New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Why didn't vaarsuvius know xykon would come back?

And of course, every character in the strip never, ever tells a lie or exaggerates their own abilities in any way whatsoever...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

There's a difference between saying that "my knowledge of the denizens of the underworld is unmatched" when you have some but not many ranks in that knowledge, and saying that when you have no ranks.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

3. - Top - End - #33

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ReaderAt2046 View Post
    There's a difference between saying that "my knowledge of the denizens of the underworld is unmatched" when you have some but not many ranks in that knowledge, and saying that when you have no ranks.
    So? It's still entirely possible for him to not know about liches if he only has a few ranks in the relevant knowledge skill, so no ranks or few ranks makes no difference at all to the subject of this thread.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

Knowledge about Liches seems not seem common in the OotS-world. So it's at least a DC of 20, probably even 25 or even 30 (the latter seems unlikely, as Redcloak did make it much earlier). So let's assume 25.

Assuming an Int mod of +4 at that moment and assuming a d20 always gives at least a 1, Vaarsuvius could have had up to 19 ranks in that skill and still blow it in 5% of the cases.
    So what is so unlikely to assume Vaarsuvius does have "formidable" skill (even if that is true), which is a +5 to +15 on that level and the check simply fails.

*Xykon explodes*
    *DM rolls knowledge(arcana) and knowledge(undead) checks for the party*
    DM: "Ok, you just killed Xykon for good! There's still lost of treasure in the tower*
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    *Xykon explodes*
    *DM rolls knowledge(arcana) and knowledge(undead) checks for the party*
    DM: "Ok, you just killed Xykon for good! There's still lost of treasure in the tower*
    Maybe it's a difference in DM styles, but outright telling them that they killed him for good seems a bit much to me. I just wouldn't say anything about it.

(Yes, this is incredibly nitpicky, but the main question's already been answered, so...)

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    Maybe it's a difference in DM styles, but outright telling them that they killed him for good seems a bit much to me. I just wouldn't say anything about it.

(Yes, this is incredibly nitpicky, but the main question's already been answered, so...)
    Look, the exact style does not matter. What matters here is how it could play out without any issue. We're not talking about DM style, dramaturgy, group-style or whatever.

The point is the characters simply did not make the knowledge checks and we can forget about this silly discussion.
    Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei, King Joffrey, The Tickler, The Hound, Ser Amory, Polliver, Raff the Sweetling, Weese, Dunsen, Nale, Ser Gregor Clegane and Chiswyck: Winter is coming!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LetMeAsk View Post
    Just remember, here, Vaarsuvius insists that "my knowledge of the denizens of the underworld is unmatched".
    I don't think a lich to be a denizen of the underworld. I mean, he walks the land of the living.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #38

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I don't think a lich to be a denizen of the underworld. I mean, he walks the land of the living.
    Underworld.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-12-08 at 01:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Sorry, but I don't get what you mean.

Is it a joke about being on top of the world?

Is Xykon actually somewhere in the land of the dead and merely communicating through the phylactery, while he waits for a new body?
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

10. - Top - End - #40

BlackDragon

I assumed it was a rather weak joke along the lines of "Xykon once walked through a cave, so he counts as a creature of the underworld".

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

V can't tell the difference between a ghoul and a ghast, and has necromancy as a forbidden school, so it doesn't really surprise me that knowledge of the undead isn't his forte.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

The Order tends to be just a teeny bit incompetent at times.
    Spoiler
    Show

So the song runs on, with shift and change,
    Through the years that have no name,
    And the late notes soar to a higher range,
    But the theme is still the same.
    Man's battle-cry and the guns' reply
    Blend in with the old, old rhyme
    That was traced in the score of the strata marks
    While millenniums winked like campfire sparks
    Down the winds of unguessed time. -- 4th Stanza, The Bad Lands, Badger Clark