New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Birth Of A New Species: IC.

The ray of bluish light strikes the jellylike substance and a grayish splotch spreads across its front, but the thing doesn't seem to be that affected.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I don't remember the specifics, but that is some kind of Gelatinous Cube, an Ooze native to many cave systems. And I believe it will trap you inside if you let it get close." answers Flowdy to Marius.

Spoiler
    Show
    I know talking is free, but knoweledge checks are?
    If they are really free, then we should get them automatically when we meet something we would know.
    I guess we would waste the DM time by requesting him to make the rolls, as well as spot or listen rolls should be, but I would preffer it for speed.
    Last edited by Korney; 2012-12-03 at 09:11 PM.
    Avatar masterfully done by the ever gifted Gnomish Wanderer

3. - Top - End - #243

Seeing the creature of goo unaffected by the magic of his companion, Ogodei takes a step forward as he readies his scimitar and shield.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 feet step toward the creature, draw scimitar and ready shield.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Troll in the Playground

"Finally!" Seric has grown frustrated with the double dealings and lies of the townsfolk and relishes the opportunity of honest battle. She takes one shot with her crossbow before dropping it and readying her shield.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm glad that I'd already declared that I'd loaded the crossbow.

Nobody is actually in melee yet so no -4 to hit, right?
    Light crossbow (1d20)[17]
    Damage (1d8)[1]
    Confirm critical 19+ (1d20)[11]
    Critical damage (1d8)[8]

Free action to drop the crossbow
    Move action to ready the shield

EDIT: This is the second time Seric has been in combat. Both times she has rolled high to hit and rolled for minimum damage. Clearly the dice gods intend either for her to be merciful or for her to slowly torture her enemies with low damage rolls. The death of a thousand bruises.
    Last edited by hoverfrog; 2012-12-04 at 04:44 AM.
    I didn't choose the life of a murderhobo, it chose me.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #245

As Ogodei advances, Flowdy's lantern comes whirling past him to smash on the tunnel floor. A sheet of fire springs up, and the gelantinous wall recoils from the heat. Seric's bolt shoots past and embeds itself in the thing's gooey body with little appearant effect.

[OOC] It's Marius's turn again, in case that wasn't clear. There is about a 10-ft stretch of tunnel that is on fire right in front of Ogodei. The Cube is about 5ft from the edge of the fiery spot.[/OOC]
    Last edited by ReaderAt2046; 2012-12-04 at 12:33 PM.
    Prince Fraternal of Pudding, Snuzzlepal, Feezy Squeez Lover, MP, Member of The Most Noble And Ancient Order Of St. George, King of Gae Parabolae.

Lego Ergo Sum

"Everyone's cute if you just look at them the right way"~Rebekah Patton Durham, Princess of Pudding.

"If they have stats, we can kill them... I'd like to point out that we also have stats..." ~ PhoenixGuard09.

Warhammer 40K: Where the faction that is a cross between the Inquisition and Space Nazis are the good guys.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Sorry about that, should have adviced you. But seriously, be careful getting closer." sais Flowdy when he sees the faces of his companions.

If there is enough room to get a clear shot, he shoots his crossbow and steps back a little more.
    He tries to notice if the arrow gets corroded once inside the creature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20)[14]
    damage (1d8)[2]

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

"Why do we need to avoid getting closer?" Seric was ready to charge in but the warning pulls her up.

Spoiler
    Show
    My initiative is after the cube so I'm waiting to see if it advances.
    Also I know that gelatinous cubes engulf people but Seric doesn't. Finally despite playing D&D since AD&D days this is the first time I have actually encountered a gelatinous cube in a game. Why does nobody use the classics?
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #248

Marius holds his ground, waiting for the cube to get closer. "What happens if we get trapped inside?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying an Acid Splash this time, as all of Marius' good spells are touch-range, and, uh, forget that. (1d20+1)[15] Damage: (1d3)[1]
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

9. - Top - End - #249

The small splash of greenish acid sprays the cube, but to little appearant effect, merely seeming to add to the oozing slime already covering the thing.

[OOC] If you try to move forward now, you'll have to cross the section of floor that's on fire.[/OOC]

Lego Ergo Sum

10. - Top - End - #250
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: well, it seems my roll wasn't high enough to know the specifics, DM only told me what kind of creature it is and that we would look delicious inside it.

11. - Top - End - #251

Spoiler
    Show
    You'd know that it can digest you if it engulfs you, all Oozes do that (I think). And just a reminder that it's DualShadow's turn.

Lego Ergo Sum

12. - Top - End - #252

Seeing the floor carpeted in fire, Ogodei stands still to see the creature's next move. "So far only fire seems to work alright to keep the creature at bay, anyone got more?"

13. - Top - End - #253

Flowdy's second crossbow bolt buries itself in the creature's jello-y body, but it doesn't even seem to notice. The thing is clearly afraid of the fire, but it doesn't seem inclined to retreat any further. (It takes no action.)

Lego Ergo Sum

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

"I have a bottle of oil... someone throw it at the ooze and then we will try to set it on fire." sais Flowdy reaching for his oil bottle and handling it out for whoever wants to pick it. "I just hope we don't choke form the toxic smoke it may spread."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action to reload crossbow and move action to reach the bottle seems right?

OOC: We could use another latern to lit it up, and just go back where the supplies were and take new ones.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Troll in the Playground

Seric picks up her dropped crossbow and reloads it. She shrugs off her shield so she can shoot it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two move actions this round.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #256

"I've got a brilliant idea! Hand me that flask of oil!" Marius holds out his hand for the oil Flowdy is holding, while fishing a rag out of his pocket with the other one.
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

17. - Top - End - #257

Flowdy passes you the oil (as per his declared action). What do you want to do with it?

Lego Ergo Sum

18. - Top - End - #258

Marius removes the stopper from the flask of oil, and then stuffs the rag into the opening. He pulls out flint and steel, and sets about lighting the end of the rag on fire. Once it's lit, he hurls it toward the cube, aiming to hit the ground just in front of it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius is prepping a Molotov cocktail to hopefully burn the cube. He'll be aiming at the square the cube is in, rather than the cube itself, as it seems too soft to break the flask on contact. Attack roll: (1d20+2)[17]

19. - Top - End - #259

[OOC] According to RAW, preparing a flask that way takes a full-round action, so everyone else takes a turn (The cube will again take no action, the floor is still on fire.

Lego Ergo Sum

20. - Top - End - #260

Spoiler
    Show
    That's what I figured. Hold that attack roll until Marius' next turn, then.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flowdy attaches an empty scroll (OOC: I assume scrolls are more than just paper) to the bolt on his crossbow and waits until Marius succesfully makes fire to ignite it.
    Then he shoots it at the ooze.
    "I hope this works."

Spoiler
    Show
    attack (1d20)[19]
    damage (1d8)[8]

I think I use a full round action too, so I attack in the same turn as Marius.

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Seric will shoot the cube and reload while the others mess about with lantern oil.

Spoiler
    Show
    Light crossbow (1d20)[8]
    Damage (1d8)[8]
    Confirm critical on 19 or 20 (1d20)[6]
    Damage (1d8)[7]
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #263

Seric: The heavy, armor-piercing bolt does its job. It does not lodge in the Cube, it cuts clean through it. The cube ripples as the bolt punctures it.

Marius: Your improvised Molotov hurls through the air and smashes perfectly, dousing the front surface of the Cube in flaming oil. It immediately recoils, and you can see the sheet of fire that is its front vanishing down the corridor.

(2d6)[5]

Flowdy's fire arrow likewise is effective, though not so dramatically as the Cube.

After a few seconds, the fire on the floor and on the Cube burn out at roughly the same time.

Lego Ergo Sum

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

"More oil? It seemed to work well." Seric goes over to the crates and takes several vials, a lantern and some spare torches. "Flowdy, is there a way to wrap some cloth or something around a crossbow bolt so that it can be lit?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming that it'll return at any moment so I'm being quick in collecting gear.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #265
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Sadly I lack the craftmanship to make a highly-efficient fire bolt. But wraping the top of the bolt in oil soaked cloth and litting it before shooting will be midly effective at short range. Specially if this creatures are afraid of fire." answers Flowdy.

"But now that we know its weak point, I belive a long-stick torch will be the perfect tool." Flowdy makes a torch at the top of his staff and hangs a latern. He uses it to light the way and avoid encountering any other of those things by surprise.

Spoiler
    Show
    Something like this, but with a soaked cloth above the latern. So if the need be, I can smash the latern against the floor and ignite the torch.

26. - Top - End - #266

The Easterner looks at the group he works with with some small smile as he enjoys their efficient work and battle tactic. "Another fight where I was unneeded. Soon you might start questioning if I can do anything at all." He smirks as soon as he ends his last word.

27. - Top - End - #267

After a few minutes, you encounter the cube again.

Lego Ergo Sum

28. - Top - End - #268
    Troll in the Playground

"I suggest blocking it's retreat so we can finish it off. Let's lure it back to the room and put oil in the tunnel entrance. Or maybe we can get it to eat some flasks and then set them alight with flaming bolts." Seric's elaborate plan is fuelled by the thought of seeing the mass of gelatinous ooze exploding in a fiery conflagration more than anything practical.
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269

"I think feeding it the flasks may prevent them from being ignited at that time; the thing doesn't seem to have any cavities in which something could burn. That said, dousing it in further fire seems to be a reasonable plan. Hand me another flask and rag."

30. - Top - End - #270

The cube continues to advance, but does not reach you before you prepare the flask.

Lego Ergo Sum