New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Optimizing ranged Twin Strike

Heya all,

I need some help with optimizing my character. I need to make a level 19 character that is mainly a striker but also has leader capacities, mainly of the healing variety.

To that extent I made a hybrid Hengeyokai Ranger/Cleric (dex/wis), where I focus use a fair amount of my powers on healing abilities and the plan is to use feats to buff Twin Strike. This will be a bow ranger, no melee. My PP at this moment is Sharpshooter (Battlefield archer is out due to me having taken channel divinity as hybrid talent)

I have as feats: Weapon Proficiency Greatbow, Bow Expertise, Lethal Hunter, Weapon Focus and Distant advantace. With my Moonbow Greatbow +4 and Paragon Bracers of Archery I end up at +23 vs AC, 1d12+10 damage which seems a bit lackluster.

Oddly enough it is rather hard to find specific details on buffing ranged TS and as such I come to you, how do I maximize this ability?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Optimizing ranged Twin Strike

My first thought would be that you would be more effective as a ranger multiclassing into cleric. That would give you prime shot and let you use your quarry on basic attacks. If you multiclass to shaman, you can have a per-encounter heal (in addition to utility swaps).
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    My first thought would be that you would be more effective as a ranger multiclassing into cleric. That would give you prime shot and let you use your quarry on basic attacks. If you multiclass to shaman, you can have a per-encounter heal (in addition to utility swaps).
    This. Hybrid version is for melee.

Also, drop Lethal Hunter. I recommend Hobbling Strike instead. As a ranger, your damage mechanic is Twin Strike, and Hunter's Quarry is just a tool to exchange for a bit of control.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

As the hybrid lover, I can see ways to make an effective striker/leader out of the Ranger|Cleric. You will want to use hybrid talent to boost your damage and rely on your Dex and leather for AC. And if healing is your focus, then you are one of the few to not want Battle Lore. Dex/Wis focused build, and let the Cleric powers handle the healing for you, focus your items and feats on the Ranger side. And if I recall there is a feat that gives you access to Channel Divinity powers.

Ranger|Shaman may be better for what you want. The healing is better for spreading the love around, and it's easier to get the encounter heals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    The second piece of advice is "don't build a hybrid", but hey, this is Tegu8788's game and he's kinda the High Priest of Hybridization, so you're cool there.
    Guide for starting 4E.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Here is a quick build:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Code:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    level 19
    Hengeyokai, Ranger|Cleric, Sharpshooter
    Hybrid Ranger: Hybrid Ranger Reflex
    Hybrid Cleric: Healer's Lore
    Hybrid Talent: Channel Divinity (Hybrid Cleric)
    Select Animal Form: Fox (Stealth)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 9, Con 13, Dex 23, Int 11, Wis 23, Cha 13.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 12, Dex 16, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 12.

AC: 33 Fort: 25 Reflex: 30 Will: 33
    HP: 115 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 28

TRAINED SKILLS
    Stealth +21, Perception +20, Nature +20, Acrobatics +20

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +9, Bluff +12, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +15, Endurance +9, Heal +15, History +9, Insight +15, Intimidate +10, Religion +9, Streetwise +10, Thievery +14, Athletics +7

FEATS
    Level 1: Bow Expertise
    Level 2: Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow)
    Level 4: Weapon Focus (Bow) (retrained to Icy Heart at Level 11)
    Level 6: Hybrid Talent
    Level 8: Wintertouched
    Level 10: Superior Will
    Level 11: Lasting Frost
    Level 12: Hobbling Strike
    Level 14: Primal Sharpshooter
    Level 16: Inevitable Volley
    Level 18: Devout Protector Expertise

POWERS
    Channel Divinity (Hybrid Cleric): Healer's Mercy
    Hybrid at-will 1: Sonnlinor's Hammer
    Hybrid at-will 1: Twin Strike
    Primal Sharpshooter: Elemental Spirits
    Hybrid encounter 1: Cause Fear
    Hybrid daily 1: Guardian of Faith
    Hybrid utility 2: Invigorating Stride
    Hybrid encounter 3: Disruptive Strike
    Hybrid daily 5: Spitting-Cobra Stance
    Hybrid utility 6: Bastion of Health
    Hybrid encounter 7: Biting Volley
    Hybrid daily 9: Springback Shot
    Hybrid utility 10: Word of Vigor
    Hybrid encounter 13: Fox's Cunning (replaces Biting Volley)
    Hybrid daily 15: Reactive Shot (replaces Spitting-Cobra Stance)
    Hybrid utility 16: Unexpected Return
    Hybrid encounter 17: Arrow of Vengeance (replaces Fox's Cunning)
    Hybrid daily 19: Knight of Glory (replaces Guardian of Faith)

ITEMS
    Frost Greatbow +4, Dawn Warrior Darkhide Armor +4, Amulet of Elusive Prey +4, Bracers of Archery (paragon tier), Eagle Eye Goggles (paragon tier), Acrobat Boots (heroic tier), Diamond Cincture (heroic tier), Gauntlets of Blood (paragon tier)
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Basic frostcheese with action-point fueled inevidible shot and extra attack powers from Ranger. Most utility powers are cleric heals, to make up for your lack of class feature heals. I forgot to buy an implement, a +3 implement might be a good idea.

Your twin strike damage, after your first hit on a target, is:
    1d12 +4 (enhance)+4(item)+3 (feat)+5(vulnerability)
    and on bloodied targets you get another +4. So 22.5 per twin strike shot, x2 is 45, plus 3.5 from HQ (I took the slowing feat) is 48.5 if both hit, +8 if the target is bloodied.

You have two encounter reactions or interrupts that are easy to trigger, each doing at least [W]+dex for another 28.5 damage on a hit.

Inevitable shot lets you turn a miss into two additional attacks on other targets, one of which causes burst 1 6 points of cold autodamage (ideally hitting your primary target). You get 1 daily use of this attack, but it recharges each action point, so you can use it for the first 2 encounters per day, then again every 2nd encounter. These RBAs won't pull off the same damage as the one on your primary target, but they do have a +2 bonus to hit.

CA (and cold vuln) is relatively easy to maintain via Lasting Frost and Wintertouched I hope.

Accuracy is a mediocre +24 vs AC with CA.

The daily cleric power lets you summon more minor-action fueled free attacks, and is the only reason you need an implement.

Your ranger dailies are either no action or reaction attacks. Your cleric utilities are all(?) minor action heals.

This won't hit charop striker DPR, but will be acceptable in a non-charop group I think.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2012-10-28 at 11:44 PM.