New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Default Abandoned Mining factory Suggestions

Ok so there's like a million things I could use as suggestions right now.

Essentially what I'm working on is a 3 floor Abandoned Mining Facility, and I'm working on potentially dangerous traps for it at the moment.

Floor 1: Pre-dominantly metal floored, you enter the mechanical part of the facility. The only thing that's still here is Clockwork Prospectors, tinkering away on metal bits, or hitting the rock walls with pickaxes. They're hostile, but only if they see you.
    As for other enemies on the floor, there's a well-placed Large Fire Elemental in a furnace which will only come out if they investigate the furnace. In the chance they ignore it, the elemental will burn the ropes on the elevator that goes down to floor 2, causing them to instead drop to floor 4, making everyone inside take 4d6 damage, provided a wizard doesn't cast feather fall on the elevator.

As for floors 2 and 3, I've got nothing. however the boss on floor 2. The Mid-Boss is on Floor 4.

What I'd like suggestions on is what kind of magical items could I put on various dead workers scattered about the facility? I can't really think of any magical items I could just put around the area.

Also if anyone's got any ideas for traps, I'd like those too, because the best one I can come up with is a "Minecart of doom"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfPirate

Default Re: Abandoned Mining factory Suggestions

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...ous-excavation

Wands of Expeditious excavation. Cure Lights too; always good to have a 1st aid kit.

Don't forget the picks and shovels that grant +5 enhancement bonuses to Profession (miner) checks in addition to the +2 competence bonus from it being a Masterwork item.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Feralventas View Post
    http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-sp...ous-excavation

Wands of Expeditious excavation. Cure Lights too; always good to have a 1st aid kit.

Don't forget the picks and shovels that grant +5 enhancement bonuses to Profession (miner) checks in addition to the +2 competence bonus from it being a Masterwork item.
    I typically enjoy the idea of the Wand. I could even place it in a "In case of emergency" type of glass container for hilarity. The picks, however, aren't very useful to the party, outside of being scrappable for raw materials. However, just for sheer giggles, one of the clockworks could have a +2 Keen Pick as a nice little nugget of income...

Anyone got anything else? Floor 1 is all metal and a "Boiler room" of sorts.

Floor 2 is a well-excavated area with old, worn-down mining equipment.

Floor 3 is a really wide open room with lots of steep edges.

Floor 4 is the bottom floor which is filled with methane, which a perception check of 19 reveals.

Some interesting monster ideas for the place wouldn't hurt. Anything that fit in the theme of Clockwork/Underground/Volcanic/Mud/Dirt/Metal, etc, etc.

I considered rust monsters, but then realized my fighter PC is the only person wearing anything remotely metal.
    I could still totally go for more potentially dangerous traps/items/etc, etc.
    Last edited by Duboris; 2012-10-09 at 02:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

A form of rebreather that filters dust and harmful chemicals to an extent.
    Mechanics: Makes you immune to gas based poisons and other gas based effects for a number of rounds depending on the severity of the effect. Cleans itself once per day.

Strenght enhancers (untyped bonus), only usable in 1 round bursts with cooldown. Originally used to allow the workers to lift or maneuver heavy objects in there.

Flashlights of some kind.

Emergency Noise Creator: Consumable
    Emits a deafening noise (Fort save negates) in a radius of 10ft.
    Original Use: Signal of someone being in trouble as sound should carry well in a mine.

Each worker has a watch. These watches are all synchronized and never stray from one another as they were made to for always having workers know when to expect explosions etc.
    My first foray into homebrew: The Circuit Mage

. /l 、
    ° (゚、 。 7
    .  l、゙~ヽ
      じ しf_, )ノ

Pudgy kitty needs more views

Active Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Bonehoarder - Necromantic Skeleton Shapeshifter
    Tahrven Millos - Arcane Hierophant
    Hordemaster Kordan - Ebon Initiate ... mostly