New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 121 FirstFirst ... 52021222324252627282930313233343536373839405580 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

A465
    - What happens when you take out pre-requisite feats/skill ranks?

This depends on what is losing its prerequisite. If you lose the prerequisite for a feat you lose the ability to use the feat (you still have the feat, but cannot use it except while qualifying for it).
    If you lose the prerequisite for a Prestige Class then it depends. Two of the books (iirc) state that if you no longer qualify for entry to a PC then you lose all the bonuses granted by that PC, however a number of PCs (like Dragon Disciple) take the character to a state where they do not qualify for the PC that got them there.
    Also some classes and PCs have specific statements on what happens if you become ineligible for them (like Paladin and alignment changes).

So in summary - for feats you lose access to the abilities granted by the feat (and any granted by feats that the feat is a prerequisite for). For other things - come back with a more specific question.

A466
    In game terms a prayerbook is an Archivist's spellbook and is only useful to archivists.
    More generally a prayerbook with be an ordinary book with prayers written in.
    I don't believe there is anything in the rules stating that wizards (or other spellbook classes) can only use the PHB "spellbook" (or the Boccob's BB) to write their spells in, so in some ways any book used by a wizard to record spells would become a "spellbook". However if you use any other book, agreement would need reaching on the page size equivalency, as the amount of space a spell requires in a book is defined in pages of the "standard" spellbook.

2. - Top - End - #872
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 467

How much do you multiply a crit from a charge attack with a heavy lance with spirited charge? 3x + 3x = ?

3. - Top - End - #873
    Banned

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Re: A 461 Dispute
    No, that's definitely not the original ("belonging or pertaining to the origin or beginning of something") state; rather, it's the very definition of current ("belonging to the time actually passing") state.
    A461 Dispute

By that reading, all class levels are lost. In fact, anything that changed the caster since the origin. Considering Aging (not in the mechanical sense) is a change to the form of the origin, where do you consider origin? The moment the sperm makes its way into the egg? Only if the egg is fertilized? Childbirth? First day at full adulthood? 1st Class Level?

Or, as it is commonly used, the original form is the form you are in at the time of casting (in other words, current); ie 1st Cast actually replaces your form with a new one, 2nd cast used on the new form enchants you with a permanent duration new form.

A465 Continuation
    Thank you. I have as entry for my 2 Pretige Classes a requirement of 26 Skill Points invested over 4 Skills, with minimum entry by Level 7, 2 Knowledge, Concentration and Spellcraft. I have 20+Int Skill Points by Level 7; as you can see it is quite a skill starved advancement, and once I've taken first level in those classes I'd like to Reform them out into more useful ones.

A466 Continuation
    Again thanks; that is what I thought. Can I use BBB to store both my Archivist Spells and Wizard Spells?

4. - Top - End - #874
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Q 468

Can you use Spell-Like abilities in a Rage?
    e.g. could a Warlock/Barbarian Still use his Eldritch Blast whilst raging?
    Last edited by bungo_underhill; 2013-01-11 at 06:48 AM. Reason: bold question number

5. - Top - End - #875
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yomega View Post
    Q 467

How much do you multiply a crit from a charge attack with a heavy lance with spirited charge? 3x + 3x = ?
    A467: Since x3 is x2 + x2, that case is x2 + x2 + x2 + x2. Each additional doubling adds +x1.
    So the answer would be x5.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

6. - Top - End - #876
    Troll in the Playground

Q 469

Can a Warlock take both Spell-Like Ability Focus (Races of Faerun, p. 168) and Ability Focus (Monster Manual, p. 303) to increase his DCs by +4? Or is the latter a 3.5 rewrite of the former (which is 3.0)?
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

A469: Even though it's an unname bonus, both the effect and the way to get the effect are identical, which is a very strong reason not to have them stack.
    A DM could however stick to an extreme ruling according to the letter of the rules and have them stack because they are unnamed bonuses.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

8. - Top - End - #878
    Titan in the Playground

Q470:When Using Shadow Blade Technique against an incorporeal enemy (or against a corporeal enemy if one themselves is incorporeal), do you re-roll the Incorporeal Miss Chance for each attack roll?

9. - Top - End - #879
    Ettin in the Playground

Q471

How many fine creatures can fit into a square? Can this number be raised by any mean?

10. - Top - End - #880
    Bugbear in the Playground

A471 According to the SRD you can fit 100 Fine sized creatures in a single square. I know of no means of increasing this.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Firbolg in the Playground

MindFlayer

RE:A471
    A swarm of Fine flying creatures holds 10,000 creatures in a 10 ft cube, which means that in each 5 ft cube there's 1,250 Fine flying creatures.

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 472: When a creature has advancements such as 6-10 (Large), 11-19 (Huge), this does not mean it can't go above that right? Like if I wanted to make this make up monster 20-26 (Gargantuan), then 27-40 (Colossal) it would still work in the improving monster section right?
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

13. - Top - End - #883

Q473 Is it possible to use a magic staff as a quarterstaff?

14. - Top - End - #884
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    Q 472: When a creature has advancements such as 6-10 (Large), 11-19 (Huge), this does not mean it can't go above that right? Like if I wanted to make this make up monster 20-26 (Gargantuan), then 27-40 (Colossal) it would still work in the improving monster section right?
    A 472

Those are in fact the limits. Your assumptions that Gargantuan would be 20-26 and Colossal would be 27-40, for example, are completely arbitrary. There is no way to advance a monster past its hit dice limits, which is why other methods of adding hit dice (class levels, bonus hit dice from class features) must be used.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

15. - Top - End - #885
    Pixie in the Playground

Q474

What is it that you add to an attack roll for a spell or psionic power, to see if it hits? I know it's a D20 + your main mod, but I'm pretty sure there's more. Half level, maybe? Also, what do you add to the damage besides your mod?

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

A 474

No, it's just STR/DEX+BAB, but most if not all spells are touch attacks meaning armor bonus, shield bonus and natural armor will not apply to the target's AC.

On spells/powers that require an attack roll, you do not get extra damage from high STR. There are a cuple of feats that increase spell damage.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A 472

Those are in fact the limits. Your assumptions that Gargantuan would be 20-26 and Colossal would be 27-40, for example, are completely arbitrary. There is no way to advance a monster past its hit dice limits, which is why other methods of adding hit dice (class levels, bonus hit dice from class features) must be used.

Q 475: If the monster in question caps at 36HD (Huge), Can I start taking levels in Psychic Warrior up to 7, so I could use an Augmented Expansion on it? Making this a 43 HD Colossal creature?
    Last edited by killem2; 2013-01-12 at 02:45 AM.
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 473

For some, yes.
    A typical staff is like a walking stick, quarterstaff, or cudgel.
    Check the individual staff description. If that doesn't specify its use as a weapon, ask your DM.

19. - Top - End - #889
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Andezzar View Post
    A 474

No, it's just STR/DEX+BAB, but most if not all spells are touch attacks meaning armor bonus, shield bonus and natural armor will not apply to the target's AC.

On spells/powers that require an attack roll, you do not get extra damage from high STR. There are a cuple of feats that increase spell damage.
    Ok, allow me to rephrase, since I don't really get this answer. When you roll to see if the spell you cast, or power you manifested hits, what do you add to the roll? If I recall, it should be whatever your character's main mod is (Int for Psions and Wizards, etc.) + 1/2 Level. I don't think it's different for Psionics and Magic, but I might be wrong on that.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMogget View Post
    Ok, allow me to rephrase, since I don't really get this answer. When you roll to see if the spell you cast, or power you manifested hits, what do you add to the roll? If I recall, it should be whatever your character's main mod is (Int for Psions and Wizards, etc.) + 1/2 Level. I don't think it's different for Psionics and Magic, but I might be wrong on that.
    A474 The spell/power DC formula is 10+spell/power level+key ability modifier. Powers can often also be augmented to increase their DC, usually at a rate of 1 for every 2 pp.

Special abilities are generally 10+half HD+modifier.

Note that none of these are really "to-hit" rolls at all; they're DCs that must be met by the target's rolled save to reduce or avoid the effect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

21. - Top - End - #891
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nettlekid View Post
    RE:A471
    A swarm of Fine flying creatures holds 10,000 creatures in a 10 ft cube, which means that in each 5 ft cube there's 1,250 Fine flying creatures.
    But those aren't "creatures" in the game sense, just the real-world word meaning. If you somehow separated them from the swarm, they would no longer have any game stats. A normal-sized ant isn't a Fine creature, it's just scenery.

22. - Top - End - #892
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    A474 The spell/power DC formula is 10+spell/power level+key ability modifier. Powers can often also be augmented to increase their DC, usually at a rate of 1 for every 2 pp.

Special abilities are generally 10+half HD+modifier.

Note that none of these are really "to-hit" rolls at all; they're DCs that must be met by the target's rolled save to reduce or avoid the effect.
    So, if I attack someone with a spell or power, I don't have to roll to see if it hits, they just roll a save or get hit? And spells that allow a save for half damage always end up doing some damage?

23. - Top - End - #893

MonkGuy

A474

I think you are mixing up the to hit rolls and the spell save DC's.

To hit its BAB+str mod for touch attacks and BAB+dex mod for ranged touch attack. If the spell or power doesn't say either of those, its just goes off (IE fireball requires no attack roll, you pick a spot and boom).

Once the target is hit by a spell, if it allows a save, the DC is one of two things.

For most spells and manifested powers its (10+spell level+casting stat modifier) (Cha for Sorc, int for Wiz, ect)

For spell like abilities and other special powers its either (10+1/2 HD +Cha) mod or (10+1/2 HD +Con mod) depending on the power. Whatever monster/monstrous race provided the ability should specify how to calculate its DC.

Knowing the massive amounts of content there are probably some exceptions to the above, but in most cases that should be accurate.
    A man once asked me the difference between Ignorance and Apathy. I told him, "I don't know, and I don't care"

24. - Top - End - #894
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheMogget View Post
    So, if I attack someone with a spell or power, I don't have to roll to see if it hits, they just roll a save or get hit? And spells that allow a save for half damage always end up doing some damage?
    A474 (cont): Yes. A lot of spells have either half damage or a lesser effect on a save, so (barring Evasion or Mettle) will always have some effect.

Effectively, spells tend to cause something to happen and then its hapless targets try to resist it in various ways, as opposed to attempting to cause something to happen. (At higher levels, spell resistance becomes more common, for example, and immunities to various things.)

However, there are some spells that make attack rolls, usually ranged touch attacks, and you'd use the answer given earlier for those; there are also some spells that are Will/Fort negates, or even Reflex negates, and those do nothing on a successful save.

Edit: Saving Throw may also be useful reading.
    Last edited by TuggyNE; 2013-01-12 at 04:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

A472: The limits are for the creature as written. If you want to homebrew a creature that can get bigger, you can increase the maximum HD and yes, the same rules for advancing a creature in HD would apply as before.

A475: Expansion can only be cast on yourself. Also, it does not add any HD to the psychic warrior that uses it.

26. - Top - End - #896

Q476

Is there a way to make spells that normally target only humanoids (charm person, reduce person, enlarge person...) to affect other kind of creatures (like outsiders) -- without having to research entirely new spells?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #897
    Orc in the Playground

Q 477
    Is there a feat to make Wizards cast based off of Charisma instead of Intelligence? Also determine bonus spells and all that.
    καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει, καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν. John 1:05

Thanks to Cuthalion for the awesome avatar!

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

Spoiler
    Show
    A camp of cyclops on a partially-dead magically-blighted plain.

ThiagoMartel:
    Anime is a media, not a genre. Banning something for being 'too anime' is like banning something for being 'too book'.

28. - Top - End - #898

PirateGuy

Q 478
    A)
    A Warlock with 2d6 eldritch blast damage takes the feat eldritch claw (Dragon mag feat)
    He has a natural claw attack for 1d8 damage and an unarmed attack of 1d3 damage.

Do the eldritch claws do 2d6+1d8 or 2d6+1d3, or 2d6+1d8+1d3.

B)
    If he should take the beast strike feat and be using eldritch claws, does his unarmed attacks now do 1d3+2d6 damage or 1d3+2d6+1d8 damage

C) During a flurry of blows with the breast strike feat and using eldritch claws, does his unarmed attacks now do 1d3+2d6 damage or 1d3+1d8 or 1d3+2d6+1d8 damage
    (The wording on the eldritch claws feat is the concern for this last question, a lot of people have said that beast strike gets around that wording)
    Last edited by Mangles; 2013-01-12 at 10:58 AM.

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

A478: It is only called eldritch claws, but does not actually grant you any claw attacks.
    As a free action, you deactive your eldritch blast and instead add the eldritch blast damage to your two unarmed strikes, which should be 1d3 damage. However, you are not considered unarmed.

You can not take the beast strike feat with eldritch claws.

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ettin in the Playground

A 478 Correction

It does indeed give you up to two claw attacks.

a) you deal 2d6+1d3 (Eldritch blast + unarmed)

b) it deals claw damage (2d6+1d3) + unarmed damage (1d3) as unarmed damage thus 2d6+2d3

c) it deals "normal" unarmed damage (2d6+2d3). You can use your unarmed strike as part of a flurry of blows, you still cannot use eldritch claws as part of your flurry of blows.
    Last edited by thethird; 2013-01-12 at 11:16 AM.