New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - The Fallen One

Spoiler
    Show
    see, I did want to shape the Uncanny Dodge meld for such a thing if I ever enter the docks, but with the antimagic cells I couldn't change the selection.

Initative - (1d20+3)[19]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, you beat the initiative of half of them...

Before you get a chance to react, another pair of daggers fly at you, sinking into your flesh and dealing (d4+3)[7] piercing, (3d6)[8] sneak attack, and (2d6)[9] humanbane damage and (d4+3)[5] piercing, (3d6)[13] sneak attack, and (2d6)[9] humanbane damage respectively. Following close behind them is a pair of hairless, gray-skinned creatures naked save for a dirty loincloth and another dagger each in their hands. They close the distance with you and grin wickedly.

edit: by my count, that puts you at having taken 103 damage total, and very, very dead.
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-12-21 at 02:36 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post
    Oh, this sounds like a fun build I look forward to seeing it in action.[
    Well, so much for that. Could have Blink Shirted out if I ever actually got to act.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Firbolg in the Playground

By the way its up to Rizban, but on occasion we used to allow players of dead PCs to make a character and start over right away instead of going through the long process of joining the queue...

Perhaps Rizban would allow for that?
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I don't think I'm interested. 'You take 100 damage from invisible enemies before you have a chance to do anything, no save' is just Rocks Fall You Die under a different name. If I died after something you could call a fight or they at least bothered to talk/taunt, fair enough, but if the fight starts and concludes without me so much as lifting a finger or getting a save I'm not a 'player' anymore. So I won't be.

6. - Top - End - #336

Cool no worries.

But in the spirit of fairness

I dont see why you would be entitled to rounds or actions from a prepared NPC group out to kill humans. As in AvB is NOT your usual tabletop rpg where the DM has to fudge the dice to keep the PCs alive and going forward on his storyline... it is a sandbox with deadly areas and not so deadly areas.

Why should the DM NOT use what is in that area (that something being enemies that can indeed react that way) but rather water it down so you can survive or get a chance?

Would you give a chance to the NPCs with your character? Meaning a chance to kill you or fight back when you numerical advantage and in general can attack from hiding and with lethal and excessive force?

7. - Top - End - #337
    Titan in the Playground

There is a difference between a hopeless fight, which is legitimate and I experienced before against Perry, and degrading the player to an irrelevant spectator.

Also, these guys were confident enough in their victory to use 8000 GP daggers as projectile weapons, but appearantly not confident enough to spend a couple seconds talking to me.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

well, you were warned that the docks at night were dangerous...

the opening encounter is cr 10.

it is not MEANT to be survivable by a 6th or 7th level character unless they get incredibly lucky. You were warned IC and OOC that the docks at night is a death sentence.

No, it's not a fair encounter. That, however, is the point of the docks at night... they're deadly.

also, the quartet of skulk rogues choosing not to talk to you has nothing to do with their confidence and everything to do with generations of racial hatred. No human will EVER be able to negotiate with them.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

I did say a hopeless fight is acceptable. Rocks Fall You Die is not, and that's exactly what this was.

I would've hoped having killed five watchmen would appease most factions in the docks, but I don't know their motivations so I might be wrong about that. Either way, the warnings are irrelevant as I wasn't here by choice.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

well, I followed the encounter the exact same way it's been done for every other person to enter the docks, followed every rule, and obeyed the dice as they fell. I don't understand why the hell you thought you'd get saving throws from their attacks.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

I didn't say that. Please don't put words in my mouth, that's very rude. It was just to illustrate I(as in player) was a non-factor in this 'fight'. Losing to a knockout spell in the surprise round when you fail the save? Fair enough. Failing the save against Death Attack or Drow poison? Fair enough.

But do this to any player
    'Here is an encounter. You don't get to act. You die. No save.'
    You honestly think that's no reason to quit then and there?
    Last edited by TheFallenOne; 2012-12-21 at 04:56 PM.

12. - Top - End - #342
    Titan in the Playground

'You take 100 damage from invisible enemies before you have a chance to do anything, no save'
    if you don't want words in your mouth, I suggest you not put them there yourself.

This encounter happened strictly by RAW. This encounter didn't care if you got to act or not, doesn't care if you were prepared for it or not.

Honestly, Rizban was tossing you a softball by exiling you to the docks instead of just beheading you. Being thrown in the docks at night is an execution, plain and simple. Next time, you might want to reconsider multiple homicide in broad daylight.

13. - Top - End - #343

You rolled initiative and did not act before them.

That is the 'test' that you failed. Could have had poisoned daggers as you say in the surprise round and you would then have rolled fort save. If you had failed the result would be the same no?

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Next time, you might want to reconsider multiple homicide in broad daylight.
    I was well prepared and had a good exit strategy with Blink Shirt and Cerulean Sandals. It took them Perry, a 7th level power perfectly countering my build and a ~6th level spell/power to stop my level 6 character. I had every reason to assume I can make it out as that degree of ressources is well beyond what I could have reasonably predicted.

This encounter happened strictly by RAW.
    So is putting an epic wizard against a first level party. I never accused you of breaking the rules(though I do wonder how they kept hidden after the first attacks as you can't Snipe in the surprise round).

'Here is an encounter. You don't get to act. You die. No save.'

I don't need to make a poll in the RPG subforum to know the vast majority would be very cross after this and likely ragequit. Do you disagree with this assessment?

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

honestly? it doesn't really matter a whole damn lot to me. The docks at night are not intended to be very fair or nice to 6th level humans who are vulnerable to sneak attacks. I was impressed you survived the surprise round, honestly. The fact you just *assumed* that killing five guards would impress them and convince them they'd like to talk with you meant that you didn't do squat to prepare yourself for when they did come.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Titan in the Playground

Prepare how? Sit down an hour to get the Uncanny Dodge meld I planned to shape if I ever enter the docks? Drink my Ebon Eyes potion to better see them after my question whether I still have my stuff was ignored?

I was impressed you survived the surprise round, honestly.
    Oh, this sounds like a fun build I look forward to seeing it in action.
    I struggle to find a way these two statements aren't contradictory...

17. - Top - End - #347

If I may say one last thing...

You claim that the Fortress already was incredibly tough and ruined your exit strategy because it had more defences than what you had anticipated.

That is not a DM fault in an open sandbox game. Encounters happen in set locations and those are NOT necessarily level appropriate. Going into the main GUARD facility and PRISON in a high fantasy world in a city that has a magical university a few blocks away and going through the HIGH SECURITY ward where SPIES from another EMPIRE are being held without first spending a few weeks in game time gathering information and learning details is for me incredibly unprepared.

Having heard about how deadly the docks are to the point the afformentioned Guard do NOT go there at night and send prisoners convicted of death there should also give you an indication of the what to expect.

Once more I am sorry you did not like how it ended. I had a character die in the same way in this area and so did many other people. AvB advertises as a sandbox... sandbox have high level areas and they are not forgiving.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenOne View Post
    Prepare how? Sit down an hour to get the Uncanny Dodge meld I planned to shape if I ever enter the docks?
    The reason you were kept in the magic suppression shackles was because you used your soulmelds to slaughter multiple guards. They wouldn't give you time to sit and reshape them for fear that you would just use them again, which you probably would have.

As was mentioned, you were warned about the dangers and even told in character that this was the means of your execution. Your character ignored the warnings given and openly walked through the Docks at night asking them to come out and play, even after being given time to walk a bit and look around, during which time you were specifically told that all doors and windows appears shut and bolted for security. Once combat started, you really didn't have a chance, but planswalker did give you a couple rounds before they showed up... I don't know what more to say.
    Spoiler: Links to my content threads
    Show
    Aldhaven - May 27, 2010 and ongoing.
    Aldhaven Rules and Homebrew (aldhaven.com)

Character Repository
    Homebrew List
    Quod tibi vis fieri, facias.