New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Comics] Are We in the New 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Haley View Post
    It's Arcade, it'll most likely all be a simulation in the end and they've already dropped hints Arena isn't what it seems, book still sucks though.

And thank god Gail is off Batgirl, the title sucked hard with her under it.
    Let's hope so.

Also: No, you got it backwards. As stated above, she was dead set AGAINST removing Steph and cure Barbara. But as she said, if she hadn't written it, someone else would have. At least she tried to limit the suckiness.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I skimmed Avengers Arena in the store.

Good god, it's the most superficial, fanwanking, self indulgent pile of crap that's ever come out of Marvel. Every single action done is out of character. All the diologue is the most mindless drivel that's ever been written in a cheap single issue floppy, and in general I felt so angry I wanted to physically harm something after. I didn't even LIKE anybody who got killed off this time and I feel this emotional!

The one solace I had was that of all the comics sold that day at my local store, Arena was the only one that had a whole stack that looked 99% untouched. NOBODY wanted this crock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayngfet View Post
    I don't care what you feel.
    That pretty much sums up the Jayngfet experience.
    something something Jayngfet experience.

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Well, the problem for this is that, without time passing in a linear matter and characters aging, you can't sustainably introduce new characters and they have no legend to live up to, because the x-men only formed a few months ago.
    The telescoping timeline goes back further than that. It probably advanced around 15-20 years. Spidey, Human Torch and the original X-Men started off as precocious 15 year olds, and became a group of 30somethings.

15 years of heroism is a long legacy. Even ignoring things like the Invaders, which carry things back further. That's basically the entire lifetime of the heroes in question. As far back as they can remember ther have been real superheroes. And there definitely exists the possibility that a bunch of 15-18 year old heroes will age up enough to "Grow up".

4. - Top - End - #244
    Banned

Mettle dies. Freaking Mettle dies. Arcade killed motherfrakking Mettle.

5. - Top - End - #245

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Mettle dies. Freaking Mettle dies. Arcade killed motherfrakking Mettle.
    With one hit.

Which is what gets me.

Mettle didn't die in an epic battle. He didn't even have a meaningful death since X-23 apparently kills Hazmat a month later.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    No one should be allowed to write Barbara Gordon except for Gail Simone.
    You could disagree, but you would be wrong.
    I like Simone, I like her alot, and alot of it probably had to do with editorial but the way she wrote Babs was as a know it all smart ass who was neither intelligent nor funny. The book was bad and none of the atagonist were interesting, and I still can't get over that stupid "You were always meant to be Batgirl" line. The run was barely mediocre and I'm ****ing glad it's over, other than Secret Six and her creator owned things her stuff lately has been subpar. Still trying to think of which was lamer, her Batgirl run or her Wonder Woman run.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Titan in the Playground

Still trying to think of which was lamer, her Batgirl run or her Wonder Woman run.
    WHAT???

That was the best WW run EVER. Not ironic here.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

What? Better than Rucka? Better than Pereze? Better than Marz? *****, you must be on some good **** to think it's up there with those

9. - Top - End - #249
    Banned

Goblin

I like Simone, I like her alot, and alot of it probably had to do with editorial but the way she wrote Babs was as a know it all smart ass who was neither intelligent nor funny. The book was bad and none of the atagonist were interesting, and I still can't get over that stupid "You were always meant to be Batgirl" line. The run was barely mediocre and I'm ****ing glad it's over, other than Secret Six and her creator owned things her stuff lately has been subpar. Still trying to think of which was lamer, her Batgirl run or her Wonder Woman run.
    I dorpped her Batgirl run after the first issue, but the point here isn't if it was good or bad, but that she simply deserved more than being fired via E-Mail. New editor didn't had the decency to talk to her in person, which is just disgusting.

Also, you shouldn't tell somebody that they're on drugs if they like things you hate. You can dislike their opinion, but that doesn't give you right to pass a judgment on them.

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

What? Better than Rucka? Better than Pereze? Better than Marz? *****, you must be on some good **** to think it's up there with those
    I like those kind of stories. Lighthearted, lampshade-hanging. "Second most famous chest in the world".

The writing had me LOLing at least once an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Man on Fire View Post
    I dorpped her Batgirl run after the first issue, but the point here isn't if it was good or bad, but that she simply deserved more than being fired via E-Mail. New editor didn't had the decency to talk to her in person, which is just disgusting.

Also, you shouldn't tell somebody that they're on drugs if they like things you hate. You can dislike their opinion, but that doesn't give you right to pass a judgment on them.
    I dropped it after the 5th issue. But I think the problem is more with the New 52 in general; I dropped almost all my favorite books after the New 52 started after 1-5 issues. (The only one I liked is Supergirl, mostly because I really liked her introduction and origin story).

And yes, I definitely agree with your second paragraph.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-12-13 at 08:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Dwarf in the Playground

The one solace I had was that of all the comics sold that day at my local store, Arena was the only one that had a whole stack that looked 99% untouched. NOBODY wanted this crock.
    Regardless, it's probably selling pretty well thanks to Marvel's double shipping + first issue bumps.

It's a shame Walker got stuck with a book the premise of which I'm not fond of, I like his art.
    Last edited by Kalmarvho; 2012-12-13 at 11:19 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Banned

Guys. Guys.
    They've dropped hints Arena is "more than it seems". Arcade is a chump. He deals with VR. Mettle can't be killed in a single hit because he is motherfrakking Mettle. Arena is a VR simulation and Marvel is purposefully trolling us. It is the only answer. It is. Mettle is alive. He is.
    I'm not crying, I tell you.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, I'd be willing to bet ten bucks that the big plot twist is that this IS VR. As many people have said, if Arcade acquired cosmic powers, he'd probably go after the X-Men or Avengers first, not some random kids he's never tangoed with before.

Mettle's probably still alive.

Spoiler
    Show
    And he'll probably sacrifice himself later on to stop Arcade. DOUBLETWIST!

14. - Top - End - #254
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalmarvho View Post
    Actually, I'd be willing to bet ten bucks that the big plot twist is that this IS VR. As many people have said, if Arcade acquired cosmic powers, he'd probably go after the X-Men or Avengers first, not some random kids he's never tangoed with before.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOhh... I forsee a TOTALLY PREDICTABLE PLOT. How... "refreshing".

15. - Top - End - #255
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    No, see,
    Spoiler
    Show
    It is VR. But if you die in the simulation, you die totally for realz! So even though it didn't happen, everyone who died is still dead.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

If you read the comics of the big two, expecting predictable plots is a losing endeavour.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Titan in the Playground

If you read the comics of the big two, expecting predictable plots is a losing endeavour.
    Shouldn't that be unpredictable plots? Also, evil twin and or mind control at 2 'o clock

Oh and I miss the old-school Arcade. Where is the life-size murder-pinball machine??? And bellbottoms?
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2012-12-14 at 02:51 AM.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Banned

Oh and I miss the old-school Arcade. Where is the life-size murder-pinball machine??? And bellbottoms?
    Old school Arcade had a kinf-of-recent encounter with X-factor, featuring (you guessed) giant pinballs.
    PD's X-Factor is quite badass.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sorry, 'unpredictable' plots, rather.

Anyway, this is grimdark Arcade, we'll see whether or not the substance matches up to the flash.

I wish this weren't an ongoing, if it were a limited we might have a better idea of how silly the whole thing is going to get.

20. - Top - End - #260

...ok... and now spider-man's new turn after 700, according to rumor and what's apparently a piece of a scan I've seen floating around...

Spoiler
    Show

Apparently Doctor Octopus gets the rest of Peter's memories and says in his body while the real Passes the mantle for ...badly explained reasons. So now DOCTOR OCTOPUS is the new Spider-Man. With Peters blessing. Also he bones MJ with his face, because at this point why not?

...as if people didn't hate Scarlett Spider enough in the 90's, Slott is evidently deciding that they need to do it like that, but even more grating and illogical.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2012-12-14 at 07:28 AM.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Titan in the Playground

...ok... and now spider-man's new turn after 700, according to rumor and what's apparently a piece of a scan I've seen floating around...

Spoiler
    Show

Apparently Doctor Octopus gets the rest of Peter's memories and says in his body while the real Passes the mantle for ...badly explained reasons. So now DOCTOR OCTOPUS is the new Spider-Man. With Peters blessing. Also he bones MJ with his face, because at this point why not?

...as if people didn't hate Scarlett Spider enough in the 90's, Slott is evidently deciding that they need to do it like that, but even more grating and illogical.
    What... I don't even...

*skulldesk*

What in the actual frag?

They can't be serious. They surely can't be serious.

What frightens me is I can easily see they are.
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-12-14 at 07:34 AM.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show

With Peter's blessing?! I seriously doubt that. I don't like the whole 'doc ock is spidey' thing, but I've seen it played as temporary and all. I mean, Slott is a pretty good writer.

23. - Top - End - #263

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    What... I don't even...

*skulldesk*

What in the actual frag?

They can't be serious. They surely can't be serious.

What frightens me is I can easily see they are.
    I found the thing I saw before. Unless the fakers are very good, very consistent, and are able to turn out professional quality work imitating the style of the artist doing 700, yeah, this is the real deal.

I mean, remember how for the last year Slott was going on about this specific issue CHANGING EVERYTHING? Like, he said he honestly couldn't believe they're letting him do what he submitted and that he'd unplug his internet around now just to stop from the massive backlash? What did you really think he'd do that bad other than this? Kill off a character who'd get an immediate legacy and be back inside two years(because no way will marvel stop printing spider-man), go the logical route and have Kaine replace Pete? Being back Ben Riley? All reasonable suggestions, but nothing to the scale Slot implied there'd be problems.

...and THIS is the breaking point for me. I was able to ignore Johns's horrible writing. I was able to creep through their horrible staff treatment(though I hate myself for it in hindsight). I was able to weather through the repeated, relentless events. Even Avengers Arena was just something to pretend doesn't exist and ignore.

But now I'm done. The big two are officially not only dead to me, but as far as I'm concerned went out of business somewhere in the last decade. It sucks to have to remove current Demon Knights and Wonder Woman from my list, and truth be told I was holding out some vain, stupid, bull headed hope for Superior before this point.

I suppose my list is down to Lord of the Jungle, Godzilla: Half Century War, Orc Stain, and whatever else interests me.
    Last edited by Jayngfet; 2012-12-14 at 08:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry, but that sounds interesting to me. Old-school comic craziness.

Clone saga Peter replacement was to give Spiderman a more edgy, teen-friendly persona without baggage. I doubt this one is going to be anything similar. Unless teens have suddenly started to be into doughy middle-aged men with confusing backstories.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

.......Wait what? So you had him have a deal with the devil.....TO PASS THE MANTLE ON ANYWAY!

WHAT THE ****! WHAT THE ****ING AAAAAAAA

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    .......Wait what? So you had him have a deal with the devil.....TO PASS THE MANTLE ON ANYWAY!

WHAT THE ****! WHAT THE ****ING AAAAAAAA
    Um... Why are you surprised and frustrated? This is how comicbook storytelling works, if you think you can get more readers doing it.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Because Im generally still young. Spidey was the first comic I ever read, and....Im just sad. I just want them to leave the poor bastard alone.

OMD was the worst thing ever to happen to him, but just how casually they throw him like a rag just shows how much care they have for the character and writing decent stories.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-12-14 at 09:49 AM.

28. - Top - End - #268
    Titan in the Playground

Plus side to all this: Linkara's going to have enough material to keep AT4W going for decades.

29. - Top - End - #269

Because Im generally still young. Spidey was the first comic I ever read, and....Im just sad. I just want them to leave the poor bastard alone.

OMD was the worst thing ever to happen to him, but just how casually they throw him like a rag just shows how much care they have for the character and writing decent stories.
    At least your first comic gets attention. Though honestly that's probably not a good thing at this point. Try starting out with plastic man. The only good thing is that plastic man never gets weird retcons like this hacked into him.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hardly. The clone saga was a way bigger cluster----. We just tend to remember One More Day because it's more recent and because people have been vocally yelling about it for years.