New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Thumbs up For all Wing Commander or Space Sim fans: Chris Roberts is back

Hello!

The creator of my favourite video game franchise (Wing Commander - yes, even better than Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate or X-Com) Chris Roberts has returned to PC gaming after producing/directing some strange movies.

I haven't found a thread about it but I think it's the right demographic here and I know there's at least one Wing Commander fan.

Anyway, the new game is (atm) called StarCitizen and sounds like a really ambitious project. The game is scheduled for 2014 but there's a nice webpage already where you can give some input, read some fiction, see trailers, announcements and so on:

http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com

They're having a bit of problems with the site at the moment because it overloaded after the game was officially announced on wednesday. There's also a crowdfunding aspect, just be warned /though I do encourage to pledge if you want to set a sign that neither PC games nor Space Sim games are dead. Though I'll wait a bit with my pledge until they'
    ve fixed the site).

Here's the video of the announcement (1 hour) with a lot of information:
    http://www.gamespot.com/shows/gamesp..._panel20121010

So I hope some of you will be interested in this because I really want to see this game happening.

Edit: Oh, seems they fixed the page. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Unregistered; 2012-10-14 at 04:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: For all Wing Commander or Space Sim fans: Chris Roberts is back

I hope they make a sequel out of that movie they made. It was pure gold!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Well. It certainly looks very impressive, and you can't fault the ambitions there, can you.

I think my biggest concern would be whether they can actually put that off - and probably more importantly, what kind of giant super-computer from Space I would need to run it. (One feels it's unlikely to be XP compatible...1)

The single-player campaign is really the only part that interests me (TIE Fighter being one of my favourite games of all time; oddly, though I never played Wing Commander, I suspect mostly because I started PC gaming quite late, only a year or two before the military-style space sims dried up completely.)

Still, with the near-complete lack of interesting games I can find out about in the next couple of years2, I'm willing to give this a shot.

1I may well grudgingly have to look into upgrading to Win 7 sometime next year anyway.

1Short list of all games coming out I'm intereted in coming out in the next couple of years: Project Eternity, Heart of the Swarm/Protoss bit, maybe Fallen Enchantress, VERY maybe Command & Conquer (though my hopes of that being anything like good have more or less evaporated with the swtich to free-to-play format, suggesting the single-player campaigns - all I want to play with C&C - are likely to be absent).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

This looks really good. I sadly am really short for money at the moment, so I won't be able to contribute.

Although one thing I am always disapointed with these game concept; Capital Ship Command.

I want to be able to command a Capital Ship. And I don't want it to be just an oversized gunship. I realize a genuine Carrier vessel is literally a city flying in space, and I'd like to manage that. I want to play Adama, in command of the Galactica in CiC, calling for my heavy guns to open a path for my starfighters.

Don't get me wrong; starfighter battles are really fun, and should be an essential part of the universe and gameplay. But if you wanted to be a Deck Administrator and be the one calling the shots for the battle. Giving the objectives for the pilots. Determining who's reliable among my officers/pilot and giving them promotion based on what I feel is adequate performance.

I know. Some people feel it's busywork, but this is the sort of experience I'd like to have. I'm tired of X-Wings and TIE Fighters, or even YT-1300. I want to be the captain of a Correllian Blockade Runner, a Lancer Frigate, a Dreadnought or a Gorram Star Destroyer!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssss!

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion