New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Burning Wheel Gold AP

This all seems pretty damn cool.

For kings, we could make our true king be one that rules the Land of Man only, and that Bryzalt is a city state of its own. It would give you a reason to go there, to amass troops or whatever to help take your throne back without showing the other races that you had weakened.

If not, instead of a council, we could have the kings of all four races be independent, only meeting in Byzalt every few years to discuss treaties and what have you.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

If we're doing my ruling party, I suggest 4 noble families, each of 1 race, that takes turns ruling. Since each race lives a different number of years, I suggest that they take turns ruling every 250 years. This would explain how the throne could be passed down from father to son. The other 3 noble families act as a buffer, and step in when all of them come to a consensus that the current ruler does more harm than good.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vesth View Post
    If we're doing my ruling party, I suggest 4 noble families, each of 1 race, that takes turns ruling. Since each race lives a different number of years, I suggest that they take turns ruling every 250 years. This would explain how the throne could be passed down from father to son. The other 3 noble families act as a buffer, and step in when all of them come to a consensus that the current ruler does more harm than good.
    I like what you've come up with so far Vesth. So would Bryzalt be the home of all 4 noble families? Is it where the current ruler resides? Also, do we want the party to be a mix of races, or just one? Maybe the house who's next in line is responsible for manipulating the king so that their ascendance to the throne happens more quickly when he's deposed.
    Last edited by Iron Victory; 2012-10-10 at 07:19 PM.
    Avatar by the fabulous Kid Kris.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I did describe the noble houses as a castle in the centre of the city. I would say that it is possible that all the noble families live in the castle, which is big enough to be cut into 5. (4 for each of the noble families and 1 for the throne room and related areas for the current ruler)

Maybe each of the noble areas have a statue of their ancestor (Incas, Leiana, Dorugan and Grunk) to represent their quarters and mark their boundaries.

Deposing the king for the next in line is a great idea, though if we want to use it, we have to do some tweaking if we use the earlier idea that it is 250 years per race, which means that death won't really mean passing onto the next race unless the 250 years are up.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

I'd imagine that if a family is unable to produce an heir when the former king dies or is deposed, the other families can take control temporarily. Removing my brother could be just a step in a process, an attempt to put all the families in a deadlock as part of a bid for power.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Also, this is just a minor detail, but have you thought of any names for the different houses? If not, I'd like to suggest that they're named after their ancestors. For example, House Dorugan for the dwarves, House Incas for humans etc...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

That can work!

Also, if people noticed, there are 4 races, 4 heroes that built Bryzalt...and 4 players. *hintwecouldeachplayoneracehint*

Although it is supposedly a city of unity, there could still be a degree of prejudice. In real life, racism isn't easily solved.

EDIT: We aren't actually going to start the game WITHIN the capital city, right? That's a little...close to home. Where should we start?
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-10-11 at 04:54 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Sorry, guys, super long day at work yesterday. Looks like you guys were hard at it!

This new write up sounds interesting. It gave me an idea. Someone mentioned each player running a character from a different race. That got me to thinking about why that would happen story-wise...

Perhaps the brother's rule is so horrible that each of the other races has sent an emissary to retrieve the former king in order for him to return to the throne. He could even be setting the other races against each each other in his quest for absolute power. I could see this even leading to another Bell Quest.

I forgot to mention that regarding magic, I don't want to outright ban it, I just wanted it to be rare, strange, and powerful. Loki, if you'd like your character to be a sorcerer, or a sorcerer to be, go right ahead. It'd give me a reason to study up on another part of the book!

9. - Top - End - #69

Hmm... that would mean that when the game starts, we're not exactly a group of friends who work together, just a bunch of people brought together by a common goal - finding the true king and making him want to come back to the throne with us. It would change the dynamic of how we all feel about each other of course.

Not to mention, we would also need to clarify which line is next to take over the throne.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

But if Loki is the true king, it isn't much of a goal since he'll be with us all the time...unless he was keeping his identity secret because he isn't sure whether he wants to take the throne back, unless it was absolutely necessary. But of course, he must have some way to disguise himself so that others won't recognise him that easily.

11. - Top - End - #71

Well maybe we can invert that - maybe we are delegations sent by members of the council to try and 'convince' the king that returning to the throne and taking his place by his brother's side is the right thing to do.

Hell, if we really want to make it crazy, we can split it. One person is his best friend. One person is there to convince him to come back. One person is there to convince him to stay so they can have their people take over.

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Drugged dwarf View Post
    Well maybe we can invert that - maybe we are delegations sent by members of the council to try and 'convince' the king that returning to the throne and taking his place by his brother's side is the right thing to do.

Hell, if we really want to make it crazy, we can split it. One person is his best friend. One person is there to convince him to come back. One person is there to convince him to stay so they can have their people take over.
    It could also be that although they were sent to convince him to come back, their personal feelings may differ from their orders. That could lead to some internal conflict in the PC's beliefs.

Also, how did they discover that he wasn't murdered and instead ran away to escape the responsibilities of the throne?

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, people had to know, like the coroner who was murdered. Actually, this puts pressure on things, since people who know are being killed.

Actually, I personally prefer the idea that they don't know, as the king had an added reason of not telling anyone (to not put people in the spotlight for a bout of murdering), along with the dislike for the noble life, a lack of self-confidence for ruling the kingdom, and a selfish worry that something bad might happen to him.

14. - Top - End - #74

BardGuy

Yeah, I kind of feel like most people shouldn't know, it feels like a lame backstory for me to stage my death and run away only for half the world to know I'm still alive and how to find me. I'd be cool with the other PC's knowing I'm the true king for any length of time, but that doesn't mesh with them being sent to find me. I do however like the concept of a completely mixed race party, so I'm all for finding a way to work that in.

15. - Top - End - #75

Different approach, what if the king was looking for us?

16. - Top - End - #76

If it makes it easier, it doesn't have to be that you faked your death and ran away. You could just be someone with an equal claim, but no interest to, the throne. The emissaries could have been sent out to find someone who could legitimately replace the current king.

That would mean the murders of the coroner and others would have to be for some other reason of course. It could be that everyone who knows about you and your claim is being murdered to keep it secret.

Maybe you don't even know that you have a claim to to the throne? Then one day, out of the blue, an elf, ork, and a dwarf show up on your doorstop and give you a genealogy lesson.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Though not knowing you had a claim to the throne will break apart the whole 'I fake my death to escape nobility life' shtick.

18. - Top - End - #78

Pulling one thread is definitely leading to more. Should we decide and just force everything else to fit or get tossed? I'm afraid we may be able to keep tossing ideas out for the next few weeks without picking one.

19. - Top - End - #79

Well let's make a list of things we do want to keep, and start from there.

We definitely want the lore as is, and we love the idea of all four races being played (although whoever draws orc might find it a little intense given how it is written in the book - I am more than happy to take that title if I have to). The faked death rule works as well I think, so all we need is a suitable story to tie all if it together.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Maybe we should try to get together and skype for a few minutes about the setting? I'm "ironvictory" if anyone wants to add me.

21. - Top - End - #81

Excellent idea. I'm druggeddwarf, add me. I'll be on in about 4 hours. Even if we don't char, we can talk it out.

22. - Top - End - #82

BardGuy

I believe I'm theactualloki_42 on Skype. I've sent the two of you requests.

23. - Top - End - #83

I added all of you.

24. - Top - End - #84

sweet. Now lets not let this die out. When we've all added each other the discussions can continue! We have all weekend (I hope)

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Tentative character sheet:

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Varriac

Concept/Bio:

Lifepaths: Citadel Born, Song Singer, Bard

Stats: Wi: B7, Pe: B4, Po: B4, Fo: B3, Ag: B4, Sp: B4, Stride 8

Attributes: Ref: B4, Ste: B5, Hes: 3, Hea: B6, MW: B9, Grief: B0, Circles: B3, Resources: B1

PTGS: Su: B2 Li: B4 Mi: B6 Se: B7 Tr: B8 Mo: B9

Beliefs:

I will show the world my skill as a musician.

I will prevent my flute from being stolen or damaged in any way, no matter the cost.

Instincts:

Perform when another musician in playing in public.

Always check to see if the flute is alright after a fight.

Traits: [Char] Born Under the Silver Stars, [Dt] Essence of the Earth, [Char] Fair and Statuesque, [Dt] First Born, [Dt] Grief, [Dt] Keen Sight, [Char] Voice in the Crowd, [C-O] Improvisation

Skills: Anthem of Courage B4, Conspicuous B3, Elven Script B2, Flute B3, Lament of Stars B4, Oratory B3, Sing B3, Song of Merriment B4, Song of Soothing B5, Sword B4

Affiliations:

Reputations: Reputation in the Muse's Alley (1D)

Relationships:

Gear: Elven Long Sword, Reinforced Leather Armor

Property: Flute, Elven Clothes, Eleven Shoes, Cleaning Cloth, Metronone, Tuner

Spells:

Weapons:

Bare Fisted I:B2 M:B4 S:B6 Add 2 VA 0 Fast Shortest

Sword I:B4 M:B7 S:B10 Add 2 VA 1 Fast Long May Great Strike

---

Streetwise 1/6
    Sword 1/5 routine + 0/2 (difficult / challenging)
    Last edited by Vesth; 2012-11-05 at 07:52 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Cool, I'll start looking these over. For everyone else, please hold off on writing beliefs and relationships for a bit.

27. - Top - End - #87

Hey, I started work on Garok the Axe. this is just a placeholder for his class and skills. A lot of work needs to be done, but It's the basic premise of the character that's finished at least.

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Garok the Axe

Concept/Bio: Prized Gladiator and Pit Fighter[/b]

Lifepaths: Born Great, The Rites, Follower, Black Destroyer, Named

Stats: Wi: B6, Pe: B4, Po: B4, Fo: B4, Ag: B6, Sp: B4, Stride: 8

Attributes: Ref: B4, Ste: B7, Hes: 4, Hea: B6, MW: B10, Hatred: B6, Circles: B3, Resources: B0

PTGS: Su: B3 Li: B5 Mi: B7 Se: B8 Tr: B9 Mo: B10

Beliefs:

Instincts:

Traits: [Dt] Alert, [Dt] Born to Rule Them All, [Char] Breeder, [Char] Cannibal, [Dt] Cold Black Blood, [Dt] Enemy of the Sun, [Dt] Fanged and Clawed, [Char] Intense Hatred, [Dt] Life is Death, [Dt] Loathsome and Twisted, [Dt] Lynx-Eyed, Like Burning Coals, [Char] Savage Consequences, [Char] Silent Hatred, [Dt] Sprinter, [Char] Vile Language

Skills: Animal Husbandry B4, Armor Training, Axe B6, Bow B3, Brawling B4, Brutal Intimidation B3, Clan Wise B4, Command B4, Intimidation B5, Knives B3, Mounted Combat Training, Riding B3, Shield Training, Torture B3

Affiliations:

Reputations: 2D Axe-bearer

Relationships: Ragul. High Servant of the blood and benefactor (Significant, other family)

Gear: Spoils of War (Sweet Axe), Reinforced Leather with buckler

Property:

Spells:

Weapons:

Bare Fisted I:B2 M:B4 S:B6 Add 2 VA 0 Fast Shortest

Also, Ironvictory! where are you! We need you on skype man!
    Last edited by Drugged dwarf; 2012-10-30 at 08:41 AM.

28. - Top - End - #88

DD, don't forget to pick up the Ride skill.

29. - Top - End - #89

BardGuy

Alright, this is what I've got of my character. He's actually somewhat hard to build. Now I just need to fill out some numbers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Ryan Degikral

Concept/Bio: Heir to the throne who abandoned his post.

Lifepaths: Born Noble, Prince of the Blood, Arcane Devotee, Rogue Wizard

Stats: Wi: B4, Pe: B5, Po: B4, Fo: B4, Ag: B5, Sp: B5, Stride 7

Attributes: Ref: B5, Ste: B4, Hes: 6, Hea: B5, MW: B10, Circles: B2, Resources: B1

PTGS: Su: B3 Li: B5 Mi: B7 Se: B8 Tr: B9 Mo: B10

Beliefs:

I will not become the King.

I will protect my friends.

I will find out what is wrong with my brother.

Instincts:

Always wear a disguise.
    If I see a friend being attacked, prepare my bow.
    If I'm in a dangerous situation, begin casting Havoc's Hand

Traits: [Char] Base Humility, [Char] Born to be King, [Char] Mark of Privilege, [Char] Spooky, [Char] Your Grace, [Dt] Gifted, [Dt] Obscure Aura, [Dt] Aura of Fear

Skills: Calligraphy B2, Sorcery B3, Write B2, Read B2, Inconspicuous B3, Disguise B3, Bow B2, Enchanting B2

Affiliations: 1D Nobility

Reputations:

Relationships: I know we're supposed to wait for this one, but Brother to the King, obviously.

Gear: Superior Hunting Bow(+1D Balance), Reinforced Leather Armor, Riding Horse, Clothes, Shoes, Travelling Supplies, Paper and Ink(Tools for Calligraphy and Write), Tools for Disguise, Tools for Enchanting(Expendable),

Property: A small Cottage

Spells: Cat's Eye, Mask, Havoc's Hand, Delirium Tremens

Weapons: I'll fill out stats later, I'm still reading the book.

Bare Fisted

Superior Bow
    Last edited by Loki_42; 2012-11-02 at 05:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

Looks good Loki, I'll run through the numbers later this evening. On beliefs, if possible, try to have one belief about another character, one about a relationship or item, and then one long term belief. If you wish, talk between yourselves to work on beliefs, that way they'll be tied into each other.

Let's aim for playing by Wednesday at the latest.