New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Utility compare

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Default Utility compare

I have question. What utility power is better for my swordmage (Order adept theme) on level 6?

1) Shield (from wizards utilities) - its for every type of attacks, but only for AC and Reflex defence and myself.

OR

2) Warp in the Weave (Arcane utility) - I know, this is negate "miss" efects without roll, but only for bursts and blasts and only for myself .

OR

3) Insightful Warning (Arcane utility) - its like Warp, but only increasing chances, and its probably (sometimes) for another companions too.

My opinion is, that these are better than "Armathors Step" swordmage utility.

What do You think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Utility compare

I'd go for Warp In The Weave
    This power has another use that many are missing. It can save an ally whose square you're standing on. Normally you cant stay on an ally's square, but if the ally is unconcious, you can. This means that you can save a dying ally from a dargerous AOE spell.
    Awesome avatar created by Ceika!!!! Thank you.

In D&D 3.5 I am a
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neutral Good Human Druid/Sorcerer (1st/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 10
    Dexterity- 10
    Constitution- 11
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 16
    Charisma- 13

In D&D 4e I am a Chaotic Good Eladrin Bladesinger. Yep, simple as that. No test, at all. I just am.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Warp in the Weave, hands down. That's because it automatically negates the attack regardless of what is rolled; Sh/IW will not help you if the attacker rolls high enough.

Although Shield is actually better on a defender than it would be on a wizard (because in a party with one or two good defenders, the wizard probably won't be attacked all that often)
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Yes, now I see, that question is only between "Shield" and "Warp int the Weave".

EDIT: Did I write, that I wont "Mark of Warding" feat? - and "Shield" give +5 (instead +4) to AC and Ref? But "Warp in the Weave" is awesome too. I donīt know, which utility I pick. Hard decision :).
    Last edited by Signir; 2012-10-27 at 01:00 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I choose Shield on level 6 - because itīs not for one attackig monster and not for one attack and Iīm defender and this utillity gives me +4 to AC and Ref till the end of my next turn (and this I can use for negating monster opportunity attacks).

And at epic levels - where my AC and Ref will be above 50+ (AC = 54...) I maybe switch "Shield" for "Warp in the Weave"...
    Last edited by Signir; 2012-10-29 at 06:00 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since Warp In the Weave removes you as a target of the triggering attack, it's incredible for non-immediate-action-based-defenders (auras, paladins), since it lets them punish the attacker in addition to negating the attack on themselves.

As a swordmage, I may try to avoid immediate action utilities, since aegis or dimensional vortex are almost always better, but if your DM tends to respect your mark, ways to negate/mitigate/punish attacks on yourself become much more valuable.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Ah I foud arcane 6 utility "Peer through the Void" - encounter stance, gives me additional sence and this is Blindsight? And blindsight doesnt need Line of sight, but line of effect. I donť need torch anymore, I dont anymore aware of hidden or invisible enemy. And with Masters blade, which gives me +1 to attack rolls with basic and at-will attacks - this is awsome, better than Shield.
    Last edited by Signir; 2012-11-11 at 03:21 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Signir View Post
    Ah I foud arcane 6 utility "Peer through the Void" - encounter stance, gives me additional sence and this is Blindsight?
    That's way too situational to use an utility slot on. Note that area effects (which you should have as a swordmage) already ignore concealment.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    That's way too situational to use an utility slot on. Note that area effects (which you should have as a swordmage) already ignore concealment.
    Yes, this is truth - in general. I have many powers (include one at-will) with area effect, but I grant CA to hidden or invisible enemy. And -2 to all defences doesnt sound much defendery.
    Its "encounter" stance - and with masters blade I can have +1 to basic (opportunity) and At-will attacks each encounter.
    I forgot to wrote, that we are in campaign with many damned tieflings warlocks, and they are hidden...
    Last edited by Signir; 2012-11-12 at 08:08 AM.