New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 2 (IC)

As Dantie is leaving for the duke
    I am going to wait here for Silas to finish his class, after i retrieve the book from his loft, where would you like me to meet you?

After Dantie leaves, Xander turns to Silas.
    Do you mind if i sit in on the remainder of this mornings classes, it would be rather nostalgic. Xander pauses a moment. How familiar would you say you are with dryads?
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You walk into the alley and don Bishop's hat. You recall a family, The Miro's. A wealthy family from Justcrown, distantly related to the Pottsdorff's. They have a daughter, Rafaella. As beautiful as she is bratty and spoiled. Rarely one to walk the streets, preferring to travel abroad with her retinue of lesser nobles, Rafaella is known for her rare but brutal shopping sprees in the city, as well as for throwing quite a temper when daddy doesn't give her what she wants - let alone a merchant. As for the jeweler, Guzym of Guzym's Faceted Emporium is the place to go. The gnome jeweler has had the business for awhile and if anyone deals with trinkets of the sort, it is Guzym.

You walk into his store and notice the heavy decor: statues and paintings hang all over the place. Silks from distant lands are used as tapestries on the walls. The gnome hears the chime from the bells on top of the door and looks up and sees you.

Garl, slay me now... "Good morning, lady Rafaella! How may I be of service?"

@Xander: "I'm very sorry, old friend. That was the last anklet I had. I have sent Carl to fetch you the book from the house. It may not be much, but you may learn a thing or two about the fey forest.", Silas states.

@Dantie: You reach the palazzo. Masons are already working on the destroyed wall. A garrison of soldiers have been stacked lining the perimeter. The duke's page greets you at the door.

"Good morning, father Silva. The duke wishes to express his eternal gratitude to you, Master Spellbane, Master Corillian, and Master John. He regerts he is unable to see you now on account of..stress. However, he did instruct me to hand you these as a reward. I trust you will be seeing the other masters?"

The page hands you four heavy pouches. Each has one of your names on it. You open yours after the page leaves and peek into the duke's generosity.

Spoiler
    Show
    2000 gp

@Bishop: You are in the northern gate of town and have begun working hard on your own forest palazzo in the woods. The tree shakes as you pummel the nails made of wood into the wooden structure. Splinters fly as you chop the lumber and mold it into a roof, walls, and a ceiling. A group of lumberjacks are taking their break and watch you from below.

"Hey! You there! Wanna make some coin?"

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: "Of course! You know you are most welcome. In fact, upon your return from the fey woods. It would be prudent to start the paperwork for legal partnership. Silas' and Xander's School of Sorcery! You know, now it will actually make sense to call it that!"

Silas ponders for a few moments.

"Dryads... enigmatic creatures, yes. I heard there is a strong community of them in the woods. I'm sure you know as much about them as me. They are ancient fey. They have some innate abilities, many of which mirror ours, yet for all that power, they are tied to a specific spot- a tree, to be exact. Should the dryad ever leave a certain distance from their hallowed tree, or should the tree be destroyed, the dryad's life would end...grim, yes, but why do you ask?"

Carl, one of Sila' pupils enters the school with a book in hand.

"F...F..Found it, sir! The house is properly locked, sir!"

Carl hands you an old, copper colored book.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Fey Woods
    Of Its Wonders and Waylays

by Lestine C. Rarne

The woods south of Justcrown hide many marvels to the mortal eye. Even to the elves, who profess lifespans beyond that of a human, the fey thickets abound with a bounty untapped by civilization. Springs said to have been blessed by Ehlonna herself, with powers of healing. Groves , where the ancient fey frolick and discuss the events season by season, since the conception of the land itself. Truly, Justcrown is blissfuly unaware of the bounty that lies south of its iron gates.

And a good thing too. For as rich as the forest is, the inhabitants are first and foremost dedicated to its preservation from prying eyes and hands alike. To invoke the wrath of the sylvan deities is said to invite disaster upon oneself. Tales speak of mighty guardians in the deeper realms of the forest. Mighty giants of bark and leaf, who shepherd the woods. Fey covens who guard the outer realms with untamed ferocity. Truly, a treasure chest best left locked and buried.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-09 at 02:07 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

As the page delivers the bags to him Dantie bows his head. Thank you, please take this for your troubles. With that Dantie reaches into the bag and pulls out 1 gold piece, handing it to the page. Do you happen to know where I can find Sir Lucian? It is most urgent and I was under the impression he had stayed here last night with the duke. And if he is here can you let him know that I am here and waiting for him. Dantie then once again reaches into the bag and says Their is another gold piece for you if you can do this.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+21)[36] Diplomacy check, though I'm sure their are more secret bonuses that I can not know about.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As the disguised Tarith enters the jewelers, he/she looks around at the displays, seeing what is there.

Spoiler
    Show

Thought about having Tarith pretend think that the gnome is a human child, but decided that would be a bad idea.

Talking in a very whiny tone of voice, certain to make any shopkeeper... aggravated...

"Daddy is being mean, and cutting off my spending money. Why, all my friends are taking a trip, but Daddy intends on stopping my by taking away my money. I need 150 platinum, so I will sell these. The stones always were ugly anyway."

As he/she is talking, Tarith places 2 rubies on the counter.

Spoiler
    Show

Figuring that the gnome will need to appraise them, and hoping to see that the diamonds needed are on display. If not, have a plan b.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

6. - Top - End - #36

Bishop finishes up building his tree house, jumps to the ground, then turns around to see who was talking to him. "Sure, what are you looking to hire me for?"

Bishop brakes off 8 branches that are around 4 ft. in length, and puts them into his backpack to carve into things at a later time.
    Last edited by Allyzedl; 2012-10-09 at 09:29 AM.
    Intelligent doors FTW

7. - Top - End - #37

RedWizardGuy

After briefly browsing the book, Xander responds to Silas.
    I met a very interesting one this morning before we left the tavern, seeing one outside of a forest is strange enough, but this one appeared in perfect health, in the center of a city, well away from its tree. Dantie had spoken of the same one possibly appearing before there dwarven friend, witch would mean this being is capable of traveling great distances freely. She mentioned being banished, and wears a wooden mask covered in runes witch I suspect must keep some sort of connection to her tree else she would surly have withered and died.

What subject are you currently covering with your students today?
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-10-09 at 09:05 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: "Sir Lucian is inside, father. He is finishing his daily training and will be here any minute."

Lucian indeed comes in from the left wing of the palazzo wearing a regular breastplate and a wooden shield strapped to his back. His flail has been replaced by a longsword.

"Dantie, good morning. I am sorry to have kept you waiting. Shall we?"

@Bishop: The lumberjacks are quite impressed with your feats of strength.

"We cut the woods round here to supply lumber for the city." Explains the lumberjack. "However, the trees around here aren't as durable, when it comes to the lumber quality. We have heard that the forest south of town has very old and solid trees there. Our employer has forbidden entrance into that area, and we are thankful for that, but if you could go in there and chop a tree and bring us the lumber, maybe we can get permission from him to go in and work on that lumber, which would net us a very good profit. Of course, you would get a good pay out of it as well. All we need is a strong hand to go in there and chop down a tree and bring us the lumber. Simple, right?"

@Xander: "I was thinking about the Nerine fight last night. I was able to hit her with a simple evocation spell a few times, but the more advanced ones didn't faze her at all. Similarly, Lucian attempted one of his spells and it failed to hit her. I'm teaching my students spells that can hinder the opponent immediately, without a chance to resist. It may not kill the opponent downright, but it could incapacitate it enough to give the caster a sporting chance."

@Tarith: You place the jewels in front of Guzym. The jeweler takes out his magnifying glass and inspects them.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise: I assume you placed the 2 rubies for him to appraise. (1d20+12)[22]

"Each one should net you about 500 pieces of gold, my lady. For a grand total of 1000."
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-09 at 01:36 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39

GreenSorcererElf

At this, Tarith stamps his/her foot, and appears angry.
    "But Daddy said that they are worth 75 platinum each! "
    He/She then points out a couple of the more expensive looking diamonds
    "Those look interesting. I want a closer look at them, to ensure that they would go with my gown"

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff(1d20+20)[32]
    assuming the diamonds should be worth at least 5k
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-09 at 01:42 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Guzym starts sweating. He wants to run a clean business, not have some brat come in shouting. He tries to calm you down placing his hands in the air gesturing you to relax. Then he listens to your claims regarding your father.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+10)[13]

"Fine, Miss Rafaella, fine! I had no idea your father was in the jewelry business. I will gladly take these two rubies at the price you want, but I can assure you. In all my years in this craft, I have never paid this amount for rubies. This almost seems like a steal."

He then looks at the diamonds set behind him.

"Those? They came a few weeks ago. They would fit your gown very well, and the price isn't that bad, either. A mere 1000 pieces each.
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-10-09 at 01:53 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie thanks the page and hands him a gp. Once Lucian comes out Dantie smiles to the soldier and says, It is no trouble. I am truthfully now just waiting for my friends to be finished with the work they are doing so if you want we can go now. Or we could go and collect a few of them? Whichever you prefer. Dantie says as he begins walking towards the main gate, but keeping close enough to silias shop so that he can drop of Xanders cut off the pay.

12. - Top - End - #42

GreenSorcererElf

Spoiler
    Show

Bluff(1d20+20)[38]
    Hopefully, the shopkeeper will attempt to placate her with some diamonds...
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #43

"That sounds reasonable, however I require some form of payment ahead of time, before putting myself in a dangerous situation."
    Intelligent doors FTW

14. - Top - End - #44

RedWizardGuy

I myself ran into many problems having my magic effect Varien. If I were in a situation where I did not have both Tarith and Danite present I truly would have been in a bind. Having a few spells capable of reliably effecting a opponent with out having to worry they may resit would would truly be most beneficial, ensuring your students have a firm grasp on such spells is sure to be a wise move.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: The lumberjack frowns. "Well, that is the problem. We only work for our employer. We don't handle the coin. This was an idea I had presented awhile back, since those woods are untouched, the trees must provide good lumber. I'll talk to him and see if something can be arranged."

@Dantie: "By all means, Dantie. Let us go and see if we can raise my brother. It will be hard for him to understand, but if he is brought back, I will make sure he is tried lawfully for this transgression. We can see some of your acquaintances before, if you like."

@Xander: Silas strats working on Tarith's dagger. "I wish we knew what Varian was up to. You mentioned the body was destroyed? Pity. If there were a way to make his corpse speak. Granted, this would have to be done in secrecy. I doubt Mathilda and Wilhelm would approve."

@Tarith: Guzym hands you the money for the rubies and glances at the diamonds behind him.

"So, my lady? Do you want them or not?"

16. - Top - End - #46

"I'll wait here til you come back." While waiting for the lumberjack Bishop continues to improve upon his tree house, until it is perfect and sturdy, as Bishop isn't the most balanced person.
    Intelligent doors FTW

17. - Top - End - #47

GreenSorcererElf

"I would like to look at them. They look like they would go very well with my dress, but I can't be sure until I get a better look at them. Please?"

As the phrase Please, Tarith puts on puppy dog eyes, practically begging the chance to get a closer look at the gems...
    He/She pockets the money.

Spoiler
    Show

(in case anyone is wondering at the change of pace, she is now attempting to persuade the gnome, rather than making demands...)
    bluff(1d20+20)[31]
    so, 1500 or 1000 gold for the two rubies?
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-09 at 02:40 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Both rubies go for 1500 each

Guzym rolls his eyes. "Of course, lady Rafaella. Here you go. Check the fine quality. Mined from deep Khedesh. None will ever know the true value, thinking they are worth many thousands worth its price."

@Bishop: You jump back in the tree and resume your carpentry. A few minutes go by and the lumberjack returns, hailing you from below.

"Hey! Spoke to the chief! he says he can't lose coin like that unless he gets a sample from that forest! Sorry to have wasted your time. Nice house, by the way!"

19. - Top - End - #49

Bishop, passing the time decides that he probably needs some furniture. So, he goes to another tree and gathers some more branches. Then begins to create furniture, a table, 4 chairs, a bed-frame, and some cabinets. He then takes puts them into his bag of holding, jumps back up to his house, puts the table, chairs, and cabinets in one room, then the bed-frame in the other.

Spoiler
    Show

The house has 2 rooms :)
    Intelligent doors FTW

20. - Top - End - #50

GreenSorcererElf

"Ooh, they are even nicer than I thought. A fine accompaniment to my planned outfit. How much do you want for them? I assure you, my father will pay for them."

Tarith holds up the gems, smiling, as he/she lets the sunlight shine through them. she/he then puts them on(assuming they are in some sort of setting), and looks in a mirror, posing. As she walks back to the counter, she pulls out an inkpen and a sheet of paper, and starts writing.

To the holder of this note, the gnome jeweler, the house of Miro owes _____ gold.
    Signed, Rafaella Miro, and ______
    "Would you like to fill in the blanks?"

Spoiler
    Show

Not sure if this will work, but forgery(1d20+1)[19](writing in a feminine hand) I don't think there should be any modifications to the counter forger check.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-10-09 at 02:56 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #51

RedWizardGuy

I have asked myself the same thing multiple times since last night. Yes the body was mostly destroyed, Dantie burned it down to mostly a skeleton. Xander opens his sack, allowing Silas a chance to see the body. Dantie being affiliated with the church of Pelor I suspect he would disapprove and be unwilling to help as well. Do you know of any clerics that are unaffiliated with either church that may be willing to assist us?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "I will fill these forms out for you, lady Rafaella. The payment will be delivered to Sir Miro later tonight. Enjoy."

@Xander: Silas looks up from the dagger he's working on. "Sadly, no. None of the churches here would condone this. However, Lucian is a hextorite. He might be convinced to perform the spell."

23. - Top - End - #53

RedWizardGuy

Ah yes, how could i forget Lucian, seeing as it may give him answers regarding last night as well it would defiantly be worth speaking with him, would you mind if we cast the spell at the school, after hours of course.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #54

Bishop then begins to make objects out of the raw branches in his bandolier. First he makes a wooden scythe out of the long curved branch, then he makes two wooden hammers, and with the last branch he makes a cane.

After he is done making them, he kicks back and enjoys a few tankards of ale, reveling in his accomplishments today. With his feet up on the table, while sitting on the chair, he pushes a little too hard and falls back, breaking a leg off the chair.

The drunken Bishop then takes out a knife from his artisan tools and carves inscriptions into his newly crafted objects. He carves the Elven word "Ama-tas" into the blade part of his scythe. Then carves the word "Left" on the handle of one of the hammers, and the word "Right" on the handle of the other.
    Intelligent doors FTW

25. - Top - End - #55

RedWizardGuy

As Xander and Silas are speaking, Xander puts aside the scroll he has been looking over for a moment, and pulls out the book he received from Silas.
    I should take this time to give this book a more in depth look through, before a situation occurs in witch the knowledge would be useful.

The Fey Woods by Lestine C. Rarne: ”Springs said to have been blessed by Ehlonna herself, with powers of healing.” – While in the woods I should keep an eye out for such springs. I wonder if the healing magic will work outside of the woods. I should bottle some samples for further study.

“Tales speak of mighty guardians in the deeper realms of the forest.” -I wonder if Lestine had any knowledge of the guardians we are entering the woods in search of. “Mighty giants of bark and leaf, who shepherd the woods.” –Could there be treants in the woods? If so why did she not warn us of such? Or could it be something else?

After writing down his notes Xander looks up to Silas.
    Would you happen to have a few empty vials i might be able to take with me? Seeing as few expeditions into the woods take place, I feel i should be prepared to take samples of some of the materials I may encounter in order to study them more in depth later on.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bishop did you notice the post in OOC about the efficient quiver? could be a way to carry raw materials for when your current weapons break, and i still think a quiver of sticks that you carve into a variety of things would be interesting.

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #56

GreenSorcererElf

"Good. We will be expecting your request for payment later tonight."

Tarith flounces out of the store, and once out of sight, enters an alley, and ends his disguise. He starts heading towards the clothier that he encountered yesterday.

Glad that is over. I hate disguises, although they are effective. Now to sell the rest of the goods.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

@Bishop: You carve out the names for your weapons with your knife and kick back, before falling to the side. You stand up and take another tankard's worth of ale and admire the view: Truly the work of a master carpenter. The window provides a nice view of the main gate and the top of the buildings. Then, something catches your eye.

It comes from the direction of the Champion's camp. Normally, it would go unnoticed, but you are on top of a tree, giving you a slight advantage. It's a quick flash of light. It goes on, then off.

@Xander: "Of course, Xander. Take a few vials. Let us hope they can aid you on your research. I will inquire with Lucian regarding the spell. Naturally, it would have to be done here, at night, and ideally without the clergy present- that would include Dantie. I doubt Tarith would mind. Oh! come with me to the classroom proper. I wish to make an announcement."

Silas goes with you to the main classroom, where a group of young mages are assembled practice their craft. Silas claps twice to draw their attention.

"Young mages! I wish you to meet my dear colleague Xander Corillian! He will be co-teaching at the school in the fine arts of Conjuration for those willing to follow that path of the arcane. Master Xander will also be teaching an advanced course into the mystical arts of the wizard and the sorcerer - and how to best combine both. These classes will be available soon, since Master Corillian will be taking a journey. Rest assured, that these lessons will begin promptly, depending on how you score on your final exams."

The young mages look at you with much interest.

28. - Top - End - #58

Bishop takes an interest in the shiny light, he runs then jumps out of the window without regard for safety. He then proceeds to look for the place where the flashing light came from.
    Intelligent doors FTW

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

With Lucians consent Dantie begins his way back to Silias's shop. Once their he walks in and looks for Xander. Xander thank Pelor I found you. You said you enjoy learning new things right? Well I am going to raise Sir Lucians brother, saying you helped us last night it is only fair that I offer the invitation to you. Dantie says as he then proceeds to rummage around his belt looking at the sacks on his belt, when he finds the one marked with Xanders name he hands it to the mage. And this is from the Duke for your work last night. Silias please let Tarith know to go to the front gate when he returns, it is where we shall be waiting. and with that Dantie looks to the two men with him. Shall we be off now? Once they are both ready he begins heading towards the front gate.

30. - Top - End - #60

GreenSorcererElf

When he reaches the clothier, Tarith heads inside, and pulls out Nerine's clothing.

"I would be interested in selling these clothes. I need the money to pay for the death of one of my friends, Cecile, the former owner of the clothes. She always wanted a fancy funeral in the woods, and I intend on giving her that. How much are you willing to give me?"

Tarith looks rather sad, but determined as he speaks. He seems almost on the edge of crying, but is bravely preventing himself from doing so.

Spoiler
    Show

bluff(1d20+20)[25]
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss