New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] The Unexpecteds

----Frandol----
    Moving to stop the halfling, you make what excuses you can but are just a moment to late in your grasp. Spinning the stone the air around you is tinged lightly blue. With your magics suppressed your form returns to normal as the air becomes clear. Shocked by your illusion the clerk recovers quickly enough to hear the latter end of your speech saying, "Gneiss meshes and pulsing auras? Aren't those what those fixers are going on about? The body modding stuff?"

"Don't worry about that lad, he's just messing with you," The dwarf says from behind you with a wry grin, "Why don't you go and get this man the supplies he's asking for from the back? We don't want to look understocked if another customer comes in."

With a nod the halfling clerk heads off through the back as the dwarf comes up to you and pats you in the back saying, "Magical implants huh? Interesting idea for an Illusion cover I'll admit," Moving a bit to the side he leans against the counter and asks, "So who are you running from to warrant hiding in a mages hall?"

---The Caravan---
    Naveris lets out a small sigh and addresses the quartermaster, "You're right, my contract won't allow me to leave these crates here, but as a volunteer I reserved the right to load my caravan. I stopped your men because they were going to dangerously unbalance the wagons. Now with my guards here I need to re-prepare the caravan, is there going to be a problem with my men loading the crates?" She finished with a quizzical expression.

Standing up the man brushes off his pants and says apologetically, "I see that I have overstepped my authority in this matter and I apologize for that. As for my orders, I just have to oversee the loading of the crates. I don't much care who does it provided they load it properly."

"I can see a potential problem with your orders depending on how soon my guardsmen want to leave," Naveris mused aloud before turning to your group and saying, "I can have the wagons reloaded in ten to fifteen minutes, but it'll be slightly unbalanced until we stop for the night. The balance problem won't come up at low enough speeds though. If you want everything rebalanced before we leave I'll need somewhere close to an hour."

Elestil
    Spoiler
    Show
    Listening to the conversation, you try to make sense of various details within the report. The unnatural weather is obviously magical in nature and you know of a few cults that would be bold enough to preform magic rituals right outside a city. But you don't find any of the trademark signs that such cults would leave behind. From your knowledge of the warmer plants along with the slight growth that's described in passing, you find that whatever isn't dangerous is elemental.

Beyond this however your knowledge runs out about how this all comes together. (Edit)You are able to find a path through the forest that avoids much of the magical areas, as well as getting you to your destination sooner.
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-11-16 at 03:48 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.
    Mine started in the wilderness outside of town

2. - Top - End - #152

BlackDragon

Elestil responds to Thurod, "If I'm reading this correctly, I think we can plot a path through the forest that mostly avoids the magical areas. It might be a risk, but it would be faster than taking the caves. Perhaps we need to discuss our route once more..."

After musing for a moment while continuing to scan the reports, he turns back towards Naveris.

"Frandol said he would be delayed a bit longer, so we're not quite ready to leave yet." He looks towards his companions as he continues, "Shall we allow them the hour to load things properly, or ought we to hurry?"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

"I see..." Thurod murmured, "However, it will be dangerous...that being said, the odds of us encountering something we cannot handle between the five of us is almost minescule."

Listening to Elestil's next statement, Thurod looks around at his compatriots, "What do you all think, shall we give them the hour? I feel it might be to our advantage, seeing as we have no way of knowing how long Frandol might be away. Better to err on the side of caution, as it were, in my opinion."
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-11-19 at 09:17 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

4. - Top - End - #154

BlackDragon

Thinking of Issath's current condition, Elestil nods at Thurod's words.

"I have no objection to waiting. Better to begin fully prepared than unduly rushed, I should think."

Still, the goblin is eager to taste adventure. He continues to page through the scouts' report for half a minute, but then he holds it out towards the rest of the group, indicating that someone else may peruse it if they feel so inclined.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

"I'm sort of.... bad at organizing and stuff. I abstain from this vote.

6. - Top - End - #156

Thurod turns to Naveris and the other man, "Seeing as Issath is still indisposed, and Frandol still busy and away from us, we have decided to allow the time to properly load the additional crates, if it will satisfy everyone's requests."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

@Thurod
    Spoiler
    Show
    You hear a fierce roar echoing in the back of your head that creates a constant ring in your skull. The roaring intimidates you, but oddly it is soothing to your mind. With a little focus you hear through the echoing "Hello, My name is Issath... Do you want to play?"
    Larloch, The Shadow King (w/ Ioun Stones) avatar by Iron Penguin

8. - Top - End - #158

Thurod holds his hand up to his ear, curious as to what he was feeling in his skull, but attempting to not show it.

@ Issath

Spoiler
    Show
    "Play...play what, my friend?" Thurod thinks back in confusion.
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-11-24 at 01:35 AM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

@Thurod
    Spoiler
    Show
    "A Game of course!" said Issath's voice growing more and more deep "But with this game you gotta gamble something if you're truly interested in the ultimate prize!". Suddenly the image of a little boy appearing as a younger Issath appears in front of you asking "So are you willing to play? The Game? ALRIGHT! Let's play good guys against bad guys... Yes. Let's play that. Are you ready? You're the bad guy. And when you're bad, you just run. That's fine, right?

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I hated how this little introduction into chaos pretty much spoiled a theme I was going to go with Issath... Ah well

10. - Top - End - #160

Naveris nods when you tell her your decision, "Very well, I'll start loading now then. So don't worry about loading anything yourselves, the other caravan workers will do that. It might be best if you look over which route we'll be taking while the others come back," She said as you left the tent. Outside the other workers look at Naveris when she addresses them, "Okay everyone we have some extra crates to load so we're going to need to re-balance the entire caravan. We only have an hour to do it so get those covers off-"

While she's giving orders, the quartermaster walks up to you, his hands clasped behind his back. Watching the workers load the crates he says to you, "If you're going to ask people about details in that report, then please note that it was given to Naveris in confidence. The kingdom and barony likes to deal with these sort of things without causing undue panic among the populace. If they end up needing help then people having this knowledge will cause more problems then it would help."
    Last edited by Egneil; 2012-11-25 at 01:14 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

11. - Top - End - #161

@ Issath

Spoiler
    Show
    "I can only run?" Thurod asked, his confusion only growing deeper, "And what was that you said about a gamble?"
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ogre in the Playground

@Thurod
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Yeah! You are the bad guy remember? I'll count to 10 to be fair okay..." Issath covers his eyes peaking through the fingers staring at you as the Hands turn into a see through mask taking on the visage of a Dragon...

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    To not spoil the surprise I'll play fair and make it a more reasonable DC to recognize what type of Dragon it is. Since it is a Child (Wyrmling) version of Issath the DC would be... I guess Knowledge (Psionics) DC 18.

... I certainly do hope this isn't stepping on the DM's toes...

13. - Top - End - #163

@Issath

Spoiler
    Show
    Thurod gulped, "Wait!...You still didn't explain that wager comment...it's rude to not explain all the rules of a game, isn't it?" Thurod tried to stall, still confused as to what exactly was going on.
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-11-26 at 07:58 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164

BlackDragon

Elestil responds to the quartermaster, "Of course, good sir. We understand the value of discretion."

He turns toward his companions. "Well then, what thoughts about this new information? Shall we reconsider our course?"

The goblin eyes Thurod curiously. The half-orc seems as if he is in a bit of daze. "Thurod? Thurod?! Is everything alright, my halfling friend?"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

@Thurod
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking his hands away from his face the boy looks at you and says "I'm the Good guy though... Anything I do MUST be fair... right?" the boy places his hands on the side of his hips and looks at you puzzled "I believe you already know what the prize is... You'll find it on this mission that you and 'me' are on... The prize is-" is all you hear as the Mindlink begins to disparate.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    No spoilers on what Issath has planned for you Mr.Brain
    Last edited by Arcanist; 2012-11-26 at 08:19 PM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Thurod shook his head as he became alert to the concious world once more, "Y-yes, Elestil, I am fine. I just was preoccupied with some...thoughts." He mused, "As for reconsidering our course, I believe I would support a change to the route you discovered."
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Suddenly, Grad makes a realization-
    "I just realized I forgot to do something! Ill be right back!
    He says as he rushes off into the distance to find someone selling candy.

18. - Top - End - #168

----Grad----
    Heading back into town it's easy enough to find a sweet shop near the town square. You notice many people staring at you as you approach the shop. With your normal quick glances you are surprised to find that few mothers are holding their children protectively. Instead they merely hold the child's hand a bit tighter, some even greet you relatively politely.

The door frame's size requires you to bend down slightly lower than you are used to. Inside you see that the shop has a variety of soft and hard candies of various flavors.

After a few moments of browsing, you hear a voice from behind you, "Um, hello there. Are you finding what you're looking for?" Looking at the source you see a young woman about fifteen years of age.

19. - Top - End - #169

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Ignoring the reactions that people are having to him, Grad states
    "I'm in a hurry, how much hard candy can I purchase with... 30 gold? I'll take that much.

Before exchanging the money for candy and sprinting back to the caravan.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Frandol hustles back to the caravan tents, with his bag hanging from one arm and, so it doesn't blow off - his hat in the other, looking a bit for the tent Gravious brought Issath to, one tent soon enough seems familiar from an angle.

He speaks to the man standing by the entrance, he seeks to enter, while explaining he's come to pick up a friend, as he speaks he tries to get himself together.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-12-04 at 12:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Jette View Post
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.
    P.Z. - gamer; friend; royalty. 'Tis a pleasure.
    <<Cynthia the Witch by me. she's a nice gal, I promise!

My player Resume, for potential DMs to read over.

My Extended Signature

21. - Top - End - #171

----Grad----
    "Thir- Thirty gold?" The woman said, eyes wide with surprise, "And hard candy... You could get about three bags for that much, but if you want some more exotic candies you could only get one bag."

OoC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to point out that candy prices would only be a few silver. So the three bags at thirty gold would come out of the best batches first.

----Frandol----
    The guards around the caravan lift their weapons when they notice who you are. Inside you see the other caravan workers unloading bits of the carts so they can load a few other crates into them. Remembering that Gravious said that the tent was near the stables, you head through the structured chaos to find him.

It didn't take you long to find. Approaching it you notice Gravious sitting outside of it gnawing on a bit of jerky. Seeing you he sets aside the food and waves you over, "Glad to see you," He said when you entered earshot, "Issath's inside the tent right there. I don't want to crowd him in case he wakes up."

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

"wonderful, he is safe, I hope. Thank you." Frandol continues to the tent he was directed to, when he finds Issath resting(?) he approaches him and gently shakes the young soul's shoulders.
    "Can ye wake up, boy?"Frandol whispers, while not spotable from any distance, his breath of aged barley and morning-meat might usettle the noses of those too close, "You were out like an Elf-gulping-down-Brängk, but now it's time to wake.".
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-12-04 at 02:42 PM.
    If you write gibberish in common, even comprehend languages won't turn it into a sonnet.

My Extended Signature

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

Issath peers up and looks at Frandol staring at his body "Umm... Howdy... So... I fall asleep at the bar and wake up here in the tent with you..." Issath feels for his clothes on him and returns his gaze at Frandol "Oh neat, I still have my clothes on! he shouted as he creates a massive grin on his face and leaps out the tent. "ALRIGHT! I've had my nap! What is on the menu today Mr. Frandol?" he said while staring into the tent to see his Dwarven friend with his classic big old goofy smile.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    BAM! Issath is back in action!

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

Frandol quickly seats Issath back down.Settle down, lad—you'll know everything in due time, right now the others await our return to leave, but first eat this bread, how are ye feelin', boy? Can ye see me well? thinking straight? Belly and head not achin'? Vows in tact?" laughing a bit, Frandol inquires Issath one question at a time as he rips a piece of bread, then he drips some medicine into the bread's crumb, leaving the crust hard with moist darkened bread filling, he hands it to Issath. AlmostSeemingly not listening he continues:
    "This might not taste so fine, but ye'll sober-up soon, that mead really did some work on ye, don't you know?"

Edit(cont): eating the medicine-dampened bread betrays an off, strong bitter taste in addition to the taste of baked dough, and very mildly sugared, bitter-sweet sensation soon afterwards that remains after swallowing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    anything you'd like to add, Mr.DM?
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-12-04 at 03:26 PM.

My Extended Signature

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

"Silly Frandol! Don't you know that that after a good old nap, everyone is invincible?" Shouted Issath as he jumps around full of energy "You know, I think everyone should be as lucky as me to be able to take a nap in the middle of the day without repercussions!" he mumbles as he bites into the bread, still talking he comments "Yeah, this bread taste terrible... No clue why I'm still eating it, but I just can't stop..."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    For the sake of my protection, I still have Detect Hostile Intent up... Not saying I don't trust you Zahn, just curious if anyone was trying to kill my in my sleep

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

"Invincible? After just a nap?" Frandol raises his eyebrow, a bit confused at what he had just heard and seen, he expected a bit less excitement on Issath's part, considering what the Derlaynna Mead has done to him. He laughs a bit. I don't know where you're from, but I wish me own illusions were as grand as your delusions."
    Watching Issath eat the bread, Frandol adds:
    "Ye must be hungered to devour that wicked medicine so quickly, have some of my Meat, too, why didn't you order something back at the tavern?Frandol hands Issath a nicely-sized piece of dried cattle meat from his pack, it is salty and a bit overcooked, a bit chewy in texture.
    OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Worry not, my chums, if that was poison, Issath would have made a saving throw roll by now.
    Last edited by Prince Zahn; 2012-12-05 at 04:39 PM.

My Extended Signature

27. - Top - End - #177

---The Caravan---

After Issath finishes the bread you barely hear Naveris's voice cut through the wintery air. Appearing at the entrance Gravious smiles at Issath and says, "Looks like my break here is done. Naveris needs my help reorganizing the caravan. I think your friends will want to leave when it's finished. So you should probably talk with them before then. Kay?" With a wave he turns and heads back to the wagons.

----Grad----
    With your answer and gold in hand, the young woman scoops various candies into small burlap bags. Handing them to you she says, "Thank you for shopping, and may your path bring you fortune."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll be ending Grad's segment here as it'll take him a bit to rejoin the caravan. I'll pick him back up at the caravan during my next post; unless he posts to go to another location.

28. - Top - End - #178

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ScrambledBrains View Post
    Thurod shook his head as he became alert to the concious world once more, "Y-yes, Elestil, I am fine. I just was preoccupied with some...thoughts." He mused, "As for reconsidering our course, I believe I would support a change to the route you discovered."
    Elestil nods slightly as he considers his friend's words. "Very well. When our crew has reassembled, we shall see if they concur. And until such time..." He trails off, and pulls out a small, thin flute that appears to be carved out of bone. As he begins to play, a hat lies upside-down a few feet in front of him. It is not clear how long the hat has been there.

He plays a slow and lyrical tune with a mournful feel. The phrases incrementally grow louder, with more moving notes, before settling into softer, longer tones at each cadence. The flute's tone is round and mellow, though it brightens into an almost shrill quality at the tune's most intense moments. But always it recedes into a soft, mellow, and sorrowful cadence.

Spoiler
    Show
    He's playing more to pass the time than for need of coin, but hey, might as well put out the hat, right?
    Perform (wind instruments): (1d20+7)[25]
    Last edited by Newcomer; 2012-12-06 at 05:29 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

"Yes! After just a single nap! You should have a nap... not right now of course, because if you had a nap, I would want a nap, but since I just had a nap, me having two naps would be unfair so you can't have a nap..." replied Issath at almost lightning speed. He raises his eyebrow in response to you raising your eyebrow and giggles a little as you finish your sentence "Heh, I come from a wonderful place where the air is clean and fresh, nobody has to work unless they want too and everyone can be whoever they want to be if they want to be that person... OH! AND YOU LIVE FOREVER! ... If you want to that is... Oh and btw... This Medicine isn't really THAT bad... It's just a little bitter... Do you have anything sweet?" noticing you pull out the cattle meat Issath pushes it away stating "I'm a vegetarian and I hope that the thing that kills me also follows the same philosophy... It's not that I don't like meat, it's just I find the idea of killing a creature simple because YOU want to live is a little silly... Especially considering that you can survive off of the energy of the world around you."

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    I was joking about the poison thing my friend

30. - Top - End - #180

Thurod began to smile as he listened to his Goblin friend play, before his expression changed to one of exhasperation as he reached a hand up his sleeve, pulling out a small weasel, "You are such a pain in the neck, Ko." He said playfully to the creature, which chattered back at him a moment. "I am not being a stick in the mud, but you know like I do, cities don't like wild creatures. Just because you love the music is no reason to risk me getting kicked out." Ko chattered again, "Apology accepted, just be patient, ok?"

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    (OOC)Expect to see a lot of Ko. (/OOC)
    Last edited by ScrambledBrains; 2012-12-07 at 11:40 PM.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show