New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Tome of Radiance: Mastering the Power of Love and Justice

Ahh... my tendency is always to subvert things, so I'm not sure how good I'd be at iconics.

That said... my actress-Empath is relatively simple...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for, Jamie, but if you need an example of a low level stargazer character, you are more than welcome to use Cadeyrn Erskine from our game going on at the moment.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    "child penalties not apply" clause necessary? After all, that would also negate the +2 Dex,
    Last time I checked Jamie, +2 to anything wasn't a penalty, but a bonus. So that would probably be kept.

@Lix: If you tend to subvert things, then why don't you try to subvert your tendency to subvert things?
    A fundamental truth about existence: All is to be laughed at.

Lawful Evil with Chaotic Good tendencies. Have fun figuring that out.

How to deal with Slowbro in Gen 1:
    1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    Well, that makes you Dr. Robotnik. So...yeah?

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

...because that sentence made my head hurt.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Ahh... my tendency is always to subvert things, so I'm not sure how good I'd be at iconics.

That said... my actress-Empath is relatively simple...
    I would actually say that your character for the game would make an excellent Iconic for the empath class. Mine not so much for champions since he uses a bow and martial arts instead of a giant weapon. If you let me know what you have in mind Jamie i could toss you a few of the builds i was working on for NPCs in my setting. Fair warning though, I have gone RWBY CRAZY, I mean totally nuts. Anyone I build is probably going to wind up using a giant transforming weapon that is also a gun.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2013-11-14 at 11:00 AM.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

Jamie, if you want I can toss together Iconics for some of the PrCs that I've made. Specific classes I'd probably do would be Listener to Light, Child of Light, Heartwielder and Knight of the Dim Star.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

7. - Top - End - #787
    Ettin in the Playground

Lix, I actually think Mira works great as the iconic Empath :-) Also, with the sheet clearly labeled, it won't be hard to scale her to any lower level (since base class iconics more or less demand statting at 1st level, among other things :-))

Falcon, I can definitely use him - could you give me a couple of hints how he might have looked at level 1? Especially, Illuminations-wise?

Dragonus, the thing with Iconics, sadly, is that they aren't supposed to be too over the top. What is needed is a nice, simple build, playable but not overoptimized - something a player can take from the book and into the game without worrying too much about the intricate synergy of abilities. Therefore, of course, my Talla is right out, too, as a Champion :-)

Snowfire, that would be perfect! Thanks in advance!
    Tome of Radiance, a Magical Girl sourcebook for 3.5/PF.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #788

Illumination wise he'd probably have his beam (stream of purity), his ranged explosion (big boom), his wall of light that slows movement (sheen wall), a self heal, a heal for others (touch of clarity), and the barrier that provides light (earthly stars of light, aka literal illumination).

He would of course still have his "roar of light" as his complicated formula illumination.

As for costume, I suppose it'd depend on what he thought he might be doing that day. For Cadeyrn specifically, he spent some time at a school of magic, so the warded effect was actually quite important as it would give slightly less than a 50% chance to completely ignore any level one character casting a spell at him. On the other hand, if he thought he would need to be sneaky, sublte is quite useful, and if there was a chance he would need to be running away from someone, nimble would likely give him the best benefit.

I suppose the difficulty with a stargazer at level one is that the class is much like any other "caster" classes: they don't really come into their own until later on, at the very least level 5-8. After that they are fairly strong and only get stronger as time goes on. So at level one, while a stargazer does have 6 total illuminations, none of them really do a whole lot. The wall of light that slows movement doesn't do so to the point of being more worthwhile than simply running away, a beam attack doesn't have as much reach as a melee character running at you, nearly all of the shenanigans that can be pulled with surges are either out of reach or simply too weak to be worth it, and your barriers cover so little ground that they might as well be you throwing down a few firecrackers to try to scare someone.

But those are just my thoughts.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    I would actually say that your character for the game would make an excellent Iconic for the empath class.
    Lix, I actually think Mira works great as the iconic Empath :-) Also, with the sheet clearly labeled, it won't be hard to scale her to any lower level (since base class iconics more or less demand statting at 1st level, among other things :-))
    Awww, thanks!

I do worry that her Emperor-form is a little darker than an iconic might want. Although, I suppose one of the iconics should have a shadow. xD

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    Fair warning though, I have gone RWBY CRAZY, I mean totally nuts. Anyone I build is probably going to wind up using a giant transforming weapon that is also a gun.
    Not seeing how this is a downside.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Ogre in the Playground

On a related note, I've actually been wondering if the RWBY characters could be accurately portrayed as Evokers; they have a number of the trappings, but their magic-ish abilities tend to be more subdued compared to weaponplay, which seems pretty limited with this subsystem. Maybe with the use of Valkyrie, but it doesn't seem right to start them at higher than 5th level.

(Also, hi! First I've posted here, starting a game among friends using these elsewhere, so I'm likely to have questions at some point or another)
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2013-11-14 at 05:38 PM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

Well i have been thinking of doing a champion archetype that trades some illuminations and the limit mode stuff, maybe even something else still unsure, for stuff from the new Path of War stuff. I'm also working on a Tome of Radiance specific martial discipline, but work on it is slowing down a lot. But really they carry over almost perfectly, you just have to play with the fluff a tad, which is what archetypes are for really.

:EDIT: Ok, so just throwing ideas out there, what if for a champion archetype i completely replaced the Illuminations with a martial maneuver progression. The idea is that archetype is much more focused on their equipment meaning that's where they spend all their motes, and they get a weapon that counts as a discipline weapon for any discipline they know, with a recovery mechanic that requires them to spend motes for a turn, or perhaps spend a cartridge to recover, or spend motes to initiate a maneuver that they already used this turn, yea that's the ticket. They can re-initiate a spent maneuver by spending a certain amount of motes, hmmm whats an appropriate amount, its level perhaps? And what if they could spend a cartridge along with a maneuver in order to enhance its effect, like making the initiator level higher or raising the DC? I'm only really brainstorming here so if anyone has any thoughts PLEASE speak up.
    Last edited by Dragonus45; 2013-11-15 at 02:21 PM.
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't really know the ins and outs of the subsystem well enough to be able to say beyond a doubt, but it seems to me like straight up trading away illuminations would kill a lot of the flavor. Maybe you could limit them in some way, then provide cross play between the illuminations and maneuvers. I'd feel they would also need something to use their mote pool on, otherwise all the motes will just go into equipment.

A few rough ideas I could see working together for that:

• Reduce known and prepared illuminations by half (rounded up in this case), provide this particular system's maneuver-providing feats every few levels (For example, using PF / Path of War mechanics, Martial Training I-VI at 1st, 3rd, and every 3 levels)
    • Make a maneuver cost motes equal to its level, in return allow blast or surge secondary components to apply to them.
    • Recharge maneuvers when you expend a cartridge, use your complex formula, or change what persona you're manifesting depending on what class this is applied.
    Last edited by Ilorin Lorati; 2013-11-16 at 11:02 AM.
    There was something here and in the avatar box, and there will eventually be again. I just need to figure out what I want...

13. - Top - End - #793
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

So quick question: How would the two following rules interact?

Costume Mastery (Su): More than any other evoker, a fashionista understands the underpinnings of her mystical armaments, effortlessly awakening powers other magical girls must devote time and energy to activate. Every costume effect manifested by the fashionista is automatically imbued with a number of free motes equal to her class level. These extra motes cannot be extracted from her costume elements, and count normally against the limit on how many motes may be imbued into a single costume element at any given time.
    And:

Resplendent
    Light, and those who wield it, are quite often the center of attention, like it or not. Their powers are flashy, glamorous, and often relatively unknown to those unfamiliar with the various branches of magic. Some evokers shy from such a role, but many embrace it wholeheartedly, making the battlefield their stage and their powers a personal spotlight. First crafted by such enthusiasts, this gaudy but undeniably effective device element allows an evoker to house a measure of her personal radiance in her device for later use. This costume effect most commonly manifests by embossing a weapon with precious metals and jewels of incalculable value. When infused with motes, radiant energy seeps from the weapon itself, leaving a shimmering trail of light whenever it is swung.

Effect: The save DC of any illuminations used by the evoker increases by +1.

Essence Boost: By investing motes into this effect, an evoker can store illuminations for later use. Doing so requires a number of motes be invested equal to the cost of the stored illumination. This illumination may be used at any time. Instead of expending motes, using a stored illumination causes all motes to immediately uninvest from this effect, returning to the evoker’s mote pool (despite uninvested motes not normally returning to the mote pool until it refreshes). An evoker may only store an illumination she currently has readied - if she at any point no longer has the stored illumination as a readied illumination, the motes invested in this effect automatically uninvest themselves. Unlike with most costume effects, placing motes into this effect requires a full-round action, rather than as part of the swift action that usually allows reallocation of motes into a costume.

Cartridge Boost: When a cartridge is expended to fuel this effect, the champion’s mote pool immediately refreshes, as if at the beginning of a new turn.
    Just a little curious.

1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ettin in the Playground

Hm... by no means an expert, but I would guess a Fashionista removes [class levels] less motes from her pool to imbue an Illumination into the Resplendent Costume. So, for example, a Champion 5/Fashionista 3, with the EL 7, has a pool of 14 motes; if she wishes to store a 7-motes barrier in her Device, she only expend 4 motes to do so, and still has 10 motes to play with while the Illumination is stored.

Just my guess, of course.

"Jamie" is fine. TH is mostly there to make sure the name would be free on any forum I'd want to register :-)

Extended signature

15. - Top - End - #795
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Hm... by no means an expert, but I would guess a Fashionista removes [class levels] less motes from her pool to imbue an Illumination into the Resplendent Costume. So, for example, a Champion 5/Fashionista 3, with the EL 7, has a pool of 14 motes; if she wishes to store a 7-motes barrier in her Device, she only expend 4 motes to do so, and still has 10 motes to play with while the Illumination is stored.

Just my guess, of course.
    That actually sounds reasonable, but we should probably wait for the ultimate Yea or Nay from Selinia. The main reason I asked would be because a combination of Fashionista and Bombardment mage. For even more fun add in Aerial mage for Magical Pretty Supersonic Bomber-chan.
    Last edited by Laughing Dog; 2013-11-21 at 02:01 PM.

1. Mewtwo
    2. there is no #2.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Ettin in the Playground

Dragonus45, by the way, considering your Martial Champion idea - you might want to check out the Paizo's Advanced Class Guide Playtest, which is all about "gestalt" or "theurge" base classes. There is, for example, Skald, which is Bard-barian, progressing both Rage and Performance, though at a slower rate than "pure" classes, or Slayer (Sneak Attack + Favored Enemy). Maybe your idea could work in the similar way?

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #797
    Troll in the Playground

Dragonus45, by the way, considering your Martial Champion idea - you might want to check out the Paizo's Advanced Class Guide Playtest, which is all about "gestalt" or "theurge" base classes. There is, for example, Skald, which is Bard-barian, progressing both Rage and Performance, though at a slower rate than "pure" classes, or Slayer (Sneak Attack + Favored Enemy). Maybe your idea could work in the similar way?
    I've seen it, for the most part i'm rather excited but it's not quite what i was going for. That said i actually finished it the other week but never posted it up because i hate hate hate dealing with tables. When i get home after the weekend i'll go ahead and do that.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Pixie in the Playground

Note to self: Bookmark this thread...

Seriuously, my does my computer have to make trouble for months on end...I think I was on 15 before...now apparently it's all over.

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

I was looking at this stuff and whe I got to the "Night" Devil PrC, it hit me: Light and Dark working together as a dual power-source and thus, a PrC that combines Radiant Illuminations w/ Shadow Mysteries and Fundamentals (but mostly mysteries).
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ying-Yang Bomb

"Light belongs to shadow, shadow to light
    Chasing one another to the very end"
    — Bonnie Pink, Tales of Vesperia, "Ring a Bell" (translated)

The Ideal Hero is the champion of all that is good. Thus, his power will be that of light, he will dress in white or bright primary colors, like blue and red, and he will rarely take proactive action against the villain, preferring to play defensively and protect and defend the innocent. He will also champion the causes of love, courage, and hope. Only natural, such good powers could never be used for evil!
    Of course, sometimes you have the Anti-Hero, the guy who wields the power of darkness, powers himself on negative emotions, and probably has an angsty past. He probably dresses in all black, too. In extreme cases, the Dark Hero would like nothing, nothing better than to wrap his hands around his archnemesis' throat and strangle the life out of him. Think Sabata, Raven, and Batman.
    But our guy, the Yin Yang Bomb guy, doesn't care about all those things. He uses both. Not just that, but often, he will combine them into something higher and invariably ridiculously more powerful. Dark and light are not evil and good. They're not even diametrically opposed. To resolve the storyline or beat the boss, the hero must grab the reins of both and wield them in a harmony of fusion.

BECOMING A YING-YANG BOMB
    Ying-Yang Bombs Combine the powers of light and dark, usually by being both an evoker (masculine, feminine, or otherwise) and a shadowcaster (though not necessarily a Shadowcaster).

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
    Skills: Knowledge (the planes) 6 ranks, Bluff or Diplomacy 8 ranks, Intimidate 8 Ranks, Use Magic Devise 4 Ranks
    Feats:
    Power of Light: Must have celestial, divine, or fey blood or can craft Illuminations.
    Power of Darkness: Must have infernal, demonic, or plane-of-shadow-native blood or can shadowcast fundamentals or mysteries.

Class Skills
    The Class Name's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Craft (Int), Diplomacy, Knowledge (Int; each taken separately), Intimidate (Cha), and Use Magic Devise (Cha).
    Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + Intelligence modifier

Hit Dice: d6

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Class Features|Illuminations Known|Illuminations Readied
    1st|
    ±0
    |
    ±0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Radiant Armaments, Merciful, Fundamentals of Shadow, Cruel, Grey and Gray Morality (Many Shades)|0|-
    2nd|
    +1
    |
    ±0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Mysterious Progression|2|1
    3rd|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Grey and Gray Morality (Light the Fuse)|2|1
    4th|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Fundamental|4|2
    5th|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Mysterious Progression|4|2
    6th|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Illuminations (Extraordinary)|6|3
    7th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Grey and Gray Morality (Alignment Shift)|6|3
    8th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Bonus Fundamentals|8|4
    9th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Grey and Gray Morality (KA-BOOM!)|8|4
    10th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Mysterious Progression, Grey and Gray Morality (Perfect Balance)|10|5[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Ying-Yang Bomb gains no additional proficiencies.

Radiant Armaments: If you don't already have this feature from another source, it functions identical to the Champion Feature.

Merciful: Whenever you would deal lethal damage, you may deal non-lethal damage instead.

Fundamentals of Shadow: As per the the Shadowcaster except you only get one fundamental at first level.

Cruel:Whenever you would deal non-lethal damage, you may deal lethal damage instead.

Grey and Gray Morality: Ying-Yang Bombs blend White Light and Black Darkness into a sort of Grey area that defies conventional perception of both and gains new power from the mixing of two old ones.

Many Shades: At 1st level, you may use illuminations as mysteries and vice versa. They still use their normal slots, but count as being the other for the differences for the purpose of distinguishing the two from each other

Light the Fuse: At 3rd level Ying-Yang Bomb gets access to a special list of Fuses that are both Radiant Illuminations and Shadow Mysteries at the same time. They are crafted, and readied like Illuminations, but are known and shadowcast like mysteries.

Alignment Shift: At 7th level your dabbling into two traditionally conflicting arts affects your spiritual aura. Despite your actually alignment, you always register as both good and Evil whenever your alignments is detected. If the effect can only whether you are or are not rather than which (such as Detect Good and Detect Evil spells) you register as both that alignment and not that alignment.

KABOOM!: You also gain access to Explosions components When Crafting your Fuses.

Perfect Balance: At 10th level, your mastery of dual usage is so powerful you can actually dual cast. You may evoke an illumination and shadowcast a mystery as part of the same action. If they use different action types, then use the longer of the two. This is not affected by your many shades feature, so you can't use two illuminations by shadowcasting one and can't use two mysteries by evoking one.

Mysterious Progression: At 2nd, 5th, and 10th level if you can't already shadowcast mysteries you gain access an apprentice mysteries. If you can already shadowcast mysteries, then you gain access to the next category (Initiate, then Master) and increase your previous categories one ability type (Spell to Spell-like, Spell-like to Supernatural, Supernatural to Extraordinary (extraordinary abilities may be used four times)). You know a number of additional mysteries equal to your Ying-Yang Bomb level-1 and can shadowcast them the an additional number of times per day as per Shadowcaster's mysteries/per day table.

Illuminations At 2nd level a Ying-Yang Bomb can evoke Illuminations as per the table. Your evoker attribute for Illuminations form this class is your choice of Intelligence, Wisdom, or Charisma chosen at 2nd level.

At 6th level, your Illuminations may be used as Extraordinary or Supernatural abilities.
    Last edited by Reality Glitch; 2014-02-03 at 02:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #800

Frostfell Maven

"I used to fear the winter - fear the endless expanse of white, and the silence it brings. But I have found myself in the wind and snow, and seen the reflection of one who stands unconquered by the greatest of nature's terrors. This is my home... and you do not belong."
    -A Frostfell Maven, to an intruder upon her domain

Since ancient times, mortals have feared the frozen dark. They might build and hunt and do battle over the sunlit moors of summer, but as the nights grow longer, winter always claimed its rightful dominion. To most, it was a great and terrible force - fierce and unyielding in its wakefulness, and harbinger of a grim silence as it sleeps. Mortals huddled around their paltry hearths while winter rules, and the great expanse of snow remained unbroken, save by corpses and fools.

Now, the rise of civilization has stemmed the tide of winter in many lands. Wide roads are kept clear of snow, while mysticism warms the common folk without fear of an icy doom. Some mortals laugh and feast through the frozen months, boasting of their conquest and endurance in the face of the elements. Other mortals know better. They know that in the frigid north, there lies a winter that never end, and a season that shall never be conquered. They look upon the frostfell in all its immaculate splendor, and see the beauty and resilience to which most are blinded by their primal fear.

They are the frostfell mavens - artists and visionaries like no others. And they will spin the resplendence of winter from the stuff of their very souls.

Requirements
    To become a frostfell maven, you must fulfill the following criteria.
    Skills: Survival 8 ranks
    Illuminations: Must know at least one illumination with at least one rank in the Prisms component

Spoiler
    Show
    Much like the Firekeeper, the Frostfell Maven draws her power from a truly primordial energy source, and cannot hope to grasp the true power of winter until she has come to an understanding of how to survive it. Also like the firekeeper, the requirements are very minimalistic - this is not a difficult class to enter, if you can figure out a good way to get ranks in Survival.

Class Skill List: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge [Geography] (Int), Knowledge [Nature] (Int), Knowledge [The Planes] (Int), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magical Device (Cha)
    Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    A somewhat more outdoorsy skillset than most evokers get. Stargazers will likely appreciate the extra skill points, but for anyone else, not much to cause a fuss over here.

Frostfell Maven
    Hit Dice: d8

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Illuminations
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Frostfell Artistry (Crafting) +1 level of existing class
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Immaculate Frost +1 level of existing class
    3rd +2 +1 +1 +3 Frostfell Artistry (Conjuring) +1 level of existing class
    4th +3 +1 +1 +4 Winter Fury +1 level of existing class
    5th +3 +1 +1 +4 Frostfell Artistry (Empowerment) ---
    6th +4 +2 +2 +5 Arctic Aegis +1 level of existing class
    7th +5 +2 +2 +5 Frostfell Artistry (Awakening) +1 level of existing class
    8th +6 +2 +2 +6 Frozen Earth +1 level of existing class
    9th +6 +3 +3 +6 Frostfell Artistry (Dominion) +1 level of existing class
    10th +7 +3 +3 +7 Auroral Apotheosis ---

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A frostfell maven gains no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does this look familiar? It probably should - the frostfell maven's chassis is nearly a perfect mirror of her fiery cousin. Like the firekeeper, she has the versatility to fill a number of different combat roles depending on her build and entry class, but she will always be a serious competitor when it comes to blasting.

Illuminations: At each indicated level, a frostfell maven gains an increase in evoker level, illuminations known, illuminations readied, innate illuminations, and personas known as if they had gained a level in an illumination-using class to which they belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one illumination-using class before becoming a frostfell maven, she must decide to which class to add each level for the aforementioned purposes.

Spoiler
    Show
    With 8/10 illuminations, a frostfell maven has some strong class features, and pays for them. But she remains a competitive evoker, particularly when it comes to dealing damage. The lack of a 5th level costume element is somewhat misleading - the class does, indeed, gain a somewhat narrowed version of that ability, it merely does not fall under the usual 'generic' costume progression heading.

Frostforged Artistry (Su): Calling upon the pristine and elegant power of winter, a frostfell maven can coax form and beauty from the air itself. When using the Craft skill to produce any non-alchemical mundane item, a frostfell maven may choose to use conjured, never-melting ice and snow in place of mundane materials. If she does so, the maven may use her evoker stat in place of Intelligence when making Craft checks for that project. Additionally, the frostfell maven may complete the work of one week in only ten minutes of concentration. She need not pay the gold piece cost normally required to supply the materials for crafting. Items created in this fashion function identically to counterparts made of less exotic materials, but their icy nature is obvious - few merchants can be expected to accept payment in coins of frozen water. Normally, items created by Frostforged Artistry melt away twenty-four hours after their creation. However, by infusing her creations with components of equal value to materials normally composed in the crafting process, the frostfell maven may sustain her creations indefinitely.

Beginning at 3rd level, the frostfell maven is capable of unleashing a torrent of frozen power, sacrificing finesse for swiftness in her icy artifice. As a full-round action, the maven may manifest a crude construct of magical ice in an adjacent space. She may create a number of 10' squares with this ability equal to half her class level, rounded down, which may be placed horizontally or vertically in any pattern she desires. Not all elements of her construct need be present in a space adjacent to the frostfell maven, but they must all be connected to any others manifested. These panes of ice are a foot thick, and statistically identical to masonry when used as walls. If a creature would risk being trapped by this ice, it is instead shunted harmlessly to the nearest open space (choosing its own path if multiple equidistant paths present themselves). The ice created by this ability otherwise functions identically to mundane ice, and melts away at a rate appropriate to ambient temperatures.

Beginning at 5th level, the frostfell maven may infuse items with the very essence of winter when using her frostforged artistry. This functions in all respects as if the maven possessed the Craft Magical Arms and Armor, with the following exceptions. For all purposes involved in the item creation process, treat the frostfell maven as having a caster level equal to her evoker level. Additionally, she may ignore requirements for any spell she is unable to cast. Lastly, the maven may ignore any gold or XP costs the crafting process might incur, and may complete one week of work in only ten minutes of concentration upon her project. Despite these advantages, magical equipment created in this fashion is comprised almost purely of frozen power, and is even less stable than most of a frostfell maven's creations. If she does not infuse a piece of magical weaponry or armor with the gold and XP components to sustain it, the item's enchantments will melt away the moment it is no longer in contact with the maven herself.

Beginning at 7th level, frost and snow leap to the defense of the frostfell maven. As a standard action, the frostfell maven may breathe life into any object formed entirely of ice, snow, or a similar substance. Items brought to life in this fashion possess the statistics of animated objects of appropriate size, though the frostfell maven may choose to bequeath upon them Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores of any value up to one half her own score in those respective abilities. These animated objects are utterly loyal to their creator, and last until they are destroyed or dismissed by the frostfell maven as a free action. This ability only functions on objects of Large size or smaller, and the frostfell maven may sustain up to [evoker level * 4] HD worth of animated objects at any given time.

Beginning at 9th level, the frostfell maven can call entire buildings from the icy ether. The maven may construct strongholds with her frostfell artistry, does not require the assistance of any additional laborers when doing so, and may complete one week's worth of construction in a mere ten minutes of magical exertion. Additionally, when constructing a stronghold in this manner, she may treat her conjured ice as being Reinforced Masonry for the purpose of determining its material properties and pricing. Unlike most entities crafted through frostforged artistry, a stronghold crafted in this manner lasts a number of days equal to the frostfell maven's evoker stat modifier if not supplied with the components to render it permanent, rather than melting after twenty-four hours. This duration is renewed if the frostfell maven rests for at least eight hours within the confines of the stronghold. Details on the construction and pricing of strongholds may be found in the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.

Spoiler
    Show
    The frostfell maven's utility line, and boy, it's a doozy of a line. While lacking tricks such as the teleportation or reincarnation of a firekeeper, the frostfell maven is an absolutely masterful crafts-person. Nothing says you are obligated to build an ice castle and re-enact Be Our Guest with an army of animated ice furniture, but why wouldn't you?

Immaculate Frost (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a frostfell maven learns harness the inevitability and pristine nature of winter itself. Whenever the frostfell maven deals cold damage with an illumination, she may ignore an amount of her target’s cold resistance or hardness equal to [class level * 3]. If the target possesses both cold resistance and hardness, this value is deducted from each of them separately. Creatures with cold immunity are instead treated as having Cold Resist 40, which this ability then reduces as normal. This ability may not reduce a creature’s effective cold resistance or hardness below 0.

Spoiler
    Show
    Elemental blasters need a way to ignore resistance. That isn't optional - it is something they simply need to function, particularly with a relatively common resist like Cold. This prevents a few enemies with well-placed immunities from invalidating the maven's build in one fell swoop.

Winter Fury (Su): Elegant and beautiful as the frozen earth may be, only a fool would forget the dangers it holds when wind and snow are awakened in terrible fury. Whenever a frostfell maven of 4th level or higher evokes a blast illumination with a cold-attuned prism component, she gathers a storm of frigid, biting wind into an aura with a 15' radius. If she is already manifesting this aura, she instead increases its radius by 15' (to a maximum radius of 300'). At the end of her turn, if the frostfell maven has not used such a blast on her turn, the radius of her aura is instead reduced by 5'. Whenever a creature within this aura takes cold damage from any source, that damage is increased by an amount equal to the frostfell maven's class level. Multiple applications of this effect (even from multiple frostfell mavens) do not stack - only the strongest effect at any given time applies. A frostfell maven may protect any number of creatures within her aura from its effects, so long as she is conscious of their presence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let the storm rage on! Frostfell mavens are masters of attrition, partially due to this ability. The longer a battle drags on, the more of the battlefield is engulfed by her personal tempest and rendered vulnerable to the ravages of winter.

Heart of Ice (Su): Just as those mighty wastes forever embraced by ice and snow, a frostfell maven eventually comes to welcome the pristine beauty of everlasting frost into the very heart of her radiance. Beginning at 5th level, the frostfell maven is considered to have the Primal [Cold Attuned] costume effect active at all times – even when she does not have her costume manifested. This does not count against her normal costume effect limit, and may have motes invested in it as usual. If the frostfell maven wishes, she may still manifest the Primal costume effect for other energy types, but she may not use this effect to manifest a second cold attuned Primal effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Just a more focused version of the generic 'get a costume element' feature. A frostfell maven can nap in a snowbank while wearing her pajamas, and won't really experience any discomfort from it.

Arctic Aegis (Su): As civilization encroaches upon even the wildest reaches of a once-primal world, the frostfell remains unmarred by the whims of outsiders - those who would think to challenge it simply vanish, whatever mark they might have left soon buried by the snow. From 6th level onwards, at the beginning of each of her turns, the frostfell maven gains a supply of temporary hit points equal to her class level. If a creature suffering the effects of her aura of winter fury deals sufficient damage to the frostfell maven to reduce these temporary hit points to zero, that creature immediately sustains one point of cold damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    This ability may seem quite minor - and in some respects, it is. But this continually regenerating shield combined with the ability to ping the cold-vulnerable victims of her winter fury combine to make the frostfell maven a less than appealing target. Pure blasters will appreciate the deterrent, while those aiming for a more defensive build gain a rather nasty, persistent catch-22.

Frozen Earth (Su): In the frigid expanse of the frostfell, the sovereignty of cold is absolute - other elements may accept its embrace or be crushed by it, but they cannot hope to stand alone. Beginning at 8th level, whenever the frostfell maven evokes a blast illumination with a cold-attuned prism component, she may leave a zone of primordial frost in the wake of her attack. If the blast targeted an area, the zone encompasses the same area. If the blast targeted individual creatures, the zone encompasses the spaces occupied by the target creatures, as well as any spaces adjacent to them, and manifests regardless of whether the triggering illumination hit or missed. Whenever an ally standing within one of these zones of primordial frost deals any form of energy damage, they may choose to deal cold damage instead. The zones generated by this ability fade after one minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidebar: All Out of Blue Markers
    The Frozen Earth ability is flavorful, but it assumes you are using Maptool, or a whiteboard or simple paper battlemat for your combats. It may well be that this isn't the case, and if there is no easy way to keep tabs on which squares are frozen, the ability has the capacity to quickly become more trouble than it is worth. If you would rather not deal with the hassle of map-marking, you may adapt the class to simply apply the effects of Frozen Earth to the spaces enveloped by the Maven's Winter Fury.
    Spoiler
    Show
    With all the cold vulnerability flying around, a maven's allies will want a way to capitalize on it - and this gives them a route that doesn't involve relying on icy weapons. As a battle wears on and a the storm grows fiercer, taking extra damage from cold vulnerability is going to get increasingly difficult for a maven's enemies to avoid.

Auroral Apotheosis (Su): The barrier between the frostfell maven and the frigid power she channels has all but dissolved. Where others might have been lost to the uncaring wasteland of perilous cold, she has drawn forth from the ancient ice a grace and beauty unmatched by the clumsy works of mortal hands. At 10th level, a frostfell maven forevermore becomes a Native Outsider with the Cold subtype and an Augmented subtype pertaining to her previous type, with all the traits that implies. Unlike most creatures with the Cold subtype, however, the frostfell maven does not gain vulnerability to fire damage. Further, she can no longer be aged by any means mundane or magical, and will never die of old age.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's an apotheosis! Not too much to say here - you've seen this ability before.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2014-04-03 at 02:01 AM.
    Lovely Rita Mordio avatar by Zefir! Thank you!

Homebrew:

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Someone saw Frozen recently. xD

I'm definitely using this class in the near future though.

22. - Top - End - #802

Magical Idol

"Thank you! Thank you so much, I love you all!"
    -Momo Kisaragi, a magical idol

It is relatively common for those blessed with the power of the light to find themselves as the center of attention. Their radiant energy pulls at the spirits of all who witness it, and many find themselves touched by the words and deeds of those who bear the mantle of evoker. For most, this personal gravity is incidental - a side effect of their talents that, while occasionally useful, is neither understood nor controlled.

But some go further, reveling in the spotlight and harmonizing their natural charisma with the mystical showmanship of a bard. With such abilities at their disposal, such individuals quickly rise to a level of fame and recognition to rival that of the greatest legends. Known to all and beloved by countless thousands, these idols touch more souls with their light than most evokers could ever imagine - and their enemies, too, recognize them and all they stand for with merely a glance.

Blending radiance with the art of arcane magic, a magical idol is a force to be reckoned with on or off the battlefield, empowering her allies and shaping the battlefield into a stage of her own choosing. Few can match the power of her performance, or the extent of her influence, and whatever cause she aligns herself with will no doubt find in any idol a truly potent ally.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidebar: Adapting the Magical Idol
    The default fluff for this class assumes that the character is melding magical styles to become a fantastical pop star, beloved for her performances, but there are quite a few alternatives to which this class could easily be adapted. Influential athletes, politicians, merchants, or even nobility could all inspire others and wield fame and fortune in their own right. Very little, if any, mechanical change would need to accompany such a switch.
    Requirements
    To become a magical idol, you must fulfill the following criteria.
    Skills: Perform 8 ranks
    Spells: Ability to cast 1st level bard spells
    Illuminations: Must know at least one illumination with a mote cost of at least 2m
    Special: Bardic performance ability
    Special: Must have performed in a public venue at least once, to an audience of at least one thousand members

Spoiler
    Show
    Theurge Class, so you know what that means - the prerequisites here aren't going to go easy on you. Even so, by theurge standards, these are far from unbearable. Two levels of Bard and two Evoker Levels are required, and you can easily tilt the bias either way depending on which class you'd rather see as the primary focus of your character. The Special requirement for performance might take some planning - but remember, if you can't get anyone to come to your own shows, you can always try to steal the spotlight at someone else's!

Class Skill List: Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Speak Language (None), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha)
    Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bard skills - that is to say, most of them. With a large class skill list and plenty of skill points, Magical Idols, like their parent class, are very, very solid in this department.

Magical Idol
    Hit Dice: d6

Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special Illuminations Spellcasting
    1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Bardic Music, Famous, Opening Act +1 level of existing class +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 +1 level of existing class +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    3rd +2 +1 +1 +3 Power Chord +1 level of existing class +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    4th +3 +1 +1 +4 +1 level of existing class +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    5th +3 +1 +1 +4 Set the Stage --- +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    6th +4 +2 +2 +5 +1 level of existing class +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    7th +5 +2 +2 +5 Radiant Harmony +1 level of existing class +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    8th +6 +2 +2 +6 +1 level of existing class +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    9th +6 +3 +3 +6 Shining Inspiration +1 level of existing class +1 level of existing bard spellcasting
    10th +7 +3 +3 +7 Showstopper --- +1 level of existing bard spellcasting

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A magical idol gains no proficiency with any weapons or armor.

Illuminations: At each indicated level, a magical idol gains an increase in evoker level, illuminations known, illuminations readied, innate illuminations, and personas known as if they had gained a level in an illumination-using class to which they belonged before adding the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If she had more than one illumination-using class before becoming a magical idol, she must decide to which class to add each level for the aforementioned purposes.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At each level, a magical idol gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if she had also gained a level in bard. She does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Spoiler
    Show
    Theurge time! With 8/10 evoking levels, and a whopping 10/10 on her bard side, the magical idol is a mystical force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, that does come at something of a price: with poor physical saves and a measly d6 hit dice, a magical idol will generally prefer staying away from the front lines and empowering her allies from afar.

Bardic Music: A magical idol adds her class level to her bard level to determine the number of times per day she can use her bardic music, the bardic music abilities she can employ, and the power of those abilities.

Spoiler
    Show
    What kind of performer would you be without this? This is actually quite important - many of the idol's class features do not function unless you're performing, so having a solid supply of daily performances is crucial.

Famous (Ex): A magical idol is known and loved far and wide - for better or worse, she is bound to be recognized anywhere she goes. Recognizing the magical idol requires a Knowledge (Local) check with a DC equal to [30 - Evoker Stat Modifier - Class Level].Witnessing a performance by the idol (whether magical or mundane) grants a bonus to this knowledge check equal to her class level. A creature who recognizes the magical idol improves their starting opinion of her by one step, plus one additional step for every 10 points by which they exceeded the recognition DC (to a maximum of Fanatical). A successful Will save against a DC of [10 + Evoker Stat Modifier + Half Idol's Character Level] allows a creature to avoid having its opinion raised above Friendly by this effect. Creatures with reason to dislike the magical idol (such as supporters of an organization she has opposed in the past) instead lower their starting opinion by an equal number of steps (to a minimum of Hostile). This shift in opinion only applies to a creature's initial attitude towards the magical idol - afterwards, she may influence their opinion as normal.

If the magical idol is not wearing her costume, checks made to recognize her suffer a -10 penalty. As a general rule, most communities as a whole will at least vaguely recognize the magical idol, and recognition checks should only be made when specifically relevant - there is no need to roll a check for every commoner the magical idol passes on the street.

Spoiler
    Show
    A magical idol is in a rather unique position - instantly recognizable to anyone even slightly versed in the lore of culture and public personalities. Many common folk will trip over themselves to please a real, live celebrity, and even important figures can have trouble thinking objectively in the presence of such a revered figure. On the flipside, your mere presence can be enough to set off a hair trigger for those you've set yourselves in opposition to - one way or the other, you tend to be judged on the reputation that proceeds you.

Of course, the way that recognition is calculated means that pop culture nerds are going to be your biggest fans. Because of course they are.

Opening Act (Su): A magical idol knows full well that one of the secrets of an engaging performance is to start with a bang - and with the radiant power at her disposal, that adage can manifest itself quite literally at times. As a full-round action, the magical idol can simultaneously begin a bardic performance and evoke a single standard-action blast or companion illumination she has readied (paying its mote cost as normal). If the magical idol is not already wearing her costume, she may summon it as part of the same full-round action.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let's face it - standard action bardsong just isn't economical. This allows you to get your iconic feature up and running regularly without relying on feats from the Tome of Battle or dipping into other PrCs. Those still have their place, but the action discount offered here will be plenty to appease many evokers (particularly since most evokers have an abundance of things to do with their Swift actions).

Power Chord (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, the magical idol learns to infuse her resplendent power into the arcane fabric of her bardic performance. She gains access to the unique Inspiration surge shape component. Additionally, the magical idol gains access to all foundation, shape, and secondary surge components available to the core evoker classes (though not those that may be granted by other prestige classes).

Spoiler: Inspiration
    Show
    Inspiration [Magical Idol]
    [Mote Cost: 1m + 3m/rank beyond the first]
    Combining inner radiance with arcane artistry, the evoker channels her power into those who bear witness to her light. The surge may only be used while the evoker is engaged in bardic performance, and affects one willing creature of her choice who can see or hear her perform. Each rank beyond the first allows the evoker to target an additional creature who can see or hear her performance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Magical idols are peerless buffers and support characters, and their illumination selection shows it. Regardless of entry, the class quickly grants an expanded access to surge components, and a special, unique toy that allows for mass-buffing with an efficiency that would make other evokers turn green with envy.

Set the Stage (Su): For a true performer, all the world is as a stage, awaiting nothing more than a skilled artist to bring it to life. Beginning at 5th level, the magical idol may choose to invest the motes spent on a barrier illumination rather than merely expending them, provided she is currently maintaining a bardic performance. Investing motes into a illumination works exactly as investing motes into a costume, as long as the motes remain invested, the barrier's duration will not end. If the investment ends, the barrier lasts for one additional round.

Spoiler
    Show
    Finding the motes to invest in this can be tricky, but when it works this offers a very powerful tool for exerting battlefield control, and allows the magical idol to craft her illuminations with less regard for the Ancients component. Unlike most evokers, a magical idol may even find ready reason to keep a compliment of inexpensive barriers on hand, so as to be able to control the battlefield without such heavy investment.

Radiant Harmony (Su): Beginning at 7th level, a magical idol masters the art of weaving her disparate power sources into a glorious harmony that is far greater than the sum of its parts. The first time the magical idol casts a bard spell each round, her next illumination evoked in that round calculates its foundation component as if its mote cost were increased by a value equal to the spell level of the triggering spell. This boosted effect lasts for the full duration of the illumination in question, and does not actually increase the number of motes expended in evoking it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Situational, but potentially quite potent. At these levels, the magical idol likely has a fairly significant selection of bardic magic at her disposal. By employing these spells alongside her illuminations, she can make up for some of her deficiency in evoker level by augmenting her illuminations with arcane force.

Shining Inspiration (Su): From 9th level onwards, the power of a magical idol resounds through her performance, kindling the inner light of all those who she allows to bask in her glory. As a free action, while engaged in a bardic performance, the magical idol may imbue their performance with one illumination they have readied. This expends motes as if she had evoked the illumination in question, but has no immediate effect. Instead, any ally who can see or hear the performance of the magical idol may make use of the illumination she has imbued in this manner. This requires the normal action expenditure, but does not consume any motes. In all other respects, the illumination in question functions exactly as if the magical idol herself had evoked it. The imbued illumination fades after it has been used twice, or at the beginning of the magical idol's next turn - whichever comes first.

Spoiler
    Show
    Sharing is caring! This requires some strategic thought, but has the potential to seriously amplify a magical idol's presence in combat by recruiting her own party members as backup for her performance. Having too many things to do is a perpetual plague of the theurge build - the magical idol can not only outsource her actions to others, she can actually amplify them in the process. The uses for this are really only limited by your tactical creativity.

Showstopper (Su): In her most desperate hour, or the moment of her greatest triumph, a magical idol of 10th level may call upon all she has learned to build her combined powers of radiance and arcana to a truly awe-inspiring crescendo. So long as she is engaged in a bardic performance, is not fatigued or exhausted, and has a full mote pool, the magical idol may use a showstopper as a full-round action. Using this ability immediately grants the magical idol three standard actions, which she may use to evoke illuminations or cast bard spells. Illuminations evoked through this ability cost no motes, but possess the full normal effect for their cost. Spells cast through this ability do not count against the magical idol's spells per day. Once these special actions have been completed, the magical idol is immediately exhausted, her bardic performance ends, her mote pool is emptied, and her maximum mote pool is halved. These effects persist until the magical idol takes one minute to gather her focus and rekindle the inner fires depleted by the intensity of her maneuver.

Spoiler
    Show
    Some prestige classes get subtle, synergistic capstones that bring the whole package together with a potent passive ability. The magical idol is not one of those classes - and if you think they should be, you clearly need to take a few more lessons in divadom! This is nothing less than a magical nuke, a grand finale worthy of any major fight. A showstopper is tricky to use, offering a surge of incredible potency but crippling the idol in its aftermath, and is best reserved for desperate situations or fights you are certain will be wrapped up quickly. But when it does work, well, no socks will be left unrocked I assure you.
    Last edited by Selinia; 2014-04-04 at 05:39 PM.

Homebrew:

23. - Top - End - #803

Thread upkeep incoming! It's nice to be back.

In the meantime, happy Valentine's day, everyone! Albeit, a few hours belated. Hopefully the presents make up for it.

Homebrew:

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

You are TOTALLY not allowed to release this much new awesome content and make me build four or five different magical girls just to satisfy my understanding of the new material. :<

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

Now I'm trying to figure out whether a Device could reasonably be a musical instrument.

I mean, there's no question on the Device end - more on whether what is otherwise fluff (what your Device looks like beyond category) should be allowed to have a mechanical effect (can be used for bardic abilities and Performance checks).

(also, is it odd that Harp Note comes to mind first?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

Sona came to mind as soon as I read 'power chord'

27. - Top - End - #807
    Pixie in the Playground

Glad to see Selinia is back, and with a vengeance. I've been looking forward to the return of the magical idol, and you did not disappoint, am I the only one who read shining inspiration and thought back-up dancers. The Frostfell Maven is a flavorful and interesting class, but right now all I think think of is two Frostfell Mavens duking it out in the snowball fight to end all snowball fights. I had forgotten how genuinely entertaining Selinia makes these classes to read.

@Qwertystop. You don't need a device that you can play, the obvious answer is invest in Preform(Sing), but a little googling reveals that most instruments can be played one handed. Rock out with one hand and throw down with the other.

28. - Top - End - #808
    Ettin in the Playground

Alternatively, explicitely allow Magical Idols to play their Devices.

Speaking of the classes, I can't really comment, except for wholly agreeing with NineThePuma - too much awesome in one go, too much ideas.

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #809

I really see no reason to give a Magical Idol a 1st-level ability that allows her device or costume to substitute for any instrument she likes - it'd mostly be for flavor after all, given that Perform (Sing) and Perform (Dance) exist. Mostly it'd just allow greater variety for your performances.

30. - Top - End - #810

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Frostforged Artistry (Su): Calling upon the pristine and elegant power of winter, a frostfell maven can coax form and beauty from the air itself. When using the Craft skill to produce any non-alchemical mundane item, a frostfell maven may choose to use conjured, never-melting ice and snow in place of mundane materials. If she does so, the maven may use her evoker stat in place of Intelligence when making Craft checks for that project. Additionally, the frostfell maven may complete the work of one week in only ten minutes of concentration. She need not pay the gold piece cost normally required to supply the materials for crafting. Items created in this fashion function identically to counterparts made of less exotic materials. Normally, items created by Frostforged Artistry melt away twenty-four hours after their creation. However, by infusing her creations with components of equal value to materials normally composed in the crafting process, the frostfell maven may sustain her creations indefinitely.
    materials of what sort? just burn up whatever which happens to be of equal value? and infusing the creations, I'm assuming, doesn't take significant additional time?

that seems p economy-breaking but that ... probably doesn't matter that much, does it.

ed: also you can totally craft (poisonmaking) with this. I ... okay, so the idea amuses me enough that I'm totally for leaving that possible and leaving the actually fluffing to the player who actually tries to pull that. ... and per A&EG, also Craft (brewing), Craft (winemaking), Craft (dyemaking), Craft (winemaking).

these "function identically to counterparts made of less exotic materials". so given the whole point I am assuming you can get yourself drunk (Cityscape 44!) off, uh, "never-melting ice and snow".

(I am totally okay with this.)

Beginning at 3rd level, the frostfell maven is capable of unleashing a torrent of frozen power, sacrificing finesse for swiftness in her icy artifice. As a full-round action, the maven may manifest a crude construct of magical ice in an adjacent space. She may create a number of 10' squares with this ability equal to half her class level, rounded down, which may be placed horizontally or vertically in any pattern she desires. Not all elements of her construct need be present in a space adjacent to the frostfell maven, but they must all be connected to any others manifested. These panes of ice are a foot thick, and statistically identical to masonry when used as walls. If a creature would risk being trapped by this ice, it is instead shunted harmlessly to the nearest open space (choosing its own path if multiple equidistant paths present themselves). The ice created by this ability otherwise functions identically to mundane ice, and melts away at a rate appropriate to ambient temperatures.
    um this just an object, right? "a crude construct of magical ice" made it sound momentarily animate-objectsesque but it's. not a Construct, just a magical ice construct, right.

Beginning at 5th level, the frostfell maven may infuse items with the very essence of winter when using her frostforged artistry. This functions in all respects as if the maven possessed the Craft Magical Arms and Armor, with the following exceptions. For all purposes involved in the item creation process, treat the frostfell maven as having a caster level equal to her evoker level. Additionally, she may ignore requirements for any spell she is unable to cast. Lastly, the maven may ignore any XP costs the crafting process might incur. Despite these advantages, magical equipment created in this fashion is comprised almost purely of frozen power, and is even less stable than most of a frostfell maven's creations. If she does not infuse a piece of magical weaponry or armor with the components to sustain it, the item's enchantments (though not the item itself) will melt away the moment it is no longer in contact with the maven herself.
    infusing to sustain the enhancements, that should still require XP costs, shouldn't it? this takes the normal amount of time? I note that there is no specific gp cost exemption here—so it costs the usual cost, but it will also go away if no longer in contact, unless infused with components which are ... ??

or is the gp cost exemption from earlier supposed to carry through here, and the cost to sustain is the ordinary item creation costs—in which case, there should probably be a limit on that to prevent really silly abuse, shouldn't there.

Beginning at 7th level, frost and snow leap to the defense of the frostfell maven. As a standard action, the frostfell maven may breathe life into any object formed entirely of ice, snow, or a similar substance. Items brought to life in this fashion possess the statistics of animated objects of appropriate size, though the frostfell maven may choose to bequeath upon them Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores of any value up to one half her own score in those respective abilities. These animated objects are utterly loyal to their creator, and last until they are destroyed or dismissed by the frostfell maven as a free action. This ability only functions on objects of Large size or smaller, and the frostfell maven may sustain up to [evoker level * 4] HD worth of animated objects at any given time.
    so 4*EL hd worth of large+ (minimum 4 hd) intelligent minions forever, eh? ... and yeah, you need icy things around, but the 3rd level part already provides for that, so.

also

Improved Speed (Ex)

The base land speed given in the statistics block assume that an animated object lurches, rocks, or slithers along.

Objects with two legs (statues, ladders) or a similar shape that allows faster movement have a +10 foot bonus to speed. Objects with multiple legs (tables, chairs) have a +20 foot bonus to speed. Wheeled objects have a +40 foot bonus to speed.

Objects might have additional modes of movement. A wooden object can float and has a swim speed equal to half its land speed. A rope or similar sinuous object has a climb speed equal to half its land speed. A sheetlike object can fly (clumsy maneuverability) at half its normal speed.
    if we can finagle wheels onto a sheetlike object (... because that would. totally help.) that's, like, a 30 ft. (clumsy) flying mount right. right ??

Beginning at 9th level, the frostfell maven can call entire buildings from the icy ether. The maven may construct strongholds with her frostfell artistry, does not require the assistance of any additional laborers when doing so, and may complete one week's worth of construction in a mere ten minutes of magical exertion. Additionally, when constructing a stronghold in this manner, she may treat her conjured ice as being Reinforced Masonry for the purpose of determining its material properties and pricing. Unlike most entities crafted through frostforged artistry, a stronghold crafted in this manner lasts a number of days equal to the frostfell maven's evoker stat if not supplied with the components to render it permanent, rather than melting after twenty-four hours. This duration is renewed if the frostfell maven rests for at least eight hours within the confines of the stronghold. Details on the construction and pricing of strongholds may be found in the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook.
    there ... is no limit on this other than time? with days equal to evoker stat before poofing, that's, like ... a month, isn't it. is this equal to evoker stat at time of creation, or does it all poof if suddenly you get ability damaged.

Spoiler
    Show
    The frostfell maven's utility line, and boy, it's a doozy of a line. While lacking tricks such as the teleportation or reincarnation of a firekeeper, the frostfell maven is an absolutely masterful crafts-person. Nothing says you are obligated to build an ice castle and re-enact Be Our Guest with an army of animated ice furniture, but why wouldn't you?
    selinia that is too much disney for you

Winter Fury (Su): Elegant and beautiful as the frozen earth may be, only a fool would forget the dangers it holds when wind and snow are awakened in terrible fury. Whenever a frostfell maven of 4th level or higher evokes a blast illumination with a cold-attuned prism component, she gathers a storm of frigid, biting wind into an aura with a 15' radius. If she is already manifesting this aura, she instead increases its radius by 15' (to a maximum radius of 300'). At the end of her turn, if the frostfell maven has not used such a blast on her turn, the radius of her aura is instead reduced by 5'. Whenever a creature within this aura takes cold damage from any source, that damage is increased by an amount equal to the frostfell maven's class level. Multiple applications of this effect (even from multiple frostfell mavens) do not stack - only the strongest effect at any given time applies. A frostfell maven may protect any number of creatures within her aura from its effects, so long as she is conscious of their presence.

Spoiler
    Show
    Let the storm rage on! Frostfell mavens are masters of attrition, partially due to this ability. The longer a battle drags on, the more of the battlefield is engulfed by her personal tempest and rendered vulnerable to the ravages of winter.
    this ... seems like a lot of paperwork. but I guess it adds up, we could do calculations. seems to call for making lots and lots of small attacks, though. paperwork.

Arctic Aegis (Su): As civilization encroaches upon even the wildest reaches of a once-primal world, the frostfell remains unmarred by the whims of outsiders - those who would think to challenge it simply vanish, whatever mark they might have left soon buried by the snow. From 6th level onwards, at the beginning of each of her turns, the frostfell maven gains a supply of temporary hit points equal to her class level. If a creature suffering the effects of her aura of winter fury deals sufficient damage to the frostfell maven to reduce these temporary hit points to zero, that creature immediately sustains one point of cold damage.

Spoiler
    Show
    This ability may seem quite minor - and in some respects, it is. But this continually regenerating shield combined with the ability to ping the cold-vulnerable victims of her winter fury combine to make the frostfell maven a less than appealing target. Pure blasters will appreciate the deterrent, while those aiming for a more defensive build gain a rather nasty, persistent catch-22.
    so the one whose attack is actually the one which brings those temp hp down to zero, yes?

Frozen Earth (Su): In the frigid expanse of the frostfell, the sovereignty of cold is absolute - other elements may accept its embrace or be crushed by it, but they cannot hope to stand alone. Beginning at 8th level, whenever the frostfell maven evokes a blast illumination with a cold-attuned prism component, she may leave a zone of primordial frost in the wake of her attack. If the blast targeted an area, the zone encompasses the same area. If the blast targeted individual creatures, the zone encompasses the spaces occupied by the target creatures, as well as any spaces adjacent to them, and manifests regardless of whether the triggering illumination hit or missed. Whenever an ally standing within one of these zones of primordial frost deals any form of energy damage, they may choose to deal cold damage instead. The zones generated by this ability fade after one minute.
    again, ~so much paperwork~; this class requires keeping track of a) changing radii on the aura, b) continually refreshing temp hp at the beginning of every turn, c) also keeping track of spaces being affected by this ability. is there any particular reason this one isn't just keyed to the aura?

Quote Originally Posted by Selinia View Post
    Auroral Apotheosis (Su): The barrier between the frostfell maven and the frigid power she channels has all but dissolved. Where others might have been lost to the uncaring wasteland of perilous cold, she has drawn forth from the ancient ice a grace and beauty unmatched by the clumsy works of mortal hands. At 10th level, a frostfell maven forevermore becomes a Native Outsider with the Cold subtype and an Augmented subtype pertaining to her previous type, with all the traits that implies. Unlike most creatures with the Cold subtype, however, the frostfell maven does not gain vulnerability to fire damage. Further, she can no longer be aged by any means mundane or magical, and will never die of old age.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's an apotheosis! Not too much to say here - you've seen this ability before.
    pffh aurora is just the dawn. brumal is totally a word I like but eh alliterative appeal I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Serafina View Post
    I really see no reason to give a Magical Idol a 1st-level ability that allows her device or costume to substitute for any instrument she likes - it'd mostly be for flavor after all, given that Perform (Sing) and Perform (Dance) exist. Mostly it'd just allow greater variety for your performances.
    you see no reason not to, surely.
    Last edited by sreservoir; 2014-02-17 at 11:29 PM.