New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 121 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627282930313233344974 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

A 366 Ask your DM.

The rules don't include any of the physical consequences of teleportation, such as whether velocity is preserved. Your DM might treat this as a false destination, or you might teleport successfully into the moving vehicle but immediately take damage from having your body forcibly brought to a matching velocity.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Barbarian in the Playground

Q 367
    What is and isn't copied by a Simulacrum spell? Specifically:
    a) If the creature to be duplicated was subjected to ability score damage (such as by poison) before the blood/hair/whatever was taken and the spell cast, would the simulacrum have the same damage? What about ability drain? What about increases, such as from reading an ability increasing book or receiving a wish?
    b) If the creature had received an instantaneous effect without a duration (such as Feeblemind) or an effect with a permanent duration (like a Mark of Justice) would that carry over to the simulacrum? If this sort of thing is copied, could they later be removed (like using Heal or Limited Wish to remove the Feeblemind effect)?
    c) If the creature was dead when the blood/hair/whatever was taken, is there any reason the spell wouldn't create a living simulacrum?
    Last edited by Lord Il Palazzo; 2013-01-02 at 02:32 PM.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 367 a)

The spell's copy is based on the current state of the creature.

A 367 b)

Again, the duplicate is based on the current state of the creature. No spells (even permanent spells) are copied, but the Simulacrum is based on the state at the time the spell was cast.

A 367 c)

A dead creature is no longer in any D&D creature category; instead it's an object, and cannot be duplicated by Simulacrum.

4. - Top - End - #694

Q 368 (follow-up from A 367)

To be clear: Would an instantaneous effect like Feeblemind be copied? Could such effects (or ability damage from poison, for that matter) be cured?

Also: If a dead creature isn't a creature, are spells like Daze Monster that target a "living creature" just being redundant or is it just a fancy (and ill-defined) way of saying "non-undead, non-construct"?

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ettin in the Playground

A 368 Second part

A living creature is a creature with a constitution score. Undead and Constructs are not living creatures but there may be others.

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    Q 353 If you cast shapechange and change into a creature with special abilities that can only be used a number of times per time period, can you change into another species after using up the limited abilities and then back to another member of the first species to get additional uses?
    Example: Change into Zodar, Use Wish (1/year), change into something else, change into (another) Zodar, use wish and so on.
    A 353: Ask your DM. This is certainly not made clear by RAW.

If you are the DM in question, I would certainly recommend no. The rationale behind this is the same rationale douglas used earlier in regards to eagle's splendor and turn attempts/lay on hands. Gaining one wish per casting of shapechange (in addition to the other benefits of shapechange) should be more than sufficient for most games. (Other sources to imply this are the stacking rules -which don't directly apply, but are indicative.)
    Last edited by mattie_p; 2013-01-02 at 08:53 PM.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 368
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Il Palazzo View Post
    To be clear: Would an instantaneous effect like Feeblemind be copied? Could such effects (or ability damage from poison, for that matter) be cured?
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum
    It appears to be the same as the original, but it has only one-half of the real creature’s levels or Hit Dice (and the appropriate hit points, feats, skill ranks, and special abilities for a creature of that level or HD).
    That list is what the spell copies. If your original creature had INT and CHA scores of 1 (for whatever reason) those scores would be copied; that's part of appearing to be the same as the original. However, while the duplicate is based on the state of the original creature at the time of casting, spells involved in forming that creature's state are not on the list of things copied, so there is nothing that could be cured from the duplicate. Note that curing or otherwise improving a Simulacrum's level or abilities is never possible anyway:
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum
    A simulacrum has no ability to become more powerful. It cannot increase its level or abilities.
    Spells like Fox's Cunning always fail on a Simulacrum. If a Simulacrum sustains poison damage after creation, that ability damage is always permanent because nothing can increase the Simulacrum's abilities. (There is no prohibition against decreasing those abilities.) Similarly, negative levels are permanent as well.

8. - Top - End - #698
    Ogre in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Q 369
    Can I choose to jump a distance that is less that that of my jump check? For example, if I have +20 to jump and roll a 20, do I need to move the full 40 feet (assuming I had a running start) or can I make the jump only 10ft?

Q 370
    a. Assuming I meet the appropriate DC, can I make a charge attack if I cover the distance entirely by jumping?

b. If not, would having the Leap Attack feat change that?

b. If this is possible, would it allow me to bypass difficult terrain?

9. - Top - End - #699
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 369 Yes.

Every Jump check has a DC, which you set by determining how far you wish to leap. If you make or exceed that DC you Jump the distance desired. If you roll less than the DC then you fail.

A 370

This is certainly possible, assuming you comply with all the other Charge movement requirements. You would bypass all the difficult terrain except on your initial and landing squares. Leap Attack would give you a boost to damage, but that feat isn't required to use your skills during normal (land-based) movement.

10. - Top - End - #700
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 371
    Do you also lose the Wisdom bonus to AC as a monk when immobilized, helpless, or wearing a shield, or do you only lose the AC bonus from your monk levels?

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 372: With Imbued Summoning, does the expended 1-3rd level spell go on each creature or just as many as I can give up? Like if I have Mage Armor prepared x4 for the day, and I cast summon monster 5 and bring up 1d4+1 lower level summons, and I roll 5, do I have to spend 4 mage armors to give to 4 of the 5 creatures summoned or do I only lose 1 prepared mage armor?
    Last edited by killem2; 2013-01-03 at 12:32 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

12. - Top - End - #702
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 371

You lose both the WIS bonus and the static bonus based on your Monk level.
    These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armor, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.
    Note the plural.

13. - Top - End - #703

Q 372

If a creature has perfect fly speed, do they get any special dodge bonus or AC while in flight? Can they also cast spells while flying better then say someone that is clumsy flight.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A372
    You only use 1 mage armor, and it affects all creatures. The feat only allows you to use 1 spell when casting the summoning spell, and it only references "the summoned creature," meaning it refers to the individual creature summoned. If you summon more than one, it refers to them all individually, so they all get the benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by silverwolfer View Post
    Q 373
    If a creature has perfect fly speed, do they get any special dodge bonus or AC while in flight? Can they also cast spells while flying better then say someone that is clumsy flight.
    A373
    No, they do not get a dodge bonus. Neither can they cast spells better. Perfect maneuverability affects only the factors listed on Table: Maneuverability.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-03 at 03:52 AM.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q373
    If a barbarian wears heavy armor does he lose the uncanny dodge?

Q374
    Is alarm spell detectable by a detect magic spell?

Q375
    if there are two alarm spells at the same location, does a single dispel magic dispel two of them?

16. - Top - End - #706
    Ettin in the Playground

A 373

No. You may be confusing it with Evasion, which can only be used wearing no armor or light armor.

A 374

Yes, why not?

A 375

Yes, if you use the Area dispel. Targeted dispel will only work on one of them.

17. - Top - End - #707
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 376

Which undead creatures retain the spellcasting abilities they had in life?

18. - Top - End - #708
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Q 376

Which undead creatures retain the spellcasting abilities they had in life?
    Necropolitans and Liches both do, and are the traditional things for casters to turn into (the latter only because of classes and PrCs that do it for them, such as Dread Necromancers and Walkers in the Waste).

JaronK

19. - Top - End - #709
    Ettin in the Playground

I know of those two, are there others? The creature need not be suitable for PCs.

20. - Top - End - #710
    Titan in the Playground

I know of those two, are there others? The creature need not be suitable for PCs.
    C376: Ghost and vampires do in Core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

21. - Top - End - #711
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q377

Does Choose the Poison (from Ultimate Feats) influence on Freezing the Lifeblood?

Choose the Poison: When using a stunning attack, you choose whether your opponent must attempt a Fortitude or Will save.

22. - Top - End - #712
    Halfling in the Playground

DrowGuy

BUMP
    Q 362

A changeling can shape his body but not his outfit and equipment. What about Doppelganger and lv.5 Cabinet Trickster?

23. - Top - End - #713
    Banned

Q349 (repost and rephrasing)
    Does anyone know what the official age ranges and random height/weight rolls are for Goliaths? They don't seem to be present in Chapter 3 of Races of Stone where all other Goliath information that I know of appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Kred View Post
    Q377
    Does Choose the Poison (from Ultimate Feats) influence on Freezing the Lifeblood?
    I've never heard of Ultimate Feats, so I'm guessing it's a 3rd party book, and thus outside the scope of this thread.

EDIT - Q378
    The psionic power Telekinetic Maneuver can be used to perform a Grapple attempt against an opponent each round (among other options). When starting such a Grapple, do you first need to make a touch attack against the target, or do you proceed directly to your (modified as per the power's text) Grapple check?

EDIT2 - Q379
    The text for Grappling indicates that a grappled charcter can only cast spells which take 1 standard action or less (among other restrictions). Thusly, something like Summon Monster would be impossible. Does the same restriction apply to psionic powers such as Astral Construct? I can't find it in the EPH.
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-03 at 11:16 AM.

24. - Top - End - #714
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q380 (i think)

(please tell me if i should post this somewhere else, it concerns a magic item i don't know is homebrewed or not, sorry in advance if it's in the wrong section)

what are the ways for a caster to get rid of anti-magic, magic-drain, silence, and other effects that render your divine AND arcane casting abilities null by himself with no other outside help?

my dm's got some enchanted rope that has got this basic enchantment on it, that he loves to wrap around our necks when we're captured. (so no dispel magic spells coming from us... we tried that, it's cancelled, although dispelling magic on the rope works) scrolls are out of the question as well, since none of the non-casters can read magic, and our possessions are taken from us.
    we can't take them off as they auto-tighten if we pull on them. and it's the same deal if we cut them
    i just don't know enough about spells in 3.5 to find a loophole.
    party concerned is a magician 5, rogue4/enchanter1, priest 5, monk 4, warrior 5
    Spoiler: quotes
    Show
    regarding my choice of sustenance:
    Quote Originally Posted by Raimun View Post
    I'm going to judge you.
    My judgement is: That is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    GM: “If it doesn't move and it should, use duct tape. If it moves and it shouldn't, use a shotgun.”
    dm is Miltonian, credit where credit is due.

when in doubt,
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Ask the beret wearing insect men of Athas.

25. - Top - End - #715

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Q349 (repost and rephrasing)
    Does anyone know what the official age ranges and random height/weight rolls are for Goliaths? They don't seem to be present in Chapter 3 of Races of Stone where all other Goliath information that I know of appears.
    A349 (sort of): Not sure about anything 3.5, but there is a table in the 4th ed PHII.
    -------------∩____∩
    <:::::[]=0-|(• ◡•)| ノ\(❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

Link/Triforce and Reinhard von Lohengramm avatars by the talented Kymme!

26. - Top - End - #716
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Guizonde View Post
    Q380 (i think)

(please tell me if i should post this somewhere else, it concerns a magic item i don't know is homebrewed or not, sorry in advance if it's in the wrong section)

what are the ways for a caster to get rid of anti-magic, magic-drain, silence, and other effects that render your divine AND arcane casting abilities null by himself with no other outside help?

my dm's got some enchanted rope that has got this basic enchantment on it, that he loves to wrap around our necks when we're captured. (so no dispel magic spells coming from us... we tried that, it's cancelled, although dispelling magic on the rope works) scrolls are out of the question as well, since none of the non-casters can read magic, and our possessions are taken from us.
    we can't take them off as they auto-tighten if we pull on them. and it's the same deal if we cut them
    i just don't know enough about spells in 3.5 to find a loophole.
    party concerned is a magician 5, rogue4/enchanter1, priest 5, monk 4, warrior 5
    C380: This isn't a very simple question, so I suggest starting a new thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

27. - Top - End - #717
    Orc in the Playground

Q350

Say a succubus charms a player using her abilities, can she force the player to attack the other players? (Assuming they fail the very hard charisma check with a +4)

Does she need to provide very specific orders to prevent the player from nitpicking them to his own advantage?

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 381: Would it be possible to buy a wand of Cure Moderate Wounds for the price of a level 1 wand, if made by a Runescarred Beserker? (assuming they had all the crafting mumbo jumbo to make it.)
    Last edited by killem2; 2013-01-03 at 06:55 PM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

29. - Top - End - #719
    Ettin in the Playground

A 381
    Quote Originally Posted by Qc Storm View Post
    Q350

Say a succubus charms a player using her abilities, can she force the player to attack the other players? (Assuming they fail the very hard charisma check with a +4)

Does she need to provide very specific orders to prevent the player from nitpicking them to his own advantage?
    No, never, not in a million years can the succubus in any way influence any player. If that is the case, seek professional help.
    Now if you are talking about the player characters, the succubus can convince one character that the other characters are not his friends and that violence against them may be necessary. It is however pretty much up to the DM:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    An affected creature never obeys suicidal or obviously harmful orders, but it might be convinced that something very dangerous is worth doing.
    The text does not say whether only actions harmful to the target of the target of the charm are excluded or if any order to do or receive harm won't be obeyed.

If you want to make the character do something, suggestion may be the better choice.

30. - Top - End - #720
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 382 No.
    A runescar is a means of storing a spell, much like a scroll. ... A runescar berserker can only cast spells by crafting them as runescars; she has no other spellcasting capability and cannot use spell completion or spell trigger magic items based on spells from this list.
    She may scribe a runescar only on her own body.
    Creating Wands

The creator must have prepared the spell to be stored (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any focuses the spell requires. ... The act of working on the wand triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting during each day devoted to the wand’s creation. (That is, that spell slot is expended from her currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.)
    The Runescarred Berserker can store spells on their body, but this does not qualify as preparing those spells as required for creating wands. Because the class description specifically disclaims all other spellcasting capability, a Runescarred Berserker can never use an item creation feat.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-01-03 at 07:14 PM.