New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Western Meets Fantasy Game

Ok here we go, everyone post once with your character's name and a tidbit of backstory during the next 24 hours
    Player: OK, the password to the wifi is bruteforceandignorance

DM: is that password your expectation or plan?

Player:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Western Meets Fantasy Game

SamBurke reporting in. I'll choose the color Burgundy for Foresight.

Backstory coming.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Reverend Jeroboam Creedy

Spoiler
    Show
    A no-nonsense man of the cloth, Reverend Creedy is a lean, grizzled cleric with salt-and-pepper beard and hair, simple black clothes and a quick hand with both spell and mace. Born fifty-one years ago in the grain-producing farmlands of the then-frontier, he grew up as the second son of the local priest. His childhood was a combination of religious studies and back-breaking labour on the family farm, learning with every drop of sweat and ache that one must not shun work to truly serve one's flock.

When he came of age, young Jeroboam was sent east to study at an Erastili seminar, where the handsome young man came across the temptations of the civilized East. Unaccustomed to the treachery behind smiles and offered drinks, Jeroboam ended up squandering most of his coin in a doomed attempt to woo one of the local ladies. And when reality hit him, it hit him hard - in the form of a hard-fisted bouncer who beat up the love-sick puppy of a man while the object of his attraction laughed and mocked him in the bawdy house. Thrown out into the rain, bleeding and broken, Jeroboam came to realize the vileness of 'true' civilization. Somehow he managed to crawl back to his lodgings, and was nursed back to health by his friends and tutors.

When Jeroboam graduated as a fully-fledged cleric of Erastil, he was a changed man. The smiling, laughing young man had turned into a dour and stubborn preacher who left the city as soon as he was able. Returning home with his meager possessions, Jeroboam started his life as the minister of a young parish. From the east he still ordered books and newspapers, keeping himself abreast of what was happening in the world of faith and in the frontier. He even made a moderate amount of fame for himself by writing theology and observations of native history, but he never ventured east again. Quite the opposite: as years went by, he travelled further and further west, following the frontier and preaching to the men and women in these yet-untainted settlements.

It is with this religious fire that Jeroboam now heads towards Falcon Springs, intent on bringing the good word to the frontier - and to get away from the wretched allure of 'civilization'.

Oops... I think I got carried away there
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Howdy. Here's Justice Elijah Hazael, ex-demon, current-vigilante.

His tale:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Backstory to the backstory:
    Legend tells that this was once fertile ground, a holy land for those brave enough to seek it out, an Eden. But that was long ago. Centuries past, a war was fought, the final battle between good and evil that would decide the course of history. But it wasn't. It wasn't what the seers and soothsayers had foretold. As the forces of Heaven and Hell charged and withdrew, recoiled and retaliated, their strength waned, for they were equals. Neither side could finish the other, and, with morale broken, they returned to their domains. The paradise was now lost, the forces of chaos and malignity taking hold where there had once been beauty and life, reducing it to barren wastes. Thus is the legend of the Great Plains, as has been told by Orc-kind for generations.

His Story:
    When a man dies, his soul is claimed by divine forces to serve after life. Elijah Hazael had been a cruel, evil man, and so he was claimed by the earth. Of course, such a life is forgotten in time, as it was for him, when he became a Tiefling, one of the mortal servants of darkness. And so he served for centuries (Which was but a few years in the timelines of both the nether and higher realms), until the war came. He was a soldier, and he fought bravely and valiantly for his side, but as the conflict sludged on, he came to realize the horrors of what was happening, of what they were doing to one another. He could stand it no longer, and neither could many others. They exiled themselves, climbing back from the Abyss, back into the light of day.

He was among them when they met the cast-offs from the heavens, exiles like they were, the Aasimar. They met atop the Mountain, and together agreed that both sides had been wrong in the conflict, and that with forces combined, they could make things right.

Here came Zedechari, Lord of Order. It pained him to see such malevolent anarchy dominating what had once been shared. He struck a bargain with the exiles. They would be his Justices, preaching his word and delivering his light throughout the land. For this, they would join him in his Utopia when their time was up. They agreed. And so it was that they dispersed with their new roles.

For 3 score and 10 years, he has been doing so. It has been hard for him, as people tend not to trust demons. But he does not need their trust to do his duty, hunting criminals, collecting bounties. He rarely passes through a town twice in the same years. Falcon Springs is just another stop on the list.

Notes on Zedechari:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Holy Symbol: A Gavel
    Domains: Community, Glory, Law, Protection
    Favored Weapon: Warhammer

Also: dibs on this voice.
    Last edited by Chromascope3D; 2013-01-20 at 02:07 AM.

Sig by Mornings
    My Art!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The Widow Mrs. Haverford

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The Widow Mrs. Haverford married her husband Thomas some fourty-four years ago in Boston, when she was just a girl of a hundred and seven and he was a young man of twenty-three. When he passed away at age sixty she was shunned by her family for having married a human and his family for being the ageless nymph who'd stolen him away from them. So she liquidated her inheritance -- what remained after her in-laws got at it anyway -- and headed out West, hoping to leave her past behind.

A few months after arriving in UNNAMED TOWN she acquired the local saloon and house of ill-repute. The previous owner, known for watered-down whiskey and letting men do whatever they wanted to the girls, left to find his fortune in Mexico. Supposedly. Mrs. Haverford named her new business "I Merilwin" (elvish for "The Rose Maiden") and now the whiskey's less watered down and the girls are treated properly under threat of bullet and curse. She also provides a few rooms for rent and is the town's primary crafter of magical items.

Mrs. Haverford (Aira to the few who have gotten her first name out of her) is tall compared to most human women and curvier than most elves due to a love of human cuisine. Her blood-red hair hangs in ringlets just past her shoulders, and she continues to dress primarily in black years after her husband's death. She also regularly wears veils and dark glasses, which most people think are part of her mourning, but are actually for the sake of her sensitive eyes. Most of the town's men consider her both beautiful and frightening, and those foolish enough to think that just because she minds the whores she's available for hire have been taught harsh lessons.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Arlo "Brimstone" Huxley, goblin alchemist

Spoiler
    Show
    As a contract demolitionist, Arlo spends his time between railroad jobs working odd jobs, honing his craft, and surveying the future path of the railroad.

Still working on mechanics and fleshing out the back story.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

"Foresight"
    Spoiler
    Show

She'd been running for a long, long time. Her tribe couldn't use such a blind child. No company would hire her, no town accept her because of her unusual talents. Finally, he traveled further and further west, until he reached Falcon Springs, a town beyond anything else, full of only the toughest and least caring individuals anywhere. There and only there, she could ply the often misunderstood trade of a gypsy fortune teller, or whatever else would keep her alive just one more day.

Crappy and short. My apologies for both.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Here we go

Salazar
    Description
    Spoiler
    Show
    Before you stands a short, crimson scaled kobold. His skin appears scaly like a dragons, and his eyes glow red. Jutting through hole in over coat and out of his back are two small bat like wings. He wears a black hat and overcoat. On his gun holster is a revolver made of strange red and black metal.

Pic
    Spoiler
    Show

Background
    Spoiler
    Show
    Salazar grew up in a Kobold mining town. Never amounting to anything, after a long life he had the luck of meeting a devil. Promising his soul for a second life, the two made a deal. Salazar was reborn, however the demonic influence on his soul altered his body significantly. His scales shifted red, his eyes glowed red, and he grew wings. His people recognized him for what he was, and cast him out.

Exiled to human lands, he found other humanoids didn't know as much about kobolds as he thought. Many thought kobolds were supposed to have wings. Settling down he used his knowledge of metals to become the local blacksmith. He was considered one of the best gunsmiths in town. However in secret he began practicing, both at a gun fighting with his trusty weapon, and with weaving magic. He even began to discover how to forge magic weapons.

As of late, Salazar has begun to look for signs of adventure. He knows his life will not last forever, and he wants to say it amounted to something.

9. - Top - End - #9

OK, lets get things started.

It is currently mid day, what are ya'll doing (in character, obviously)

Wednesday, for those whom that matters to
    Last edited by Brass Dragon; 2013-01-22 at 03:08 PM.

Player:

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

I would probably be sitting down at some table, trying to tell people's fortunes.

QUESTION: Can I have a small tent? I have 0 GP, literally, but I also didn't factor in the tiny amount of money from Level 1.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I would probably be sitting down at some table, trying to tell people's fortunes.

QUESTION: Can I have a small tent? I have 0 GP, literally, but I also didn't factor in the tiny amount of money from Level 1.
    Wealth by level is assumed to include the money a character started with. So you do not have money for a tent.
    However a tent is only 10 gp. So if you would like to borrow 10gp, we can say our characters have met before and Foresight owes Salazar 10gp in gambling debt. Which would be hilarious that a fortune teller owes money for not properly foreseeing the outcome of a poker game.

Are we going to have a IC thread?
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2013-01-22 at 05:35 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

i think we'll be fine w/o an in character thread, just have anything out of character be in italics,

and sure, take a tent, or see if the barkeep (the widow haverford, a PC) would have let you done it there.

Player:

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brass Dragon View Post
    i think we'll be fine w/o an in character thread, just have anything out of character be in italics,

and sure, take a tent, or see if the barkeep (the widow haverford, a PC) would have let you done it there.
    OK. This is my plan for now: running it out of the back room of Haverford, if he's OK with that.

Question for Rokku: are you OK with me doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by CowMasterTrojan View Post
    Wealth by level is assumed to include the money a character started with. So you do not have money for a tent.
    However a tent is only 10 gp. So if you would like to borrow 10gp, we can say our characters have met before and Foresight owes Salazar 10gp in gambling debt. Which would be hilarious that a fortune teller owes money for not properly foreseeing the outcome of a poker game.

Are we going to have a IC thread?
    I like the backstory part. I'll owe you 20 GP, and claim that it was because I wanted you to have it at the time (perhaps you were in need of money?).

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Just for reference
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Dragon View Post
    Falcon springs itself is a few years old when the campaign begins, on the edge of the unknown frontiers of the west.

the area around the town is a bit dangerous, but the large presence of adventurers int he town has warded off most attempts at small attacks on the city.

the civilized world you all left behind is full of magics which solve most of your problems, out here in the frontier, you've had to learn how to provide for yourselves in new and curious ways.

Main reason for the movement is a combination of the spirit of adventure and scientific inquiry by many of the large cities in the east, they are curious of what new creatures or ruins lay in the west.

for races, humans are most common, but every race has a piece of the population pie.

Common gods are those of travelling or whimsy, like olidammara or fharlanghn. though, other gods from most every pantheon are widely worshiped as well

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Dusk. Falcon Springs. It had been a hot spring day, and it appeared spring would soon be over if this heat continued. The towns folk had stayed out of the sun if they could. Now that dusk was only a hour or two away, the temperature had dropped and they began to move about more. Emerging from the blacksmith building came a small kobold in a black hat, the town blacksmith.

Thankfully the local folk didn't know enough to know that wings and a tail were uncommon on a kobold, and no one bothered him about his fiendish heritage. The short jokes ran thin sometimes however...

Making his way into the local Tavern, The Rose Maiden as he called it since he spoke elven, he made his way to the bar. With minimum amounts of effort, he managed to climb the stool and sit down. As he did, his dark colored gun poked out from his coat momentarily. A item he always kept near. Taking off his hat, he wiped some of the soot from his forehead. "The usual; Whiskey, leave the bottle." he called to the elven barkeep. Casually, he glanced around the room.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

SamBurke: The Widow Mrs. Haverford would damn near insist on taking the poor nearly-blind girl in.

Brass Dragon: I'd prefer a seperate thread for the actual game to keep things clean and easier to read.

CowMasterTrojan: Did you get special permission to use Spell Combat/Spellstrike with your gun? Because those abilities require a melee weapon and nothing about Soul Forger obviates that. I don't think that's broken I'm just wondering if you ran it by the GM. Apologies if it's something that was discussed earlier and I just plain missed it!

And finally in case we don't get a separate IC thread started, Mrs. Haverford is getting the place ready for the lunch rush, and rousing the late-sleeping girls from bed so they can get ready for the work of the coming evening.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post
    SamBurke: The Widow Mrs. Haverford would damn near insist on taking the poor nearly-blind girl in.

Brass Dragon: I'd prefer a seperate thread for the actual game to keep things clean and easier to read.

CowMasterTrojan: Did you get special permission to use Spell Combat/Spellstrike with your gun? Because those abilities require a melee weapon and nothing about Soul Forger obviates that. I don't think that's broken I'm just wondering if you ran it by the GM. Apologies if it's something that was discussed earlier and I just plain missed it!

And finally in case we don't get a separate IC thread started, Mrs. Haverford is getting the place ready for the lunch rush, and rousing the late-sleeping girls from bed so they can get ready for the work of the coming evening.
    DONE! I can give you some help, or at least some notoriety. Plus, within 60 Feet, I can practically see anything! Kind of.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rokku View Post

The archtype I took changes it so it only works with one weapon of choice. It didn't discriminate against ranged weapons, so I took that to mean he could use it with a ranged weapon. I made the character in a hurry however to get in the game, so I did not run it by Brass Dragon. If he is opposed to it, I would be happy to make necessary changes.

I also would prefer a IC thread.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

The archtype I took changes it so it only works with one weapon of choice. It didn't discriminate against ranged weapons, so I took that to mean he could use it with a ranged weapon. I made the character in a hurry however to get in the game, so I did not run it by Brass Dragon. If he is opposed to it, I would be happy to make necessary changes.

I also would prefer a IC thread.
    Third'ing the IC bit.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

20. - Top - End - #20

sorry, i posted the ic thread a bit ago, but didnt link it, if you could repost your stuff

and i dont really mind your gun thing

Player:

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm terribly sorry, but the way things turned out... I have to bow out. My character sheet is still very much under construction, and everyone else seems to be in such a rush to get started. Currently being in the hospital (nothing life-threatening, just an infection that requires an IV drop) doesn't help either.

I just hate to do a half-assed job. My apologies.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post
    I'm terribly sorry, but the way things turned out... I have to bow out. My character sheet is still very much under construction, and everyone else seems to be in such a rush to get started. Currently being in the hospital (nothing life-threatening, just an infection that requires an IV drop) doesn't help either.

thank you for your interest anyways.

Player:

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by North_Ranger View Post

That's terribly sad. Perhaps we could wait a day or two for people to finish things up? Maybe a little more?

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

That's terribly sad. Perhaps we could wait a day or two for people to finish things up? Maybe a little more?
    A day or two wouldn't make much of a difference, unfortunately. I'm sorry

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Are we going with the whole thing about me owing you?
    My understanding was that you would just find some divine reason to just give it to him for some reason. If you would like to make it where you owe him money, I can change his response slightly and you wouldn't even have to change yours.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

What happened to Cdr.Fallout? Did he bow out?

27. - Top - End - #27

by the looks of it

by the way, the forums seem to have a serious DM shortage, it isnt that hard to dm, anyone know why?

Player:

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

My understanding was that you would just find some divine reason to just give it to him for some reason. If you would like to make it where you owe him money, I can change his response slightly and you wouldn't even have to change yours.
    Whatever you prefer is fine with me.

Also, I'm all for extending the deadline on submissions, but running the game until then. It's just like opening a new recruitment thread to keep an old game going.

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

29. - Top - End - #29

by all means, ive lost the thread, but id love to have you as my arbiter in this, so find people, and have them post their character here

Player:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

the original thread can be found here if you would like to utilize it.