New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 40 of 49 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940414243444546474849 LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,200 of 1444
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread III: Gotta 'Brew 'Em All!

I was bored so I did the same thing, I haven't read yours yet Zaydos so I don't know if we said any of the same things. I'll check afterwards.

Spoiler: Time
    Show
    A Rogue/Adventurer class that can see six seconds into the future, like that Nicholas Cage film. Core ability would be (number of times) per encounter he can have the DM say what someone's next action will be before he takes his turn. Improvements could be either targeting more creatures, or have them roll any attack rolls and skill checks in advance so they know whether they should get out of range or if they can stand and take it. Other stuff he could get might be halving the time it takes to take 20 since he can run through the failed outcomes in his head, and

Spoiler: Reality Warping
    Show
    I really have no clue for this one. Anything I can think of is either too boring or too powerful. Reality warping, to me, is Mr. Mxyzptlk. A godlike being unbound by the limits of reality. A cool idea would be a class that uses forced perspective to manipulate size and distance, but I can't think of how to express that mechanically without making them gods

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    I would make a mundane Special Forces Soldier or Commando. Sets traps, sneak attacks and take-downs, fights with a knife and an empty hand, uses body flips and disarms in their fighting. Eventually can automatically use a Body-flip to counter a melee attack once per round.

Spoiler: Dragons
    Show
    I'll be honest, Wizards of the Coast has oversaturated dragons, There's dragonbreath users, dragon worshipers, dragon soulmelds, at least three prestige classes where you turn into a dragon, dragon slayers, dragon riders, the list is endless. Anything I could possibly come up with would be an extension of a prestige class that already exists, a fix for a base class, adding dragons to a class that already exists or just plain redundant. So I'd pass on this one

Spoiler: The Apocalypse
    Show
    There's a lot of ways this can go, but I want to do something with radiation. A nuclear invocation user or some kind of radioactive man. I could add a new disease for Radiation Sickness or I could do comic book radiation where it makes zombies and grants superpowers.

Spoiler: Forbidden Fruit
    Show
    I'm not quite sure what this one means, but I'll take a guess and say that a Promethian figure that stole something precious from the gods and is attempting to unlock its powers would fit.

Spoiler: Death
    Show
    A ghostly possessor? eh, seems a bit of a one trick pony. Incorporeality is a hard thing to base a class around since it is such a powerful ability for a player to have at any level. I'll have to think on this one

Spoiler: Life
    Show
    Another one that I'll have to think on. A class deals damage by overloading people with positive energy? It could "Heal" broken bones that aren't broken making their limbs stiff. It could remove 'poisons' that are only poisonous in large doses but necessary for the body to survive, like Iron or Zinc

Spoiler: Peace
    Show
    A class that seeks peace between two feuding gods, like Heironeous and Hextor. I would probably write the class for those two specifically but let it be adapted to two others. I'm not sure if it would be more like a paladin or a cleric. that's something I'd have to dwell on

Spoiler: Companions
    Show
    I think I'd try to do something with a robot. He might do cybernetics to himself, but I'd put him as a Rigger from Shadowrun first.

Spoiler: Tabletop Games
    Show
    I will make a Glitter Boy. The idea of creating Boom Gun statistics for D&D sends chills up my spine (never enough multiplication when determining damage). Will it be overpowered? maybe, but I think I've got a good idea to even it out. Besides, Just look it up and tell me you wouldn't want to play as one of those facing off against a dragon or other colossal monster.

Spoiler: Colors
    Show
    A class that uses colors to manipulate emotions? Red for rage, orange for joy, yellow for cowardice, green for greed, blue for sadness, purple for pride. It's just a random thought with no hard facts yet

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Ettin in the Playground

Jumping on the bandwagon:

Spoiler: Reality Warping
    Show
    What I call the 'warp sniper'. A crossbow user that snipes or dual-wields hand crossbows. Sniping would boost his range, have him 'skip' range increments (and the obstacles in them) or re-launch a fired bolt (now embedded in a wall behind the target, for example?) Duals would use rope trick-like spaces to sow confusion and attack/retreat (1/day?), plus assorted rapid fire/portal fire actions. I'd give them very minor, range-independent SA, on a psionic chassis.

I'd also love to build Kumagawa's All Fiction (basically, undo anything, from a murder to the existence of the color blue) but that would be too empty, and too strong.

Spoiler: Stealth
    Show
    Warp Sniper again

Spoiler: The Apocalypse
    Show
    The Riders, of course. Give the class 4 'aspects' matching each of the riders (swapping will take a while), plus the skillset for efficient mounted combat. Will take some study of original material to get the aspects right, though.

Spoiler: Companions
    Show
    Guardian of the Possessed: Think Riku's Guardian, kingdom hearts. A 'symbiote' with several different uses, and often an agenda of its own. Plus 'signaturizing' a weapon (to more easily be upgraded and other features).

Spoiler: Colors
    Show
    Fude Ezumachi's tricks, Medaka Box. Basically, you mix colors and apply them to objects (automatically) to different effect: a 'brittle grey' makes the object too easy to shatter. A 'bright pink' outfit ruins any intimidation attempt. A 'bruise blue' inflicts subdual damage, and a 'blood red' profound bleeding. So on, so forth, with at least some freedom in making new colors.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

*kills important NPC, avoids entire planned out plot*

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Whelp, last day for voting! Better get those votes in.

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Firbolg in the Playground

1st Place: Mecha Ace, by Jester of Doom
    2nd Place: Animator, by Zaydos
    3rd Place: Magical Girl, by Beelzebub1111
    Honorable Mention: Man, by sengmeng

Well done to everyone. I'll tally up the votes for the next contest and start it up within a couple of days (hopefully more votes will come in by then...if not, oh well).
    Last edited by Temotei; 2014-06-16 at 03:57 AM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

5. - Top - End - #1175
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Gratz to Jester of Doom for the win, as well as to the runners up.

For the next contest, I vote for apocalypse as earlier mentioned. I can think of an idea or two, but i'll think about it more once we get decided on the SI.
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Hats off to jester! And a second third place for me. Maybe I can make it a hat trick.

Meanwhile I'll be working out ways to frame Glitter Boy in a way that it fits into one of the other categories.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2014-06-16 at 09:42 AM.

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Bugbear in the Playground

I vote apocalypse, on the assumption that alternate end-of-the-world myths are allowed, because I want to do something based on Ragnarok with Viking Berzerkers.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

8. - Top - End - #1178

Quote Originally Posted by sengmeng View Post
    I vote apocalypse, on the assumption that alternate end-of-the-world myths are allowed, because I want to do something based on Ragnarok with Viking Berzerkers.
    Of course. "Apocalypse" would just mean end of the world rather than being specifically related to any real-world ends for the purposes of the contest.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

The due date is May 31, is that correct? That seems like an awful amount of time, to be honest.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

10. - Top - End - #1180

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    The due date is May 31, is that correct? That seems like an awful amount of time, to be honest.
    My bad.

I'd have spotted it when I proofread after posting everything up. I usually proofread it after I post that, edit my signature, post the thread here, and edit the OP. But thanks!

Here's the thread, everyone.

EDIT: Oh, and for everyone not aware--the tables look funny because of a recent fix to the boards. Rawhide said they'll be fixed soon, but if you need code for a prettier table, just ask.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2014-06-20 at 02:53 AM.
    Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Well, um, apologies for that monstrosity. My class approaches six classes in one, and could be built to replace any of six classes perfectly well... which was kind of the point. The other point was partially balance - it gives each class half spellcasting, makes monk entirely worth taking, gives "fighter" and "rogue" much higher damage output, gives a very vaguely bardic class 3/4 spellcasting (reaching 15th level) as well as lots of skill points, lots of customizeable skills, and lots of daily respecing, while the spellcasting classes are pretty much straight spellcasting. It uses semi-optimization as a baseline, but limits optimization, I think... I haven't actually made the setting in which that class could potentially be the only class, but I'm honestly kind of tempted now.

I tried to make it readable, but if the tripled gap bold italics between specializations wasn't enough, you can ctrl-f or apple-f to find Bladeweaver, Reaper, Bastion, Master, Conduit and Trickster... I think the fact that I need to say that is a sign of the ridiculousness of this class fun to make though! Any suggestions for improvement are totally welcome, though this is a contest
    Last edited by r2d2go; 2014-06-20 at 06:59 AM.

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Darn it, I was beaten to the punch on using something from Rifts. I'm sure I can think of something else...though I may just skip this one if I can't

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Barbarian in the Playground

eek Re: Base Class Challenge Chat Thread III: Gotta 'Brew 'Em All!

I added my own post apocalyptic class.
    Hopefully it meets criteria (fingers crossed).
    Yelling at me is acceptable.
    Sweet Kobold from Vault 13 by ThePrez1776 !

"If the powers that be are angry, give them a weapon."

Homebrew:

14. - Top - End - #1184

I'm gonna go with a time-travelling class, from those stories where a person is sent back to avoid a post-apocalyptic future.
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Titan in the Playground

My idea is still a mentor class that looks for prophesied heroes to train them for their apocalyptic situations. I think parts of it will be based on Fighter actually

Spoiler: To Clarify
    Show
    I think they will gain Bonus Fighter feats and the ability to lend them to other characters, as well as other abilities based around on training allies such as competence bonuses to skills, and possibly even inherent bonuses to other people's ability scores.

Think Charon (the centaur) or Obi-Wan Kenobi/Yoda in the OT. Not so much a warrior themselves as the one who trains them, prepares them, and on occasion has to kick some rears.

Edit: Ooh sudden new idea a class for a warrior who becomes increasingly like the Tarrasque, taking on the nature and power of that beast of the apocalypse.
    Last edited by Zaydos; 2014-06-20 at 02:16 PM.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

16. - Top - End - #1186
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'm thinking of using an Elder Evils theme of apocalypse. A Harbinger of sorts that turns the Elder Evil Signs as a subsystem, divided between Presages (passive effects) and Omens (triggered or activated effects)..

I may include a feature that makes his warnings always count as lies and giving him a stacking penaty to bluff for each of his abilities, just for the LOLs.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Elder Evil Signs
    I like the idea, so long as you use the branch version.

Use the other, and you'll be fighting shogoths with your hands.

/endrandomrant
    "What's this? A railroad? Well, we better cross it now, or the train will come along and sweep us down the tracks!"

18. - Top - End - #1188
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Xhosant View Post
    I like the idea, so long as you use the branch version.

Use the other, and you'll be fighting shogoths with your hands.

/endrandomrant
    Branch version? If you meant a toned down interpretation, that's very much the plan. Actual Signs are too powerful as a normal class ability, anyway.

19. - Top - End - #1189

Branch version? If you meant a toned down interpretation, that's very much the plan. Actual Signs are too powerful as a normal class ability, anyway.
    Although, calling an Elder Evil could make for an interesting capstone...
    White is my color for internal monologue. (without the black highlight, of course)

Judge's choice in the Pathfinder Grab Bag XIX
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatar by the ever-brilliant Ceika

Paizocarnum - A 3.p update of Incarnum, now in PDF!
    The Beastmaster: Master of Beasts! (Pathfinder homebrew class)

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Pixie in the Playground

I think I'll give this a shot. I swear, naming things is the hardest part of this

Hopefully i'll have it posted in the next few days

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Ettin in the Playground

I didn't know there was mechanic called that. Source?

It was a joke off of Lovecraft's elder sign, whose description was changed by his 'heir'. So never mind me :P

22. - Top - End - #1192

Quote Originally Posted by Shaella View Post
    I think I'll give this a shot. I swear, naming things is the hardest part of this
    It is pretty hard to think of something original and non-cliche that sounds good and isn't too specific for the class. I usually just start writing abilities if I can't think of a name, using NAME as a placeholder until I do think of one.
    Homebrew

23. - Top - End - #1193
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm sort of having the opposite problem.

I have a name, concept, and capstone. But I have no idea for progression. The idea? Cosmic Herald.

I have no idea how to fit a cosmic energy wielding space surfer that calls the eater of worlds into a party dynamic.

24. - Top - End - #1194
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds like a class fit to a planes campaign. Manual of the Planes and Planar Handbook have several (mostly prestige) classes you could draw from.

(Realised this morning, a Keyblade bearer would be right at home in this contest, but since I got another entry, i wish someone would pass by and pick it up :-P))

25. - Top - End - #1195
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

The setting isn't the problem. I'd just use spelljammer mechanics. The problem I'm having is how would anyone work with that class, when its core concept is readying worlds to be devoured and calling the planet-eater when he's done.

26. - Top - End - #1196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    The setting isn't the problem. I'd just use spelljammer mechanics. The problem I'm having is how would anyone work with that class, when its core concept is readying worlds to be devoured and calling the planet-eater when he's done.
    Everyone has to start from somewhere. While breaking off from your source's details (but not spirit), you could prepare and mark smaller stuff for devouring from the planes beyond, and leave the world-scale devouring to be fueled by a class-bound artifact or something. that's just an idea, i hope it's helpful.

27. - Top - End - #1197
    Titan in the Playground

So types of apocalypses.

I'm currently working with:
    Destruction: General fiery destruction rains from the heavens, things are just destroyed, low flavor, generic theme.

Fimbulwinter: Ice, cold, sweeping across the countryside.

Time: Temporal rifts, time and space come unwound.

Plague: Disease sweeping the countryside, the Black Death dancing across the land.

Lovecraft: Madness, insanity, beings from beyond the world.

Gotterdammerung: The end of the gods. The failure of their powers, and their fall.

Death: Necromantic power sweeping across the land, life no longer quickening.

Radiation: The big bomb, the nuke.

Any others I should consider?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

28. - Top - End - #1198
    Ettin in the Playground

A personal favorite is the Assimilation.

Like Zombie apocalypse, but wider in scope: any creature that propagates by the victims' 'by-products', such as Kingdom hearts' Heartless. Or extra-propagating vampires.

EDIT: What do you guys think is the necessary class features for a mounted class?
    Last edited by Xhosant; 2014-06-27 at 07:01 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1199
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    So types of apocalypses.

I'm currently working with:
    Destruction: General fiery destruction rains from the heavens, things are just destroyed, low flavor, generic theme.

Fimbulwinter: Ice, cold, sweeping across the countryside.

Time: Temporal rifts, time and space come unwound.

Plague: Disease sweeping the countryside, the Black Death dancing across the land.

Lovecraft: Madness, insanity, beings from beyond the world.

Gotterdammerung: The end of the gods. The failure of their powers, and their fall.

Death: Necromantic power sweeping across the land, life no longer quickening.

Radiation: The big bomb, the nuke.

You forgot:
    Alien Domination (or any evolved natural/artificial terrestrial lifeform)
    World-Eating
    Societal Collapse (which may involve no-nuke all-out wars that ravage the land)

30. - Top - End - #1200
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zaydos View Post
    "The heat death of the universe" is a good one.
    Last edited by Beelzebub1111; 2014-06-27 at 08:00 PM.