New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Giovanni Chronicles

Benghi

"He does have quite the colorful company," Benghi agrees, a bit unnerved by the openly hungry stare Dimitra was giving him - he hadn't seen a woman with lusts as strong as that one, and something in her hunter did not really appeal to him. "but how do I and those I came with fit in? He has called us from any direction, with no particular interest to him.What can I offer him that he can't get easier and cheaper elsewhere? That Turk seemed to imply we were chosen for your convenience."
    Mr.Shizzles avatar by The Gremlin. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Andrei

Andrei's head rocked back slightly from the slap. The lady has an arm, he mused, touching his cheek as she left. Taking the silver back into his pouch, he then turned and looked at the room, picking his placements, and then began writing again in his tight handwriting. He then slid the parchment down and wrote a second message at the bottom. Using his longknife, he sliced the second message from the parchment and set both the knife and the message on the table. Slinging his bow and quiver, he started towards Al-Nasir and Lothar.

Contents of Notes 1 (the note for the servant) and 2 (the note cut from the parchment):

Spoiler
    Show

Note 1:

Thank you for helping. The Turk has decided to test me, to what end I do not know, but my future depends on victory. Your job in this consists of two parts. First, take the knife and the second note I have cut from the parchment to Lothar and Al-Nasir. Tell Lothar that after bragging about how I would defeat Al-Nasir, I propositioned you, but per your orders you refused to speak with me and, since you cannot read this note, brought it to him. Second, when you reach Al-Nasir, tell him that you hope he wins and direct his attention to the collection of chairs by the fireplace to his left. If he looks, step behind him with the knife. Do not do anything more than that, nor hurt either of them, since this is only a game. Also, do not worry about Lothar becoming angry. I will deal with him in that eventuality.

Thank you very much for your help. You have truly shown more Christian hospitality than any other person I've seen in this castle.

Andrei

Note 2:

I hope you like the look of this knife, whore. Because after I finish with the Turk and Lothar, I will carve your eyes out with it for insulting me in front of everyone.

Plans:

Spoiler
    Show

Andrei is headed for a nook behind a suit of armor on the wall opposite the fireplace. It's a good place to shoot from, but it's not as good, nor as close, as the spot by the fireplace that the servant is supposed to point at. In short, I'm assuming that there's more than one place from which I could shoot, I'm assuming that one place is ideal while the others are more distant and offer tougher shots, I'm assuming Al-Nasir knows that, and part of the servant's job is to give him exactly what he already expects by saying I went for the best possible shooting position. By contrast, Andrei is confident enough in his shooting that he'll risk a more difficult shot and a harder nook to get to if it's also unexpected for him to do so. If the other part works as well and she can actually slip behind Al-Nasir with the knife, well, then I win that way too.

That being said, he does plan on upholding his word to the woman. I don't anticipate Al-Nasir rejecting help, but if Lothar decides to get rough with her for interrupting, he had best bring his friend Roland Initiative with him to the dustup.

Dex + Stealth: Six d10. Specialty is inapplicable in this case.

(1d10)[5]
    (1d10)[2]
    (1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[10]
    (1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[9]
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2012-10-28 at 05:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Troll in the Playground

Solland nods his head feebly, still entranced by Wenceslas, the weight on his shoulders lifting off. He stands up, and follows Wenceslas to dinner, head hung low in shame.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Benghi

Spoiler
    Show
    Dimitra takes his arm, all but dragging him from the room.

"All shall be revealed at dinner. Do not worry what you can offer Claudius. It is what you will offer me that is far more important."

Andrei
    Spoiler
    Show

The servant scurries off, heading towards Lothar and Al-Nasir.

Seeming to enjoy the attention from one of the Earl's guests, Lothar looks annoyed as she approaches. His expression becomes more concerned as she explains things, and he roughly grabs the note from her, eyes scanning it.

The servant approaches Al-Nasir. This, then, was the moment of truth. Andrei can see that she does her job well. She only moves her head slightly, but the expert tracker whirls around to confront Andrei by the fireplace. it only takes him a second to realize that he had been tricked, but a second is all the ingenious servant needs. She places the knife at the back of his neck, casing the Turk to freeze.

Lothar is the first to react. He roughly pins the girl against the wall, fuming.
    "Remember your place wench! How dare you..."

Al-Nasir places a firm hand on the Steward's shoulder. "Now now Lothar. It would appear that my guest has gotten the better of me. Come out, please!" He locates Andrei and waves him over, a huge smile on his face.

"You have surpassed even my expectations. You utilized the tools available to you and passed my test! Well done! " Lothar looks annoyed, but the servant girl spares Andrei a shy smile before she departs. It would appear he has made a friend.

Spoiler
    Show
    Obviously I'm not expecting Andrei to be able to read all the dialogue above, but he should at least have a good idea what's going on.
    Scene's pretty much over. Al-Nasir shall be in a good mood and jest with Andrei until dinner. post any final thoughts you may have. And have 2 xp for good roleplaying and 1 more for a truly ingenious plan

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Andrei

Andrei relaxed his string arm and dropped his aim to the ground as the Turk spotted him. Whatever else he had to say about the Turk, he was very, very fast. Probably faster than me. When he had seen the serving girl drop the blade on Al-Nasir, he was up, moving towards the trio and nocking an arrow even as Lothar made contact with the girl. Had he raised a hand to her, Andrei would have put an arrow through it. But before he could even finish aiming, the Turk had moved between Lothar and Andrei and blocked the shot, to say nothing of calming Lothar down to judge by his facial expressions. He approached and nodded to Al-Nasir as he came close.

Waving for the serving girl to remain momentarily, he reached for the remaining piece of parchment and, folding it, began to write two new notes. Then, pushing the piece to Al-Nasir, he pointed to the serving girl and Lothar while looking at the Turk and opened his mouth in exaggerated fashion.

Spoiler
    Show

Note 1:

Miss,

You have done a most excellent job, showing true bravery. In payment, I give you this necklace. Attached is a claw from the largest bear I have ever seen. It attacked me and, but for my brother's courage, would have slain me. I have kept it as a reminder about the value of courage and skill and now, I give it to you. Wear it with pride.

Andrei

Note 2:

Lothar,

I sincerely apologize for my designs. They were unworthy of your hospitality, and it was only through trying to be hospitable to me that this serving girl drew your ire. If you must be angry, be angry only with me, for it was my plans that she carried out and only for the sake of being a gracious host that she did so. She did no wrong, and showed great initiative in doing so. In payment for this initiative, I have given her a small token of my esteem. Please allow her to wear it with pride.

Andrei

Andrei, of course, left unsaid all of the rather choice comments he could have made about Lothar's hospitality. As Al-Nasir looked at the note, he unclasped his necklace with the pendant and, incidentally, the pouch of silver. Drawing it into a bundle, he handed it to the serving girl.
    Last edited by McStabbington; 2012-10-28 at 11:47 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Adam

Frowning at his fellow lord's words Adam approached Casamir as he brought the water bowl. Resist? He'd not done anything in the first place. Distantly Adam noted he did not move to match his apparent age. Well such things were only rough guides anyways.

Adam gave a smile at idea why would he what ridiculous request. No it was so ridiculous he would do it anyways just to spite the damn old man expecting him not to. He did as he please.

Adam pushed his face straight into the bowl.

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh why difficulty 8 this is still Contradict right, standard Thaum activation difficulties are [power's level]+3 which would make it 4 right? Not that it matters...
    Last edited by Soras Teva Gee; 2012-10-29 at 12:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Ogre in the Playground

Benghi

"Yes, yes, I'm coming," Benghi said, following the huntress. He was still feeling a little testy, and a bit uncertain what this was all about. Perhaps Dimitra meant he and the others were only here for the amusement of the Earl's guests. He hadn't heard of such eccentricity, but the man was rich and influential. Or perhaps it was just what Dimitra thought. He was probably not nearly as courteous as he should be, but she hardly acted like a noblewoman either. Or was she one? The Earl called her so, but then the Earl also called him "lord." It was like they were all playing a game, and he didn't know the rules.

Either way, she was right. He'd have to get to the dinner to get his answers. Frankly, by now he didn't care nearly as much. Do what is to be done and be away from this strange place, he thought.
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2012-10-29 at 05:37 AM.

8. - Top - End - #248

DrowGuy

Andrei
    Spoiler
    Show
    The servant girl looks astonished by the gift. So much so that she unexpectedly hugs Andrei, thanking him profusely. She places the necklace around her neck, looking proud.

"Thank you kind sir. I shall... I shall cherish it forever!"

Lothar looks annoyed, but says nothing.

Al-Nasir chuckles, not looking up from the first note. "You may have won the loyalty of that one forever." He hands the note to the servant. She reads it quickly, her eyes shining with gratitude. Apparently she is not given praise often, much less gifts.

Adam

Spoiler
    Show
    Try as he might, Adam cannot pull his head out of the water. Time passes, and the Count begins to drown. Just as his visions tarts to turn black, he feels hands on the back of his head. They quickly pull him out of the water. Casmir smiles triumphantly as Adam catches his breath.

"You see? Do you understand now? That, Lord Brandusa, is a testament to my power. Consider it. You were powerless to resist. If I wanted to, I could put your family in front of you and have you dissect them, all while you retained full awareness of your actions! I could have you jump to your death at this very moment!" His laugh is cold, but he quickly recovers his somber expression.

"This, then, is your first lesson. What you want is inconsequential. What you feel matters not at all. In the hands of a man like myself, you are as easy to direct as the peasant herds. Does that make you angry, knowing that your vaunted title cannot protect you from my power? If you desire to become the master of your own fate, you must master the dark arts. Only then can you truly be free of others control."

A servant walks in the room suddenly, bowing as he does so.

"Dinner is served, my Lords." Casmir dismisses him and turns to Adam, smiling again.

"Your first lesson is over. Your second shall begin at dinner. Come along."
    Spoiler
    Show

Scene's pretty much over, but feel free to post final thoughts. Have 2 xp for some good roleplaying.

9. - Top - End - #249

DrowGuy

Act1: Scene 3

The table is laid out with expensive plates and utensils. No food has come out yet, but the hosts seem excited anyway.

Father Dytel looks distressed. He crosses himself again and again, muttering the Lord's Prayer obsessively. Theophana holds his hand in what may be a comforting gesture.

Jurgen seems equally displeased. He continues to feel his face, as if to remind himself that it's still there. Gone is the man's arrogant demeanor. He looks positively terrified.

Marianna stares blankly ahead. Claudius sits be her side, joyously engaging her in conversation. She pays no heed to it.

Valdemar largely ignores Alenka, sparing her only a glance as she joins the table.

Mieczyslav jests with Stefan, seeming rather excited by the surgeon's actions.

Wenceslas praises the glory of Solland's painting. Perhaps he did not notice the hidden touches the artist had made.

Casmir remains mostly silent, only speaking to tell Adam to observe the room and the guests within.

Amisa smiles sinfully as Seth joins the table. Apparently her good mood has been restored.

Dimitra meanwhile can't keep herself off Benghi. She licks him again, in full view of all of the other guests.

Gabrin continues to throw his knife in the air. He hums a merry little tune to himself.

Bazajet continues to chat good naturedly with Andrei, inquiring about some of his hunts.

Isabella wakes up and finds herself sitting down at the table. Jadviga stares down at her reproachfully, but says nothing.

Observant guests notice that there are at least two dozen solders in the room. They seem to be watching the guests, eying them for any sign of trouble.

Lothar provides a distraction to this troubling news. He leads three other servants as they wheel in cart after cart of mouthwatering food. Duck, pork, beef and lamb are all the main entrees. The servants place food on all of the guests plates. Strangely, the food is not offered to any of the hosts.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll let you all reply before continuing. The climatic moment approaches.
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-29 at 03:56 PM.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabella

The darkness receded and the pain returned, now calm and controlled again she could not block it out.
    She was keenly aware of her blood matting on her back from the shallow and still active cuts - she could not keep the tears from her eyes.

She silently wished she was dead and kept her head down so as not to meet the gaze of any of the guests.
    She would not dine with the devil's minions.

She pushed herself slowly to her feet, and spoke in Romanian to ensure the table was aware of her intent noting the nearest lit candle on the table as she did so.

"Earl Giovanni, I fear I am unwell and not have dishonoured myself with my behaviour here tonight", she nodded apolitically to Jadviga "it has at times been less then civilised" she thought of the spit but it was also intended as the subtlest of digs at the northern woman who knew nothing of civilisation.

"Further I have confirmed with my own eyes that some of your guests are damned and owned by the lord of the pit", her breath was ragged as she winced in pain "and as such I will not dine with them", she paused in consideration "for any of you who have any fear of the lord I would suggest that you leave this place and seek penance... however the choice is yours", she knew she would not once she had her emotions under check much to her shame, it was simply not worth the effort to make enemies of this people over their evil master when she could seek the same vengeance easier for their treatment of her, but for now she would claim piety.

"By your leave as you extended courtesy earlier I will take my leave and return to Venice immediate to recover as best as I can from my illness", she finished with a deep and polity curtsy attempting to ignore the pain she was in, and made to leave in good grace and haste.

Spoiler
    Show

To conduct herself with Grace care to be allowed to leave unopposed, and perhaps convince others to leave also:
    Charisma + Etiquette: (6D10)[8][8][3][7][2][6](34)

I am not sure how damaged she is so instead of using a dice plenty above I am making a roll to see if she can power through her pain and bloodless to leave unaided, or if she will collapse.
    Stamina + Athletics: (3D10)[2][8][10](20)

I don't really expect these to be successful but it could influence how successful she is.

11. - Top - End - #251

DrowGuy

Isabella

A few of the guests laugh as Isabella begins to speak. The Earl refrains, but a large smile creeps onto his face as she talks.

"My dear, you cannot leave yet! Dinner is about to begin. Surely in your state a fine meal and some nice wine would be the perfect remedy for your condition," he gestures to the mouthwatering tray's of food.

"As for the reputation of my guests, I would have you know that the Lords and Ladies sitting at this table are some of the most esteemed members of society I have ever met. It is an honor to eat with us girl, so sit down and feast!" It is not a request.

Jadviga looks irritated. "Your rebelliousness prevents you from becoming a leader. Perhaps I could mold you into one, but it would take a lot of commitment and time. Such a shame."
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-29 at 08:29 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Titan in the Playground

Seth
    Seth sits down next to his host, the cat hopping down from his arms to curl about his ankles. As Isabella begins to speak, he glances to Amisa, eyes flashing with anger.
    "You threw me in a coffin and buried me alive!" he whispers.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

13. - Top - End - #253
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alenka sits herself down next to her "host" and spends the remaining time in silence. She offers the token polite smile if anyone meets her gaze for nothing but the sake of etiquette, while plans formulated in her head to flee this wretched place at the first opportunity. Though station anointed her with many privileges, one of the most insidious responsibilities was that of saving face. To simply walk out on the earl now could bring ruin to any future economic plans she had, and that would send her small section of Europe into crisis. Avoiding such a terrible future was her number one priority, however much discomfort it inflicted upon her.

She says nothing to Valdemar. She says nothing to the other guests. She says nothing to the other hosts. For all intents and purposes the bright spark in her eyes had faded and she seems apprehended by her own thoughts: the prior scene of living shadows repeating itself in her mind and tormenting her confidence and security.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

Solland looked around him, the sadness on his face turning to concern for the others, understanding that he was not the only one who had had a troubling evening. This was no doubt the den of evil that Brother Clement claimed it be, but was it... were these people... truly demons? Did they exist more than in just the hearts of men?

He whispered to Sire Wenceslas. "Is she speaking the truth? Are you men and women, or something else? The way you convinced me to paint... how?" Solland politley eats some bread and duck, trying not to bring notice to himself from any of the other hosts or guests.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Adam had pulled off his hat unknowingly before and belatedly fixed it. The careful curl he'd arranged hung looser now, and a careful eye could see damp spots marring the Italian fashion and that the Count of Brandusa was breathing heavily. His face had resumed a mask of quiet dignity though, marred only slightly with a faint smile. He eyes followed the Lord Casamir like a hawk that had just spied a rabbit after a long winter spent hunting. Yet a look around the room brought a slight frown. The soldiers, the division and careful symetry.

"All of the 'guests' that were already here... they all share what you demonstrated don't they." Adam said to Lord Casamir then in a bare whispher, "And this is more then a mere social gathering..."

Certainly though Adam made no move to leave. He couldn't not now that was for sure. And the chance, that power. Something missing from the world and now he'd at least found a true sign. No mumbling of midwives or murmurer's trick of hand, but a sign of the deeper forces of the world. He'd never forgive himself for not seeing this through to the end now. Doubtless the armsmen would make that a futile effort in any case.

Taking a place Adam acquires some food to make a show of normal activity, but he spoke little and of nothing, eyes shifting about the room, watching everything.

16. - Top - End - #256

DrowGuy

Lady Amisa seems unphased by Seth's accusations. "I attempted to teach you a lesson. You failed to learn, so I had to use more... extreme methods."

Valdemar appears to be slightly impressed with Alenka's behavior. "I expected you to scream and beg, and yet you sit here, stoic but prideful. You may yet prove to be more than a disappointment."

Wenceslas is amused by Solland's question." You saw the power I wield. I am indeed divine. That is all you must know. The others have a certain degree of power, but none of them, NONE of them could make you love them like I have made you adore me."

Casmir nods. "Very observant, Lord Brandusa. I would not equate the other hosts with me, but we are all ...unique. They possess some small aptitude for the dark arts. You are correct in thinking that this is more than a social gathering. In truth, you were all summoned for one simple reason..."

Whatever that reason is will have to wait. Jadviga taps her wine glass and rises to her feet.

"I propose a toast! A toast to the brilliant leader who knows how to add flavor to our dining! A toast to the one clever and brave enough to attack his own kin for our benefit! To Earl Claudius Giovanni, and to the imminent destruction of Japheth Cappadocius! None of the guests recognize the name.

But the hosts appear to, as they join in with a loud cheer, calling on Claudius to make a speech. The Earl motions for silence, looking rather pleased with himself. When it is quiet, he rises.

"Welcome, my true friends, welcome! I am honored to dine with you all. I cannot think of better twelve to spend the evening with. I am pleased to announce that another year has passed and we stand on the threshold of victory. Your unfailing devotion to our cause has brought us to the brink of seizing Cappadocian power and wealth. My friends, I am in awe. We stand to become some of the most powerful beings in the world. And I owe this victory to all of you. Tonight is about rewarding such loyalty. Which brings us to our most valued guests." He turns towards them, all smiles.

"To those whom are new to our ranks, welcome. Your presence here has greatly enhanced the evening festivities. So let us talk about sustenance. Let us talk bout the drought of life that sustains us.

The smell of fine food and the anticipation of the meal makes the experience all the more gratifying. The circumstances of the meal are just as important as the quality of the food itself. Consumption is a holy act, and each drop should be memorable. The eater should have a relationship with their meal. Then when you bite a shred of flesh from your food, it's worth the blood you shed. Wouldn't you all agree
    ?'
    Last edited by Dark Seeker; 2012-10-30 at 01:00 AM.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    How much time has passed? I ask since Wenceslas's entrancement is only effective for an hour roughly.

Solland said nothing, hoping he'd be overlooked as usual. At first he only nodded solemly at Wenceslas's response, eyeing the cutting knife to the right of his plate. Days of practicing the sword in his youth filled his mind, dreams of fighting alongside Joan of Arc had been his dream as a youth, crushed by her early death.

18. - Top - End - #258

DrowGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd say it's been over an hour by now.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Alenka's skin crawled as the monster spoke to her. She did not know what supernatural powers were at his beck and call, but his peverse liscentiousness had so far ripped away her own shadow and used it as an instrument of torment.

"You are too kind." Alenka responded colorlessly.

Then, Claudius gave his address to the gathered - something about destroying someone and attaining some position of nigh-ultimate power over the lands or some-such boggled-eyed insanity. It was a speech that sprung from the brain of a meglomaniac, and one Alenka no longer wanted anything to do with. These lands were indeed curse that they should provide haven to such a band of bastards.

Once again, for the sake of saving face, Alenka nodded and added her agreement in the murmur of Claudius' confirmation.
    Last edited by BananaPhone; 2012-10-30 at 01:00 AM.
    "Of all the words by tongue and pen, by far the saddest are "I could have been...""

"The first rule of success is to have a vision. You see if you don’t have a vision of where you are going, if you don’t have a goal for where to go, you’ll drift around and never end up anywhere...can you imagine a majority of people don't know where they are going? I knew where I was going!” – Arnold Schwarzenegger

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabella

She stumbled as she stepped away from the chair and was caught by Giovanni's words, there would be no peaceful exit here, no hope of returning to Italy to continue her life in comfort.

She sat down her head lowered in defeat, prayers whispered on her lips ... in truth it was little more then an act her course was set, and this time it was guided by justice not anger.

As Jadviga raises to her feet and toasts Giovanni and the rooms attention is captured by the earl Isabella reaches out and knocks a candle into a greasy section of the table, "I forgive you, but I will not serve you" she said as she grabbed another candle and throw it at Jadviga.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

Seth
    "Pray tell me, what might that lesson be?" he asked, still whispering as the conversations and proclaimations continued around them.

"Because unless it is, 'never trust a woman who offers flesh, gold, and land in exchange for nothing', I'm afraid the message has been lost," he whispers, through clenched teeth.

The Earl was going on about something about a land called Cappadocia, but he'd never heard of it. His attention had only one true focus at the moment anyway, despite the efforts of the cat at his feet to distract him.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

22. - Top - End - #262
    Ogre in the Playground

Benghi

As he goes down, Benghi eyes the hall and the gathering with hidden interest. The last hour or so has been quite eventful and curious, and he imagines he will get some answers now. The more he sees, however, the more reasons he has to think he may not quite like these answers. There are a lot of soldiers here that weren't the last time. What reason may be for that, he wonders - the castle seems quite safe, and if an enemy was outside, should they be in the hall? Something darkly paranoid inside him whispers that no, if you think there may be trouble inside, that is where you post soldiers. Perhaps the host does not trust some of his guests - but his personal ones, or the newcomers? He sees little reason to think himself important enough, but perhaps some of the others... As he goes closely behind Dimitra, he loosens his cloth somewhat - which, among other things, might help if he had to draw one of the weapons he has, open and concealed.

Speaking of which, some of the people he came with do not seem to have enjoyed his host's company much. While he does not care that much about some of them, his mind momentarily wonders what might have happened to them during that time. His wasn't wholly pleasant, but some of them look downright miserable... The priest and the noblewoman near the Earl among them. He finds Dimitra's attentions somewhat unwelcome - at that time, and in that company, at least - and despite himself, feels his face reddening. Not that she gets the hint. And why were they being served before the Earl's other guests? "Hey, why are you serving us first, not the Earl's noble guests?" he whispers to the servant laying the plate. He doesn't really know much about etiquette, but he does not expect to be served before noblemen.

He seems genuinely surprised when the courtesan starts to speak out, but inside he feels quite alarmed. He harbors his doubts about Dimitra, but was willing to set them aside in the name of a good evening (or several) with the crazy woman. However, to have another speak out in such terms about other guests is alarming. Some of the things that Dimitra said to him come back in a new light he cannot help but find alarming. He tries to subdue a shiver at the touch of her tongue - however bad things may be, he does not want to show weakness like that to a woman. Especially that woman.

He listened attentively to what was being said around him, even as he ate - despite the exercise he did not seem to have a big appetite, so he ate sparingly. Instead he listened, and watched.

The Earl's... previous guests seemed to be in a good mood, he thinks. That Lady Jadviga seemed quite festive, but the toast she gave makes little sense to him. Who on earth was Japheth Cappadocius? The way she spoke made it seem like he was quite important, and that it took quite the guts from the Earl to stand up to him. And kin to boot? From what he knows, the Giovanni are a powerful family in Venice... mostly mercantile one - and quite insular. Who would this Cappadocius be, that he would be a part of them but not share the name? The name did not sound Italian, either. He had heard of Cappadocia as a land, maybe the man was a Greek? "Who is this Japheth?" he asks Dimitra quietly.

What the Earl speaks of makes little sense to him, personally. This was a conspiracy of some sort, certainly, but he couldn't help look confused at the mention of "most powerful men in the world." There were many a king and queen, Turk and Tatar, who commanded vast armies; for all the talk about the Giovanni riches and power, they were far from that. And how would the downfall of one of their Greek kin do anything to change that?

The change of the theme to sustenance confuses him more still. The talk of communion and other such stuff is a strange to him. He does not know much about heresy, so instead he nods along and furtively observes how the priest takes it. That, and what the escape routes may be - especially to one who has had little problems running and leaping across rooftops.

So he watches, and listens, and keep his hands close to himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception+alertness to overhear other people talking and notice other small details: (6d10)[8][3][10][2][6][8](37)
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2012-10-30 at 04:02 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Luca

Spoiler
    Show
    Hooray for university server farms and their generators!

Gabrin wasn't much for conversation, so Luca scanned his fellow guests. Some of them looked visibly distressed. "Join the club," he thought bitterly. Luca caught Lothar's watchful eye but restrained himself from outright mockery, though he did join the laughter when Isabella spoke out. "The monk's insanity must be venereal." Although... It wasn't much of a leap from sorcerer to satanist. Luca flashed a wary look at Gabrin, trying desperately to push the flames from his thoughts. Was this the answer he wouldn't like?

Cappadocian meant nothing to him, but the gist was clear. The good earl's distant relatives were about to grow a lot more distant. Claudius' segue from rewards to the guests was as abrupt as it was worrisome. "Their ranks? What?" As Giovanni rambled on, Luca kept his eyes on the earl, but his hand dipped into his right boot. He wrapped his fingers about the hilt and slowly drew it into his lap.

Spoiler
    Show
    While I doubt there are any greasy spots on the tablecloth, I'm sure that there is one. Hopefully, that will keep much of Luca's movement invisible to everyone except the two persons sitting next to him. One of which is Gabrin, but I'm feeling crazy.

Dexterity + Stealth = 7

(7d10)[8][10][7][10][10][8][3](56)

[/spoiler]

24. - Top - End - #264

DrowGuy

Wenceslas pays no attention to Solland, focused solely on the Earl's speech.
    Valdemar chuckles slightly at Alenka's response.

Amisa smiles coyly. "You still cling to your petty notions of purity and boundaries. I intended to aid you in moving past such things. Perhaps you may yet."

Lothar answers Benghi's question. "You are our guests. The Earl has decreed that you all eat before the hosts."

"Giovanni's brother," Dimitra responds, eyes never leaving the Earl.

As far as he is aware, Luca is able to stealthy grab his knife without anyone noticing. Even Gabrin appears not to have seen it, but one could probably never be sure with that man.

And then, there is chaos.

Isabella knocks a candle over in front of her, and instantly much of the table cloth goes up in flames. There is immediate pandemonium. Several of the guests near her react in horror, rushing to get away from the flames. Even Earl Giovanni takes a few steps back.

Isabella throws her candle at Jadviga. The noblewoman reacts in horror, barely managing to duck under the candle. It bounces across the floor harmlessly.

If the guests had only had to deal with their hosts, they would have stood a good chance of escaping. But sadly, this is not the case. The solders move in and restrain Isabella, not in the least bit afraid of the flames. As some of them put out the table cloth, Lothar moves towards the restrained Isabella and slaps her clear across the face.

"Bitch! I should kill you where you stand," he snarls, pulling out his sword and intending to make good on that threat.

"Lothar please. That is not necessarily." The Earl speaks, still looking a bit unsettled by the attack. He quickly regains his composure and smile.

"It would appear some of our guests are unhappy with our carefully prepared feast. Well if they don't accept my hospitality, perhaps the rest of you will. I think it is time for our own dinner." An excited cheer goes up across the room.

The Earl turns to Marianna. "My dear, would you please disrobe?" Still in a trance, she does so. Giovanni continues.

"It is time we told you guests our secret. You are our dinner. You are not here to be served. You are here to be served to us!" He laughs again, and a few of the hosts join in.

The guards begin to close in, weapons drawn, ensuring everyone remains in their seats.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

"Like hell I am!" Luca seethed. He never intended to take a blade for Golescu, and the same applied to cannibalization by mad Satanist nobles. He turned to Gabrin in horror, a distraction from the knife Luca brought to rest against his solar plexus. "No sudden moves, or I swear I'll do it," he whispered harshly. It would be a shame. After all, Luca had grown rather fond of Gabrin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Nrrrr... my meta-sense forbade me from actually sticking a knife in my would-be sire, but Luca is too angry to try and calmly negotiate.

Manipulation + Subterfuge = 8 (So Gabrin doesn't see what's coming)

(8d10)[2][10][7][7][2][8][1][10](47)

Dexterity + Melee + Knife Specialization = 9 (To place the knife where I want it to go)

(9d10)[7][2][4][8][7][8][9][4][3](52)
    Last edited by JonRG; 2012-10-30 at 06:59 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ettin in the Playground

Isabella

Her smile was exultant "Go ahead Lothar, it is your fault for me being here is it not" she cackled as she hit the floor where he slapped her, "you brought me here, handed me over to a sadist and expected me to let it go ... you never even bothered to figure out how I might respond" she smiled.

"You see I work for a living you moron, and allowed myself to be subject to certain indecencies is a cost of business, but personal abuse?", she smile turned into a sneer "you would have to be more foolish then your idiot mad masters to assume I would willingly submit to that without seeking vengeance".

She was attempting to goad him into killing her to avoid the slow death that Jadviga and Claudius likely had planed, "of course what could I expect from a simpleton that would beat his own servants for solving his problems", she referred to Roderigo, however she intended for Jadviga to hear also.

Turning to Jadviga while backing away from Lothar - if she could she would use the certain confusion to escape, she had opened their eyes the others could fend for themselves.

"Jadviga", she hollered at the woman in a sign song voice designed to be cruel and mocking "you wanted an answer on leadership, it is the art of getting things done using other people, you have achieved nothing tonight on that front where I have had your lord expose your little cable ahead of time and shown those that might be my allies that you are fiercely afraid of the fire while your servants care not for", laughing as she backed away "why is that do you fear the fires of the pyre above all I wonder".

In truth her madness was only half real, the other half an act.
    She wanted the others at the table to hear her thoughts on the fire ... and so follow her lead and use it as a weapon.

She also wanted to make the woman mad enough that she might attempt to trust her dark lord to protect her and simple step through the flames ... Isabella was fairly certain that such trust would be misplaced.

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show

I don't really want her to succeed on the getting killed front, but I suppose I should roll anyway for her intention.
    Wits + Empathy (Wounded -2): [rollv]5D10[/rollv]
    Enchanted Voice - 2 diff.
    Wits for thinking fast about the situation, empathy for pushing the right buttons based on their current emotional state.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2012-10-30 at 05:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Not sure why these rolls keep messing up, I think it might be rolling in an edited post.

Wits + Empathy (Wounded -2): (5D10)[10][9][9][1][4](33)
    Enchanted Voice - 2 diff.
    Wits for thinking fast about the situation, empathy for pushing the right buttons based on their current emotional state.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

Benghi

"Is this how a noble lord treats those he invites as guests?" Benghi says, as much to himself as to anyone else. His voice is sour as he looks at the table and what is happening before him. "Betrayal of guests makes a fine feast for further betrayals. And yet I'm supposed to be the dishonorable ruffian," he smirks. "Guess I'll die one," he says to himself, even more quietly, as looks at the sad tableau of the Earl and the disrobing woman. "Shame for such a woman."

((LMK if Benghi has been able to draw his knife without being detected and if he has a clear shot at the Earl. He takes betrayal and impending death personally.))
    Last edited by The_Shaman; 2012-10-30 at 05:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Stefan pays little attention at the beginning of the meal, merely playing with his cutlery idly and trying not to look at his stained hands. His stomach churns and twists inside of him as he finds himself thinking about what he has done, and how excited it made him feel. The doctor ignores Mieczyslav's japes and jests, muttering a few conversational pleasantries whilst wishing fervently that he had had the courage to say no to the nobleman - Ha! - and that he lacked the self-awareness to know that he would acquiesce again if asked.

The initial outbursts of his fellow guests makes little impression of Stefan, as he is too lost in his own problems to consider theirs. Giovanni's comments about the importance of 'consumption' and every 'shred of flesh', however, do manage to stir the doctor from his self-focused misery, and Stefan looks up, puzzled by the earl's exact meaning. The sudden burst of flame across the tablecloth and the animal panic of the earl's noble guests is stunning, and the removal of any remaining pretence of civility followed by Giovanni's unbelievably horrific revelation sends Stefan into his own blind panic. Without thinking the doctor stumbles back from the table, rooting around in his satchel until he whips out an unpleasantly serrated scalpel and brandishes it at nearby guards, looking for a way out. Unable to find an immediate escape route, Stefan glances back to Mieczyslav, his face a picture of confusion and despair.

"Why did you make me do it?! Was this all a game to you?!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception+Alertness to try and find a way between the guards that I can slip through if I'm nimble, Perception+Empathy to try and gauge what's going on in Mieczyslav's head.

Perception+Alertness (6): (6d10)[2][7][5][9][2][7](32)

Perception+Empathy (5): (5d10)[8][7][6][1][5](27)

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Andrei

Andrei had been writing a note to the Turk about the bear he had shot when all hell broke loose. At first, he had looked up quite annoyed with the harlot, but he stayed his gaze and peered intently at her. The first time he had seen her, he had been shocked that something so beautiful existed. Now, what stayed his eyes was how strained her actions seemed. As a hunter, one learns to watch the movements of an animal carefully, and he had seen the way animals would flinch or adjust to avoid moving an injured part. The way she drew herself up and jerked her arms in quick, spasmodic bursts had the exact same feel to it. While he couldn't see what was wrong, Andrei recognized exactly what the problem was: something's wrong with her back.

He had watched the repartee between the harlot and Giovanni with mounting horror. He had no particular love for the Venician, and any attraction had been driven out of him by the way she had casually sent the priest to what was very likely a death sentence for rape. But even as a hunter dealing with an animal, he would have offered more mercy and kindness than was in Giovanni's eyes towards this woman.

Andrei's memory flitted back to a time when Gavril was ten and he was only seven. Gavril was learning to hunt and Andrei had faithfully tagged along. His excitement had given way to horror at the prospect of actually killing a rabbit, and he had yanked Gavril's arm, turning a kill shot into a maim as the arrow took the rabbit high in the thigh. Before Gavril could catch him, the rabbit had limped down his hole. That was the only time in his life that Gavril had ever punched him; in the arm hard enough to make the limb fall asleep and leave a nasty bruise. But it was not anger that flared in Gavril's eyes, but pity. Andrei had never forgotten the sorrow in Gavril's face as he had mouthed the words: "Do you know what you've done?! I would have killed that rabbit swiftly, cleanly. He would have never known what happened. But because of you, he will now die slow and alone and painfully from an infection. He had to die to feed us, but now he will suffer for no reason." It was a lesson that Andrei never forgot, and the reason he spent so much time learning Gavril's lessons about hunting; his creedo that went unspoken with each shot. He could see the same pain in the courtesan's eyes now as he had seen in that rabbit, yet Giovanni's eyes held no sorrow.

The Earl's mouth was moving again as a woman he did not know undressed at his command. Lothar came at the courtesan, hitting her. The lords were cheering silently. The Earl crowed triumphantly about "being food". To his left, the man whose smile never reached his eyes drew a blade and thrust it at the lord he was speaking with. He saw the soldiers to the back of the guests opposite move in, and he sensed those behind him do the same. He was momentarily dumbfounded, frozen as that rabbit had been that Gavril had shot at. But at that moment, Gavril's old words came back to him, the phrase he had learned from one of the old hunters and used to still his mind and his body enough to shoot, and with it, the answer came.

I do not aim with my hand.

His left hand drifted down towards the bow set against the back of his chair.

He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.

His hand clasped the bow.

I aim with my eye.

His right drifted to the quiver on the ground. A distant, part of him, the part that was concerned with such trivial matters as mortality and survival, said that this was probably the last shot he would ever fire, hit or miss. He did not care.

I do not shoot with my hand.

His left hand clasped the arrow. His thighs flexed, propelling him upright.

He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.

He took an almost casual fixation on a spot just to the left of the center of Giovanni's doublet.

I shoot with my mind.

He kicked back with his left leg, knocking the chair backwards and giving him space to move. His left leg automatically fell into position.

I do not kill with my bow.

He drew his arrow to the bow and, in a single sure motion, drew it back. The part of him still concerned with things like survival noted that this would give them the best chance they would ever have to escape alive. In the moment, he did not care.

He who kills with his bow has forgotten the face of his father.

Without a single thought to trouble his aim, he exhaled smoothly and released.

I kill with my heart.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show

I hope people forgive me the literary adaptation, but meta-considerations be damned: if Andrei's going down, he's going down swinging. As such, Andrei is taking a precision shot at Earl Giovanni's heart on the assumption that it will kill him and confuse the situation enough to allow us to exit stage right. The difficulty is 9. I don't know if the archery specialization will kick in, but given the instinctive move on Andrei's part, the Dex specialization should.

As such, it would seem that I am taking two actions, at least one of which is combat. As such, I would guess that an initiative roll would be in order, and then I will roll my die for the shot, with the appropriate number later removed. If the specialization applies only to the die of that ability or trait, then consider the first die to be Dex die, and the remaining 5 die to be archery die.

Initiative roll:

(1d10)[3] + 7

Dex + Archery = 9d10

(1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[5]
    (1d10)[5]
    (1d10)[4]
    (1d10)[2]
    (1d10)[1]
    (1d10)[5]
    (1d10)[6]
    (1d10)[8]

Last edited by McStabbington; 2012-10-30 at 07:07 PM.