New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Rogue/Wizard Multiclass. Is this feasible?

So, I'm currently playing in a campaign as a changeling rogue. Mainly cause I think it'd be cool, I want to access some arcane power and sling some magic along with being a rogue. So I've been wondering if there's any arcane class that would work with a rogue or if this is something that would best be given up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Rogue/Wizard Multiclass. Is this feasible?

Sure. The sorcerer relies on dexterity and the bard on charisma, either of which should be a high stat for you. The former is more blasty, the latter more buff/debuff. If you don't mind spending two feats on it, I would recommend one to multiclass and one to swap out your least favorite encounter power with one from sorcerer or bard.

If you really want wizard, I recommend finding a spell that doesn't require attack rolls. For instance, the L1 daily Wizard's Fury.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Can you tell us a bit about your stats? Rogues that use Cha could benefit from a Warlock MC, Str would lean more towards Sorcerer. Wizards are Int based, which you're less likely as a Rogue to have a good score, with poor accuracy. Order Adept gives you access to Wizard utilities I believe.

One feat can give you arcana training, and an extra encounter power. Chalock's have some debuffing and damage, Sorcerer is more about spreading the hurt around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

There are Int-based rogues out there, though it's not a strong suit for them and it's probably not what you're going for as a Changeling.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    There are Int-based rogues out there, though it's not a strong suit for them and it's probably not what you're going for as a Changeling.
    Cunning Sneak is secondary neutral. There are no Int-based rogues.

As far as actual help goes, I second MC warlock, especially going through Pact Initiate (Fey Pact).

6. - Top - End - #6

PirateCaptain

If you get yourself to level 10, Blur is an absolute blowout for Rogues with a touch of ranged combat to 'em.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

There is a feat that let's you use any warlock At-Will as an Encounter power. Any number of ranged powers are good, Eyebite, Eldritch Blast, even Echoing Dirge could be handy. Eldritch Strike is a nice melee power, and Hand of Blight does good damage touch/range 10, and it sets you up with CA for the next round.
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Hmmm... Considering the fact that I have a charisma based rogue, warlock seems like a pretty good choice

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

My suggestion:

You take the Pact Initiate feat to multiclass Warlock (PHB 208), get a skill from Warlock's class that you find fluffy, take the Fey pact for Eyebite and access wands.
    Also, make sure that you have Quick Draw.

Explanation:
    Warlock spells rely on Charisma, which you say you do have. Eyebite is excellent for a Rogue, enabling possible hiding opportunities, disengagement opportunities, combat advantage opportunities, infiltration opportunities and others. Wands are crucial, since you won't be getting that many a spell, even if you waste spend feats on getting some magic powah. (I don't really consider it a waste, but if you want to go optimized and overpowered, that's about that). Wands are there to get you some Wizard, Artificier, Warlock, you name it, spells which you can use when they are needed, like a true master rogue. Also, Quick Draw to make it easier to splash out that Thunderwave or Witchfire without really needing to stand and prepare. You need it for ranged attacks with daggers or shurikens anyway.

Later, and here I assume your starting level is now 1, I'd suggest you pick up either Otherwind Stride (PHB, 3rd level) or Sprite War Call (Arcane Power, 1st level) encounter power. These are, in my opinion, the best amount of both being cool and not being weak. Otherwind Stride is especially rogue-ish. You'll figure out utilities and dailies later.

A mega cool thing is in Arcane Power, but you must be paragon multiclassing to a warlock as well (a lot of investment) and that is Walker in Gloom feat that gets you Warlock's Shadow Walk feature. Kinda nice, for a Rogue, especially if combined with some hiding utilities (in PHB 3, for Stealth) or feats, correct me if I'm wrong.

Equip yourself with a lot of items that are cheap and helpful, and make sure they're not mundane, but magical, to help your spellcaster appearance, but Kurald knows more about it. Man, I'd play this build now. Except that I'd be a Halfling. But nevermind that. Cheers!
    Last edited by Mandrake; 2012-10-10 at 02:05 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I really like the wands suggestion, it can add a lot of versatility to your character.

I would pick flashy and blasty spells; you don't really need warlock or wizard powers to generate combat advantage for you, the rogue can do that just fine with its own powers. Find something you cannot do within your own class, like forced movement.

Also note that statistically, if you normally attack one target with your weapon, it is completely fine to have a -2 or -3 lower to-hit bonus on a multiclassed area effect. You'll still hit more creatures on average (1 * 0.7 < 2 * 0.6, after all).

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

I had been thinking how you could get a pact blade and enjoy the weapliment, but wand's have so many bonuses. If I recall there is a feat or item that gives martial powers a boost if all arcane encounters are used up, which would be good for this character.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tegu8788 View Post
    If I recall there is a feat or item that gives martial powers a boost if all arcane encounters are used up, which would be good for this character.
    There's also several feats that give martial powers a boost period, which would be better for this character

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I'm sure there are. Feats, especially for martial characters, are not my domain.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

While I might not be able to multiclass for a little while, (I'm level 4 and my rapier proficiency along with my melee training in charisma are making me a force to be reckoned with) I'll certainly start looking into some magical items, since I already had my character express an interest in magic. I don't think it'd be to much of a stretch to want to pick up a wand in-character at that point.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by abdima View Post
    While I might not be able to multiclass for a little while, (I'm level 4 and my rapier proficiency along with my melee training in charisma are making me a force to be reckoned with).
    If your DM allows, you can get rapier proficiency for a background rather than for a feat (because at low level, you should have better feats to pick than increasing your damage dice).

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    If your DM allows, you can get rapier proficiency for a background rather than for a feat (because at low level, you should have better feats to pick than increasing your damage dice).
    Hmm... I might need to talk to him about that. Quick thing, how do backgrounds work? If I can explain it to him, I might have a better shot of convincing him about it.

17. - Top - End - #17

If you're coming up on paragon, take Arcane Trickster.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the thief who likes to hoard,
    That loves the bard with the puppet Lord
    That admires the fighter with the green-hilted sword,
    That employs the Wizard, whose bird is ignored,
    That has the gender unexplored
    That intrigues the Halfling, usually bored,
    That slew a mountain of the goblin horde,
    That follows the cleric,
    That serves the lich,
    That seeks the gate,
    That guards the snarl,
    That lives in the prison the gods built.

guess what I was gone but now I'm back

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm definitely gonna do that. Arcane tricksters seem really cool and useful.