New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Illusionary Armor Spell

I remember reading a spell that basically made you get +8ac like wearing full plate. But if anyone attacked you they get a will save to disbelieve your armor is real or not, like any illusion. I can't remember where I read it or if it was 3rd party or not. The fact that I can't seem to find leads me to believe it was 3rd party. Either way I was wondering if anyone knew of this spell, or if not what lvl spell you think it should be. I like the idea of it and plan on playing an illusionist soon.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Illusionary Armor Spell

Greater Mage armor is +6 AC and in the Conjuration[creation] school and subschool. This means it is eligible for Shadow Conjuration. Shadow Conjuration duplicates a spell with, as you say, a chance that it isn't completely real.

Since the spell targets you, it opens the debate of "can I willingly choose to fail my save to make it 100% real", DM ruling takes point on that one.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Greater Luminous Armor in BoED gives you +8 armor, and melee attackers that use vision take a -4 penalty to hit you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Post Re: Illusionary Armor Spell

Quote Originally Posted by Grooke View Post
    Greater Mage armor is +6 AC and in the Conjuration[creation] school and subschool. Since the spell targets you...
    Shadow Conjuration says "creatures who believe the shadow conjurations to be real are affected by them at full strength. Any creature that interacts with the conjured object, force, or creature can make a Will save to recognize its true nature." It's unclear whether AC is something that affects you, or whether it's something that affects whether an opponent's attack action is able to affect i.e. hit you.

Shadow Conjuration for Greater Mage Armor shouldn't mean you make a will save to see whether you get full AC, but rather each opponent makes a will save to see what your AC is to them. If they fail their save, you get +6 AC. If they make their save, your bonus is 20% so you just get +1 AC. If you trigger a dart trap in the dungeon, you only get +1 AC against its attack because "objects automatically succeed on their Will saves against this spell."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Yes, that is another point of contention with these spell. It could be argued that the caster is so sure the spell worked that its a placebo-like AC affecting him at full force.

Anyone using this kind of shadow magic should really talk to their DM beforehand to iron out the details.

Edit: I'm currently playing a Shadowcraft mage so I'm more favorable to a permissive reading of the rules, but again, the individual DM is ultimately the one who will decide what goes and what doesn't. I'm merely trying to show as many sides of the thing to make a good argument.
    Last edited by Grooke; 2015-04-04 at 06:02 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

No this was clearly a spell that duplicated wearing full plate with no armor check penalty. You know its not real so it doesn't affect you. Anyone else attacking you got a will save to realize its not real. So it was either +8AC or +0. I think there was a breastplate version or chain mail version(some weaker version anyway) as well as the full plate one that was at a lower level. Basically was an upgrade to mage armor that could could be negated with a will save. However you could have both going at once to make it +8 AC or +4. +6 ac as 3rd level for greater mage armor is probably better but I still liked the idea of wearing illusionary armor.