New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [MLP] Roleplaying is Magic IC: The Broken Road.

Quote Originally Posted by One Tin Soldier View Post
    "I see," she said, nodding slowly. A wave of despair rose inside of her, but she pushed it aside. All of that could wait until later. She turned to the guard and turned to her usual recourse in times of stress: conversation.

"You know, we never did get your name," she said.
    "Igneous Bluffs, ma'am. Son of Rocky Mountain." Replied the guardpony, giving Grease a salute. "Everypony calls me Iggy, or at least the ones that don't call me something else! Like Rock-head, or Dumb Rock, or Rock-for-Brains or ..."

He looked like he could go on for quite some time.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

The mare raised a hoof to indicate that he didn't have to continue. "Yes, I think I get the idea. I'll stick to Igneous, I think."

"And would you look at that. Mr. Crown Cork has joined us in reality, it seems. Though you ran pretty well for a dreaming pony."
    One Tin Pony avatar by Balmas

Current Projects: Dragon: the Inheritance

3. - Top - End - #303
    Firbolg in the Playground

The helmet wobbled, its unusual size and shape causing some mild discomfort. Still, it was better than carrying it; he needed his hooves for writing and such.

He pulled the notebook from his packs, and used it to smooth an area in the sand before beginning to sketch.

"We have some kind of building a days journey that way, with a gulch of some sort two days further out." He drew in a train, a triangle, and a squiggly line in the sand. "Some kind of stone structure two days that way, and a possible oasis a day past that." Again, drawings took their place in the sand. "Finally, we have a possible oasis two days that way, but it seems to have some kind of camoflauged sand lizard living there."
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well then, we'd better make sure we gather plenty of supplies before we leave. Oh, and while we're at it, we should check the train and see if any of the other passengers are here. I don't want to leave anyone behind by accident."

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Now that he was acutely aware of the situation, Crown Cork's world felt more dreamlike than it had just moments ago. Because really, how could they be in a desert?

Whatever viciously assaulted the train teleported you here.

And what about that dream-like cloud of magic?

Some sort of leftover spell from the trip here.

But...but what about all that business in Canterlot? The announcement?

That was a dream, in all likelihood.

Speaking of...how was he going to get back? He couldn't be in a desert, he had to be in Manehatten now, waving good-bye to their butler as he raced back to the station. He had to be on a train soon, they had a seat waiting for him. In a few hours, he'd meet his dad just before the press conference, he'd promised him a coffee just before he left. The young business pony's lip quivered, world going blurry as his eyes watered-

No.

-and instead of crying, he planted a hoof firmly in the sand. Shaking, sweating, he pulled himself upright. A Cork did not lay weeping in the dust like a mewling foal. A Cork did not lie down and wait for the Pale Rider to take him to the Great Beyond. A Cork faced certain peril on his hooves, with a smile on his face and a song in his heart. A Cork led all in his company back home once again, to the blue skies and lush fields of Equestria. And why was that?

"Because the need is dire and we are able," the colt grunted out one of the Cork family maxims. His spirit renewed (for the time being), he joined the others around Dive Bomb's sketchbook. "Yes, it seems as though running for one's life just takes the proper motivation," he jested at the older mare. But soon the levity was gone from his face, and he was studying the "map" intently. "It would seem our obvious choice is the stone structure. It has shelter and guaranteed supplies, something the other two locales do not grant."

"Two of us should gather and prepare supplies, while two of us search for and aid survivors."
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

"Okay." Replied Iggy. Looking between the assembled ponies he started pointing with a hoof and silently counting. "Heyyy ... there are five of us here, doesn't that leave somepony out?"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot looked confused. "I'm sorry?" she counted over their number and arrived with 5. "We're not missing anypony as far as I can figure, at least of those that were with us when we teleported."
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

"He said 'two to find supplies, and two to search for anypony else'." Iggy replied. "Now, I wasn't born yesterday, no sir-ee, my birthday is one hundred and fifteen days from now ... so I know that two and two is four!"

Just to double check, he counted his hooves.

9. - Top - End - #309

The helmet received another buff as Dive Bomb pulled it off his head. It was way too hot out here. Well of course it is, the logical, snarky voice cut in. It's a desert. He swiped the thought from his mind and the sweat from his brow.

"There's no guarantee that the structure will be inhabited," he said quietly. "I saw no life, and frankly wouldn't expect it in this desert." But what about that lizard by the oasis? It seemed to be getting along fine. Hush up you, he snapped.

"Water will be key," he stated as he plunged the burnt sparkler stem upright in the sand. "Soot is getting food, I think." He squinted and aligned his notepad with the respective landmarks, placing it on the ground next to the stick in the ground before marking the shadow's location on the ground.

He scrubbed away at some tension in his neck, staring at the shadow. This would take a few hours, time that they might not have in this heat. And who knew how the others would react to being trapped in a hostile environment for hours with nothing to do? Oh, wouldn't it be nice to be back at home, playing chess with-- He shook himself brusquely. Only bad feelings lay in that route; better to focus on the task at hand. Unfortunately, that task was excruciatingly boring, literally staring at a shadow in the sand.

Alternatively... "Do any of you have a watch?" he asked. Who knew that those old merit badge courses could do so much good?
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Cork followed the guard pony's counting, flushing deeply when he came to Soot. "Oh. Yes. Of course, five. That's what I meant. Two on supplies, three on rescue. I...ah...didn't quite see Soot from...well...behind him." He winced for the inevitable pounce, slap, or other such physical retribution for his mistake.

EDIT: "I believe I have my pocketwatch in my luggage!" The colt quickly added. Perhaps an excuse for Soot not to hit him.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-24 at 05:45 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311

The Pegasus smiled in relief. Oh, thank Celestia. "May I use it?"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Soot raised her eyebrow at Cork's discomfort what the hay is his problem? she thought as he volunteered his pocket watch. Suddenly the events of the conflict of the past day connected with her recent threat to the business colt's health connected. Ohhhh... He's still worrying about that? Sheesh touchy. she gave an amused smile as she shook her head.
    "Relax Corky, I'm not going to kill you for every mistake you make." She trotted back towards the dining car. "Just the ones that severely inconvenience me." she added, laughing to herself at his expense.

"As for supplies, I found a good bit of food in the dining car, plus some white cloth for the sun, and water, though we could use some more containers to carry it in." she went to get her sackful of supplies.
    Avatar based on artwork by Jabari Weathers

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

First he was relieved, and then he was confused, and then he was concerned all over again. Eventually, his mind settled on 'half-baked rebuttal' as the proper response. "My name is Crown or Mister Cork, if you don't mind," he called out, only the filly was already gone. His wit must've still been bamboozled from the teleport.

"And yes, I just need to fetch my pocketwatch from my luggage. Do excuse me a moment." The colt trotted back over to the cabin car, at least that was where he last remembered having his suitcase.

(Leaving it open just in case the luggage is not there)
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-24 at 09:18 PM.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease nodded. "Sounds pretty good so far. Now what you say we get back in the train and out of this sun? I'll look for other ponies, though I'll keep an eye out for supplies while I do so."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ravian View Post
    "As for supplies, I found a good bit of food in the dining car, plus some white cloth for the sun, and water, though we could use some more containers to carry it in." she went to get her sackful of supplies.
    "I'll come with you!" Replied Iggy, happily trotting off after her.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    First he was relieved, and then he was confused, and then he was concerned all over again. Eventually, his mind settled on 'half-baked rebuttal' as the proper response. "My name is Crown or Mister Cork, if you don't mind," he called out, only the filly was already gone. His wit must've still been bamboozled from the teleport.

"And yes, I just need to fetch my pocketwatch from my luggage. Do excuse me a moment." The colt trotted back over to the cabin car, at least that was where he last remembered having his suitcase.

(Leaving it open just in case the luggage is not there)
    The suitcase was indeed there. Almost everything that had been aboard yesterday was still there today, albeit knocked about as if through a rough landing.

16. - Top - End - #316

Nodding at Grease, Dive Bomb gingerly placed the helmet in the sand to mark the location of the impromptu sundial, and then trotted behind them to the train car. What a mess, he thought, disgusted at the sprawl of chaos before him. Then again, they had been magically teleported thousands of miles or more. He considered getting a salad from the dining car, paused in the diner car, but decided against it; they'd have to make those supplies stretch.

As he walked through the car behind Cork, he slid each door open, looking to see if he couldn't find any other survivors. Now that's an odd word to choose. Why would he think that? He shook it off, picking up an acrid-smelling crust of dandelion sandwich, and depositing it in the trash.

How had they even been deposited in their cabins anyway? By all accounts, they should have been in the other car, where they'd been when they were flamed. If they'd been teleported here by a dragon, it was a remarkably considerate one.

He peered over the shoulder of the earth pony, looking for the watch. The sooner they got out of the desert, the better.
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-24 at 10:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    The suitcase was indeed there. Almost everything that had been aboard yesterday was still there today, albeit knocked about as if through a rough landing.
    *snap snap* went the metal clasps on the suitcase. There was an example of fine Equestrian engineering; it got teleported halfway across the world, and it still worked like a dream. The padding had kept most of his paints from spilling, emphasis on most. Some of his blues and greens had not been so lucky. But the rest of his knick-knacks - his now-useless scarf and boots, his easel, his sketching pencils - were all unharmed.

Crown plucked out the pocketwatch, examining it in the sunlight. A finely-made timepiece, this one, a gift from his father at that. When was that? Four...no, five years ago? He'd made some sort of new promotion at the family business, and it just so happened to be close to his birthday. The party was a good one; all his friends and family had shown up, though he hadn't met his sweetie yet...

The young businesspony hurriedly stuffed the watch away and shut the suitcase tight, suddenly becoming acutely aware of the pair of eyes watching over his shoulder. With great trepidation (and an awkward cough into his hoof), he passed over the pocketwatch. "Do be careful with that. I should like to have it back in...as few pieces as possible."
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-24 at 11:09 PM.

18. - Top - End - #318

The green pony nodded, accepting the watch carefully. "No cause for alarm," he said calmly. "Just a bit of navigational science."

He made his way outside, nudging aside debris as he went, to where the helmet lay next to a burnt stick. He looked up again at the sun, shielding his eyes from the radiant celestial sphere and opened the pocketwatch. His tongue stuck out a bit in concentration as he aligned the small hand of the watch with the sun; the shadow from his pencil helped in that aspect. Was the notepad still in alignment with the landmarks? Good. With the imaginary line at the twelve, that meant that North was halfway between the two.

Noting the direction on the map, he moved on to the makeshift sundial. If he'd done this right, then the two results should be similar, if not identical. By now, the shadow had moved a little; it was sufficient for his purposes. Carefully, he stowed the pocketwatch in his right saddlebag, far away from the chemicals in the left. The scarf should provide a nice layer and prevent scratches.

With a sparkler stick at one point and another where the tip of the shadow currently lay, Dive Bomb was ready. He scratched a line in the sand between the two points, and then stood facing the line. How did Good Deed put it? He had this mnemonic... "Ah," he muttered as the memory came back. He'd have to write the key in the notebook. Now, the real test: were the two results the same?

Spoiler
    Show
    Making a check to find true north. +5 mind, with a possible +1 from Researcher letting him know how to find true north.

(1d20+5)[21]

((@V: He isn't. He's turning the watch itself until the hour hand faces the sun. It is a bit unclear, though, from my description.))
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-24 at 11:56 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

"Ohhhhh dear...there aren't any clocks out here. How am I ever going to get it on the correct time now?" Crown moaned as Dive Bomb ruthlessly twisted the dials.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-24 at 11:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

[Check passed, DC 15. Researcher doesn't apply.]

The results matched, between the shadow and the watch, they located the triangular building as being due south of their position.

21. - Top - End - #321

Satisfied with the redundancy of his tests, Dive Bomb solidified the compass rose on the map, and considered sketching a new map. After all, they were probably going to be here for a while. Ignoring your subconscious is hard work, but Dive Bomb was trying; he'd figure out what had happened, get home, and keep doing research. Hay, this might as well be an extension; he'd been looking to go and find new cures in far places, and it didn't get much further than outside the country.

With the sparklers gingerly returned to their cardboard tube and the helm wobbling on his head, Dive Bomb strode back to the moaning earth pony. "Thank you," he said, unwrapping the watch and folding the navy-and-yellow scarf back into his saddlebags. A patch of green, gray and gold on the sand caught his eye; the picture must have fallen out of its hiding place in his scarf. He quickly picked it up and tucked it in the pack as well.

Returning his attention to the earth pony, he proffered the watch. "Whole and unchanged. We now know which way is North."

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

While the two colts were outside, Grease Spot searched through the cabins, looking for anyone who might be on the train, and any containers that could work for holding water.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mind check for search: 16+5=21

With her mind no longer directly occupied by conversation or immediate planning, she could not prevent herself from thinking about the bigger picture of her situation. She was far away from everything and everyone she knew, with very little idea how to do anything about it. I don't even have the foggiest idea where I am. I really don't know geography that well outside of Equestria. Sure, I had a class on it back in secondary school, but I can barely remember it now. We might be out in the desert past the Mild West, but I'm really not sure. We could just as easily be on the other side of the world. No matter what, we're not getting back any time soon. With that thought, tears welled up in her eyes. By the Princesses, I'm... I'm supposed to be with my family right now. They must all be out of their minds with worry. With the attack, it must look like we were carried off or something. They'll be out searching for us right now. She could see in her mind as clear as day, pegasus guards scouring the mountainside for any sign of the missing section of train, growing more discouraged with each passing hour. By the time we will get back, they'll think we're all dead.

The thought struck her like a lightning bolt, and caused her moist eyes to immediately overflow. She planted her face in a pillow, glad that she was by herself in the empty sleeper cabin. It wouldn't do to break down like this in front of the teens. Or the guard for that matter. Everypony had to stay rational during the crisis, and having them see the most responsible adult there burst into tears would play havoc with morale. But while she had some privacy, she let herself get washed away by the helplessness of the situation for a short time.

Once she was done with her moment, Grease took a series of deep breaths, calming herself for public appearance. She cleaned up her face as best she could, though her eyes still looked a bit puffy. She had never been the sort of mare to carry makeup with her, or else she might have been able to do more about it, but it would have to do. It would go away on its own after a while, and hopefully if she put on a brave face it wouldn't show too much. Once she felt ready, she walked back out of the cabin and continued her search.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

The solitary walk through the carriages did little to alleviate Grease Spot's mood. In the forward carriages, there were signs that pointed towards frantic activity in the final minutes before ... it had happened - sheets and pillows thrown clear from bunks, a cabinet open with the padlock tossed aside, even some sandwiches, complete with bite marks, that had fallen to the ground next to a table where a book about steam engines still lay open.

Now, though, everything was still. Dust motes floated lazily through the air, disturbed only by the eddies and currents caused by Grease's passage ... her only company being the sound of her hoofsteps or the creak of cabinets as she searched.

The dining cars had been thoroughly ransacked by Soot, a small pile of equipment had been put together but she'd done well to locate the few containers that were already cleaned and set aside. Everything else seemed ill suited to carrying water over long distances, such as pots, pans and buckets, or, in the case of the heavy drinking water dispenser itself, was securely bolted to the wall.

Eventually, Grease opened one last door and found herself looking back out into the sandy wastes, the blue sky above her. The final carriage, the private car, had broken cleanly away from the rest of the train and a few meters of sand separated it from where Grease now stood.

The carriage itself looked like it had come down hard, bits of the roof and woodwork were cracked and the rear end of the caboose was buried in the dune, its forward door shut and pointed towards the sky.

[OOC: Soot has already searched the train for water containers, repeating the search won't yield additional results. Body Check, DC 10 to climb up to the door]

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

Grease looked up at the door to the caboose. Well, just one last car to check. I'll just pop in, take a look, and meet back up with the others. It seems like we were the only ones who were teleported here. She walked around the caboose to the rear, and began clambering up the roof.

Spoiler
    Show
    Body 4 + Athletics 3
    13+7=20

She reached the top without difficulty. Once there, she attempted to open up the door and peer inside.

25. - Top - End - #325

Hmm. Dive Bomb reached back and scratched a bit of sand out of his cutie mark. This desert was worse than the smoke-stack; grit was in his fur, and he felt the irritating rub of sand in his secondaries. Shaking his wings only stirred up more dust, and he sneezed a bit. What he wouldn't give for a cloud right now, if only just to wash away the sand.

He paused, mouth spread open mid-sneeze. There was an idea... Out came the much-loved notepad, and Dive Bomb began to scratch some figures. If we assume minimal amounts of dissipation, account for the sol-blasted heat that pervaded everything, then maybe, maybe he could form a cloud to take any water they couldn't bottle. He scanned the skies, looking for any clouds that already existed.

A flash of blue in his peripheral vision attracted his attention; why was Grease Spot climbing that train car? Oh, of course; she wanted to get inside. It would have been easier if she'd asked him, but he could respect that. If anything happened, he'd be there.

((OOC: Are there any clouds in the sky?))

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Crown Cork eagerly took back his pocketwatch, squinting against the glare as he thoroughly inspected every inch of it. "Sand positively everywhere, but I suppose a little dusting inside should sort that out. No new scratches...yes, yes, all very good." It wouldn't be if it was out in this heat and grit much longer; back to the suitcase for his little timepiece. As he turned, his eyes spotted the guard and Miss Spot doing some little song-and-dance over by the armored caboose.

The earth pony's eyes widened in fright. "Mister Highwind! His guards! I don't think either will take kindly to this, not in the slightest!" He whirled about to Dive Bomb, pointing to the train car with the supplies. "If you could assist Soot with the food and water, I must away to assist in the rescue of our griffon friends!" Without waiting for a reply, Crown took off into the train. His pocketwatch was left on his bed, by his suitcase, and then he was off for the caboose, taking the final leap to the door in his usual dramatic fashion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Body check to climb up to the door:
    Body 2: (1d20+2)[4]

Sadly, the landing straight into the hot sand was far less graceful than he'd hoped.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-10-25 at 03:32 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ettin in the Playground

Grease looked up at the door to the caboose. Well, just one last car to check. I'll just pop in, take a look, and meet back up with the others. It seems like we were the only ones who were teleported here. She walked around the caboose to the rear, and began clambering up the roof.

Spoiler
    Show
    Body 4 + Athletics 3
    13+7=20

She reached the top without difficulty. Once there, she attempted to open up the door and peer inside.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    The earth pony's eyes widened in fright. "Mister Highwind! His guards! I don't think either will take kindly to this, not in the slightest!" He whirled about to Dive Bomb, pointing to the train car with the supplies. "If you could assist Soot with the food and water, I must away to assist in the rescue of our griffon friends!" Without waiting for a reply, Crown took off into the train. His pocketwatch was left on his bed, by his suitcase, and then he was off for the caboose, taking the final leap to the door in his usual dramatic fashion.

Sadly, the landing straight into the hot sand was far less graceful than he'd hoped.
    The sight of Crown Cork attempting to fly was a momentary distraction to Grease's attempts to open the carriage door. Unfortunately for Cork, the sand was rather hot and hard as it met his face. Unfortunately for Grease, the door refused to open, being either stuck or locked.

[Cork, take a point of fortitude damage for faceplanting it in the hot sand ]

Quote Originally Posted by Balmas View Post
    [I]He paused, mouth spread open mid-sneeze. There was an idea... Out came the much-loved notepad, and Dive Bomb began to scratch some figures. If we assume minimal amounts of dissipation, account for the sol-blasted heat that pervaded everything, then maybe, maybe he could form a cloud to take any water they couldn't bottle. He scanned the skies, looking for any clouds that already existed.

((OOC: Are there any clouds in the sky?))
    The sky was clear and blue, the air dry and hot, it was hardly suitable weather for moisture farming. While there were pegasus techniques for creating cloud out of moisture vapor, the difficulty was much harder in situations where they had to scour the air for anything to build with, or attempt to structure the cloud such that it wouldn't evaporate within minutes.

There really was quite a lot about weathercrafting that most ponies would just take for granted.

[OOC: No clouds. Given the dry air, conjuring a tiny cloud (i.e. enough to carry a day's supply for one pony) to last the day would be a DC 30 weathercrafting check. Anything larger and you're talking DC 40 or higher.)

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Well then, looks like I can't just open the door. Bucking it down would just end with me falling in, potentially hurting myself. Not to mention giving anyone potentially inside a big scare. She looked down at Crown Cork, face-down in the sand. Despite the serious situation, she had to fight down an amused grin. Actually, there's a much easier way to go about this. "Hey, Crown," she called down, "If you're alright, could you get a look in a window down there?"

For that matter, if anyone's awake in there, it will probably help to let them know we're here. She knocked on the horizontal door, feeling a bit odd. "Hello? Is anypony in there?"

29. - Top - End - #329

Of course. My life would be too easy if there were already clouds. The pegasus chuckled quietly, their situation darkly humorous. Sure, they were stuck Princess-knows-where, but as long as they had their humor, they could survive. Well, humor and food.

He trotted into the dining car, glanced at the accumulated pile of food, and trotted out. That unicorn filly was a good scavenger, and the older mare had already gone through anyway. He poked around for a minute, but decided that they had done a good job; he wasn't able to find anything else.

The tuft on the helmet grazed the top of the door frame as he exited the final car, reflecting on how very few ponies ever got to see the underside of a train car close up. He flew up and hovered beside the earth pony mare. "Any luck?"
    Last edited by Balmas; 2012-10-25 at 04:36 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

Well then, looks like I can't just open the door. Bucking it down would just end with me falling in, potentially hurting myself. Not to mention giving anyone potentially inside a big scare. She looked down at Crown Cork, face-down in the sand. Despite the serious situation, she had to fight down an amused grin. Actually, there's a much easier way to go about this. "Hey, Crown," she called down, "If you're alright, could you get a look in a window down there?"

For that matter, if anyone's awake in there, it will probably help to let them know we're here. She knocked on the horizontal door, feeling a bit odd. "Hello? Is anypony in there?"
    "Yes?" Came back a wary female voice. "Who's there?"

The curtains to the windows were drawn, what little could be seen through the gaps seemed to just be a jumble of furniture.