New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Post Chameleon PrC [3.5]

Hi Everyone,
    I've been lurking in the forums for a while, but this is the first time I've run into something that I really needed additional ideas on. So, be nice please.

I'm playing a human character (Gene) who is basically a "Jack of all trades" consultant for hire. As such I decided to play a Factotum. He's geared a lot toward being sneaky and relies probably a bit too much on his couple of spells a day. So far I have him as a level 4 Factotum.

I'm looking at some PrC possibilities for him (we are probably going to end somewhere between levels 16 or 18, so I'm planning through to 18). I'm NOT looking to be super optimized, I'm mostly looking for things that fit the character idea. My DM is also a bit... Loose on rolling the dice, so I prefer to not use things that require a lot of dice rolls to be effective (Like Luck feats). Also, I have a preference for magic in general. As a comment.

Here are the current ideas I'm looking at:
    Factotum 5/Chameleon 7/War weaver 5/Mind Bender 1 (Using mindsight)
    Factotum 5/Chameleon 7/War weaver 5/Soul Knife 1 (So that I always have a weapon, even if it is subpar).
    Factotum 5/Chameleon 7/War weaver 5/Abjurant Champion 1 (To use my extended and improved armors through the weaver class feature)
    Factotum 8/Chameleon 10
    Factotum 9/Argent Savant 5/Force missile Mage 4 (Sound cool, but I can't spam my spells...)
    Factotum 5/Chameleon 7/Force Missile Mage 5/Argent Savant 1 (As above, but I CAN spam spells...)

I have access to everything core and pretty much any printed supplement. So... Basically, no online stuff.

I'd appreciate any ideas you guys have. Thanks!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Chameleon PrC [3.5]

Factotum 8/Chameleon 10 is about as good as it gets, honestly. Spellcasting from any list, a ton of useful abilities and Cunning Surge is hard to beat.

Don't forget that you can't use Chameleon's casting to qualify for any prestige classes or feats - it makes the various War Weaver and Abjurant Champion builds a little less viable, unfortunately.
    Optimization Showcase in the Playground

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD
    IC LXXVI: Talos
    IC LXXV: Alphonse Louise Constant
    IC XLIX: Babalon, Queen of Bones
    IC XLV: Dead Mists
    IC XL: Lycus Blackbeak
    IC XXXIX: AM-1468
    IC XXXV: Parsifal the Fool
    IC XXX: Jal Filius

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spellguard of Silverymoon pairs very well with War Weaver, if you can swing the pre-reqs.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Don't forget that you can't use Chameleon's casting to qualify for any prestige classes or feats - it makes the various War Weaver and Abjurant Champion builds a little less viable, unfortunately.
    Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that. My DM is allowing me to use my Factotum "casting" to qualify. Which I'm not going to argue about with him. :-)

5. - Top - End - #5

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Spellguard of Silverymoon pairs very well with War Weaver, if you can swing the pre-reqs.
    I've never heard of that class before. I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ignis6669 View Post
    Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that. My DM is allowing me to use my Factotum "casting" to qualify. Which I'm not going to argue about with him. :-)
    That does make it a bit better, although I'd still stand by Factotum 8/Chameleon 10. Cunning Surge is just that good.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

7. - Top - End - #7

NinjaGuy

That does make it a bit better, although I'd still stand by Factotum 8/Chameleon 10. Cunning Surge is just that good.
    Yeah, that's my temptation. But.... I don't know, I wonder if maybe some other abilities might be better? Or more characteristic for my character type? *sighs* Maybe I'm over thinking it?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

In my experience, mid to high level D&D is entirely about action economy. Cunning Surge gives you a huge advantage in that realm.

That said, I did forget that no online sources means no Font of Inspiration, and that's really the kicker for factota (factotums? factoti?). Cunning Surge is still an incredible ability, but you won't be able to spam it. Which is probably for the best - spamming Cunning Surge can be a bit much for a lot of DMs.

Former projects:
    Shadowcaster Handbook
    Archer Build Compendium

Iron Chef Awards!
    Spoiler
    Show

GOLD

9. - Top - End - #9

NinjaGuy

That said, I did forget that no online sources means no Font of Inspiration, and that's really the kicker for factota (factotums? factoti?). Cunning Surge is still an incredible ability, but you won't be able to spam it. Which is probably for the best - spamming Cunning Surge can be a bit much for a lot of DMs.
    Yeah, if I go that route I'll have to.... Convince my DM that Font isn't going to be the worst thing ever. He's normally pretty good about letting me run the mechanics that I want, so it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully. *crosses fingers*