New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 42 of 121 FirstFirst ... 173233343536373839404142434445464748495051526792 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 3609
  1. - Top - End - #1231
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XXII

A 631

What is it that you're confused about? It's hard to answer when there's no explicit question. It doesn't seem like the Mystic does anything strange when getting a new domain - I personally would be confused if the Mystic somehow lost a domain. Perhaps the question is 'does she get extra spells to cast per day from domains?', in which case the answer is no: "...gives her one additional known spell at each level" (DCS 49). The table supports this - it shows only one domain spell per level. There are some PrCs that give additional domains and that also grant extra spells because of it - Sovereign Speaker from Eberron is the only one I can think of offhand, but there might be others.

If that's not your question, then what is your question?

2. - Top - End - #1232
    Banned

Re: Q/A 631

The obvious question would be "does the Mystic gain a spell known from each domain, or choose only one of them"?

3. - Top - End - #1233
    Titan in the Playground

Q632

While I know it's not possible to identify a spell-like ability as it's being cast since they have no somatic or verbal components, but there are 2 other ways to identify a spell (albeit after it's been cast), DC20+spell level lets you identify spells based on effects you can "see or detect" and DC25+spell level lets you identify spells after you roll a save (regardless of if you save or fail) and the spell was a targeted spell against you.

Now my question is, can spellcraft be used to identify spell like abilities in such a manner? I have a friend who argues against it saying that spellcraft specifies spells, thus cannot be used to identify spell-like abilities, but my counterclaim is that spell like abilities function as spells in all ways except the ones noted. Which one of us is right, and if it is me, how can I undeniably prove it to him?

4. - Top - End - #1234
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Q633
    Psionic powers
    Damp Power: what is the length of augmented power's area?

Deflection Field: What kind of attack this field deflects?

5. - Top - End - #1235
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A632

The following uses of Spellcraft can interact with SLAs:
    1. Identify materials created or shaped by magic, such as noting that an iron wall is the result of a wall of iron spell. No action required. No retry.
    2. Draw a diagram to allow dimensional anchor to be cast on a magic circle spell. Requires 10 minutes. No retry. This check is made secretly so you do not know the result.
    3. Understand a strange or unique magical effect, such as the effects of a magic stream. Time required varies. No retry.

1 works for materials created by any magic, not just spells.
    2 would work in the case that the Dimensional Anchor is cast as a SLA.
    3 is determined by the DM.

For every other use, either the Spellcraft skill or the spell it references refers only to spells, and SLAs are not spells.

A633

Augmented Damp Power doesn't have a set area. If you are affected by a power/etc, that affects an area, augmented Damp Power applies to every creature you designate in the area of that power/etc.

Deflection Field applies to any attack where your opponent makes an attack roll. Because it is a deflection bonus, it improves your AC, touch AC, and flat-footed AC.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-29 at 11:29 AM.

6. - Top - End - #1236
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Q634 If I run 60ft (2 move actions) and stop on the edge of the pit, then on my next turn jump over the pit as my first action. Is the jump a running jump?

7. - Top - End - #1237
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rockdeworld View Post
    A633

Deflection Field applies to any attack where your opponent makes an attack roll. Because it is a deflection bonus, it improves your AC, touch AC, and flat-footed AC.
    And it also can deflect spells (touch attack roll)?

Q639
    About Psicrystals: its HD rises with any manifesters or psion only?
    Last edited by Kred; 2013-01-29 at 01:04 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1238
    Banned

Q635
    Must feats be taken in a particular order at character creation? If you're starting as a Fighter 1, can you take Weapon Focus as your fighter feat and then spend your normal feat on something which uses it as a prerequisite, or does your "everybody" feat have to be applied first?

Q636
    What classes get Use Rope in-class other than Rogue and Factotum? Include alternative classes as long as they're first-party (ACFs, Unearthed Arcana, etc.).

Q637
    Other than spells, powers and UMD, what ways are available to inflict Sleep status on someone? Is there a grenadelike sleeping potion you can throw or something? What about other forms of helplessness (apart from "beat them down to 0 HP")? I forget whether Paralyzed equals Helpless, and I know several poisons offer it.

Q638
    Can you get Poison Use at level 1? Do you need it for use of ingested or contact poisons, or does the risk of poisoning yourself only apply when you're venoming a weapon?

9. - Top - End - #1239
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 634 Maybe.

The Jump skill requires that you move at least 20 feet in a straight line beforehand. If you do the running start on the previous turn, you might be attacked or otherwise affected by other characters' actions and have an interruption between your running start and your Jump. In that case your DM could decide that you're making a standing Jump instead.

A 635 No.

The rules for 1st-level character creation (page 6 of Player's Handbook don't have many specifics about order when creating a new character, unlike the explicit sequence for later level advancement (pages 58-59). You can pick the order in which you apply 1st-level feats.

A 638 Yes.

If you're a 1st level Rogue you can get Poison Use in place of trapfinding; see the ACF in Drow of the Underdark on page 58. Readying any poison for use, not just envenoming a blade, imposes risk if you don't have Poison Use. Also note that anyone not immune to poison, even those with Poison Use, risks poisoning themselves if they roll a natural 1 for the attack when attempting to deliver that poison.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2013-01-29 at 01:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1240
    Firbolg in the Playground

R638
    A wand of Delay Poison and/or Neutralize Poison pays for itself if you are going to use poisons of any sort.
    ~~Courage is not the lack of fear~~
    Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    If the party wizard can't survive a supersonic dragon made of iron at epic levels it's his own fault really.
    "In soviet dungeon, aboleth farms you!"
    "Please consult your DM before administering Steve brand Aboleth Mucus.
    Ask your DM if Aboleth Mucus is right for you.
    Side effects include coughing, sneezing, and other flu like symptoms, cancer, breathing water like a fish, loss of dignity, loss of balance, loss of bowel and bladder control."

11. - Top - End - #1241
    Banned

Devil

Q639
    Is there anyway to get 9th level mameuvres as a none initiator?,, even temporarily, outside that of the Maneuvre Scrolls?

12. - Top - End - #1242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q640
    Is there any base class that casts divine spells based on Intelligence? Arcane spells based on Wisdom?
    white text is the bestest you might want to look for it
    DeviantART

13. - Top - End - #1243
    Troll in the Playground

Q 631 Addendum

I mean, would the Mystic add the domain to her spells known (all automatically), or would she have to choose between her two domains for her domain spell at each level? Or, worst case scenario, would she just have the spells on her spell list for the purposes of activating magic items?

A 636

Generic Experts (and NPC Experts) may choose their class skills; so they c an simply choose Use Rope.

A 637

Play as a Brass Dragon or a DFA, drow sleep poison (off the top of my head)

A 640

For Divine, we have the Archivist (casts off of Intelligence and Wisdom).

As for Arcane, there's a single Prestige Class (Unseelie Dark Hunter) that casts off of Wisdom.

14. - Top - End - #1244
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Q641: Are there any rules or RAW pointers relating monster size with monster HD? I.e.: a monster of X type and Y size should have at least Z HD?
    Last edited by Larkas; 2013-01-29 at 07:39 PM.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

15. - Top - End - #1245
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Larkas View Post
    Q641: Are there any rules or RAW pointers relating monster size with monster HD? I.e.: a monster of X type and Y size should have at least Z HD?
    A641: Yes. For any given monster, the Advancement entry lists how many HD can be added through Advancement, and what sizes the monster attains after Advancing a given number of Hit Dice. There are no guidelines for homebrewed monsters, if that is what you were wondering.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

16. - Top - End - #1246
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    A641:There are no guidelines for homebrewed monsters, if that is what you were wondering.
    That was what I was wondering. Thanks, Urpriest.
    Metal Perfection - a template for creatures born on Mirrodin.
    True Ferocity - a simple fix for Orcs and Half-Orcs.
    Monastic Magus - a spiritual successor to the Unarmed Swordsage.
    Pathfinder-ish Synthesist - a simple fix making Synthesist Summoners follow polymorph rules.
    Sword & Sorcery for Sneaky Scoundrels - rogue archetypes/fixes that aim to turn the rogue into a warrior/caster.

17. - Top - End - #1247
    Banned

Q 642
    What's the name of the spell that fuses a creatures multiple arms into one pair and gives a bonus to strength? And where can I find it?

18. - Top - End - #1248
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Q643: What action does it take to use a tower shield for full cover? How long does this last? Is there any action needed to stop gaining full cover? Is this cover directional? What exactly are you limited from doing while taking full cover with a tower shield?
    Recovering Powergamer

19. - Top - End - #1249
    Ogre in the Playground

A 642: Fuse Arms, found in Savage Species. Cleric/Sorcerer/Wizard 3.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

20. - Top - End - #1250
    Banned

Yeah, that's the one. I'll just add that it got updated in Spell Compendium. Now it's 2nd level.

21. - Top - End - #1251
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Kane View Post
    Yeah, that's the one. I'll just add that it got updated in Spell Compendium. Now it's 2nd level.
    Thanks, didn't know it had been as I don't have that source.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

22. - Top - End - #1252
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kred View Post
    And it also can deflect spells (touch attack roll)?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch Attacks
    Some attacks disregard armor, including shields and natural armor. In these cases, the attacker makes a touch attack roll (either ranged or melee). When you are the target of a touch attack, your AC doesn’t include any armor bonus, shield bonus, or natural armor bonus. All other modifiers, such as your size modifier, Dexterity modifier, and deflection bonus (if any) apply normally.
    Referenced in Scorching Ray.

A643

For the first 3: Ask your DM. There is no listed action for taking cover behind a shield, nor an indication of how long it lasts, nor whether you need an action to stop doing so.
    The cover is not directional.
    You cannot make attacks while taking cover behind a tower shield.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-29 at 09:55 PM.

23. - Top - End - #1253
    Ogre in the Playground

A631
    "If the noncleric is a spontaneous caster like a sorcerer or favored soul, then she may select a domain spell to add to her spells known whenever she would have an option to choose a new known spell." (CD 20)

However, the Mystic has got it good in this case because "Unlike a cleric, a mystic does not have to prepare a domain spell and can freely cast all her known spells without special consideration for her domain spell" (DCS 49).

Remember that if the PrC explicitly states that when getting the new domain the character adds all of the domain spells to her 'known' list (or something similar), then you're going to bypass the general rule from CD 20.

Q644 How does one resolve miss chance if attacking a creature that is both incorporeal (with a magic weapon for 50% accuracy) and has total concealment?
    Last edited by GilesTheCleric; 2013-01-30 at 12:49 AM.

24. - Top - End - #1254
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A644
    1. You guess which square it's in and attack that square. If you guessed correctly or knew ahead of time, roll 50% for miss chance. This is due to total concealment.
    2. Roll an attack against the creature's AC, the same as you would for any other creature.
    3. The DM rolls 50% for the creature to ignore the damage. This is due to the creature being incorporeal. It is not miss chance.
    4. If you didn't miss in part 1, you hit the AC in part 2, and the creature didn't ignore the damage in part 3, roll damage.

Note: A ghost touch weapon can't be ignored, meaning the creature doesn't get to do part 3.
    Last edited by rockdeworld; 2013-01-30 at 02:14 AM.

25. - Top - End - #1255
    Banned

Q645
    It's possible to play a Tiny pixie with a bit of LA. Are there any playable races that are naturally Diminutive or Fine? For that matter, toads and bats make an easy reference for how big Diminutive is, but there don't seem to be any Fine animals; what are a few of the most characteristic Fine creatures for comparison? The only one I can think of offhand (and I might be wrong even there) is a Stirge. Fine size doesn't seem to get used much.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    A 636

Generic Experts (and NPC Experts) may choose their class skills; so they c an simply choose Use Rope.
    Why "generic" here? Are there special awesome varities of Expert somewhere?

A 637

Play as a Brass Dragon or a DFA, drow sleep poison (off the top of my head)
    Would it be inappropriate under the forum rules to speculate on a parallel between Drow sleep poison and IRL substances such as Chloroform? (If so, I will delete this ASAP; please don't quote it in the meantime.)
    Last edited by willpell; 2013-01-30 at 02:42 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1256
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Why "generic" here? Are there special awesome varities of Expert somewhere?
    There is, the Unearthed Arcana PC class, akin to a generic skillmonkey.
    Last edited by AsteriskAmp; 2013-01-30 at 03:15 AM.
    The Iron Avatarist Crypt of Fame - Exorcising photobucket from the historic archives of the forum.
    Go and went by many names Ast, Avgvst, Pink-Haired August, araveugnitsuga and nowadays AsteriskAmp.

27. - Top - End - #1257
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 646

Is True Strike discharged or can it be persisted?

28. - Top - End - #1258
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 646
    Yes to both. It could in theory be persisted (I think - not checked) but it only ever effects the "next single attack roll" at which point it is gone.

29. - Top - End - #1259
    Ettin in the Playground

I knew there was something I missed.

30. - Top - End - #1260
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Would it be inappropriate under the forum rules to speculate on a parallel between Drow sleep poison and IRL substances such as Chloroform? (If so, I will delete this ASAP; please don't quote it in the meantime.)
    Not a RAW question. The answer is "no, not against forum rules," BTW.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.