New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Races that give poison AND fastest to craft bow.

So... my next campaign is a no-magic survival campaign. I am playing a Ranger4/Scout3 with Master of Poisons for poison use and Greater(Improved? IDR) Manyshot. Arrows (Craft: Bowmaking) can be poisoned (Craft: Poison) beforehand so I thought I would make some poisons.

Here the problem. I might not start with my Urban Companion (Sea Snake~!) OR a lousy good-for-nothing Ranger AnC.

My friend said he would be happy to supply natural poison, but I have to pitch the sources to him. So far I have Thri-Kreen. Are there any other good races for a Pouncer Barbarian that have a poison?

EDIT: Also, I want to make a bow. With 10 ranks in Bowcrafting and 14 Wis. Is there a cheaper/faster to make bow than Shortbow?
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2012-11-14 at 07:32 PM.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Races that give poison

...not really. I think Thri-Kreen is the only PC designed race that has a poison. You two could always pitch in and get one of these creatures:

Spoiler
    Show
    Wyvern (A&EG): at 3,000 GP for a young wyvern, it's a good deal. Useful as a mount as well, obviously.

Spider Eater (MM): 2,000g for an egg, a flying mount with poison.

Giant Wasp (A&E, MM): 750g for a larvae, but wasps aren't that great. Still, it's pretty cheap.

Monstrous Scorpion, Huge (A&E, MM): 1,000g for an egg. Not bad at all!

Adamantine Spider (DoTU): you can create these constructs for 5,450g or buy them for 10,900g, and they can be upgraded as well. Each one can carry a single dose of poison that it injects with its bite attack. Good for an artificer.

Warbeast creatures (MMII): This extremely template can be applied to any animals or vermin, which conveniently gives a price for warbeast animals. So find something with a poison you like and buy a warbeast version of it if you can. In general animals purchased this way will be stronger AND cheaper than any other method, and therefore also much more likely to be disallowed.

All that information is from this Poison Handbook.
    Last edited by Morcleon; 2012-11-14 at 05:03 PM.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I was afraid of that. We don't have any money and I do not even start with my AnC.
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

4. - Top - End - #4

Why not? You get it at Ranger 4, no?
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

I only start with the clothes on my back. And I am not even sure about that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Diabolus (DR 327 p62)
    +5 LA though

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

+5? Jesus Quincy Hitler!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

That's strange, they've been reprinted in Dragon Compendium as LA +1, however their poison is only sickened for 2d4 rounds with no secondary effect.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Eh. Thri-Kreen is better. Rounds of Unconsciousness. No limit on number of doses/day.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2012-11-14 at 06:48 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

I assume you've convinced your DM that use of poison is only as evil as why it's used?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

It's a survival campaign, Morcleon. Alignment doesn't matter. My firend and I are planning to kill everyone eventually any way.

EDIT: Added bow query.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2012-11-14 at 07:33 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Greensnake Naga. In addition to having crazy high ability modifiers for +1 LA, they get 1d3 con damage poison for free. Oriental Adventures pg. 173.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Races that give poison AND fastest to craft bow.

2 Str, 4 Dex, 4 Con, 2 Int, 2 Wis? Dayum. I might take it. The poison is rather weak (1d3 Con/1d3 con), but the con bonus helps the DC.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2012-11-14 at 07:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

How are you extrapolating the LA?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like one, that on a lonesome road
    Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round walks on,
    And turns no more his head;
    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread.
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner -- Samuel Coleridge Taylor

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

It's a survival campaign, Morcleon. Alignment doesn't matter. My firend and I are planning to kill everyone eventually any way.
    Ah, touche.

"Die! Die! Everybody die!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Greensnake Naga. In addition to having crazy high ability modifiers for +1 LA, they get 1d3 con damage poison for free. Oriental Adventures pg. 173.
    Yes. Take this. If only because of the ability mods for +1 LA. The poison is decent, especially because its at will.

As for crafting, it's based off Int, for one thing... I would guess that shortbow is probably the cheapest. Haven't trawled through A&EG recently, so there might be something in there...

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

So my buddy is probably going to be a Barbarian1/Scout3/MarrtialMonk2

Con Maxed out, yo!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The DC on a standard bow is DC 12. Composite is 15. Composite with str is 15+(2xmod).

You can do 40 gp ish of value a week taking 10 with your mod. So a short bow in under a week or a longbow in 2 weeks.

If you are in a nonmagical world look into mounted combat. Spirited charge with a lance is triple damage charge and you can move after. But then a composite bow will be needed and you will need to feed a mount.

You can also do full attacks with your bow even when it moves.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Well, you have to consider crafting time versus cost.

A bow cost 100 silver to craft. If I take a ten, my result is 22 x 12 = 264, which will let me finish in half a week.

A composite Shortbow is 250 silver to craft. 22 x 15 = 330, so a week to craft.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

How non-magical is non-magical? Pounce is a supernatural ability for spirit lion totem.
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by mattie_p View Post
    How non-magical is non-magical? Pounce is a supernatural ability for spirit lion totem.
    No MoI, Manifesters, Initiators, and Spellcasters.

Also, no mounts. I would have to have something to mount first.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Start thinking about how to heal. Feral template costs +1LA but provides (Ex) Fast Healing. Might be the cheapest around.

Healing Salve from Tome and Blood might be useful, 50 gp, DC 25 Alchemy to craft, heals 1d8 per dose. Although without spellcasting it might be hard to do alchemy, hmm. Is that houseruled away? Or are you stuck with that?
    Blank 3.5 Character Creator Iron Chef Style Tables (in Google Sheets)

Chairman Emeritus of Zinc Saucier.

Avatar by Derjuin, sing her praises to Elysium.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So now you're claiming that spellcasting "lacks a clear, supernatural element?" Being supernatural is literally the only point of magic.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I was considering taking poison healer, but I am immune to my own poison anyway. This might be tricky, since having 2 +1 LA... actually, if I buy off at at the appropiate ECL, that should be cover it. Scout4/Ranger2 (Since I can't start with AnC/Urban Companion).

Pounce + Claws + My bite should get me through until I get a bow. Then I can start pre-applying poisons to my arrows, and mess people up from afar.

Feats I am taking, IIRC:
    Point Blank Shot
    Precise Shot
    Many Shot
    Rapid Shot (Ranger benefit)
    Improved Manyshot
    Improved Skirmish
    Swift Hunter

Flaws: Probably non-combatant and something else.
    Last edited by Snowbluff; 2012-11-15 at 08:02 AM.