New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Unread posts link intermittently weirding out

Recently, about 5-10% of the time when I click the Go to first new post image link next to a thread, it considers posts I've already seen to be unread, often as far back as the beginning of the current page. I don't believe I've seen this problem before about a week ago, and I'm unfortunately not sure how to reproduce it.

Anybody have insights, more reliable repros, or the like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Unread posts link intermittently weirding out

Is this related to posts not showing up properly? I.e. does this happen when the most recent post is either invisible without checking the reply function's review of the topic or does not match the most recent post according to the thread list?

If you know a couple of threads and when it happened the mods might be able to check if it is caused by problems with deleted or edited posts.

Did you make a post, go to the thread list, and then use the "go to first unread post" button to read the ninja replies?

Those are the only quirks of the forum software I have seen or, in the case of the second one, dream up. There are probably other issues possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unread posts link intermittently weirding out

Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Is this related to posts not showing up properly? I.e. does this happen when the most recent post is either invisible without checking the reply function's review of the topic or does not match the most recent post according to the thread list?

If you know a couple of threads and when it happened the mods might be able to check if it is caused by problems with deleted or edited posts.

Did you make a post, go to the thread list, and then use the "go to first unread post" button to read the ninja replies?
    Nope, probably not, and nope. The cases are generally where I've already seen those posts once before with "go to first unread post", and seem unconnected to paging problems.

Example: first two posts on the last page of D&D 5th Edition: Thread #7. I saw them with "go to first unread post", also opened the page link (I like to have all page links marked as visited in my browser, don't ask), and then several hours later opened first unread post again, and it took me to those and marked them unread.

Edit: another example is http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...2#post14216862 through http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...5#post14217195 were re-displayed.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2012-11-13 at 10:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity