New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Harbingers of the Silver Flame

Aria sits down and rests her chin in her hands. This was a far more exciting week than she had expected, and she was hardly hardened by war like her companions seemed to be and she was certainly not in her element staring at a camp of 300-plus warriors who would love to see her on a barbecue spit. How can we even deal with that? she asks idly to nobody in particular, trying to think of a way to get in, or what would even be a reasonable goal. It wouldn't be feasible to recover all of the artifact pieces, even if they were still in the camp to be retaken, but one might be doable, and with luck that would still render the whole artifact useless. Well, if it was still there.

But then, what about the vargouille conjurer? Rakshasas? Sorcerers? If she was discovered she would be killed or worse, and it seems likely that there are several individuals who could discover her with relative ease even with her magic.

2. - Top - End - #452
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

We don't. said Zal plainly. Sneak in, cut the head off, sneak out. Simple as gobbos.
    Handbook in Process:Getting the Facts Straight: A Guide to the Factotum

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Singular Band: There can be only one
    Khayal: A monster class worth playing

Quote Originally Posted by Deophaun View Post
    Player: I'll use a classic ploy. "Help! Guards! He's having a seizure!"
    DM: You're the only one in the prison.
    Player: I'm very convincing.
    DM: And there are no guards.
    Player: But there's masonry.
    DM: It's not even animate, let alone sentient.
    Player: That's ok. I'll take the penalty.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think Zal is probably right. Fighting them openly is too risky." Ari thinks a moment.

"I wonder... I'm not especially good at being stealthy myself; but, I could probably cause one heck of a diversion up here in the caves. I can't fight all of them or anything, but I could probably draw off the sentries, and in the narrow passages I could force them to engage me one on one... hardly a fair fight for them."
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Current avatar by me <>_<> Needs work.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

- By FlyingChicken <^,^> - By Akrim.elf <^.^>

4. - Top - End - #454
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aria or I can provide a better distraction which would present us no danger. Says Ko, idly. Tell me, do you know the racial makeup of the camp, approximately?

5. - Top - End - #455
    Ogre in the Playground

"I have no idea... but are you sure your magic won't be more useful when it comes to lopping off the head than just providing a distraction?"
    Computer is back! Yay!

Feel free to check out my Deviantart page - it's not great, but I'm trying to change that.

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Can you look like a Raksasha? asks Zal with a smirk. Sneaking into the camp's bound to be no biggie. We might even get them to let us in. Boss's thing, ya'll. he says, trying to be somewhat circumspect around the orc. We can get them to hire us or recruit us or whatever; stab head honcho, and book it out in the dead of the night. Or even better, when they try to get through the tunnels again. If we manage to make them be unable to find their way again... Zal turns to Dre'hiht. Pretty sure your friends wouldn't mind picking them off.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #457
    Barbarian in the Playground

"I'm not sure if you are brave or merely foolish, but I am certain you crazy," Dre'hiht replies. "But as long as you are standing against the evils of the Wastes, my people and I will stand with you.

"Defeating a raksasha is no small task. Even if you can draw away the tribes, the demon is unlikely to leave itself unprotected. You may be able to sneak in, the Carrion Tribes are normally nomads and will accept anyone who can prove useful. Assuming you can tolerate their selfishness and debauchery."

8. - Top - End - #458

For a time I suppose I could. Transforming into a Rakshasa... I can change my form well enough to fool your average person, but I will not become an actual Rakshasa. I would not have their abilities, and there are tests that can reveal my true nature. In addition, it would make us stick out all the more.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't think that would be wise. If we're discovered with such a deception we'd have our cover blown immediately - we'd have just as much chance of going in without the illusion I think; we may have to work harder to get at their leadership that way, but we'd be harder to discover as well."
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #460

"If sneaking into the Carrion's camp is your decision, you have best wait till morning. The vargouille are often out at night, especially near the mountains. You'll want to make camp inside the cave, preferably far enough back that any lights won't be seen from a distance. My people can no longer sleep benieth the open sky," Dre'hiht explains.

The half-orc points to Zal. "Came with me. Since you have my cloak and the looks of someone who can move like a hunter you can help gather some food for us tonight."

You set up camp in an ajoining tunnel just to the side of the exiting cave. After about an hour Zal and Dre'hiht return, carrying a collection of shriveled berries, thin, brown leaves, several small, black-and-brown eggs, and a pair of large lizards. Dre'hiht gives each of you some of the berries, leaves, and an egg. "We eat it all raw," he explains and he skins the lizards and beings to hand each of you strips of meat. "We don't risk the fire and smoke attracting the demons at night."

The food is either bitter or tasteless, but leaves you filled as you lay down for the night, taking shift watching the cave exit. When you wake, you find Dre'hiht, whom had taken the last watch, missing.

Zal
    Spoiler
    Show

While helping Dre'hiht forage for food, you get to learn a bit more about him. Apparently he isn't just some Ghaashk'kala, but is a leader of his clan. Because his clan have failed in their mission to keep the Carrion Tribes from escaping the Demon Wastes, he is in a kind of exile until he can regain his clan's honor.

Aria
    Spoiler
    Show

As you get your pack in order for the day, the Ring of Communication begins to fill warm. Slipping it on you soon hear a vaguely familar voice speaking. "The mirror is easy to put together. Turmfarr will present it to her this afternoon."

You realize who the speaker is with the second sentence. The demon summoning sakah, Turmfarr, also spoke in thrid person back in Midhome.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Sorry, thought it was the raiders'.Zal says, grinning as he trots off with Dre to hunt; sneaking up on things was his specialty and the chance to show off entertained his sensibilities.

---

Hey, wake up. Zal whispers to his companions upon seeing their comrade gone. Feeling paranoid he looks around for signs of rough play or any indication where he has gone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search: (1d20+3)[4]

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ogre in the Playground

Aria's eyes widen at the voices and she wordlessly scrambles for something to write with, patting herself down before digging through her pack. If she spoke she might give herself away, and if she removed the ring she might miss something important.

She finds nothing, but the resourceful gnome is undaunted. She pats Zal hurriedly on the leg to get his attention and points to the ground as words quickly form themselves in contrasting red on the stone before her.

I can't speak because he might hear me, but the vargouille conjurer is speaking, "The mirror is easy to put together. Turmfarr will present it to her this afternoon." Turmfarr is his name and it's his voice, he refers to himself by name. If he's in range of the ring they must be close, so we actually have a chance of getting the things back and we've got a few hours to do it.

Spoiler
    Show
    1/day racial prestidigitation to avoid verbal components, using it with its hour duration to write (the writing will also disappear after the duration is up).

13. - Top - End - #463

Aria
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another voice replies to Turmfarr. It sounds familar and after a moment you realize it sounds like Dre'hiht. "Then it seems I will finally be paying your camp a visit today."

Turmfarr sounds slightly alarmed. "Are you sure that is necessary?"

"Don't worry about loosing any authority. I will not present myself as your guide through the mountains. Just tell me how to enter the camp without any trouble or questions."

There is a moment of silence before Turmfarr responds in Infernal. "Tell the sentries you are of the moonlight of the demons' heads. They will know you are Turmfarr's guest and will not bother you."

Zal
    Spoiler
    Show
    You don't find any evidence that Dre'hiht was anything more than a figment of your imagination.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2013-06-03 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Speeling!

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

Aria narrows her eyes and grins broadly, and the text continues on the ground.

It sounds like Dre'hiht now, he said he'll be paying Turmfarr's camp a visit and "will not present [himself] as [Turmfarr's] guide through the mountains." He's either very clever or very stupid, too, because he also gave us the key to get in unmolested. There's a password, it's The language of the text changes to infernal, and reads in the language of fiends, "We are of the moonlight of the demons' heads."

15. - Top - End - #465
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Zal grits his teeth, feeling his stomach curdle. Keep tuned. If he blabs about us we're having a very hard time sneaking in. We need to cut that loose end he says angrily. I bet the food he gave us was intended to knock us out and let him sneak off. So, lets head on over there.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

Aria shakes her head and looks back at the ground. Part of the text erases itself, making room for the new.

I think it's too early to assume that. We still don't entirely know what we're dealing with.

17. - Top - End - #467

The ring's warmth fades as the conversation ends.

OOC
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry, forgot to put that at the end of my last post.

18. - Top - End - #468

After a moment, Dre'hiht and Dorsl return to the cave. The half-orc holds up what appears to be a rabbit of some sort, except it is as large as a dog and its ears look like they are lined with teeth. "Looks like one of the snares we set last night caught us breakfast," the ranger says to Zal.

Dre'hiht stops mid stride. "What has happened?" he asks, a concerned frown replacing his usual scowl.

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ogre in the Playground

The magical text wipes itself clean as Aria turns to look at Dre'hiht. Nothing much, Aria says heavily. We're just on edge trying to figure out how we're going to do this. Zal and Ari just had it out, and they've both got a humor tumor or just won't get over themselves. She shrugs, continuing I said they just need to get laid, but they got angry with me when I pointed out the convenience of a human pair who need the same thing with an extensive cave network for privacy. The lovely gnome sighs, throwing her hands in the air in exasperation. Humans! They're so proud of being so pragmatic until you scare them with cooties.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+16)[33]

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Good. We were worried about you. says Zal, keeping himself in check. You were gone for quite some time, before we woke up. I feared you'd run into the raks or their minions. Glad you're here and safe. snorting at Aria's tale; the gnome's fabrication assumed too much about the man. And I'm not humorless, my style just goes over your head, and your jokes are too low brow. Besides you presume too much.

Spoiler
    Show
    not a bluff in sight: we were worried about him, especially him meeting up with the enemy. In a sense different to the context implied one. Is the distance to the traps reasonable for his absence
    Last edited by Gildedragon; 2013-06-06 at 05:37 PM.

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

Ari blushes furiously at Aria's story, taking a long moment before she can at last convince herself to speak in her defense.

"I-I-I..." She looks at Zal, then back to Aria. "B-but I..." Ari promptly shuts up, unable to do more than stammer in embarrassment.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ogre in the Playground

Aria rolls her eyes. She keeps her tone even, reveling in playing with her compatriots as they misled the potential double-agent of a friend, saying We need you two at your best or we'll all die, and you're not at your best when you're tense and irritable. She shakes her head, adding It was just a suggestion anyway, no reason to bite my head off.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ettin in the Playground

BlackDragon

Or for you to chew at my ankles. And if you worry about my skills, don't. Sharp as a freshly ground knife. he retorts. So how come you left like thief in the night Dre?

Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #474

Ko mostly ignored the exchange, but tuned in to hear Dre speak.

25. - Top - End - #475

"The sun was coming up. The vargouille are only out in number at night. However, the natural predators are just waking. It was safe enough to slip out and make sure they didn't get our breakfast first," the half-orc explains, holding up the rabbit-thing. "We will be safe enough cooking during the day. Perhaps a full stomach will better the moods of these two."

Dre'hiht turns and walks to the ledge in front of the cave entrance and sets about starting a fire with a collection of wood and dried shrubbery that he had gathered earlier. He pays the four of you little mind as he continues his business, skinning and cooking the rabbit on wooden skewers.
    Last edited by Mantid; 2013-06-06 at 08:12 PM.

26. - Top - End - #476

Dre'hiht offers you each a skewer of meat. "I know I would be nervious if I was planning on entering the Carrion Camp. But try to eat, an empty stomach won't help you.

"No, I won't be going with you. It wouldn't take them long to reconize me as a Ghaashk'kala " He gestured toward the large scar on his right shoulder, which strongly resembles a flame. "Dorsl will keep close by. If you discover a way to restore my tribe's honor, he will return to me and let me know."

The half-orc warrior joins you fot he first mile of the jounry to the Carrion Camp before excusing himself and vering off to the West, toward one of the many outcroppings of rocks that break up the otherwise barren, featureless plains. For the last two miles, Dre'hiht's dire rat is only seen occationally at a distance moving between rocks and the rare, dried shrub.

As you approach the camp, a horn sounds from one the sentries. An orc riding a dire wolf rides in from the East to join the sentry who has moved in front of your path. The pair remain there, a couple hundred feet away, watching and waiting to see if you dare approach.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

Aria strides confidently forward. Her voice does not contain the commanding register that would help with Carrion Tribe orcs, but confidence is more than enough most of the time. She dislikes the language of infernals, but greets them anyway in the tone of a ruler. Hail, warriors. We are of the moonlight of the demons' heads, will you stand in our way or die?

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

Ari follows Aria closely, hands ready to grab the great blade on her back at a moments notice.
    Computer is back! Yay!

Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #479

"Mo' of Turmfarr's guests?" the sentry says, obviously awed.

"Turmfarr," the mounted orc says, spitting on the ground. "I thunk that damn Sakah said one guests. These done make five. I don't thunk they should go in."

The sentry looks up at the orc in alarm. "Bu.. but they know da password. Dey mus' be Turmfarr's guests..."

The orc crews his lip and his hand fidgets on the hilt of his sword. "I dunno...'

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Aria immediately reaches for her sword when the orc starts fiddling with his own. More?! There should be only one guest, myself, and my guards. Where is this cretinous imposter? I'll have her head if she's done anything to Turmfarr, and display yours beside it if you don't tell me immediately what's going on!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff (1d20+16)[28] and intimidate (1d20+8)[18]