New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

The Formidably Maid, like most taverns on the dockside of Port Peril, was a rowdy, rambunctious den of thieving scum. Of course, most taverns in the shackles could be described as such, but it was more so in Port Peril than anywhere else, which was the closest thing to a capital city in these islands. It is the home of the Hurricane King and the biggest city in the shackles, and it is here that pirates go to sell their plunder, boast tales of the high seas, and recruit their crew.

It is also here that you've stopped by. What are all of you doing?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Steve's Game: Skulls and Shackles 1

Kal saunters into the joint with the smile of a winner. He stood to make a small fortune with his share of his ship's successful voyage. As soon as he returned to Sargava, he could settle down and open his own apothecary shop, like the one he should have had in his home.

Whatever, tonight he'd celebrate instead of brooding. Some drinks at the nearest tavern — Within sight of his ship — would go down just fine, thank you very much.

Smiling at the barkeep, he orders a shot of the local hooch. With a silent toast to himself, he downs his glass and orders a second.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Walking into the tavern, Bizkut took a quick look around, wondering what kind of trouble this place would bring. Walking over to a table with a single chair, he took a seat, setting his pack and weapons against the wall. Waving to one of the serving wenches, he ordered meat, bread and ale.

As he waited for his order, he thought back to the past week. He had been traveling by ship for awhile, ever since he'd left the northern lands to find a 'new life.' Whatever the future held, he was happy to be off the ship - seven days of ocean travel had been enough for a land-lubber like himself. Oh, it had it's charms, but there was something about being ashore that made him feel comfortable.

Regardless, Bizkut would spend a day or two here, and decide where to go next. Back aboard another ship, or head inland? Only tomorrow could answer that one.

When his meal arrived, he smiled to the wench and gave her an extra silver. "My thanks, lass. Uh, any chance you'll get a bard in here tonight?" Small talk might not come naturally to him, but Bizkut was quickly learning the value of establishing rapport with those around you.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Drex stolls into the room, a clasic pirate coat and hat, making im look like he owned the place although he still had a lot to grow into. He checks the ships that were recruiting today, none seems that interesting until he looks at the Wormwood, fascinating, the captain looks pretty horrible and the other one next to him, also seems pretty repulsive, he preffers ships with class, like the last ship he'd been on, pity that after someone misfired their gun, the ship had set on fire. Deciding that he'd wait for tomorrows ships to dock, Drex walks towards the bar and orders a glass of finest rum, he had loads of money on him at the moment from his last ship and he really ought to find a gunsmith, but after the first one he went to got burnt down and they seem to be dissapearing from all across the shackles, he changes his mind and just sits there admiring the barmaids and sipping his pricey drink.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Soon after the flamboyant pirate's arrival, the tavern door swings open again. Expecting odd glances and whispers among the too-tall, non-feathered monkeys that seem to be infesting every damn island, port and whorehouse in the Shackles, Cho-Tak walks inside, his talons scraping the floor as he makes his way inside. It was always like that when a tengu walked in; especially one walking alone and bearing the tell-tale signs of a pirate. Cho-Tak certainly did, wearing a worn suit of leather lamellar, a bow and a quiver on his back, an axe and a sword on his belt. On his head he wore a tricorne with an emerald green parrot feather stuck in it, and the backpack he lugged with him probably told everyone in the tavern that this jinx eater was shipless.

Go on and gawk, Cho-Tak mused as he looked around, trying to see if there were any other tengu in the establishment. But don't bother me unless you have a deal to propose. Finding himself an empty table, the garrulous-looking birdman sits down and quorks at the nearest barmaid.

"You! Get me some ale and be quick about it!" Cho-Tak calls out, staring angrily at the barmaid.
    IN MEMORIAM 1983-2013. Bot as necessary.

Halforums.com - For the love of God, don't ask about the steak.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bizkut glanced over at the birdman that walked in. If the halfling had a chip on his shoulder about his size, this one had a chip about his entire being. Stalking over to an empty table, it (he?) demanded service, while aggressively looking around the bar.

Not needing the grief of a fight based on some imagined slight, Bizkut kept to himself. Brushing his unkempt hair back, his bright green eyes continued to survey the room, wondering what other surprises the evening might bring.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Turning his beaked head around, Cho-Tak caught a glimpse of the halfling looking at him - and then turning his eyes away.

"What are you looking at, slip?" the tengu asked in a raspy crow's quork, his hard beak clicking as he stared down at the little runt of a man.
    Last edited by North_Ranger; 2012-10-29 at 10:48 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

"What are you looking at, slip?"

Bizkut froze for a moment, eyes hardening as they flashed backed to the birdman. Reaching back, he pulled the greatsword against the wall and set it on the table. "A dead man, from the looks of things back here. Or should I say, "Caw, caw, caw!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Great ... you just had to go there ... I was just keeping the board running, but now we gotta fight.

Oh, and Bizkut, his greatsword not-withstanding, is NOT very intimidating, just so you can respond accordingly.

That being said, I hope you have a way out of this one, cuz you basically just poked one of my psychological flaws ...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

"You have to speak up, slip. I can't hear you all the way up here", Cho-Tak answered in kind, black eyes staring down at the halfling. Climbing up on his chair, the tengu jumped on the table, black talons scratching the worn wood as he squat down.

It wasn't a conscious reaction, the way he tilted his head to the side as he looked at the halfling and the blade on the table - the way a crow would sharply twist its head from side to side as it looked around. "That's a fine-looking blade you got there, slip", the tengu spoke up again. "Who'd you steal it from?" he continued, this time with just a tad less hostility in his voice, and just a tad more curiosity. Maybe even an inkling of humor.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:

Heh, sorry about that... It's one of my psychological flaws, I guess. I just can't let any opening for a quick jab go

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

"That's a fine-looking blade you got there, slip", the tengu spoke up again. "Who'd you steal it from?"

Bizkut didn't move, but in the same quiet voice he responded, "Yes, from the last person to call me slip." Pulling the blade partially out from the sheath, he gave a humorless smile. "Come closer and see. I'm sure you'll like it ... it's shiny!"

Spoiler
    Show
    No worries ... I think that's the biggest hurdle for games where the characters are less than 'heroic.' Selfish / Evil / Self-centered / Survivalist folks are less likely to be interested in making friends. I suppose we'll have to make it work
    Last edited by Starbin; 2012-10-29 at 11:38 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"What, you think me a magpie? Did I just grow green and blue feathers outta my ass?" Cho-Tak laughed. "And no thanks. I prefer gold and silver and jewels over steel. Besides, I've got my own."

With that, the squatting tengu pulled out a well-cleaned and -oiled bastard sword from its sheath, placing it point-down on the table. "See? Mine's shiny, too", he spoke and grinned - or at least that's the best way to describe the tugging of facial muscles around the edges of his beak.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kal

As you down your shots, a man on the stool next to you flags down the barkeep. His face was flushed, and his speech was a bit slurred, but he managed to flag him down.

"Barkeep! Hey! Barkeep!"

"Hnnn?" grunted the barkeep.

"I was just thinkin' 'bout the sign ya got out front," said the drunk.

"Hnnn?"

"Well, its just that it says 'The Formidably Maid' out dere, but it just don't make no sense. Now, I ain't no scholar or anything, but doesn't that violate some rule of grammer or somethin'?"

"Hnnn."

"I mean, it should say 'Formidable' right? 'The Formidable Maid'? That sounds a lot better I should think. Who managed to bungle [I]that[I] up anyhow? I mean, did the guys who built this place not take any grammer lessons, or are ya just too..."

"Hnnn!"

The barkeeps rebuttle was to grab the man by the hair in his meaty fist and slam his face into the counter. The drunkard slumped to the floor unconsious, leaving behind some teeth and a few drops of blood on the bars surface. The barkeep serves you another shot as some bar patrons dragged the man's body outside.

"Don't ask about the sign," grunted the barkeep.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bizkut and Cho-Tak

"Hey! Would ya mind takin your grudge outside," called the barkeep, as he finished wiping the serving counter with an old used rag. "I just got done cleaning up the last fight."

A serving wrench comes to your table, carrying two mugs of foaming ale. She was a different barmaid than the one that Cho-Tak had just barked at, but perhaps he just managed to scare her off. She looked boyish with her short cropped hair, and seemed a bit too young to be serving as a barmaid.

"Your drinks, sirs," she said demurely, placing them down and leaving as fast as she could, eager it seemed to get away from the angry bird and halfling.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

"No grudge here, boss", Cho-Tak said, giving the innkeep a glance. "Just having a friendly discussion betwixt two swordsmen. Ain't that right, slip?"

This time the tengu seemed not to be mocking the halfling, but using that moniker like a nickname. However, it was the sight of the drunkard falling on the floor that made the feathery rascal look up.

"If you'll excuse me", the tengu said and jumped off the table. Sheathing his blade he walked up to the unconscious drunkard, prodded him a couple of times with his foot - and then started emptying his pockets without a second thought.

"Poor, poor fellow", he muttered. "Can't leave you lyin' about with your purse out in the open. I'll just keep an eye on it until he comes to."

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm guessing it's a Perception check to see to it that the drunken sod's pockets are thoroughly cleaned

(1d20+8)[11]

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drex

As you admire the barmaids you hear a rustle beside you as someone sat down on the stool next to yours. Turning around you see that it is a pretty young woman with long dark red bangs, and from her tricorn hat to the sailor tattoos down her arms to the jolly roger that hung around her neck by a silver chain she looked every bit like a pirate. She chuckled bemusedly as an unconcious man was dragged away.

"Looks like someone asked about the sign again," she said. She tossed a silver piece down on the serving counter.

"Barkeep! Some rum. Doesn't matter what kind, just leave the bottle."

She turns back to you, one corner of her lips turned up in a smirk as she seemed to size you up.

"So, you gotta ship?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

"What, you think me a magpie? Did I just grow green and blue feathers outta my ass?"

Bizkut shook his head. "Nope, I assumed that was your a$$." When the birdman pulled out his own sword and said, "See? Mine's shiny, too." Bizkut shrugged. But before he could respond, an altercation at the bar left one man unconscious and bleeding, and the bartender grunting at them to take their fight outside.

"No grudge here, boss", Cho-Tak said, giving the innkeep a glance. "Just having a friendly discussion betwixt two swordsmen. Ain't that right, slip?"

Bizkut nodded, jaws clenched and murder in his eyes yet again. However, he didn't move, simpy saying, "Maggie's right ... nothing worth fighting over here." When the young wench came up, he nodded and took the ale, setting it down as he watched the tengu flit over to the unconscious man and start searching him.

He wondered if anyone was going to do something, so he sat and watched the room for reactions from the guests.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception check: (1d20+7)[26]

17. - Top - End - #17

"Well hello there, I'm between ships at the moment, but I'm always on the lookout if a good offer comes up. The names Drex, I'm a surgeon and a gunslinger extroadinaire. What are you doing in part peril, this is no place for young, attractive women such as yourself?"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kal watches the proceedings with undisguised amusement. He had considered leaving when it looked as though a fight would break out, but he was comfortable where he was, and things seemed to have calmed down. Well, he'd be sure not to sass this barkeep, he mused as he ordered another drink.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bizkut looked around the bar, wondering what to do with a drunken sailor. The tavern was crowded that night, but other than that damnable crow nobody seemed to care all that much. At one corner of the bar, he saw a man and woman chatting, and on the other end a half-elven man was gleefully downing shots. The rest was a blur of pirates drinking, singing, gambling, and in one case making a show of throwing knives.

There was, however, one group of pirates in the far corner looking out at the scene. One man nods his head towards the fallen drunk and two of his entourage made a bee line towards him, shoving the bird out of the way as they grab the man by the arms.

"Out of the way, ya scavenger," says one of them, "we take care of our own here."

And with that, they dragged him out of the bar, but not before Cho-Tak filches - I mean bilkes - I mean started to look after the eight pieces of silver that were in his pocket.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kal

"Impressive," says a voice. Behind you, there is a man with a purple scarf wrapped around his head and a stubbled beard. He nods his head, approving of your constitution.

"A man only drinks like that when he's got something to celabrate. So what happened to you? Get divorced?" He laughs at his own joke.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drex

The woman laughs, "Yes, you're right. This seems hardly a place for a beautiful young woman. Perfect place if you happen to be a pirate though."

The bartender brings her drink with a grunt, and she wastes no time taking a long deep swig from the bottle. With a quarter of its contents gone, she sets the bottle down again and firmly shakes your hand.

"Sandara Quinn. I have to admit, I'm surprised that you don't actually have your own ship. You just seem to have that air about you. I'm eager to sign onto a crew myself."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kal chuckles, and slurs his reply just a little. "If you think of a ship as a woman, then I guess I did. Never really gave it much thought, but I guess I can see how the analogy came about."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2012-10-31 at 10:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Drex takes another swig of his fine run befor answering. "Well, with you in my crew, I think I could scrape up some money to buy a ship. But at the moment I making my money jumping between different pirate ships. You could accompany me to my next crew and we could then get to know each other a bit better." Drex finishes with a wink.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Cho-Tak nimbly jumps aside, though he scowls at the men as they drag their besotted comrade away.

"Besmara piss in your drink, monkey", Cho-Tak mutters in the tengu tongue as the drunkard is removed from the premises. After that, he casually checks the contents of the little pouch he grabbed. Hmh. Eight silver. Not bad.. He picks up three of the coins and drops them on the counter in front of the innkeeper. "Food. And a pitcher of ale, two cups. The slip drinks with me", he says and at the same time, grabs one of the drunkard's knocked-off teeth from the counter. Grinning, he rubs the tooth clean against his sleeve and then pockets it, snickering to himself as he walks back to the table.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Bizket raised an eye at the group of scruffy men that grabbed the unconscious drunk and took him out, claiming he was one of their own. Shaking his head, he returned to his drink, when he noticed the birdman approaching his table. Watching silently, he waited to see if the strange person would actually join him, or going to turn aside suddenly.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kal

"Ah, so that's how it is," remarked the man as he clumsily settled into a nearby stool, seeming a bit tipsy himself.

"Well, since you seem so intent on getting drunk as fast as you can, how's about we make a sport of it," he says. He reaches into his vest pocket and pulls out a small coin pouch and drops it onto the counter, which makes a very satisfying clinking noise.

"How's about we make a little wager? It's simple really, we have ourselves a drinkin' game. Which ever one of us can hold the most spirits takes the pot, whaddaya say?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Drex

"Hey, slow down now," says Sandara, smiling, "I'm not nearly drunk enough yet."

She takes another long draught from her bottle.

"Still, I just might take you up on that. A girl can't be too careful when she signs up with a pirate crew after all," she jokes, and nudges your arm with her shoulder.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bizkut and Cho-Tak

The young boyish barmaid returns to your table, carrying a tray of food. A pot of reefclaw stew, spiced chellish bread, and a bowl of assorted fruit to prevent scurvey.

"The rest of your order, sirs," she says. She then turns back and disappears into the crowd.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Cho-Tak laughs and claps his downy hands together as he eyes the dishes before him hungrily.

"Dig in, slip", he says with a grin to Bizkut. "This one's on me. One swordsman to another", he says as he starts ladling the heady-smelling stew onto his plate.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Everytime he tried to relaxe with this birdman, it continued to use the term slip. It was a clear reminder of days when that was his only name ... a name associated with beatings and beratings, long nights in chains without food, and generally unpleasant times.

With visible effort, he inclined his head in thanks for the meal, slowly starting to eat the food. After a moment of chewing, he swallowed and spoke quietly. "My name is Bizkut. And you are?"