New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Battle for the Five Nations

Ajani joins the others on their march. The cleric would rather have been walking along side those he was assigned to protect but they told him to lay off for a while. Something about him watching them when they sleep has put them at unease. After grumbling to himself for a moment, Ajani notices Kera below him.

"Oh? That was no problem at all hun. I don't see why it would be unusual. Being complimented for more than your gift would be easy in your case. If not for your gift than for your knowledge or medicine. For the more superficial among us, for your beauty." Ajani notices he's been walking with frustrated crossed arms again and immediately take his bow in hand to walk normally again.

"Those animals up ahead may not be the most pleasant lot to associate with but at least they seem very good at keeping their wits about them. It would be wise for you to do so yourself as we cross. Losing a healer is one of the greatest tragedies in war."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin yawns emphatically and follows in the march, having bought nothing at the stop. He steered clear of the Clerics, not out of any particular dislike, but he feared their conversation would inevitably turn to religion. Tuller had always found matters of the gods uninteresting, except perhaps for a small fascination with Khyber, in no small part due to his mark.

In search of conversation, he sidles up to Dallun. "You're of House Cannith, aren't you? You must know a thing or two about these Warforged, surely?"

"Interesting things, aren't they? You don't really see their like in Karrnath. Just Undead there. They're easy to make. That's just a golem, with some macabre materials. Warforged though.. they seem to think. Hell of a thing to be able to do. "

3. - Top - End - #63

"Notice how the warforged began using the names they were given on the train. Merrix managed to make them think, but it's interacting with other sentient races that is making them people. Which, in the end, is the real difference between them and some more traditional golem."
    Responds Dallun, happy to have someone to discuss one of the facets of artifice with, even if not the technical points.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin looks thoughtful. "I see. Interesting. Still, there is something to be said for making them think. Without it, they wouldn't be able to become people at all. After all, you can interact with a skeleton or one of the dumber forms of golem all you like, it'll still rip your head off if it's ordered to."

Edwin pauses for a moment. "Actually, that's not wholly true. Back in Karrnath, there were some people who just... understood the undead. Near as could tell, the things were still mindless, but it was like that wasn't true for them. I wonder if it's something like the same thing."
    Last edited by Imperial Psycho; 2012-10-16 at 01:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

Scouting ahead Raja sees signs of a lot of travel along this route. It seems that soldiers and cavalry have followed the conductor stones before, probably looking for people on the other side doing exactly what you are doing now. One curiosity about the conductor stones is the complete absence of any kind on animal life or tracks near them, there isn't even so much as a snail trail within 10 feet of them.

After half an hour of walking you begin to notice deliberate signs laid out, twigs arranged to point away from the conductor stones and into the trees, stones that for an experienced woods man or woman are piled to show danger ahead. Your tribe have already started scouting the tree line and report back that there are several trails suitable for your group.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera thinks on Ajani's words for a moment, then replies; "I-I'm not so worried about m-me; th-tough I appreciate the concern. I t-try not to make myself a target."

Kera's face takes on a concerned look before she continues. "I am... troubled b-by the tension b-between you and Raja. I-I know she is... difficult, b-but we're g-going to be relying on each other out there; and her sh-shifters seem n-nice enough. I d-don't mean to be a nuissance b-but... I just think w-we ought to all t-try to get along. O-otherwise I expect it may go poorly when w-we're in dire straits."

Kera shrugs slightly. "I-It's just a thought a-anyway."
    Last edited by mistformsquirrl; 2012-10-18 at 04:15 AM.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

7. - Top - End - #67

"I don't think it's the same. Sure, neither gets tried, but do the undead actually grow and develop as people, or can they just think better?" Responds Dallun, knowing the complexity of warforged minds.
    "That said, there are a few big questions about the warforged I expect will come up when the war ends. And that is when things really get interesting."

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, the difference between LA +0 and LA -. Also between Cha 8 and Cha 1.
    Also, @ morbis. Dallun will produce magic items for the group at 75% market price. I think that puts the +2 Periphat of Wisdom back within reach. (Note, there is a small chance of failure, but between my good UMD bonus, the 5 tries allowed, and action points, the chance is really, really, small.)

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

Raja quickly gives orders to scout the trail ahead to her group then proceeds to go back to the main body to give a report of her findings. She approaches the group with a smirk "Just thought I let you know something is amiss up ahead on the main route. I am having my people look into a secondary route through the brush to determine if it is a valid option. I suggest you take this time to rest while we look into it, unless you prefer going ahead and walking right into certain danger."
    Blarg...

9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gerilow walks up joins Edwin and Dallun. "What's so interesting about that?" He asks Dallun. "Some of the warforged will be used in military business. You know, ah, patrols and guard duty and such. The rest will just be put in storage like any other weapon of war. Put in the armories with the armor and catapults and everything else we..."

Gerilow closes his mouth as Raja makes her warning to the group. "Well, that figures. Not like crossing the border with a country you're at war with would be easy, eh?"

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by mistformsquirrl View Post
    Kera thinks on Ajani's words for a moment, then replies; "I-I'm not so worried about m-me; th-tough I appreciate the concern. I t-try not to make myself a target."

Kera's face takes on a concerned look before she continues. "I am... troubled b-by the tension b-between you and Raja. I-I know she is... difficult, b-but we're g-going to be relying on each other out there; and her sh-shifters seem n-nice enough. I d-don't mean to be a nuissance b-but... I just think w-we ought to all t-try to get along. O-otherwise I expect it may go poorly when w-we're in dire straits."

Kera shrugs slightly. "I-It's just a thought a-anyway."
    Ajani scoffs when Raja is mentioned. "It is of the greatest importance that everyone within our group cares for one another. My mission is to do just that. I've had to deal with the most selfish men in the past but they at least acknowledged that we needed each other to maintain our duty. That shifter though...I can not trust her. Mercenaries may only be loyal to money but at least the side I'm on is paying them. Deserters may be cowards but they fear consequence more than others and I have found ways to make them realize the danger of their actions. Raja? Her loyalty is only to her own kind. The dirt between her toes is more important to her than other people. If something doesn't concern her fellow animals then she will do nothing about it.

Ajani takes a moment to shake his head and reorient himself
    "I can't spend time caring for someone who cares nothing for anyone else. Her selfish actions will get others hurt. I can't take that risk of using resources to aid her. I would never forgive myself if harm came to the more virtuous because of it."

11. - Top - End - #71

"One part of warforged training is when they are disabled. They never sleep. Loss of consciousness is terrifying to them. The main reason my assistants are happy to work with me is because they know I'd repair them if they need it." Responds Dallun, "Now, imagine telling a Army of Human soldiers they were going to be killed, and then maybe resurrected at some point in the future. Would them accept happily? Would they resist?"

12. - Top - End - #72

"Huh? What are you talking about. They aren't human, they're... umm... constructs that were built for war. It's not like killing them more like... unstringing a bow, right? You'd just have to wave a wand at them or something, I sure."

13. - Top - End - #73

Raja stands before the humans and shakes her head "You people talk too much, on second thought I am going up trail to scout with my people, it at least is a valuable job. Oh and Rusty, there are no dangers ahead for you, you can waltz right down the path, but you should take off all your armour first because...magnets. Anyhow, enough wasting time, we have work to do. Oh and I will continue being selfish over there you know possibly saving the lives of everyone here while you continue babble, you thick headed biggot."
    Blarg...

14. - Top - End - #74

Through gritted teeth Ajani mumbles to himself. "Saving the lives of everyone here? Tsh. You wouldn't give a **** if your people weren't here. We're just caught in the crossfire of you helping them."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera sighs and shakes her head, but says nothing.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Edwin is taken aback at the suggestion that the warforged can just be turned off. "You can't just 'turn off' something that thinks. I would be like, as Dallun says, taking an army of men, and stabbing them when you're done with them. "

As Ajani speaks, Edwin glares at him, but holds his tongue, hoping that Raja will have the sense to do the same.

17. - Top - End - #77

"Will I have to do the pink hair thing again? I don't need you to get along perfectly, but could you at least try to act nicely to each other?" Responds Dallun, hoping they will behave even a little bit.

18. - Top - End - #78

Ajani looks around a moment before thinking to himself Is there anyone here not listening to my conversations?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

Another hour down the track and you've entered the Greenhaunt and can no longer see anything but trees. It is an ancient forest, not much harmed by the war. Loggers have remained clear for the most part though here and there clumps of tall oak trees have been cut down, no doubt for siege engines. The path itself forces you into single file so many times that you eventually just remain that way rather than spread out again. The shifter scouts criss cross the path and report in regularly, giving you warning about which fork to take or when you have to double back because of an obstruction or dead end.

Lieutenant Osprey complains more than once that he thinks the shifters have gotten them lost though those of you with wilderness skills note that you're heading more or less in a steady north westerly direction. Going is slow but safe. Raja'Umal Almach can be seen occasionally flitting through dense undergrowth far ahead of you, apparently immune to the thorns and brambles that tug at your cloaks even on the path ways.

After travelling for about three hours in total you estimate that you've covered around five or six miles through the woods and are not too far from the edge. A shifter calls to Raja, the sound of a bird native to the Eldeen Reeches, to warn and ask for help. She stalks up to him as he perches on a low branch above the path. Hanging in front of him is a body, a beaten breastplate tied with vines to a tree is all that holds it together. empty eye sockets stare out from a half helm and its tattered uniform shows that it was a member of the Thrane holy army. Scratched into the breastplate are the words:

KEEP YOUR
    WAR OUT
    OF MY WOODS

The edges are showing rust otherwise you might have missed the words.

It is impossible to tell how he died as the body is badly decomposed. Its legs are completely gone, no doubt scavenged by some animal. Maggots infest the rest of it. There is a cloud of flies around the remains that further indicates that it has hung here for weeks. Something shiny is wedged in its mouth, holding the head upright, or perhaps stopping it from falling off altogether.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-10-19 at 10:09 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Kera grimaces at the sight. "H-how horrible..."
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81

Gerilow frowns as he looks at the grisly warning. "Think whoever left this warning is still around? Looks rather old..." he says at last. "I'd say we should take a head count of the shifters, but as, um, protective as Ra is of her clan, I'm sure she has it already in hand. If our scouts missed seeing this... well I think we'd need to doubt our scout!" Gerilow smiles and chuckles at his rhyme, before clearing his throat and trying to look series again.

"Better tighten up our own ranks just to be sure, eh? Don't want any suprises, right? Don't suppose anyone in this group has sharp eyes for traps and what not?
    Last edited by Mantid; 2012-10-20 at 05:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #82

"I might be able to handle the traps. Been a while since I needed to worry about them though." Replies Dallun.

Spoiler
    Show
    Have class ability that is trapfinding with a different name, and +11 search.
    That said, trapfinding is one of those things where the DM should roll, so the players can't tell if they rolled low or high.
    Last edited by jojolagger; 2012-10-20 at 06:11 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

"Their woods? Spirits aren't usually this crude. Does a hermit reside here? A Druid perhaps?"

Spoiler
    Show
    knowledge Religion: (1d20+7)[8]

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Dallun spends a few moments examining the grisly remains but can find no sign of magical or mundane traps on it or in the surrounding area. He does notice some tracks in the muck around the roots of the tree, though he is unable to tell anything more about them than that they are tracks. There are also several deep vertical scratches in the bark of the tree itself.

Ajani tries to recall any information about druid cults operating in the area but beyond the fact that these cults exist he cannot remember anything specific.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Kera will try her Cloistered Cleric Lore check to determine who or what could have done this: (1d20+6)[22]
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #86

Raja was growing annoyed at the others lagging behind, the sign was a clear indicator that they shouldn't sit about and ponder. She orders her scouts ahead and doubles back to the others "Care to keep moving or were you hoping for a private audience with whatever contructed that message, hmmm? If not then keep marching we're almost to our destination." She gives a quick look at the scratches and track and attempts to discern their origin before moving back ahead.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Nature (1d20+9)[29]
    Survival (1d20+10)[29]
    Blarg...

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

Kera and Raja investigate the area and the scratches. It looks like some kind of clawed lizard or bird made the scratches, from the angle it was almost certainly a flying creature climbing for height, a large bat perhaps. The tracks on the ground are the same but there are also large but shallow bare foot print, probably a halfling. While any number of creatures are capable of this it seems most likely that one of the druidic cults is responsible. Protecting woods it what they are famous for though you've no idea what is special about this forest.

As Raja moves ahead she finds other, similar warnings spaced at quarter mile or so apart. The remains of a man in a Breland uniform, an woman with a broken Aundair staff holding her to a tree trunk, several skeletons with rotten clothing that could belong to any side. Some have the same message carved into their armour but those without breastplates do not, though the message is clear. It's more than enough to put everyone on edge and what little conversation you have seems forced.

Could I have spot and listen checks please.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #88

Spoiler
    Show
    Dallun
    Spot:(1d20-2)[12]
    Listen:(1d20-1)[6]

Leverage
    Spot:(1d20-1)[4]
    Listen:(1d20-1)[3]

Synergy
    Spot:(1d20-1)[1]
    Listen:(1d20-1)[14]

Paradigm
    Spot:(1d20-1)[0]
    Listen:(1d20-1)[14]
    Well, I pretty sure those are all fails.
    Last edited by jojolagger; 2012-10-23 at 01:44 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20-1)[4]
    Listen: (1d20-1)[17]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+6)[12]
    Listen: (1d20+4)[8]
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show