New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 3

Well, this is going to be interesting. Time to avoid some people. I don't really want to explain to anyone why I am here

Tarith follows Bill, intending to evade his senses as well as every other potential observer

Spoiler
    Show

hide, move silently, 33
    climb 11
    spot and listen 26
    will activate arcane sight for this as well.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: "Do not worry, my friend! Not only do I have that spell in my book, but a few scrolls with it as well. Transportation to and from the village should not be a problem. Stephan will have to travel with us, since he isn't ready to cast the spell on his own, although I did allow him to copy it from my book. I'm certain he will be overjoyed to have the chance to copy new spells. We will meet him shortly."

At the mention of the Ritual and rebuilding of Swan's Rest.

"If Stephan and I can be of any help with renovations, you can count on us."

Regarding copying the paintings and the pelorite pilgrims.

"I am certain I can talk to Wilhelm about this. I doubt he will object. Regarding reproduction of the paintings, I happen to know a young artist in Merchant District. Vincent La Salle- he gets a lot of commissions from the nobles in Justcrown. A good fellow, he might be able to reproduce these, maybe not emulating every stroke, but close enough for the villagers to recognize them, should they ever return."

At the mention of a possible travel to The Ward.

"I would advise heavy preparation. Travelling to planes is not unheard of. Unheard is that an alternate reality would be so well guarded from visiting- That would imply a created space within a space. Something a high ranking caster would be able to do. Be careful, Xander."

Silas stops in thought and rushes to his room, returning with a letter.

"You never knew Tradik, did you? He used to travel with Tarith, Dantie, and Bishop. They went on an errand a few days before you came to the city and he never returned. A letter was sent to my school, addressed to Dantie. His name is on the envelope. I haven't bothered to read it, but when we see Dantie, remind me to show him this."

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You scale the wall with some difficulty, but manage to reach the top of the wall unseen. You watch Rosalind walking towards the main door to the palazzo. Several feet away from her, by some trees, you catch Bill, his back against the tree, looking for a way into the house.

A man in cuthbertine garb leaves the house and meets with Rosalind.

"Greetings! I assume you have come to relieve me of my post?"

"Indeed! Has there been any unusual activity?"

"None whatsoever. Here are the scrolls. Use them if you sense anything strange."

"Thank you. I hope I won't have to"

Rosalind bows to the cleric, takes the scrolls, and enters the palazzo.

4. - Top - End - #94

GreenSorcererElf

Wonder who he is. This new inquisitor, perhaps. Those scrolls could be interesting as well.

Tarith observes the cleric, trying to learn more about him.
    (spot and listen of 27, arcane sight)

He then moves up near Bill, and whispers to him
    "You know, this is a bad idea."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

The current plan calls for multiple uses of the spell wall of stone to shape an area in front of the seal into a fort that way the villagers can better defend themselves if they are ever attacked again. Dantie I believe was going to begin working on designing the fort while I was away. So the more uses of the spell we have the better. Witch brings me you my next request...as I find myself lacking the necessary spell and with out it will be unable to assist in renovations, as now that I know who will be participating I hope to have the Swans Rest fully secured within eight days, would you happen to have the spell available for me to add to my spell book?

Thank you, we must visit Vincent soon, to allow him as much time as possible to complete the reproductions.

Rest assured, when we travel to the ward I wish to ensure we are fully prepared, with more than once escape route, and preferable the ability to return there if need be.

I had heard them speak of the dwarf, he had to return to the dwarven lands did he not? I wonder what Dantie received, from him.
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: "Eight days! Amazing! That should give me ample to time to study the place. And yes, I do have that spell in my book. One does not travel without collecting as much information as possible. I didn't make out Dantie to be an engineer. I'm sure Vincent will be able to have the reproductions in a day, if we commission him early enough."

@Tarith: You notice the man walking down the path towards the gate. Cuthbertine all the way, down to the cudgel strapped to his belt. You sense some faint transmutation coming from him- expected from a cleric charged with warding a place such as this, but not extraordinarily so. The scrolls give off moderate divination and conjuration.

You deftly walk through the top wall and land silently in the courtyard, sneaking behind Bill. The raven almost lets out a scream but remembers his training and stands still turning to you and speaking in hand signs.

T! What are you doing here? I'm looking for a way to get those rings. The priest from Cuthbert has left, but now they have the Ruby Knight! You think we can take her?

7. - Top - End - #97

GreenSorcererElf

Replying in hand signs as well
    "Bill, I was coming to... borrow some items from the duke, and to ask you to steal something else. The rings are unique, and are thus traceable by magic, which is... difficult to stop, and we have no reason to believe that magic would not be employed. Still, that can be worked around, but is rather pricy. As far as Rosalind goes, well, this is a robbery, not an assault, and I have yet to meet the priest that can find a competent thief. So long as we don't screw up, we shouldn't have any issues, and even if we do, we can just run away."
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

8. - Top - End - #98

RedWizardGuy

Yes, eight days should be sufficient, given my bodies capacity, and as long as the rest of the subjects agree to such strain, I propose a eight day schedule where beginning tomorrow, as soon as you and Stephan are available. We have the first session, while recovering and the next day we can begin construction, and then hopefully we can repeat that pattern four times. As to Dantie's engineering experience, I do not know I met the man just recently, I believe he was going to look in the village for help, do you think we could contact a engineer while here, just in case? We can bring him the dimensions of the area we need defended and get his opinion, as a professionals opinion could never hurt.

Xander begins studying the spell Wall of Stone from Silas's Spell book.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft (1d20+24)[40] vs DC 20 after day of study, witch wont be a problem, since outside of the ritual tomorrow Xander can't really do anything.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-11-18 at 05:03 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Bill communicates in sign language.

Ok, you have a point. But then, what can we loot from Pottsdorff's place? I can take a window, you could, if you wish, walk right in. Security has been tight, T. They have these holy tin cans patrolling the inside very well. Ultimately, it's your call.

You manage to slip by the trees and take a peek from a safe distance into the front door. You see the grand staircase were the mask of wee jas used to rest. Now, Rosalind has taken a chair in the rest between stairs and a small table has been set up next to her. She takes out a loaf of bread and a mug. Fills it with water and begins eating.

"By Pelor! Let this be a tranquil night!", Rosalind eats while focusing her stare at the doorway.

@Xander: You copy the arcane text into your book. Another spell for your repertoire.

"Master Corry is the best mason here. A gifted architect and engineer. He could be persuaded to travel with us, for a price. The man is busy, but coin is a good negotiator."
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-11-18 at 09:53 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100

GreenSorcererElf

That is an issue. I was going to locate and hit Pottsdorff's Vault, and steal those scrolls. The Tin Can's are not much of an issue. If they can hear me over the clanking of their armor, I would be very sad. However, as far as wedding gifts for you... I am not sure. The issue here is that any item in there will probably be specifically marked, making it difficult to steal something interesting. You could probably steal gems or jewelery though. It is more the thought than anything else. I was going to go by her, borrowing the scrolls, before looking for the vault. I know roughly where it is, as I saw where the duke went to check on the contents of it. You might want to go for the upper story, and find his room. Be careful, as you dying or being caught is not a good present.

At that, Tarith activates his ring, and tries to sneak through the wall near the door, trying to get behind Rosalind, planning on stealing the scrolls

Spoiler
    Show

(50 or less causes d6 damage)
    Wall walking(1d100)[27]
    Wall walking(1d100)[36]
    Wall walking(1d100)[73]
    Wall walking(1d100)[99]
    Wall walking(1d100)[55]
    Wall walking(1d100)[67]

move silently and hide 33, taking 10, arcane sight is on, so see magical traps, take 10 on search, for a 31, spot and listen of 27.
    (yes, Taking 10 is very helpful for this sort of thing)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You begin alternating between this plane and the ethereal. As such, like the ghosts of old tales, you attempt to emulate their infamous wall phasing.

The tales weren't that accurate.

You grit your teeth as you solidify in the walls a few times, but otherwise, you're fine. You poke your head out of the wall and watch Rosalind chewing on her loaf of bread and staring at the doorway, completely unaware. She takes a gulp of her mug and resumes her position.

"Excuse me, guards? Could you please close the main door? I see no reason to leave it open now."

The guards do as requested.

"Well, now we should be a bit safer. I wonder how Dantie's doing. I'm guessing it beats guard duty."

The scrolls are strapped to her belt.

12. - Top - End - #102

GreenSorcererElf

Well now, time for stage one.

Tarith picks Rosalind's Pocket, intending on removing the scrolls without her noticing. He also sees what else he can steal, such as coin purses, or other miscellaneous good stuff.

Spoiler
    Show

Seeing as there is no threat, and no rush, taking 10 on everything still, so Rosalind needs to make a spot check DC 25 to notice the thefts.
    (they happen regardless, but she notices if she makes the check)
    25 sleight of hand, 33 stealth.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

13. - Top - End - #103

RedWizardGuy

Excellent, We will need to speak with him, and learn his fee. We will also need to speak Dantie to learn what he and the village have drafted so far.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-11-18 at 10:36 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Your blinking hand reaches for Rosalind's belt, attempting to snatch those scrolls- and hopefully any coins she might have in her pouch.

Rosalind may look better suited for the field, but she is no rogue. You deftly slip your ghostly hands into her pouch and retrieve the items.

Rosalind let's out a sigh.

"This place is clear. Might as well go check on his grace and see he's alright."

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-11-18 at 10:43 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

GreenSorcererElf

Well, that went smoothly. Now on to stage 2: exploration.

Tarith heads towards the library, intending on seeing what the Duke has done with the secret area near there, as well as finding any valuable books, or other hidden items there. He is also keeping an eye out for other random valuables along the way, such as mirrors, silverware, that sort of thing.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking 10 still, so
    33 stealth,
    27 spot/listen
    31 search

If you want other skills, just ask.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

16. - Top - End - #106
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: "Capital idea, old friend! Let's hope he isn't too expensive. The man has become a sort of celebrity home builder in Justcrown. He designed most of the houses in the upper district."

A knock is heard on the door.

Silas opens to a lanky late twenties gentleman. He wears a light blue robe and a black bowl cut. The man holds a staff in his hand and bows.

"Mentor."

"Oh, please, Stephan! You are a graduate! We are, as far as titles are concerned, colleagues. This is Master Xander Corillian, whom I told you about. Xander, this si Stephan Mc Dowen, diviner."

"A pleasure to meet you sir. I came to return the books on famous planar locales. Sadly, it's a dud, sir. Nothing related to The Ward."

Silas pats the young diviner in the back and gestures for him to come in.

"No need to worry on that for now. Master Corillian is about to conduct a very special ritual in the heart of the Fey Woods. Interested? Be warned, it's not for the faint of heart, but you should be safe- as in, not dead. A fair warning."

Stephan blinks twice as Silas explains the situation.

"Uhhh well...yes?"

"Excellent! We leave tomorrow, right Xander?"

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Dantie awakens the next morning well before dawn and goes to Arralle's temple. Once their he knocks on her door, or what is left of it. Arralle would you like to join me for morning mass? It is about an hour away still but I thought I would ask the villagers as well as you. So that everyone could be in high spirits. Dantie says Either way through prayer I gain my spells so I will have to pray. Dantie says kindly offering the olive branch to her.

18. - Top - End - #108

RedWizardGuy

Thank you for your aid in this matter Master Mc Dowen, Silas is correct, I plan on beginning the ritual tomorrow, I have a few errands I need to run early in the day, but once I am finished, and you and Silas's business for the day is concluded we will depart. I would suggest preparing as many spells as you can relating to the manipulation of inanimate objects such as stone, as part of out task over the next few days is to raise a fortification of stone created primary out of magic, and the manipulation of the existing stone.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: Arrallae greets you with a bow.

"A mass? I have never attended one. Maybe I did, but I would not remember. I'm sure it would help the villagers after what happened yesterday."

Arrallae pauses and looks straight at you.

"You are an honest man, Dantie. So I expect that without having to resort to magic. Tell me...am I a threat to the people here? I need to know."

@Xander: "Of course, Master Corillian! I may will focus all my studies tomorrow into that spell. You can count on me. This is exciting! I never thought I'd get to see a place like that. I only heard passing rumors by the pilgrims over the last few months. I believe Master Silas will agree with me that much research must be conducted!"
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-11-18 at 11:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Then it is settled Shall we go house to house then and let them know to come to the temple together to so our strength and determination to not allow the evils of the world stop us. As Dantie starts to go though he senses something is wrong with Arralle and turns to look at her. Sure enough the question is let out in the air and he has to think for a long time. When he finally answers though he is sure of his words and says them with full conviction. What do you think Arralle? Do you think you are a danger to the villagers? In all these years how many times have you caused anyone harm? It is not a question to ask another, it is one you must look deep inside yourself to find. Dantie says with a kind smile as he places his hand on her shoulder. But if you want my opinion, no as long as you do not try to do a seance ever again then I do not believe you will ever be a threat to these people. When you turned I could tell it was not you. Though I am not sure exactly how, I know this much, Someone or something shares your soul with you. And I have a few pages of holy text pointing out that you just may be the person I believe you to be. Though never as I expected it or any other priest for that matter I am sure. Dantie said holding his hand out to her. Let us go now and lift up your peoples spirits. It shall be a long few days ahead of us, and it would be a shame to have them all worried. I am sure Xander will be back soon after the mass is done. After all my clergy never misses mass for nothing. Dantie says with a laugh trying to lighten the mood.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You follow Rosalind, who acts as a shield for you as you pocket items as she passes. Items snatched:

Spoiler
    Show
    - Golden mirror with a a griffon's face on top

- Trading Routes in the Giantshield Mountains - a Tale of Terror, by Howard M. Tavington

- 3 lovely brass candle holders with nude cherubs clinging to them playfully.

- A silhouette ink blot of the duke's profile, framed in gold

Rosalind stops at the duke's door and peers inside. You hear loud snoring.

"Sleeps.., well, not like a baby. But at least he's safe." Rosalind returns to her post.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: Arrallae laughs and walks with you from door to door, inviting everyone to leave their duties for awhile and attend mass. The villagers seem puzzled. They haven't attended mass in centuries. Those born inside have never even heard of one. Yet the presence of their goddess invites them to walk in crows to the temple.

Once inside. Arrallae causes the garden to refit, forming natural pews for the villagers to sit. Some are crowded at the door. Arrallae and Jacob take the front row.

"Whenever you're ready, father." Arrallae smiles.

23. - Top - End - #113

GreenSorcererElf

Well, that makes things easier. At least the door isn't locked
    Tarith heads into the dukes room, checking for Traps as he goes, before searching the room.

Spoiler
    Show

As usual, taking 10 on everything
    so 33 stealth, 27 perception, 25 sleight of hand, 31 search.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

The room is large. the bed is made of pure mahogany and an intricate piece of art unto itself, having the battle of Hommlet carved into the bed frame. It was told the bed was brought all the way from Celadon forest, piece by piece. The duke takes up most of the bed, with fine silk sheets in emerald color. A ceramic basin filed with water sits on top of a black pedestal against a wall, with an ornate mirror. across the room, by a large window a tall armoire with a griffon motif stands against the moonlight.

You notice that there is a loose panel on the wall opposite the bed. A gentle push and you realize it opens to an adjacent room, connected by a hidden passage. The door to the other room is closed, but you can see light coming from it. Also, magic- abjuration, moderate too.

25. - Top - End - #115

GreenSorcererElf

Well, I wish I had a way to make these items smaller. Would be an amusing trick, to have the duke wake up in a bare room, despite all of the guards.

Tarith investigates the various objects in the room, before checking the Armorie for traps, and opening it.

Spoiler
    Show

Yea, might as well finish with the Duke's room before proceeding. Probably should have gotten a wand of shrink item though.
    Appraise on the basin:21
    Mirror: 21(Also want an idea of the weight)
    Search: 31
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

As everyone is finally gathered together and the temple is arranged to seat guests Dantie pulls out one of his holy texts and bears his holy symbol so all can see. When Arrallae gives him the ok he looks to the crowd ans with a smile says. I may not know all of you, and I'm sure some of you are even curious why you are here. Two members of my church are going to be coming here to live among you and hopefully one day become one of you. Dantie then holds his hands out towards Arrallae and says In the age of myth long ago a child was born. So kind was this child and innocent that she even got the attention of the god of Magic, Bobboc. Some say he granted her the divine spark, but those of my faith believe he only awakened and empowered what she had already had deep within herself. As the child grew so did her fame, but not once was she changed by this. Whether beggar or king she would help either if she could. On one of these such days she was approached by a priest of The shining one, who gifts all of us with his light that keeps the shadows at bay... and so Dantie went on and told the story of the morning star. When he was finished he looked up, and just as he expected the sun was directly behind her, making her halo around her head seem to glow all the more bright. Though many may say I am wrong in my belief and say that the morning star now resides in the plane of positive energy at Pelors side I say she is here in this very place. Arrallae, this is your story as I know it. Dantie says looking down on her with a kind smile, then he looks back up, taking in each persons eyes as he does so. AND NO EVIL HAS EVER ESCAPED HER, NOR HAS ANY EVER BESTED HER DIVINE GIVEN POWER! LET ALL WHO WORSHIP EVIL'S MIGHT FEAR HER POWER, THE MORNING STASRS LIGHT. Dantie screams the last part out while raising his holy symbol up into the air and bathing Arrallae in divine sunlight.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: You check the weight of the basin and the mirror, suddenly, you hear it

"Oh Siren...tee here hheeee....you adorable little flower"

The duke is apparently having a dream, what the nature is, you'd rather not know.

Appraising the basin and mirror-

Spoiler
    Show
    Mirror - weight 10lbs. would fetch a solid 100 gp

Basin - 2lbs, very light and brittle, due to its ceramic make-up. It should fetch about 50 gp.

You walk towards the armoire and open it silently. The duke has a row of capes, tights, and boots. Fine thread work. Some have jewels embedded into them. You also find a wig- the one used at the ball. A quick turn reveals Pottsdorff to have as much hair on his head as a goblin during mating season.

Spoiler
    Show
    Price range for all items in the armoire - 5000 gp.

28. - Top - End - #118

GreenSorcererElf

Looks like the duke has forgotten what Nerine tried to do here. I suppose the man can dream though.

Tarith quietly places the mirror, basin, and the contents of the Armorie into Dantie's bag of holding, before verifying that there are no further hidden compartments in the Dukes Armorie, at which point he returns his attention to the hidden chamber, carefully checking for Traps and Alarms as he goes into the chamber, opening the door.

Spoiler
    Show

33 stealth
    27 perception
    31 search
    33 disable device
    25 open lock(35 if needed)(can take 20)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

@Dantie: Your oratory at the pulpit is grand, one to make Pelor proud. Arrallae seems to confirm your sermon as her halo shines ever brightly. The villagers kneel in one knee and pray silently. Arrallae goes quiet and looks down at the ground. She seems saddened, then turns her gaze at you and smiles. Jacob gives an approving nod at you.

After mass Arrallae approaches you.

"Thank you, Dantie. You have certainly filled the villagers with faith. I have much to learn from you. The power of belief truly outweighs that of magic. As long as one is true to what they hold dear, no one can take it away."

Arrallae looks at the villagers returning to their labor rebuilding.

"I look forward to meeting your fellow priests. Maybe I can become one?"

@Tarith: You open the door. No traps. Also... jackpot.

The room is littered with chalices, busts, coffers, old paintings of the royal family. The duke's armor lies here as well, perched on a wooden dummy.

There is someone else in here as well.

You have read about these beings in texts whenever you raided temples. This one is the size of a man, with coppery skin, braids and a pair of large feathery wings. He holds a mace in his left hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+23)[37]

"You! What are you doing in this vault? Leave at once!"
    Last edited by AlanBruce; 2012-11-19 at 12:15 AM.

30. - Top - End - #120

GreenSorcererElf

"The duke asked me to move his goods to a more secure location. I figured that, since I am free now, I might as well move them, and that there was little point in waking him up for this."

(1d20+22)[34] Bluff

Tarith activates his ring, hoping to keep his opponent from noticing(somehow)
    (1d20+15)[16] sleight of hand

Also
    move silently(1d20+23)[32](for the duke)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss