|Votes|Voters
    Something Bad Luck|0|
    Slack and Hash (food)|0|
    Inner Planes|8|Amechra, ben-zayb, BlasphemousSlug, Jester of Doom, Silva Stormrage, sirpercival, Xhosant, Zaydos
    Time|0|
    Alternate Magic|3|InstinctsKill, malonkey1, Tavar
    NPCs|0|
    Steam and Sorcery|1|GuyFawkes
    SPAAAAAACE|1|Cheesy74
    Metagaming MAAAAANNNIIIIAAAAAA|0|
    Variable Magic|1|Network[/table]
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

25. - Top - End - #655

Do the material, ethereal and shadow plane count as inner planes?

"The pro of using fire is that your enemies are burning to death - the con is that now you have to face flaming enemies."

26. - Top - End - #656
    Ettin in the Playground

No, since they are transitives and the material, respectively.

That said, adding a little of them on a class based on the others is fine, or so I'm told. But you'll have to use the elemental+energy ones to justify theme.

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

I've been kicking around ideas for my class... ok I'll be honest I've been brewing 80+ invocations for it, building the chassis, and I was forced to go hiking the other day so I had nothing to do but think and walk and that's how I've always done my best creative stuff so... rambling sorry.

The point: I've got a question. If we want to make a PrC to build off of our class what are the guidelines for posting it? Wait till after the tournament? Post it in a different thread linking back to the tournament (feels unfair to do)? Are there any guidelines?

PrC idea if anyone is interested:
    Spoiler
    Show
    My idea for the class is a theoretically genie descended invocation using class (hopefully doing some interesting/different things with invocations) and I remembered the Khayal from Tome of Magic and thought that a PrC for those descended from the genies of the Plane of Shadow would be an interesting take; give them a few different abilities some better stealth and an expanded list of invocations that they can take while in this class/after finishing the class. Oh yeah and make the class accessible to warlocks as well, because they have enough of a darkness theme I could see justifying one of them as being descended from a shadow genie as easily as justifying a class built to be elemental themed with limited (primarily genie-themed) non-elemental powers*.

*I consider invisibility an elemental power.

Edit: Yeah I have a little Ethereal planar stuff in mine (one invocation) planned because of tradition (I loved 2e Planescape fluff and the Ethereal was connected to the Inner Planes in 2e instead of just the Prime, but the Astral wasn't connected to them at all and the Plane of Shadow was an etheral demiplane).
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2013-09-03 at 10:28 PM.

Current Projects:

28. - Top - End - #658

The point: I've got a question. If we want to make a PrC to build off of our class what are the guidelines for posting it? Wait till after the tournament? Post it in a different thread linking back to the tournament (feels unfair to do)? Are there any guidelines?
    Basically, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei
    Go crazy; new mechanics, new feats, new items, and everything else you can think of are fair game!
    Every contest has this bit. The prestige class should have a really strong tie to the base class, however, if you're entering it in the same post/posts. The MUHA contest required at least six levels in a base class to enter a prestige class; I'm not going to set a hard limit like this, but strong ties to the base class should be present in the prestige class (mechanically and fluff-wise). If you're not sure, just wait until after the contest, though if it shows itself to be problematic and it's in the same thread, I'm not going to disqualify you or anything for trying. I'll just say it in here and not include the prestige class as part of the voting process if left up. I doubt that'll come up, though.

I like your idea.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2013-09-04 at 01:36 AM.
    Homebrew

29. - Top - End - #659

Shouldn't that be 5 levels?

30. - Top - End - #660

Quote Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
    Shouldn't that be 5 levels?
    Maybe it was. I dunno. That contest died after the first one.
    Homebrew