New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Grimoire of the Rift (IC)

Danil: "I managed to make contact with Lee and got some idea of where to start with Nova Ryu. Appearantly she's very much a creature of logic and justice. Using reason sounds like our best chance to approach her."
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Lucas

"I made some money, which we can use to pay for our travel, and crafted a belt to get some more healing just in case...
    Ahh, and it seems someone is coming with us, courtesy of my father...

Did you find out anything in this time Mori?"
    He says to group as a whole and turns to Patricia in the end.

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

“Plan. Yes. Good idea. I should come up with a plan.”
    ― Steven Brust, Dzur

3. - Top - End - #543
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
    Lucas

"I made some money, which we can use to pay for our travel, and crafted a belt to get some more healing just in case...
    Ahh, and it seems someone is coming with us, courtesy of my father...

Did you find out anything in this time Mori?"
    He says to group as a whole and turns to Patricia in the end.
    (Taking ten gives her a 23)

"Nova Ryu is a sly dragon. She often takes the form of a weaker being like a child or a begger in order to judge her targets. It is highly likely that when we get to Tokugawa we'll run into some weak being asking for our help that will turn out to be her. Of course being the Dragon princess she's probably one of the strongest dragons in existence, next to the Divine Dragon of the skies, and her father."

4. - Top - End - #544
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    (Taking ten gives her a 23)

"Nova Ryu is a sly dragon. She often takes the form of a weaker being like a child or a begger in order to judge her targets. It is highly likely that when we get to Tokugawa we'll run into some weak being asking for our help that will turn out to be her. Of course being the Dragon princess she's probably one of the strongest dragons in existence, next to the Divine Dragon of the skies, and her father."
    "And what would be the best way to convince her to help us? Logic and Justice, as Danil said? Any more hints on the subject?"

“No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style.”
    ― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

5. - Top - End - #545

"Wait a minute... Lexin, didn't you say that you were getting a new companion for the trip? I think I'd better ask her politely who she really is."
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    "Wait a minute... Lexin, didn't you say that you were getting a new companion for the trip? I think I'd better ask her politely who she really is."
    "Or not, but simply behave as good as we can just in case." He says with a shrug.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

7. - Top - End - #547
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
    "And what would be the best way to convince her to help us? Logic and Justice, as Danil said? Any more hints on the subject?"
    "Pretty much. Her family judges the "game" and keeps the dragons in check. It's likely that if the humans and dragons truly went to war the humans would win, but the damage would be heavy. The "game" is their method of setting their disputes and deciding rank and territory. Unlike us who us promotion and family systems. You have to show an understanding of their methods, and show your lawful side."

She smiles. "Of course being a dragon she is already filthy rich, and can eat virtually anything, so the common bribes of food and money are useless...no you best try to impress her with some sort of knowledge or wisdom..."

8. - Top - End - #548

"I was planning to at least open with a slightly different argument. I figured that since: 1) She's probably a metallic dragon if she's acting as judge of this game, so she'd want to get rid of a major source of evil. 2) The demons have got to be one of the biggest threats to the game's proper functioning. 3) She and her race are probably (quite justifiably) proud, believing that only they can solve problems.

All these things together, she'll probably help us because she needs the job done right."

Lego Ergo Sum

9. - Top - End - #549
    Banned

"I was planning to at least open with a slightly different argument. I figured that since: 1) She's probably a metallic dragon if she's acting as judge of this game, so she'd want to get rid of a major source of evil. 2) The demons have got to be one of the biggest threats to the game's proper functioning. 3) She and her race are probably (quite justifiably) proud, believing that only they can solve problems.

All these things together, she'll probably help us because she needs the job done right."
    "Clever enough argument. I look forward to seeing you refine it to use against her. No doubt she's a master debater."

10. - Top - End - #550
    Dwarf in the Playground

John

We should definatly keep an eye on this traveller. See if they do anything fishy.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tantaburs View Post
    John

We should definatly keep an eye on this traveller. See if they do anything fishy.
    Patricia starts reading a book as you discuss the traveller. She has left you 7 research papers on Tokugawa, Imagawa, Hojo, Dame, Uesugi, Takeda and the Miko. If you wish for more papers, you must wait for her to do the research.

12. - Top - End - #552

Danil spends the rest of the evening looking through those scrolls.

Lego Ergo Sum

13. - Top - End - #553
    Banned

Danil spends the rest of the evening looking through those scrolls.
    The papers are well written, and although they do not cover every detail hold information about the house.

Tokugawa's paper details the great game, about how Nova Ryu is the judge and how her mindset will be influenced by this. It also details how Nova has a single vassal of her own. A human knight by the name of Senhime. It also covers dragons as a species, and what to expect of them in combat, society, and other information you can find in the draconomicon.

Imagawa's paper details the druid sects of the Imagawa family. Their leader Imagawa Yoshi, is an old druid in a young body, not weakened by age. It also details many of the rituals and customs the house holds, and how their house is formed around the ideals of nature, to protect the animals and plants. However they also realize that humans are part of nature, their key goals are to reduce the amount of damage expansion does by as much as possible.

Hojo's paper details their Paladin and Warrior Cleric ways. It also covers their work with the demonic portal, and their sealing of Xavier. The key to Hojo is to show you are serious and willing to commit to the project. It also covers Hojo Soun, their leader, and how he used to travel the country fighting evil. It is likely that showing moral fiber will aid in working with him.

Dame is a jack of all trades country lead by Dame Noir. There is less data on this country, as it has nothing that defines it. However Dame Noir is not an unreasonable man and will likely listen to your pleas. However he is patient and calculating, making it likely you will need to convince him over time.

Takeda's paper covers their legendary cavalry. Most countries use horses for cavalry, however Takeda use a kind of bird, that are very fast but brutally hard to tame. However these elite cavalry forge one of the deadliest armies in the country. Their leader Takeda Shingen is never seen without his armour on, and works mainly through his 4 main retainers. It is likely to convince Takeda, you will need to either convince Shingen himself, or convince the retainers into talking him into it.

Uesugi, is lead by Uesugi Kenshin. With the exception of Aisha, she is considered the best swordswoman in the country. Her style involves grace, and purity of mind and control. Although she lacks the ability to do much beside fight, not having much for logistics, she inspires her troops, and serves as an idol to many young women who do not connect with the most violent and merciless Aisha. She however also has a thing for luxury foods, and will likely be easier to convince over a good meal. Her closest advisers, might be a bit slower on the take however...

The Miko serve as the spiritual leaders of the country. Their country also serves as the entrance point to the underdark, the place where the legendary hydra that serve(d) as the base of the country lived. In order to keep the hydra asleep and prevent earthquakes, the miko used to absorb sin from the people of the kingdom and have the miko fed to the hydra. However when a hero heard of this practice, he formed a raiding group and killed the god. The Miko continue the purification ritual, but now serve primarily as religious guides. They will not likely be able to provide much military support, but having their backing will make it easier to convince the other houses to support you. Their leader is an older woman named Natori.

14. - Top - End - #554

The next day, when Danil meets Kolth:

(Bows) "Lady Kolth, I believe? Pleased to make your acquaintance."

(Switches to Draconic)

Spoiler
    Show
    "Do you by any chance have other names besides Kolth?

Lego Ergo Sum

15. - Top - End - #555
    Banned

The next day, when Danil meets Kolth:

(Bows) "Lady Kolth, I believe? Pleased to make your acquaintance."

(Switches to Draconic)

Spoiler
    Show
    "Do you by any chance have other names besides Kolth?
    She bows back. "Pleasure to meet you." She looks at you when you ask your question. "Why do you ask this?" She looks confused. "Do you have multiple names?"

She is a young woman dressed like a trader.

16. - Top - End - #556

(Still in Draconic)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course! Baron, Danil, Danil Drome, Dupst, Good Dubby, Snuzzlepal, Friend of Friends... But it is not my names but yours that may be important."

Lego Ergo Sum

17. - Top - End - #557
    Banned

(Still in Draconic)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course! Baron, Danil, Danil Drome, Dupst, Good Dubby, Snuzzlepal, Friend of Friends... But it is not my names but yours that may be important."
    "Why would my name be important? I am but a simple trader."

18. - Top - End - #558

(Still Draconic)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "As it is written: "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." At the true name of a "simple carpenter" the mountains will leap into the sea and the sky roll up like a scroll. Is it then so strange that I wonder who you truly are?"

Lego Ergo Sum

19. - Top - End - #559
    Banned

(Still Draconic)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "As it is written: "All that is gold does not glitter, not all those that wander are lost." At the true name of a "simple carpenter" the mountains will leap into the sea and the sky roll up like a scroll. Is it then so strange that I wonder who you truly are?"
    "Huh?" She seems confused at what you're talking about (Congratulations, you've managed to confused the DM, I need to read more).

"Yes...yes it is. Sometimes a cup of coffee, is just that, a cup of coffee."

20. - Top - End - #560

Spoiler
    Show
    "And sometimes it isn't, as suggested by the fact that you've still not answered my question."

Lego Ergo Sum

21. - Top - End - #561
    Banned

Spoiler
    Show
    "And sometimes it isn't, as suggested by the fact that you've still not answered my question."
    "Just call me Kolth. Or Kol if you want."

As you prepare to leave, Kiku shows up with a bunch of baked goods.

"Enjoy the trip! Good luck!" she says as she runs off to go back to the cafe.

Edit: I forgot to mention. Teru has given you 10,000 gold pieces in start up funding.
    Last edited by Morithias; 2012-11-29 at 05:37 AM.

22. - Top - End - #562

So we set off for Tokugawa. What happens on the way?

Lego Ergo Sum

23. - Top - End - #563
    Banned

So we set off for Tokugawa. What happens on the way?
    It's only a 3 day trip, but the trip is hard. Much of Tokugawa is mountain terrain and due to dragons being able to fly the roads are ill defined.

You see a few wild animals but none attack you. Mana and Kolth make some small talk, and Mana keeps flirting with John trying to re-push her way into her heart.

Eventually you reach a small village on the outskirts of Tokugawa, a minor border outpost.

24. - Top - End - #564

I hail the outpsot guards.

"Ahoy there! Baron Danil Drome, bearing a message from Princess Teru to Nova Ryu!"

Lego Ergo Sum

25. - Top - End - #565
    Banned

I hail the outpsot guards.

"Ahoy there! Baron Danil Drome, bearing a message from Princess Teru to Nova Ryu!"
    One of the outpost guards changes into this dragon form and flies to the ground before changing back into human form.

"From the Princess? This fast? She doesn't mess around. What is it?" The dragon is a young adult like Lee, and seems surprised envoys where sent so fast.

"I mean, if it's for Nova...maybe it's not my business...but if you want to meet her you'll need to travel to the capital, up the mountain...we might want to call some kind of adult dragon, the mountain can be deadly to humans when climbing it.."

26. - Top - End - #566
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morithias View Post
    One of the outpost guards changes into this dragon form and flies to the ground before changing back into human form.

"From the Princess? This fast? She doesn't mess around. What is it?" The dragon is a young adult like Lee, and seems surprised envoys where sent so fast.

"I mean, if it's for Nova...maybe it's not my business...but if you want to meet her you'll need to travel to the capital, up the mountain...we might want to call some kind of adult dragon, the mountain can be deadly to humans when climbing it.."
    John

Assistance to the top of the mountian would be most appriciated

27. - Top - End - #567
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tantaburs View Post
    John

Assistance to the top of the mountian would be most appriciated
    The young dragon turns back into his dragon form. "You should probably stay in the village for a day. It's getting late and I'll be back with a ride tomorrow." He nods to you then flies off up the mountain.

You enter the village, it seems to be a small farming village. You go to the inn, where the innkeeper gives you free rooms under order of Teru.

Mana relaxes in the main tavern. "Well we got a day to kill, what do you guys want to do?" Her eyes turning to John.

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Lucas

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for lack of posting for a while.

'This fast? I don't think they know about Takuga... which means they probably meant something else... Better to learn what it is.' He thinks after remembering the guard's words.

He turns to others, sharing his doubts and adds in the end:
    "I will asks around, about what's going on."

...and he does so, looking for the wise people, who can be found in every city, in every town, the ones who have no other jobs than sharing gossips.
    ... if the city is an exception to the rule, he asks guards instead.

Spoiler
    Show

Gather Information... after some looking it seems that it is a part of Diplomacy skill in pathfinder...
    (1d20+7)[27]
    (1d4)[3] hours.
    If nothing interesting, then again.
    (1d20+7)[26]
    (1d4)[3] hours.

Edit: Oh, these are... nice... rolls
    Last edited by Lexin; 2012-11-30 at 06:12 AM.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur

29. - Top - End - #569
    Banned

You find no real information about anything the princess was suppose to do. From what you can tell "That fast" means they're surprised how quick she's taking charge and becoming an active part of leading the country. (Who sends messages out to the others lords a mere WEEK after her birthday?) is what they're thinking.

You do find out something interesting though, apparently a nearby graveyard for dead servants of the various gamers is going through an Undead uprising, apparently they haven't sent anyone to investigate because well...a human skeleton means nothing against the breath weapon of a young adult dragon. (Plus in this universe there is none of that "Your soul is trapped in the undead" BS, so raising undead is seen as less of a sin.)

Mana follows you around asking questions as well, but she comes back with the same information, plus the following information. Apparently there is a lack of salt in Tokugawa territory (The dragons are big on meat, even though they can eat anything), finding a source for salt, or buying some from somewhere else and selling it could be profitable.

Economic Effect: Salt is POPULAR in Tokugawa lands. Salt currently sells for +35% market price.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ogre in the Playground

Goblin

Lucas

"Mana, do you think that you could use the salt information to rise us more funds for the campaign?
    We have quite a bit of unused funds."
    He says to her.

To the others "Are we doing something about the undead? It might be hard to get rid of these on our own... and they don't seem to bother anyone." he adds after sharing all the news.

― Steven Brust

― Steven Brust, Dzur