New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Three Goddesses (IC) Thread #3

Quote Originally Posted by Kalirren View Post
    "My name is Melinda. I'm here on behalf of His Holiness Clylious Foulisar, High Priest of Ailena in Aklantia. Clylious is concerned that a mountain which has been dormant for as long as he can remember has recently become an active volcano, and his investigations on the matter led him here. He wishes to inquire as to your leaders' intent."
    His intent to turn this volcano totally active on its own, and have it burst forth lava forever.

"You said King Thorg is here? For how long has he lived here? Is King Thorg responsible for what has been happening in this mountain? Or is he dealing with others at this time who are?"
    Thorg only moved here as part of his plan. We have worked here for about 6 months. He discovered the gem that would activate the volcano. We need no others.

I have one other question for you. A group of Ailenite scouts went missing recently near here. Did they ever show up here?"
    Yes, they showed up. We fed their bodies to the volcano.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-02-24 at 05:11 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #632
    Colossus in the Playground

Lildorrinene takes a ring. Lok takes a belt and a ring.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #633
    Bugbear in the Playground

Melinda grimaces at the news of the Ailenites' fate. "A pity you did." She thought the whole affair was shaping up to be rather depressingly straightforward.

"And why does he want to do this?" she presses on. "You know, I admire your loyalty, but I have to ask you - if your King succeeds, where do you think you're going to be when the cap of Mt. Otuna caves in -" she jabs a pointer finger straight down, "- to form the caldera? Or the rest of the worthiest and brightest of your nation?" She shakes her head emphatically. "Your King is mad," she insists, "mad enough to waste the dedication of his most faithful, and you should ask yourself exactly what your loyalty to him demands of you in such an instance."

[Convert The Unfaithful - Will DC 35.]

"Now, my aim is to persuade him away from this senseless course of action." She points towards the east door. "What would be the best way for us to see King Thorg? What lies between us and him?"
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

4. - Top - End - #634
    Titan in the Playground

We giants do not fear lava. When the lava comes, we bathe in it
    The giant seems rather proud of this accomplishment.
    The east door would be the best bet to meet Thorg. Of course, you're going to have to get through Ghan'rrr'stak'roth first.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #635

"The lava's the easy part. I was referring more to the sheer volume of rock that would lose support during the cave-in."

Melinda's eyebrows furrow. "Who or what is Ghan'rrr'stak'roth?"

[K: Bardic: (1d20+11)[29]. Does that sound like a name in Giant, or in some other language?]
    Of the Core classes, Bard is the best. It optimizes the most important resource of them all: play time.

Grieve not greatly if thou be touched a-light, for an after-stroke is better if thou dare him smite.
    The Play with the Two-Hand Sword in Verse, circa 1430. British Museum manuscript #3542, ff 82-85.

Current avatar: Sascha Kincaid, a lost country girl in a big city. Aldhaven: Vicious Betrayals

6. - Top - End - #636
    Titan in the Playground

K: Bardic: The word sounds like its Draconic

Ghan'rrr'stak'roth is the pet green dragon of the king.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

"A dragon? Charming. Tell me, roughly how many other giants are living in the area east of here, and about how far is it to the place where this stone is laid?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

8. - Top - End - #638
    Titan in the Playground

7 other giants live here, including Thorg.
    The giant furrows his brow at Dots second question.
    I have no idea
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #639

Taleira Ulharvyth

"Seven more giants and a green dragon? That doesn't sound so bad, especially if that count includes the rest of the ones here." Tali sounds rather more casual than is customary when discussing fighting dragons or really anything that can describe one as a "pet," but then, she has justifications for being rather more nonchalant about such things than most.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Titan in the Playground

7 more giants corrects the giant that count doesnt include us, but it does include the king.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

11. - Top - End - #641
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot nods, and turns to speak with her colleagues.

"We need to figure out what to do with the other survivors. May I suggest that a few of us go and take a look down these side passages. So long as their quarters don't have other tunnels further along, we can always seal them in with a wall. Even if we don't end up able to come back for them, they'd be able to get out in a few minutes, with their strength. Once they start trying. Ideally, a few minutes is all we need."

She shrugged. Trying to find a balance between expedience and mercy was not particularly easy, and didn't always come naturally to her.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

12. - Top - End - #642
    Troll in the Playground

Coquika
    Coquika lifts a hand.
    "We've seen they aren't very good at getting through walls of force. I could manage another of those today, when it comes to that."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

For expediency, there are no further tunnels off the sleeping quarters. They are just rooms. The only tunnel leading on is the east tunnel.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #644
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth looks at Mr. Talky-Giant. "You may swim in lava like we might swim in a pool. But just like we might swim in a pool, we might drown ... you'll have no air as the entire tunnels are choked with lava, as will you."
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Legacy of Fire: Water Prince Rafiq Karim
    Rise of the Runelords: Keghart Valdemar & Valbard the Velociraptor
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth
    Serpent's Skull: Harsk! (yes, that one)
    Shattered Star: Lilim
    Strange Aeons: Dorn

15. - Top - End - #645

Quote Originally Posted by Dot
    "May I suggest that a few of us go and take a look down these side passages? So long as their quarters don't have other tunnels further along, we can always seal them in with a wall. Even if we don't end up able to come back for them, they'd be able to get out in a few minutes, with their strength. Once they start trying. Ideally, a few minutes is all we need."
    Melinda shrugs, then nods. "Okay, do it." The priestess herself didn't have a very committed notion of what to do, and wasn't going to countermand the recommendation of the group's most reliable operations manager.

She give the giant a nod. "Tend to your wounded. May our paths never cross again." Then the group would be off through the east door. With luck they wouldn't have to pass by this way again.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Troll in the Playground

Coquika
    Coquika shrugs and walks alongside. To Melinda, she comments
    "Is mercy to be the order of the day? Even if we are to welcome our dark sisters into the fold, I wonder if it's right to simply let these ugly brutes live to feed more people to volcanoes."
    If there's nothing out there, then what was that noise?

17. - Top - End - #647
    Firbolg in the Playground

Furude Setsuna

Shrugging, Setsuna nods and follows Coquika. She pipes up, glancing at the emerald lady. "But if we can take out the source of this volcano, they won't have anything to feed people to. After all, this was artificially made."
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

18. - Top - End - #648
    Titan in the Playground

The party heads through the eastern door after dealing with the giants. The door opens to a hallway that goes a short distance before coming to another door. However, before the party can reach the door, it suddenly bursts open, and there is a huge
    WHOOSH
    of greenish gas filling the corridor. The party might have been expecting a chlorine gas attack, given that it was a green dragon, but instead, the gas seems to burn like acid.
    (144 acid damage, DC:37 REF for half)

Continuing into the room, the party sees another huge octagonal room (like the one that the dracolich was in for the last dungeon), however unlike the dracolich, this dragon is quite alive, with its greenish scales. Behind the dragon, on the far east wall is a strange looking contraption, with 9 levers sticking out of it, however the dragon is more of a problem right now.

roll initiative, OOC.
    also make will save, DC40 vs. dragon fear
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #649

Both Lildorrinene and Lok are able to resist the dragon's fear, but Lok throws his wing out to block the acid from his mistress and gets bathed for 134 acid damage, but protecting her in the process.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #650
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Atareth doesn't get to go before several of her sisters, but she goes before the dracolich so I should be able to vocalize.
    Atareth's vestments, wings, armor, shield, and weapon sizzle and pop as fire giant gore is burnt away and drops off, the acid having made her mithral shine again.

"And here, recreant," Atareth says boastfully to the dragon, "I was led to believe how ignoble a creature you might be. But how can I hate so bony a coward who is relegated to little more than a laundrymaid in battle?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Her action is contingent on others once it is her turn ...
    Current Games
    Curse of the Crimson Throne: Dušana Essert(Zeta), & Fathi (Phi) and Hülya (Eta) Sharif of House al-Din
    Savage Tide: Rabbi Eliezer "Lazer" Whuraili Cohen ben Mordechai of Clan Ironoath of Oriadeth

21. - Top - End - #651

"I'm not sure if it's right, Coquika. I detest those who would waste others' lives. But I represent love, not vengeance or justice, and I will not tempt them with false lust just to kill them." That turned out badly once. "If you think this my failing, and a mistake, then correct my mistake. I do not always speak with the voice of the Godde - look out!"

WHOOSH

22. - Top - End - #652
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Dot

Dot twisted and writhed as her flesh was dissolved by the dragon's breath. Immediately, though, her nimble mind began plotting alternatives to respond to the terrifying threat before them. Her hands flash, and she vanishes briefly, reappearing in the air directly above the dragon. A sphere of blackness appears under the dragon's belly, seeming to tear at its scales.

Spoiler
    Show
    Dot flies 60' back down the tunnel, pulling out her Rod of Quicken Spell as she does so.

She casts Project Image to have her projection appear directly above the dragon's current position. Anyone with blindsense/blindsight/true seeing will know that the projection is not real, but she doesn't really care.

She then uses a swift action (using Major Esoterica) to cast Sphere of Ultimate Destruction on the dragon's current position. Fortitude Save DC 33 or take (40d6)[138] untyped damage, or take (5d6)[17] on a successful save.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Titan in the Playground

The sphere of destruction connects with the green dragon, and not only does his innate resistance fail to stop it, the damage it causes is severe. Its not enough to stop the massive beast, but it certainly got his attention. Not that that is always a good thing.

Lok up, Selena on deck, Setsuna to follow.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2013-03-04 at 11:39 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #654

Lok supercharges a force screen and tops off his mirror images.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d4+5)[8] images

Force screen up, bonus at +6.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #655
    Titan in the Playground

Many more images of the vrock appear, as he prepares his defenses against the offense of the green dragon

Selena up, Setsuna on deck, Atarath in hole, Lil to follow
    #GoreMutualarejerks

26. - Top - End - #656
    Titan in the Playground

Selena attempts to deal with the dragon with one overpowering move, trying to use dominate monster on it, but whether the dragon resists through his magic resistance or overpowering mental resistance is immaterial, the spell fails.

Setsuna up, Atarath on deck, Lil in the hole, dragon to follow.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #657
    Titan in the Playground

Setsuna gestures and a thin green ray lances out from her hand to strike the dragon. Her aim is true and the ray even manages to penetrate the dragons magical resistance, but the innate toughness of the beast prevents it from doing full damage. Still, its another mark on the beast, as this dragon will likely take the combined might of the party to overcome.

Atarath up, Lil on deck, dragon in the hole, Coquika to follow.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #658
    Ogre in the Playground

Atareth starts jackhammering the giant.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Attack #1 (1d20+41)[43], Damage (1d8+23)[27]
    Attack #2 (1d20+36)[40], Damage (1d8+23)[25]
    Attack #3 (1d20+31)[47], Damage (1d8+23)[29]
    Current Games

29. - Top - End - #659

Lildorrinene touches Lok-too-loo-baz with the wand of maximized cure critical wounds 39 healing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I can't help but think that the caster level on the wand was higher, but I don't have that written down.

"Who else?" calls Lildorrinene, looking around the battlefield.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #660
    Titan in the Playground

Atarath's first and third blows connect with the behemoth dragon, but the damage is no where near enough to slow the creature down. The middle blow merely bounces off his scaly hide. And now the beast can strike...
    #GoreMutualarejerks