New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Oh Halloween [3.5]

Okay people, I think this discussion belongs another place than this thread really xD
    For simplicity, I'm doing it the half-elf way.

Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.
    so somthing like:
    Human Ancestry(Ex): For all effects related to race, a strange-folk is considered a human.

fine? xD

Edit: Okay, that change were actually big enough to force me to remove items from the main thread and link them instead :/
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-14 at 08:39 AM.
    Halloween Inspired 3.5 content
    Eldritch Cultist [3.5 Base Class]

A Vitreous Drinker with a Robe of Eyes, for that extra eye feel.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

Okay, nothing new, just had to move items from the main thread due to space limits. All future items will be added to this post.

Items:

Despair
    Price: +1 bonus
    Property: Weapon
    Caster Level: 5th
    Aura: Faint; (DC 21) Faint Necromancy [Fear, Mind-Affecting)
    Activation: —

The surface of this weapon shines with a dark purple glow.

A weapon with the Despair enchantment gets a +1 on attack rolls and damage rolls against shaken enemies, +2 against frightened enemies and +3 against panicked enemies.
    Create Magic Arms and Armor; cause fear.

Fear Harvest
    Price: +1 bonus
    Property: Weapon
    Caster Level: 9th
    Aura: Faint; (DC 21) Conjuration (healing)

The weapon is covered in streamlined black holes drilled into the weapon. Each time it strikes the weapon emits, a low screeching sound.

Each time a Fear Harvest weapon strikes a shaken, frightened or panicked enemy, the fear is lowered by one step. You heal 2d4 hit points each time this happends. (This is positive damage and deal 1d4 damage to the wielder, if the wielder is undead)
    Create Magic Arms and Armor, remove fear, cure moderate wounds.

Courage
    Price: 500 gp
    Property: Armor
    Caster Level: 12th
    Aura: Moderate; (DC 21) Abjuration

The armor glows with a faint waving white light.

The wielder of this item gets a +2 morale bonus resist fear effects.

Gold Pumpkin
    A golden pumpkin is a very rare item sometimes found on the material plane or its neighboring planes. Simply by touching the golden pumpkin, the touching person instantly travels to the Plane of Halloween. For more people to touch the pumpkin at once, and all get teleported, they must succeed a DC 16 Reflex Save. The pumpkin can teleport up to 8 people at once, each with no more items on them than they can carry with max load. Once on the plane, the gold pumpkin will turn pitch black and disappear to be located on a random spot within the plane. If adventures find a black pumpkin, they can, by touching it, teleport to the plane from which the pumpkin was used in the same fashion it is used to teleport to the Plane of Halloween.
    Aura: Strong Conjuration (Teleportation)
    Minor Artifact, Caster level 20.

Liquid Nitrogen
    This is a cylinder formed metal bottle obviously constructed to fall apart upon impact; while still creating the pressure to contain nitrogen in its liquid form.

You can throw a flask of liquid nitrogen as a splash weapon. Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet. A direct hit deals 2d4 points of cold damage. Every creature within 5 feet of the point where the acid hits takes 1 point of cold damage from the splash.

You can use a flask of liquid nitrogen to make a touch attack against a weapon or shield, the wearer must succeed a DC 14 reflex save or drop the weapon/shield. If he succeeds he takes 1d4 cold damage instead. A character can choose to voluntarily drop the weapon or shield to avoid taking this damage.

If you drink a bottle of liquid nitrogen you take 4d4 points of cold damage and must succeed a DC 20 fortitude save or die. Creature’s immune to critical strikes, cold damage, and/or death effects is immune to this effect. A bottle of liquid nitrogen cannot be used as a poison as it vaporizes outside the bottle and turns to nitrogen gas.

A character can create a bottle of liquid nitrogen if they succeed on a DC 30 Craft (Alchemy) check, Nitrogen however has a special component needed to make it; 0.5 lb of ice from the elemental plane of cold. This material is very rare on the material plane and has a marked price of 200 gp per half lb. To make a flask of liquid nitrogen, one needs a Masterwork Alchemy Kit.
    Cost: 250 gp; Marked Price 500 Gp

Bottle of Hoodlums
    The content of this round bottle looks like whirling smoke and dust. Upon impact it releases a number of mean spirit ghosts who attempts to steal and escape with all valuable items inside its impact zone.

You can throw a bottle of Hoodlums as a splash weapon. Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 15 feet. Upon impact the bottle releases 1d4+1 Hoodlums that try steal valuable items from all creatures within 15ft. of impact and then escape. Alternatively, a user that removes the bottle’s lit let the hoodlums loose centered on his area and might very well end up losing a valuable item per released hoodlum, see above.

All hoodlums last for 10 rounds before disappearing; leaving all stolen goods on the spot they disappeared in.
    Aura: Faint Conjuration
    Craft Wondrous Item; Summon Monster IV, CL 10, Cost: 2000 GP; Marked Price: 4000 GP
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-16 at 07:14 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Debihuman View Post
    The 3.5 MM (and by extension the SRD) is egregiously poorly edited and proofread. Demon and Devil subtypes are missing but it has the Angel and Archon Subtypes. The Sprite subtype is also missing. [All sprites have a +2 racial bonus on Search, Spot, and Listen checks].

Hazlon's razor strikes again: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Then again I think it is stating the obvious to say that a creature with Subtype X has racial traits X unless otherwise noted.

Debby
    So, essentially, you have no proof for your claim.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by CthulhuEatYou View Post
    Okay people, I think this discussion belongs another place than this thread really xD
    For simplicity, I'm doing it the half-elf way.

so somthing like:
    Human Ancestry(Ex): For all effects related to race, a strange-folk is considered a human.

fine? xD
    Just having the human subtype should mean the same thing, but you can add in a racial trait to that end. Though I'm trying to look up a published Half-Elf in 3.X to see whether or not they have the Elf subtype or just the human one.

Edit Edit:

I did some digging and it turns out that Half-Elves are statted as "Humanoid (Elf)".

So there's evidence right there that having a subtype does not automatically grant you the racial traits usually attributed to that subtype since Half-Elf racial traits differ from Elf racial traits even though they have the same subtype.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-10-14 at 11:03 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Pumpkin Hound

Pumpkin Hound
    Medium Plant (Augmented Animal, Extraplanar, Psionic)
    Hit Dice: 5d8+15 (37 hp)
    Initiative: +7
    Speed: 50 ft (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 21 (+3 Dex, +4 natural, +4 deflection), touch 17, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+6
    Attack: Bite +6 melee (2d4+4)
    Full Attack: Bite +6 melee (2d4+4)
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Animal Instincts, Darkvision 60 ft., Plant-Traits, Psionics, Scent, Sixth-Sense, Trackless Step
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +9, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 18
    Skills: Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Search +8, Spot +8
    Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Trip
    Environment: Demiplane of Halloween
    Organization: Solitary, Pack (5-12)
    Challenge Rating: 3
    Treasure: None
    Alignment: Usually Neutral
    Advancement: 5-9 (Medium), 10-14 (Large), 15 – 20 (Huge)
    Level Adjustment: +1

Pumpkin hounds are peculiar dog-like plant creatures resembling fused pumpkins. Strangley these are not even remotely in family with the Jack-o’-lantern. Pumpkin hounds are smart by animal standarts, and what are most surprising about them is their supernatural psionic abilities to locate objects and people they’ve seen before.

Combat
    In combat, pumpkin hounds use darkness and then circle their prey like real-life wolfs. If facing enemies alone, they most often retreat to their pack.

Animal Instincts (Ex): For all effects related to race, a Pumpkin Hound is considered an animal. Druids native to the Plane of Halloween can choose a Pumpkin Hound as animal companion at 7th level.

Psionics (Sp): At will—Know Direction, Locate Object, Locate Creature (DC 17), 3/day—Expeditious Retreat, Darkness. Effective caster level equal to the Pumpkin Hounds HD.

Sixth-Sense (Su): The Pumpkin-hound get a deflection bonus to AC and reflex saves equal to its charisma modifier.

Trackless Step (Ex): A Pumpkin Hound leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. It may choose to leave a trail if so desired.
    {table=head] Knowledge (the Planes) | Information
    20 | Pumpkin Hounds are wolf like plant creatures native to the Plane of Halloween. They hunt in packs like wolfs and uses weak psionics to blind their enemies with darkness. This level of success reveals plant traits.
    25 | What is truly remarkable about Pumpkin Hounds is their ability to find familiar objects and people, a pumpkin hound can find anything seemingly hidden beyond ever being found again with their psionic abilities.
    [/table]
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-15 at 12:05 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Back on target now

A "bumpkin" is an unsophisticated person, as in "country bumpkin" so I'm not sure that your golden pumpkin is aptly named. It should be a minor artifact with Strong Conjuration (Teleportation) and CL 20. .

Most of what you have listed under Items are Weapon Special Abilities and not actual items at all. Just being a bit nickpicky here. They are also missing parts of construction.

Despair should have for creation the following: Faint Necromancy [Fear, Mind-Affecting); CL 5, Create Magic Arms and Armor; cause fear.

It only has a +1 enhancement and cause fear is a 1st level spell, so this would necessitate the lower caster level and aura. I'd make this comparable to a weapon with the Throwing or Thundering special ability.

Fear harvest would have Faint Conjuration, CL 9, Create Magic Arms and Armor, cause fear, cure moderate wounds.

It has a +1 enhancement and it takes a 1st level spell and a 2nd level spell to create. I'm not the best with item creation but requiring CL 12 seems a bit high. This looks to be the equivalent of +3 enhancement making it CL 9. [CL is 3x enhancement bonus].

Just trying to work this out myself.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Now back to critiquing monsters

Pumpkin hound looks good. To make them even more Animal-like, you might want to give them the Augmented Animal Subtype. [Note: this could have more to do with the history of how these came to be than anything else.]

Hit Dice and hit points are off. Hit Dice: 5d8+15 (37 hp).
    5 x 4.5 = 22.5 plus 3x5 = 15; 22.5 +15 =37.5 and you always round down.

Attack lines are a bit wonky. If its claws are its primary attack, it gets BAB + Str + size modifier to attack (no matter how many primary claws it has); it has 1 bite as a secondary attack, which takes -5 penalty. Note that secondary attacks are always secondary even when used as a primary attack.

The attack line should only lists one primary attack unless a creature has more than one type of primary attack. The full attack line shows all the attacks.

Attack: Claw + 6 melee (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d6+3) and bite +1 melee (1d8+1)

Flat-footed AC is 18. not 14. AC minus Dex bonus.

When you make a Knowledge check to find out about a monster the initial check is 10 + Monster's HD. Your first check should be at 15 not 20.

Do you have access to the online SRD? Here: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm. I recommend you bookmark. I makes checking the rules a lot easier.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-10-14 at 12:42 PM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fixed, yeah, was confusing my self quite a lot over the Pumpkin Hound, haha xD

Anyway, here is my next "spooky" creation:

Cauldron Slime

Cauldron Slime
    Large Ooze (Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 12d10+84 (150 hp)
    Initiative: -5
    Speed: 50 ft (10 squares)
    Armor Class: 4 (-1 size, -5 Dex), touch 4, flat-footed 4
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+17
    Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+6 plus 2d6 Acid and 1d6 fire)
    Full Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+6 plus 2d6 Acid and 1d6 fire)
    Special Attacks:
    Special Qualities: Acid, Blindsight 60 ft., Boiling Form, Cold Vulnerability, Magic Concoction, Ooze Traits
    Saves: Fort +12, Ref +0, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 18, Dex 1, Con 24, Int -, Wis 1, Cha 1
    Skills: -
    Feats: -
    Organization: Solitary
    Challenge Rating: 9
    Alignment: Always Neutral Evil
    Advancement: 12-18 (Large), 19-25 (Huge)
    Level Adjustment:

Cauldron slimes are a witch’s potion gone horribly wrong. Most Cauldron slimes consume their creators upon creation and then move on to consume everything else. The cauldron slimes color varies from deep red, to purple and green.

Combat
    A cauldron slime charges its prey mindlessly. A cauldron slime is a dreaded enemy to all living creatures on the plane of Halloween.

Acid (Ex): The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit deals acid 2d6 acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed on DC 23 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a cauldron slime also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 23 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

Boiling Form [Su] : The cauldron slimes temperature is always above the boiling point. All creatures struck by a cauldron slimes attacks takes 1d6 fire damage. Futhermore any creature striking the cauldron slime with a melee attack must succeed a DC 11 reflex save or take 1d6 fire damage. If the cauldron slime is dealt half its hit points cold damage, it loses this ability for 2d6 minutes.

Magic Concoction [Su] : The cauldron slimes body consists of various magic substances, any creature struck by the creature’s attacks must succeed a DC 22 Fort save or be affected by a random effect (see table below). Roll a d8 to determine the effect.

{table=head] Roll | Magical Effect6
    1 | Target takes 2d4 desiccation damage every round for 5 rounds.
    2 | Target is affected by a Baleful Polymorph spell (no additional save), turned into a frog for 1d4 rounds.
    3 | Target is affected by a Baleful Polymorph spell (no additional save), turned tiny version of itself for 2d4 rounds.
    4 | Target affected by a Confusion spell for 1d4 rounds.
    5 | Target is affected by a Charm Monster spell for 4d4 rounds.
    6 | Target is affected by a Baleful Polymorph spell (no additional save), turned into candy for 1d4 rounds.
    7 - 8 | Nothing happends.
    [/table]

22 | A cauldron slime is the animated remains of a witches cauldron’s content. It's corrosive boiling form deals both fire and acid damage. This amount of success reveals ooze traits.
    27 | A cauldron slime still have some of the magic leftovers from the original witches potion. Everyone struck by it have a chance to be affected by a random magical effect.
    [/table]
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-15 at 08:00 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll just leave this here:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah, a little set back, was contacted by a moderator and I hadn't apparently linked sufficient "rights owner" material to each picture. Well, no pictures for now, but will contact the respective owners and see how many pictures I can use :)

10. - Top - End - #40

Yeah, a little set back, was contacted by a moderator and I hadn't apparently linked sufficient "rights owner" material to each picture. Well, no pictures for now, but will contact the respective owners and see how many pictures I can use :)

Can't you just link the pictures to their creators? That's what I do. That pumpkin monster picture I just shared doesn't seem to have a creator far as I can find.
    http://trixietreats.blogspot.com/200...-graphics.html

My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #41
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    Can't you just link the pictures to their creators? That's what I do. That pumpkin monster picture I just shared doesn't seem to have a creator far as I can find.
    http://trixietreats.blogspot.com/200...-graphics.html
    ~GH-Graphics deviantart.com? Thats what is written beneath all the pictures anyway ;)

Well, I did say the creator's name and webpage (devianart.com in ALL cases), but apparently that wasn't enough. :)

12. - Top - End - #42

~GH-Graphics deviantart.com? Thats what is written beneath all the pictures anyway ;)

Well, I did say the creator's name and webpage (devianart.com in ALL cases), but apparently that wasn't enough. :)
    Just link to it as well then. Since I've never been warned (Well except that one time when a picture was like two pixels too large to be placed without a spoiler) and I don't really do anything other then link to the source.

I followed the link below the picture, it was just a deviant art account that had no deviations on its own, just a collection of favorites I looked through to see if I could find the source there.

If you use it I would think it should be sufficient to say "Artist Unknown" and link to that blog-thing.

My Homebrew

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yeah. Reading the warning sticker thread leave puzzled, I think I have to ask a moderator, wouldn't want to lose the thread over it :)

Edit: Troll Bräu have apparently asked a moderator about it: I explicitly need the artists permission when using their pictures. Linking the artist and giving credit isn't enough alone. Good to know.
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-14 at 03:09 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44

Troll Bräu have apparently asked a moderator about it: I explicitly need the artists permission when using their pictures. Linking the artist and giving credit isn't enough alone. Good to know.
    Wouldn't that cut away at least half the pictures used on this site?
    Oh well, I used a lot of Genzoman's work and he let me... *Sigh* I'll have to go through and follow all my images to the author and make sure it's fine. Whats the point of hosting the images in the first place if you don't want to share them though?

Anyway.

I think 1 and 5 on the Cauldron Slime's magic Concoction are underwhelming compared with 2-4.
    Perhaps charm person could be replaced with a paralysis effect fluffed as the victim hardening into a colorful over-sized piece of candy instead of stone like an existing spell does (Which I don't know off the top of my head).
    1 could be reoccuring damage due to a piece of the slime attaching itself to the victim while it drains it, causing that desiccation damage.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2012-10-14 at 04:06 PM.

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    Wouldn't that cut away at least half the pictures used on this site?
    Oh well, I used a lot of Genzoman's work and he let me... *Sigh* I'll have to go through and follow all my images to the author and make sure it's fine. Whats the point of hosting the images in the first place if you don't want to share them though?

Anyway.

I think 1 and 5 on the Cauldron Slime's magic Concoction are underwhelming compared with 2-4.
    Perhaps charm person could be replaced with a paralysis effect fluffed as the victim hardening into a colorful over-sized piece of candy instead of stone like an existing spell does (Which I don't know off the top of my head).
    1 could be reoccuring damage due to a piece of the slime attaching itself to the victim while it drains it, causing that desiccation damage.
    Made it 2d4 dessication damage over 5 rounds and increased the charm person to 4d4 rounds. The charm person effect, like the other effects are flavoured after the usual witch concoction stuff (Turning people to frogs, making love potions, ect. ect.)
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-14 at 04:31 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46

Made it 2d4 dessication damage over 5 rounds and increased the charm person to 4d4 rounds. The charm person effect, like the other effects are flavoured after the usual witch concoction stuff (Turning people to frogs, making love potions, ect. ect.)
    Doesn't the witch in Hansel and Grettel turn children into candy and eat them? At least in one version of the story.
    My only problem (It isn't really a problem) is that Charm Person ends if the caster or allies threaten the charmed person, doesn't it? Which for a slime, would be pretty much always unless it tried to flee (Can slimes flee?)
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2012-10-14 at 04:42 PM.

My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, yeah, forgot about that, it now also have a chance of turning a person into candy for 1d4 rounds. Changed Charm Person to Charm Monster. A threatened creature gets +5 to the save to resist the effect, which I think is fair enough, as it is potentially a game ending effect that will passify one creature up to 16 rounds.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Off topic nonsense here:
    Spoiler
    Show

[/quote]So there's evidence right there that having a subtype does not automatically grant you the racial traits usually attributed to that subtype since Half-Elf racial traits differ from Elf racial traits even though they have the same subtype. [/quote]

Forgive me for sounding like a broken record, but I said earlier
    "Having Subtype X should give you Racial Traits X unless otherwise noted." Illumians have the Human subtype and also have traits that humans don't have. Those traits are noted. They also have the human bonus feat (not noted).

I thoroughly LOVE the cauldron slime. I've never been one to go, "Whoo-hoo, a new ooze." But this came darn-tooting close. I going in order so let me critique the Skeletal Troubador first :-)

The skeletal troubadour's attack lines are off.

Melee attack should BAB +7, size +0 , + 3 Dex as it has weapon finesse. Natural weapons only do double damage on a 20. In order to increase the threat damage of its claws, it would need the Improved Critical feat.

Attack: Claw +10 melee (1d6+1)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +10 melee (1d6 +1)

The DC save for Supernatural abilities is 10 + 1/2 Creature's HD + Cha modifier. Dance-'Til-Death should have DCs of 21.

I'm gonna streamline Dance-'til-death ability so that the saves are consistent.

Dance-'til-death (Su): As long as the troubadour plays his fiddle, all creatures within 60 ft. must succeed a DC 21 Will save or begin to dance as if affected by an Otto’s irresistible dance spell, except the duration lasts as long as the skeletal troubadour plays. After dancing for a number of hours equal to the target's constitution modifier (minimum 1), the target must succeed a DC 21 Fortitude save or become exhausted. Exhausted creatures continue to dance and takes 1 point of Constitution per hour unless the target succeeds on a Will save DC 21 +1 per hour the target continues to dance. If the target's constitution drops to 0, the target reanimates as a dancing dead 1d6 rounds later (see below). A creature can only be affected by this once every 24 hours. If a creature is dragged out of the ability’s range, or otherwise moved outside it, it is freed from the spell, but can be affected by it again before the 24 hours have passed. As long as a victim stays within the ability's range, it will struggle to stay within it. All targets will dance as long as the troubadour plays any music, which allows the troubadour to cast bards spells and use bardic music abilities, and still keep creatures dancing. This is a Mind-affecting compulsion effect. The saves are charisma-based.

I'd peg the LA as +3 rather than +1.

Knowledge checks should be at 22 and 25 not 20 and 30,

Dancing Dead attacks are also missing their Dex bonus from weapon finesse and should only crit on a natural 20 since they don't have the improved critical feat. Since they have a Str modifier of +3, they add that to their claw damage.

Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d6 +3)

Knowledge checks for dancing dead should be 16 and 21.

Cauldron Slime
    hit points are 150 not 146 12x5.5=66 +84 = 150

Speed 50 ft. is 10 squares.

Its attacks lines are off. Damage is 1.5xStr modifier for a creature that only makes one natural attack.

Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+6 plus 2d6 acid and 1d6 fire)
    Full Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+6 plus 2d6 acid and 1d6 fire)

Acid DC is 23 not 22. 10 + 1/2 creature's HD (6) + Con modifier (+7).

Acid is missing the amount of damage (2d4) in the text, just for completeness.

Acid (Ex): The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit deals 2d4 points of acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless he or she succeeds on DC 23 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a cauldron slime also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 23 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

Boiling form should affect all melee weapons not neutral weapons. Also, the DC is 11. 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + Cha modifier because it is a Supernatural ability 10 + 6 - 5 = 11.

Boiling Form (Su) : The cauldron slime's temperature is always above the boiling point. All creatures struck by a cauldron slime's attacks take 1d6 points of fire damage. Furthermore, any creature striking the cauldron slime with an unarmed strike or a melee weapon must succeed a DC 11 Reflex save or take 1d6 points of fire damage. If the cauldron slime is dealt half its hit points cold damage, it loses this ability for 2d6 minutes.

Debby

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

I just realized that the prerequisite for the Fear Harvest should be remove fear not cause fear. D'oh!

Debby

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

I thoroughly LOVE the cauldron slime. I've never been one to go, "Whoo-hoo, a new ooze." But this came darn-tooting close. I going in order so let me critique the Skeletal Troubador first :-)
    I'll take that as a compliment :)

The skeletal troubadour's attack lines are off.

Melee attack should BAB +7, size +0 , + 3 Dex as it has weapon finesse. Natural weapons only do double damage on a 20. In order to increase the threat damage of its claws, it would need the Improved Critical feat.
    Well, that is truly strange, because I copied it from the skeletons attack, and it doesn't have Improved Critical Feat either.

Attack: Claw +10 melee (1d6+1)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +10 melee (1d6 +1)
    Don't know if I should keep the threat range or not, but rest fixed :)

The DC save for Supernatural abilities is 10 + 1/2 Creature's HD + Cha modifier. Dance-'Til-Death should have DCs of 21.
    Ah, yeah, sorry, vent 10 + creature HD I think, haha

I'm gonna streamline Dance-'til-death ability so that the saves are consistent.

Dance-'til-death (Su): As long as the troubadour plays his fiddle, all creatures within 60 ft. must succeed a DC 21 Will save or begin to dance as if affected by an Otto’s irresistible dance spell, except the duration lasts as long as the skeletal troubadour plays. After dancing for a number of hours equal to the target's constitution modifier (minimum 1), the target must succeed a DC 21 Fortitude save or become exhausted. Exhausted creatures continue to dance and takes 1 point of Constitution per hour unless the target succeeds on a Will save DC 21 +1 per hour the target continues to dance. If the target's constitution drops to 0, the target reanimates as a dancing dead 1d6 rounds later (see below). A creature can only be affected by this once every 24 hours. If a creature is dragged out of the ability’s range, or otherwise moved outside it, it is freed from the spell, but can be affected by it again before the 24 hours have passed. As long as a victim stays within the ability's range, it will struggle to stay within it. All targets will dance as long as the troubadour plays any music, which allows the troubadour to cast bards spells and use bardic music abilities, and still keep creatures dancing. This is a Mind-affecting compulsion effect. The saves are charisma-based.
    Thank you, that makes it a lot easier to fix

I'd peg the LA as +3 rather than +1.
    Ah, might have forgotten to change it, as I did the dancing dead first.

Knowledge checks should be at 22 and 25 not 20 and 30,
    Fixed

Dancing Dead attacks are also missing their Dex bonus from weapon finesse and should only crit on a natural 20 since they don't have the improved critical feat. Since they have a Str modifier of +3, they add that to their claw damage.

Attack: Claw +6 melee (1d6+3)
    Full Attack: 2 claws +6 melee (1d6 +3)

Knowledge checks for dancing dead should be 16 and 21.
    Fixed

Cauldron Slime
    hit points are 150 not 146 12x5.5=66 +84 = 150

Speed 50 ft. is 10 squares.

Its attacks lines are off. Damage is 1.5xStr modifier for a creature that only makes one natural attack.

Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+6 plus 2d6 acid and 1d6 fire)
    Full Attack: Slam +13 melee (2d6+6 plus 2d6 acid and 1d6 fire)

Acid DC is 23 not 22. 10 + 1/2 creature's HD (6) + Con modifier (+7).

Acid is missing the amount of damage (2d4) in the text, just for completeness.

Acid (Ex): The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit deals 2d4 points of acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless he or she succeeds on DC 23 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a cauldron slime also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 23 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.
    Fixed

Boiling form should affect all melee weapons not neutral weapons. Also, the DC is 11. 10 + 1/2 creature's HD + Cha modifier because it is a Supernatural ability 10 + 6 - 5 = 11.
    Actually my thought on the subject was that while the heat would damage anyone that hit the struck it with bare hands/claws/bite would take damage, but the boiling wasn't, unlike the acid, powerful enough to actually harm a metal weapon. I don't know if fire damage bypass hardness, but don't think so, so 1d6 damage wouldn't have any effect anyway?

Boiling Form (Su) : The cauldron slime's temperature is always above the boiling point. All creatures struck by a cauldron slime's attacks take 1d6 points of fire damage. Furthermore, any creature striking the cauldron slime with an unarmed strike or a melee weapon must succeed a DC 11 Reflex save or take 1d6 points of fire damage. If the cauldron slime is dealt half its hit points cold damage, it loses this ability for 2d6 minutes.
    Might just change it to this anyway, as it would be easy to imagine that the ooze's mass would spew unto the attacker when hitting it.

I just realized that the prerequisite for the Fear Harvest should be remove fear not cause fear. D'oh!

Debby
    Don't feel too bad, I didn't see it too. Although, apparently, there seem to be quite a lot of things I don't notice when it come to it. Haha
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-15 at 07:45 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Off topic nonsense here:
    Spoiler
    Show

So there's evidence right there that having a subtype does not automatically grant you the racial traits usually attributed to that subtype since Half-Elf racial traits differ from Elf racial traits even though they have the same subtype.

Forgive me for sounding like a broken record, but I said earlier
    "Having Subtype X should give you Racial Traits X unless otherwise noted." Illumians have the Human subtype and also have traits that humans don't have. Those traits are noted. They also have the human bonus feat (not noted).
    Spoiler
    Show
    No, they don't.

The sample Illumian for the Loredelver PrC from Races of Destiny is ECL 8 and has 5 feats. Scribe Scroll is a bonus feat from Wizard 1, Craft Wondrous Item is a bonus feat from Wizard 5. The other three feats are from levels 1, 3, and 6. If the Illumian had the human racial traits, than Newsun Ralouf would have 6 feats, not 5.

The sample Illumian for the Shadow Sentinel PrC from Races of Destiny is ECL 12 and has 8 feats. 3 of those eight are Fighter bonus feats and that other five come from levels 1, 3, 6, 9, and 12. If the Illumian had the human racial traits, he'd have 9 feats, not 8.

So again, I'd like to see some actual evidence for your claim.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-10-15 at 08:06 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Please stop discussing that here D:

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

Please stop discussing that here D:
    Sorry, I'll make sure it goes to PMs from here on out. Enjoying your brew thus far though.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thank you, and thank you :)

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

tongue Re: Oh Halloween [3.5]

I'll take that as a compliment :)
    It was indeed. I've been enjoying all of your creations.

Well, that is truly strange, because I copied it from the skeletons attack, and it doesn't have Improved Critical Feat either.
    You took the threat range of the skeleton's manufactured weapon not from the claws. The 18-20 only applies to the skeleton's scimitar and not to its claw attacks.

Here is the skeleton warrior's attack line:
    Attack: Scimitar +1 melee (1d6+1/18–20) or claw +1 melee (1d4+1)
    Full Attack: Scimitar +1 melee (1d6+1/18–20) or 2 claws +1 melee (1d4+1)
    You'll note the claws have no threat range, just the scimitar does. That's the difference between attacking with a manufactured weapon and its natural weapons.

Actually my thought on the subject was that while the heat would damage anyone that hit the struck it with bare hands/claws/bite would take damage, but the boiling wasn't, unlike the acid, powerful enough to actually harm a metal weapon. I don't know if fire damage bypass hardness, but don't think so, so 1d6 damage wouldn't have any effect anyway?
    If you are close enough to attack with a melee weapon, you'll take the damage, not your weapon. . It doesn't say the weapon takes the damage. :-) That's the consequence to you get for standing too close to those things. I guess I imagined that a boiling ooze would radiate some steam and that's why you'd take damage if you attack it with natural or melee weapons.

It's probably not hot enough to melt any weapons (unless you are fighting with a giant icicle as an improvised sword) but who knows where these could show up. If I were a witch and one of these showed up in my cauldron, you bet your sweet bibby1 I'd teleport it out to the arctic waste as fast as I could.

Pumpkin Hound still has a few errors in it. Augmented is a Subtype and always has a Type with it and it belongs in the parentheses.

Medium Plant (Augmented Animal, Extraplanar, Psionic)

Attack lines are still wrong. A secondary attack always takes -5 penalty to hit even when used as a primary attack.

Str modifier applies to all the creature's natural attacks and the damage doesn't change either. Melee attack is wrong BAB +3, +0 size +3 Str = 6 not 7. Primary attack to hit is +6 and Secondary to hit is +1.

Just to note: Dogs, riding dogs, and blink dogs just have a bite attack and no claw attacks. You may want to consider changing the attack lines so that they match other dogs and dog-like creatures.

Here's the issue: It doesn't matter which attack option you choose, but pick one and be consistent with it.

Option A. 2 claws primary, bite secondary; or
    Option B. Bite primary and 2 claws secondary; or
    Option C. Bite and Claws both primary but cannot be used together and must be separated by an "or"); or
    Option D. Bite attack as primary and no secondary attacks.

Options A and D are standard options. Options B and C are non-standard but don't break any rules. Option A is the strongest and Option D is the weakest. Option C is weaker than Option B. [I think I just turned this in a math word problem].

If you go with Option D, the strength modifier on damage is 1.5 instead of 1 because it is the creature's only attack.

BTW, I couldn't tell what the pumpkin hound's correct bite damage should be because you use both 1d8 and 2d4. Again, as long as you are consistent, it doesn't matter which one you choose.

I'd recommend actually going with just the bite to make it more dog-like.

Debby
    1 A cookie for whoever can name the tv show that originated that phrase.
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-10-15 at 11:13 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, my next creation is more adorable than scary. Until it start devouring your flesh that is!

Candy Legion

Candy Legion
    Diminutive Construct (Swarm, Extraplanar)
    Hit Dice: 4d10 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +1
    Speed: 30 ft (6 squares), cannot run
    Armor Class: 15 (+4 size, +1 Dex), touch 15, flat-footed 14
    Base Attack/Grapple: +3/-
    Attack: Swarm +8 melee (2d6 plus wounding)
    Full Attack: Slam +8 melee (2d6 plus wounding)
    Special Attacks: -
    Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., Candy-mass, Construct Traits, Consume the Flesh, Half damage from weapons, Immunity to Magic, Wounding
    Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +0
    Abilities: Str 16, Dex 12, Con -, Int -, Wis 8, Cha 8
    Skills: -
    Feats: -
    Organization: Solitary or Baker’s Army (3-6)
    Challenge Rating: 4
    Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
    Advancement: -
    Level Adjustment:

The mindless horde of gingerbread mean overwhelms you in seconds, and like piranhas with the ferocity of a thousand angry chiwawas they start to consume your still living flesh. You try to escape, but there is simply too many.

Combat
    The candy legion is mindless and will consume any living creature within sight. A candy legion automatically heads for the largest target; bigger creatures equals more flesh to consume.

Candy Mass (Su): All damage dealt to the Candy-legion is treated as non-lethal damage, with the exception of cold and acid damage. Unlike other types of non-lethal damage, the candy legion is subject to non-lethal damage deal this way and will be rendered useless (unconscious) for 2d6 rounds if the amount of non-lethal damage hits 0. The candy-legion heals 3 points of non-lethal damage each turn. This ability does not work if the candy legion is submerged in water or any other liquid.

Consume the Flesh (Su): The candy legion heals half all damage they deal with their melee attacks, if this exceeds their maximum they gain it as temporary hit points. The candy legion can max have temporary hit points equal to ten times their HD.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to the candy legion's attacks that begins its turn within a square also occupied by the candy legion is nauseated for 1 round; a DC 12 Fortitude save negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a candy legion requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.

Wounding (Ex): Any living creature damaged by a candy legion continues to bleed, losing 1 hit point per round thereafter. Multiple wounds do not result in cumulative bleeding loss. The bleeding can be stopped by a DC 10 Heal check or the application of a cure spell or some other healing magic.

Immunity from Magic (Ex): The candy legion is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

Antimagic fields denies the Candy legion it’s Candy Mass and Consume the Flesh abilities, effectively halting their regeneration.

All spells with the Water descriptor deals double damage to the Candy Legion and ignores the Candy Mass ability.

14 | A candy legion is a mass of animated gingerbread men. The most scaring aspect about this is that the gingerbread mean crave living flesh and will go out of their way to consume any living creature in sight. This amount of success reveals construct traits.
    19 | A candy legion is surrounded by a field of magic that works like regeneration, to kill a candy legion, one must either kill it with acid or cold damage, or submerge it in water, milk, or another liquid.
    [/table]
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-16 at 07:16 AM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was indeed. I've been enjoying all of your creations.
    I'm glad to hear that :)

You took the threat range of the skeleton's manufactured weapon not from the claws. The 18-20 only applies to the skeleton's scimitar and not to its claw attacks.

Here is the skeleton warrior's attack line:

You'll note the claws have no threat range, just the scimitar does. That's the difference between attacking with a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon.
    Ah, that makes sense, will be fixed :)

If you are close enough to attack with a melee weapon, YOU take the damage. It doesn't say the weapon takes the damage. :-) That's the consequence to you get for standing too close to those things.

You can explain this as acid leeching up the sword you stuck into it. The sword dissolves in the acid and you still take some residual damage.

Boiling hot works much the same way. You just have to be close enough. If you are close enough to attack with a melee weapon, you are close enough to take the residual damage. It's probably not hot enough to melt any weapons (unless you are fighting with a giant icicle as an improvised sword) but who knows where these could show up. If I were a witch and one of these showed up in my cauldron, you bet your sweet bibby1 I'd teleport it out to the arctic waste as fast as I could.
    I have fixed that already xD

Debby
    [sup]1[/[sup] A cookie for whoever can name the tv show that originated that phrase.
    Only if I cheat, haha

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

You're faster than I am. I posted a HUGE comment on pumpkin hound as an edit and here you've commented on my earlier post. Oh well, you'll just have to read my comments above instead of here :-)

Debby

29. - Top - End - #59
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fixed it. Went with option D.

Might make a Bottle of Liquid Nitrogen as a alchemist item for the Candy legion since it's immune to magic, and that make a bottle of Acid the only way to kill it with mundane damage since no non-magic item deals cold damage as far as I know.

Done: Added two new items: Liquid Nitrogen (Not so Halloween-y, but anyway) and Bottled Hoodlums (See items)
    Last edited by CthulhuEatYou; 2012-10-15 at 12:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Caster Level for Bottle of Hoodlums is 7 not 10 as both clerics and druids can cast the prerequisite spell at level 7. It should have the prerequisite feat Craft Wondrous Item. It look like base price should be Spell level × caster level × 50 gp for a single use item. (4x7x50=1,400 gp) and it should only summon a single hoodlum. To summon 1d4 would be 4 times as much (5,600 gp).

Candy Legion is missing Distraction. All swarms have distraction.

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to a swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a Fortitude save (DC 10 + ½ swarm’s HD + swarm’s Con modifier; the exact DC is given in a swarm’s description) negates the effect. Spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills that involve patience and concentration requires a DC 20 Concentration check.

Debby