New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses (IC) Thread #3

"Well. I don't see how it's impolite. Plus, being learned in fire, they (refering to the Ailenites) might help us separate the good ideas from the suicidal ones. Afterall, it isn't in their best interest that we fail.

Anyway, I see no reason not to take the safer, less magma filled route. Then again, I see no reason not to prepare against fire either. Chances are we are ready to go to this mountain, based on the information given here."
    Last edited by Dudu; 2013-01-18 at 12:35 AM.
    Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    Nicollo Corleone - The Scoundrel Malconvoker

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Minaerva - The Wild Caller from Rokiri Island.

Requiem Macabre Doc

2. - Top - End - #482
    Titan in the Playground

While likely guarded and possibly trapped, the less magma filled route is the only one into the mountain that we know of
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #483
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot straightens from her examination of the map. She too glances over at Melinda, signaling with a nod that she was also ready to set out.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground

Furude Setsuna

"Hai. I will do so when we begin preparations." The little arcanist nods mentally to Dot.

Then she gives Selena a cute little tilt of the head and grins. "Mhmm! We'll just have to find and disable the traps, or just fight our way through. It is probably going to be trapped, you know." Muttering something about corners and traps, she takes one last glance at the map and nods her readiness to Melinda with a small smile.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-01-18 at 12:38 AM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth will pore over the map (combined with her own experiences) to see if she can notice anything ...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge: Geography (1d20+23)[32] + DM-defined bonuses based on quality of the map.
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

6. - Top - End - #486
    Titan in the Playground

Atareth doesnt notice anything more from her study of the map than has been mentioned before.
    Well, if you are ready then, we wish you success in your mission. Watch for agents of Vardune, and bring back that gem.

OOC: Indicate when you are ready to teleport and then your marching order as you approach the cave entrance. For the sake of speed, you can assume the path is large enough for you to walk 4 people abreast, and with this group, that would be 2 rows.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #487
    Colossus in the Playground

Lok/Lil pop there on their own power.

Obviously, Lok takes up two squares of rank and file. He'll be in the back, but still in reach of Lildorrinene.

As with that, Lildorrinene will be in the back-center ... the "protected squishy" line as it were, but still in Lok's reach. She will be in full succubus form. Left hand is Talbot, right hand is the healing wand.
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

8. - Top - End - #488
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melinda listens intently as the others issued their strategic appraisals. Walking into a volcano about to blow honestly sounded like a trap to her, but she had seen enough reality-bending, world-shattering magic in the past few months that it was starting to dull her senses. She smoothly accepts the emerging consensus that the mission was doable.

It was a little disturbing that they'd accrued a reputation as a group of incendiaries. But in this world, you couldn't move without bumping elbows with someone. She had expected the deal to be of this form, task for recognition, and the deal itself seemed fine. The fact that they were moving against one of Kotep's allies would set a good basis for the kind of future cooperation that could be expected. If Kotep was already mobilizing his allies, then Celeste Corwyn would be soon against them even if they did nothing. Yet here was an opportunity to intervene. With enough guile, Celeste's opposition might even be avoided entirely.

"My companions seem confident that we can accomplish this. I trust in the collective judgment of this group. Once we have accomplished this deed, you'll make Ailena's support of the Triune known sometime within the following three months. We'll coordinate a public release. We are agreed?" Ideally, the release would come after the inevitable Silescian reprisal.

"Did you want someone to check for the scouts who went missing? It would be good to have their descriptions in case we find them in need of aid." And if the Ailenans really were dead, then their colors could be flown.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

Clylious provides you with a description of the missing scouts, if you do come across them, they can be rescued. Or given final burial.

As soon as you bring back the gem, we will publicly declare our support for the Triune.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #490

Furude Setsuna

Setsuna plops down on the floor, calling out to the group. "I'm gonna ask the mountain something first, okay?"

She places a hand on the ground and closes her eyes. Reaching out with her mind, she touches the spirit of the new volcano. "Hello mountain-sama. I can feel the flames within you. Did you create them? If not, who did?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Earth dream class feature. 01-20 fails, 21-100 is a success.
    (1d100)[26]
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    "Hello mountain-sama. I can feel the flames within you. Did you create them? If not, who did?"
    One question please.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #492

Quote Originally Posted by MikelaC1 View Post
    One question please.
    "Ehehe... sorry, mountain-sama. Then my question is, who created the flames?"

13. - Top - End - #493
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth looks to the others. "Since we are dealing with fire giants, we'll have room. When we get there, I am summoning Sword. We are dealing with what may be our last great quest, and Sword has a destiny to fulfill with our mission."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot closes her eyes in dismay at Atareth's announcement, but says nothing as they withdraw from their audience with Clylious. At least, she says nothing out loud.

"Are you sure you want to do that? Sword is a great horse, but there's no guarantee that everywhere we need to go will be giant-sized. And since there are still at least two elements of the prophesy unresolved, I'd suggest that this will in no way be the end of our mission.

"Plus, you know. Lava. Taleira's immune. Sword isn't."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

15. - Top - End - #495
    Ogre in the Playground

Oscar "Heh, that girl is talking with the ground. Worth the risk of facing a raging volcano just to see Setsuna going batsh1t crazy."

Selena "We aren't exactly normal either, Oscar, so we can't judge."

Adressing to Dot and Atareth.

Selena "Can't we buff the horse? I mean, it's probably our last mission misson and lady Atareth wants to give her good old Sword something to remember.
    I'll see if I have spell to spare, Atareth. I won't cast energy immunity on myself, since I'll use the elemental body of fire instead."
    Show

Dante Levasseur - The Crimsom Inquisitor (avatar) and his Lumi cohort, Eveline Dawn now being followed by an old acquaintance, Aurora, the voice of Barachiel.

Requiem Macabre Doc

16. - Top - End - #496
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot shrugs in a 'not my call' way, and prepares for the teleport.

17. - Top - End - #497
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morcleon View Post
    "Ehehe... sorry, mountain-sama. Then my question is, who created the flames?"
    The flames come from deep within the core, and are pulled up by a way I do not understand. They are natural, their appearance is not

Quote Originally Posted by PSinger View Post
    Atareth looks to the others. "Since we are dealing with fire giants, we'll have room. When we get there, I am summoning Sword. We are dealing with what may be our last great quest, and Sword has a destiny to fulfill with our mission."
    telepathically, Atareth "hears" If you even think of not bringing me along, you'll have another think coming

Quote Originally Posted by Dudu View Post
    Oscar "Heh, that girl is talking with the ground. Worth the risk of facing a raging volcano just to see Setsuna going batsh1t crazy."

Selena "We aren't exactly normal either, Oscar, so we can't judge."

Adressing to Dot and Atareth.

Selena "Can't we buff the horse? I mean, it's probably our last mission misson and lady Atareth wants to give her good old Sword something to remember.
    I'll see if I have spell to spare, Atareth. I won't cast energy immunity on myself, since I'll use the elemental body of fire instead."
    That would be appreciated
    #GoreMutualarejerks

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Melinda's divination reveals that it wouldnt be a bad idea to make some sort of offering to Thorbald at this time. Thorbald isnt strongly tied in to any sort of opposition growing against you (thats not to say he supports it either) and you really didnt do anything against the shrine in the Harlan tomb. And since you are going to "heal" one of his mountains, the two gestures might at least leave him fully neutral towards you.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #499
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth says, "Like a druid that must cut some old branches to let newer ones grow, perhaps there are old stone lodgings that are keeping newer rock from going where they need to. I offer my strength and adamantine hammer for the work of a week to clear away what might be needed. I am an expert orienteer, so it takes me little time to learn nooks and crannies of land groups large or small."
    Current Games

20. - Top - End - #500

Furude Setsuna

Standing up, Setsuna stretches and repeats the mountain's words to her allies. "Alright, seeing as we'll be going into a giant volcano that may or may not be trapped and/or filled with hostile and powerful beings, who wants fire immunity?"

"As for you,"
    she glares daggers at the bird. "Be thankful that your mistress is one of my friends, else you would have been reduced to foie gras a long time ago."

21. - Top - End - #501
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth says, "I and Sword, definitely. Sword has priority, of course. But while I can sneer at a torch, magman can sneer at that heavenborne resistance."
    Current Games

22. - Top - End - #502
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Keep discussing tactics, I have some preparations to make," requests the First Priestess.

Her divination successful, a few minutes later, Melinda is digging a hole near the base of Mount Otuna, at a secluded site far from their selected entry point. She may be endowed with immense, magical power, but she is at present working with a long, two-handed spade and a pickaxe. She stops once the hole is about half as deep as her spade is long, panting. It was so easy to marvel at structures built tall. Why was it, then, that holes dug just as deep received so much less respect, when so much more dirt had to move?

Satisfied with the exertion she put into her ritual preparation, she invokes, "O Lord of Mountains, Thorbald Volkskraag, hear my prayer. Hear a priestess who wishes to pay her debts of piety!"

"We have traveled many stretches of this world in our quest to fulfill ancient prophecy. Twice now, in halls of iron as in halls of death, has our path lain within your domain. And twice have You been gracious in granting us passage." Standing halfway inside her hole, from her sack she removes a purple gem on a golden necklace. She had been keeping them, in case it ever was fitting to bestow upon anyone some mark of candidacy. But an opportunity was an opportunity. "I wish to make this offering in thanks. This amethyst was taken from the hidden heart of a mountain. A brother to our sister-gems it is. This I here commend to Your keeping, that one of Your faithful among ours may always be known, and always welcome."

She kisses the gem, blessing it, making it special. Then she closes it in a lacquered wooden box, and lays the box at the bottom of the hole she dug. Over it she pours wine.
    "Now my sisters and I seek to complete our last quest as a Fellowship - Stay once again Your wrath! Help us to heal the heart of a mountain, for the glory of the Three and for Yours alike."

And then she begins the tedious job of backfilling, before she rejoins the group.

All right. she sends. We can proceed whenever we're all ready.
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

By various teleports or other means, the group collects itself at the predetermined entry point to the cave. Even Lil, one of the members of the original group has rejoined for this one last quest, to complete the prophecy of the Trinity.
    Walking in the outdoors, on such a large path, the group finds it difficult to maintain any form of ranks, with various members alternately taking the lead and then falling back. The path up the mountain contains numerous switchbacks and is rather steep, and despite the cold air, the party does manage to work up a bit of a sweat.
    The group rounds one last switchback, and finds themselves in a bit of an open area, with the path leading to a huge iron door, set into the rocks. In between them and the door unfortunately is a roadblock, in the form of 4 angry fire giants. The giants, as is their wont to do, heave rocks at the group, but the superior defenses of the group cause them all to miss. The giants draw their weapons, and battle is immenent.

Roll initiatve OOC, the giants are 60 feet away, and there is no intervening terrain.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Selena, floating about 10ft above the ground and with flames crackling from her body, gazes the four giants with a bit of awe, since she never saw one before, face to face, but also another bit of contempt, since those majestic creatures are now oficially enemies of the trinity. And those are tough times for enemies of trinity.

Provokingly, she directs to one of the giants and say:
    "You, the strongest! Why don't you show the other giants your true might, by killing them?"

While she says that she also casts a fog of dense cold smoke below the feet of two other giants.

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    She uses her rod of lesser quickened to cast a quickened suggestion (will DC 26) at one giant and her standard to cast a freezing fog (reflex DC 25) at other two giants. If the distance isn't enough (I think it is) she uses her move action to close such distance (her move is 40ft flying)

Spells:
    Spoiler
    Show

Lvl1: Silent Image / Inhibit / Neverkitter x4 x3 / Benign Transposition x2

Lvl2: Mirror Image / Entice Gift / Heroics x3 / Tasha's Hideous Laughter x2 / Glitterdust

Lvl3: Vertigo Field x2 / Suggestion x4 x3 / Dispell / Unluck

Lvl4: Greater Mirror Image x2 / Confusion x2 / Heart of Earth / Celerity x3

Lvl5: Overland Flight / Dominate Person / Shadow Evocation x2 / Hold Monster x2 / Teleport

Lvl6: Overwhelm x2 / Heightened Phantasmal Killer (+2 DC) / Freezing Fog x2 / SMA VI x2

Lvl7: Final Rebuke / Project Image / Elemental Body / Energy Immunity / Glass Strike / Reverse Gravity

Lvl8: Superior Invisibility / Otto's Irresistible Dance / Mindblank / SMA VIII x2

Lvl9: Shades x2 / Dominate Monster

Quickened rod: 2/3
    Last edited by Dudu; 2013-01-24 at 11:49 AM.
    Show

Requiem Macabre Doc

25. - Top - End - #505
    Titan in the Playground

Duh, okay, me smash
    The giant targeted by Selena's spell pivots, getting ready to smash the giant beside him on his turn.
    The two other giants are caught in the freezing fog and are now concealed from the party. They are likely still progressing forward, but you cant be certain

Setsuna up, Dot on deck, Lok to follow.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #506

Furude Setsuna

"Eh?! Fire giants! They're... um... on fire! And they're big!"

Flying forward and up, Setsuna hovers over the giants with an orb of blinding rainbow light held in her hand. "Taste the rainbow, fools!" She clenches her fist, and an eruption of light flows down, lancing into the area.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: Fly up and forward.
    Standard: Cast prismatic spray, catching three giants (minus the one under suggestion, if possible) with a 60' cone. DC 31 save
    Giant 1: (1d8)[1] 20 points fire, negated by immunity.
    SR Check: (1d20+22)[33]
    Giant 2: (1d8)[7] Will save or be sent to other plane.
    SR Check: (1d20+22)[25]
    Giant 3: (1d8)[7] Will save or be sent to other plane.
    SR Check: (1d20+22)[34]

Conditions/Effects
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spells:
    Aid (entire party): 21 min
    Arcane Sight: Permanent
    Blur: 38 hrs
    Energy Immunity (fire, cold): 24 hrs
    Freedom of Movement: 3 hrs 10 min
    Foresight: 3 hrs 10 min
    Imbue Familiar with Spell Ability (dimensional anchor, dispel magic, glitterdust, solid fog): 19 hrs
    Mage Armor: 19 hrs
    Mind Blank: 24 hrs
    Mirror Image, Greater: 38 min
    Resist Energy (electricity, acid, sonic): 19 hrs
    See Invisibility: Permanent
    Superior Resistance: 24 hrs

Minor shadow Light of Lunia: 6 hrs 20 min
    Minor shadow Light of Mercuria: 6 hrs 20 min
    Minor shadow Light of Venya: 6 hrs 20 min

HP: 153/153
    Spells: 12 (18) 18 (16) 16 (16) 16 (14) 11 (7)

Condition and Effects:
    +5 to saves against death effects, negative energy, energy drain; 1/day reroll failed save.
    +5 to saves against poison and disease; 1/day reroll failed save.
    +2 bonus to overcome SR.
    50% chance of deflecting a ranged attack if move 10 or more ft.
    Fast Healing 1.
    Resistance to fire 5, cold 5, electricity 5.
    Invisible.
    Doubled carrying capacity.
    Ignore all hostile planar effects.
    Breathe in any environment, ignore harmful vapours/gases.
    Suppress all confusion, fear and stunning conditions in allies in 20 ft radius.
    No need to eat or drink.
    Sleep 2 hours to gain effects of 8.

Immune: blinded, confusion, dazzled, exhaustion, fatigue, fear, grappling, mind-affecting, movement penalties, stunning.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2013-01-24 at 05:53 PM.

27. - Top - End - #507
    Titan in the Playground

The rainbow beams splash over the fire giants, the giant outside the fog gets hit by one that causes fire damage, which he is immune to. The other rays beam into the fog, what they are able to do is hidden by the fog

Dot up, Lok on deck, Taleira to follow.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #508
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot scans the fog for the giants within, noting their overall position. She takes in the other two giants, now locked in combat with each other. Perhaps not much would be required, at this moment.

Drifting upwards out of the giants' reach, Dot gestures towards Selena's fog. Abruptly, there is the clatter of grey-white hailstones falling into and through the fog.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dot will move upward 30'. She uses Shadow Evocation to cast Ice Storm on the two giants inside the fog. Will save DC 28 negates. Otherwise, take (3d6)[9] bludgeoning damage and (2d6)[8] cold.

29. - Top - End - #509
    Titan in the Playground

Dot is unable to pierce the fog with her vision, and so her ice storm hailstones crash into the fog area at random. Whether they are successful or not is a matter of some debate.

Lok up, Taleira on deck, Melinda to follow.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #510
    Colossus in the Playground

Lok delays, not wanting to waste effort needlessly.
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.