New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shadows of the Past 3

@Tarith: Wilhelm shuts his eyes and focuses for a few seconds. Minutes pass and you hear a flapping of wings above the chapel. Out in the courtyard, a heavenly light glows and Cassiel lands in all his celestial glory. At the same time, a group of pelorites walk into the temple, along with cuthbertines.

"So, it would seem the defiler has decided to atone for his deeds?" Cassiel walks inside, mace held tight in his hands.

"Lord Cassiel, we have who we believe to be the culprit. We are going to the Cuthbertine Fortress and assess the situation. Tarith, do you have anyone who would speak in your name. Anyone who can state where you were last night?"

2. - Top - End - #212
    Colossus in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

As the angel walks in, accusation on his face, Tarith bows before him
    "Nice to meet you, Cassiel. Hopefully, we can get this cleared up quickly, and without you trying to kill me again."

At Wilhelm's question

"Unfortunately not. I was out getting a wedding gift for Cecile, a friend of mine, and since I wanted that gift to be a surprise, I did not go with anyone. This is what makes a frame job a non-trivial problem for me."
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-19 at 07:15 PM.
    Spoiler: Current Character List:
    Show

John Smith, Playing in the Dollhouse
    Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    Grok Magmaforge, Iron Crisis
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Wilhelm acquiesces your point.

"We will resolve all these issues at the Room of Law. Shall we go? I really would like to see this matter resolved as quickly as possible."

4. - Top - End - #214

GreenSorcererElf

Then we should get moving. Lead the way.

Tarith follows behind the priest, and the Angel, and the fanatical followers of Pelor follow him. From their attitude, Tarith realizes that they feel that this is a mere formality to an execution.

They seem rather convinced that this is a hopeless cause for me. If I am going to pull this off, I need to be able to lie, and that may or may not be possible here. If I can't lie, I will either need to be very fast, or very careful about my answers. Either way, this will be interesting.
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-19 at 10:31 PM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Jerag enters the establishment hopes high that some form of local delicacy would be available for order. Those were dashed as he watched several patrons slop through the yellowish porridge, wrinkling his face subconsciously while he let down his hood and untucked his shawl. He had no need to wear the shawl, but it was a habit hard to break.

His crystal sharp blue eyes scanned the room and widened as the stranger spoke to him, turning he gazed at the elven looking women as she spoke, wandering if she was here for him, or merely speaking riddles as some strangers do.

His left hand rested comfortably upon the hilts of his daisho, a stance he assumes almost instinctively when standing. He liked to feel the weapons near, and having them close to hand was comforting.

Raising an eyebrow, he quickly thought of several reasons why this lady was talking to him, the only logical conclusion he could come up with: she was expecting him.

Smiling "is it that obvious?" he said "I was hoping to taste some local flavor," looking back to the bowls of porridge "But I may have bitten off more than I can chew." looking at her garb he continues "If I may be so bold, you don't look like you belong among these fine patrons, you have a certain...quality about you."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20+17)[31]
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

6. - Top - End - #216
    Titan in the Playground

As Tarith teleports into the room with all the attitude of a teenager Dantie sees the calm that he is putting on, he has seen it almost all the kids life. He also sees sweat though running down his face as if he had been running trying to get away and what looked like annoyance. Odd mix of emotions to say the least, but to Dantie they were telltale signs that Tarith had not done the crime he had been charged with. As Lord Cassiel walks into the room Dantie bows to the celestial being before saying. Farther, who will be preparing the circle? If it was Mother Matilda or yourself I would not ask for this, but as Mother Matilda is in the crudgels halls that only leaves you. Which though I do not doubt your wisdom nor your strength, but if you would allow me to cast the circle alongside of you so that their are two layers instead of one I believe this may go much quicker. Dantie says as he walks to the church next door.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy (1d20+23)[30]

7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Xander keeps quite while observing the preceding, still not entirely sure what to make of it all.
    hmm..they have a rather compelling case, I wonder if Tarith is guilty of these crimes or not, either way he is going to be needed if we wish to succeed in foiling what ever this organization's plans are....also I require his aid for the ritual...

Xander leans near Silas while following Tarith and the others to the Room of Law. While Whispering.
    They have a rather compelling case. What do you think will be his penalty if found guilty?
    Characters currently playing

Spoiler
    Show

Shadows of the Past Xander Corillian Xander Sorcerer spells
    Shadows of Death Draken Korvick

8. - Top - End - #218
    Titan in the Playground

@Jerag: The masked elf turned her head sideways, showing some amusement.

"I have sampled many foods in my lifetime, but the Pale Inn isn't exactly a delicacy. I hope I have not disturbed you. Are you a merchant? By your attire, I would guess you come from Al'Ak'Barr, the Jade Citadel. Then again, I may be wrong. But where are my manners! I am Myriam. And yes, you would be correct. I do not belong in this place. I am from further to west. Have you come to Hammerbruk to trade? The merchants here may have some interesting items for sale. If you have the coin, of course."

Myriam steps back a few feet and looks at the Mountain.

"If you'll excuse me. I believe I have taken enough of your time. Talk to Gerard. He will probably have a room for you. Few stay here for long anyway."

@Dantie: "I was going to suggest you defend him, seeing how you have traveled with him for so long, but if you wish to assist in the Room of Law, I see no reason why you should not, Dantie."

Wilhelm stops before the Portcullis to the Cuthbertine fort.

"I trust you really know him, Dantie. He has a lot going against him."

@Tarith: You are led outside the Pelorite Chapel and walk a few blocks down Temple District. The crowd is not a happy one. A few tomatoes and eggs are hurled your way, but you manage to dodge them with a swift move.

Angel Slayer!

Assassin!

Thief!

These words and worse are uttered by the crowd as you solemnly walk towards the Temple.

Once inside, you are led to an underground room. The area is large and circular. The symbol of St. Cuthbert has been drawn on the ground, encompassing the entire room. Stairs are lined left and right, ascending to pulpits were the jurors and judge may preside.

"Tarith, Rosalind, Sir Cassiel. Please stand in the circle. We will call the duke to testify. Since he was present as well. Tarith, if you wish someone to defend you, please state so now."

Everybody else ascends the stairs and takes their place.

"Silas, please make sure nobody in the circle is using any magic that may sway the trial unto someone's favor. I know Lord Cassiel has certain effects ever present due to his nature, but these should in no way alter his words or twist the truth. We need to make sure Rosalind, Tarith, and the duke are not under any such effect."

@Xander: As you walk into the Cuthbertine fortress.

"If Tarith is indeed innocent, he walks away free. If, however, he is guilty..."

Silas' face goes grim.

"You may have to find another participant for the ritual."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Jerag is slightly amused as she feigns disinterest and pretends to think him a merchant, he knew damn well he didn't look like a merchant.

"Well met Myriam, I am Jerag Khan, Knight of Heironeous and Lore keeper of the ancient Suloise Arcanamachs, it is both an honor and a treat to have met you." he does a small bow, with a big grin on his face. "I am neither a merchant or a buyer of goods, I have come here on the behest of a friend to my fathers, you may know of him, a Cornelius Brunhausser? I was to meet him here," he looks around the room for anyone that may be Cornelius, he sighs and looks back to Myriam "Well I shan't keep you, I believe a room is in order."

If Myriam stays and talks he will listen and continue to stand, but if she leaves he will go over to the bartender and ask if a room was reserved by Cornelius.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

10. - Top - End - #220
    Titan in the Playground

@Jerag: Myriam assesses your words through her wooden mask.

"Shall we go in?"

You walk inside the inn and approach the bar. Gerard, the inn keeper, drinks his ale slowly as he turns his scrawny neck towards both of you.

"Good...morning, I believe. You fine travelers need a room? I have a few spare, if you'd like. A silver a night, plus a square meal."

"I'm fine, Gerard, thank you." says Myriam through her mask.

She turns to you.

"Cornelius Brunhausser? I do not know the man, but I do know the name. I am looking for two Brunhaussers. Sisters, in fact. I was expecting someone to arrive shortly and aid me in the search. He hasn't shown up yet. You know them?"

Before you have a chance to answer, you hear a scream coming from a corner of the inn. One of the merchants drops his porridge as a cockroach scampers out of the bowl, covered in oats. You hear a faint buzzing and a fly lands on your gauntlet. Before long, the inn begins to lose its color, adopting grey, pallid hues. The fireplace burns out, as a cold draft comes in.

"If you'll excuse me, Jerag. I need to check something upstairs."

Myriam leaves promptly as the the patrons recoil in disgust as their drinks and food turn brackish. You notice vermin eating at the wooden structures that make the Pale Inn. Gerard, the Innkeeper, begins shuddering as sweat drops down his brow and tears form in his eyes. Light foot steps are heard coming into the inn. Then, you see him.

At first glance, he appears as young as fifteen winters. The boy wears a rusted breastplate, cracked and grey. A torn and ragged black cloak flows behind him. His hair is spiky and black. His features are gaunt and very pale, yet there appears to be a very calm demeanor about him. His eyes, though- a light grey, mirroring a billowing ether. You feel a tremendous presence irradiating from this youth. Something isn't right. Due to his appearance, you could classify him as a warrior, but a weak one at that. You watch your breath solidify as he takes a seat a few feet away from you.

"Hello, Gerard. The usual, please."

Gerard is shaking as his hand reaches out for a mug. His shaking is such, that the mug falls at his feet shattering into several pieces. The innkeeper is positively on the verge of tears at the sight.

"Aren't you clumsy, Gerard. A clumsy scrawny mule. Never mind, then."

You notice the other patrons have remained still and silent, looking down at their spoiled meals and drinks. The boy turns towards you.

"Welcome to Hammerbruk. I see these gentlemen often, but someone like you..."

He smiles kindly as he sizes you up from his stool.

"Well. We don't get that many guests here. Enjoy Hammerbruk. And, gerard? Do be more careful next time, ok?"

The boy leaves the Pale Inn and the vermin scatter away into the woodwork.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Jerag watches the whole scene unravel before him in silence, he knew something was strange about the boy, but couldn't put his finger on what.

After the boy left he turned to the barkeep.

"What in the nine hell's was that about? And were did Myriam go off to?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

12. - Top - End - #222
    Titan in the Playground

@Jerag: Gerard takes a few moments to compose himself.

"That sir, was Palindurias. The Lord of Hammerbruk and Reaper of Jottun's Foot. Do take my word, sire. Leave. Leave now! If Palindurias were to take an interest in you, you would not last a day here.! As for your companion, that is odd. She didn't have a room checked here."

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Jerag mentally makes a note to leave that boy alone and moves up stairs with some speed looking for the mysterious lady. Perhaps there was a room up there for him and cornelius was there?
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

14. - Top - End - #224

RedWizardGuy

That is grim news indeed, excuse me I need to speak with Dantie a moment.

Xander moves away from Silas, and near Dantie, In hushed tones.

Dantie, surly this is some mistake, you know Tarith best, do you believe him capable of such atrocities? Silas beleives there will be a grim outcome if he is found guilty.
    Last edited by NathanB1486; 2012-11-20 at 09:28 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #225
    Titan in the Playground

As Xander asks him the question he most feared Dantie looked at him and said, Tarith is no fool, but if he thinks he has been cheated he has been known to get even. So trying to steal from the duke would not surprise me, but trying to kill Lord Cassiel I am not sure. After all animals will do anything when backed into a corner. Dantie says to him not sure.

I will defend him if he asks me two, but if he does not then I shall not get involved. Tarith would you like me to defend you in this matter? Dantie says asking him before saying, Tarith where is my bag of holding that I got from the church? Dantie asks not seeing it anywhere.
    Last edited by dantiesilva; 2012-11-20 at 09:29 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226

RedWizardGuy

And what if they find him guilty? Will they call for a execution of some sorts? We must seek to avoid such a outcome.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #227
    Titan in the Playground

@Jerag: You rush upstairs, ignoring Gerard's warning. Upon reaching the second floor, you see no one. You do find three doors on each side of the hallways and an open window, however, but not much else.

@The Party: You are invited to sit in the upper level of the Room of Law. An aged cuthbertine with a thick grey mustache and a crew cut sits at the center, with Wilhelm sitting to his right.

A knock is heard on the door and the head inquisitor orders the person in. You watch duke Pottsdorff wearing a servant's outfit and his walking stick.

"I must apologize, Inquisitor Connor, but since I had my entire armoire robbed, It will be some time before I can buy myself new clothes. I also took the time to make a list of everything that is missing since last night."

He looks at Tarith as he mentions the lack of clothes available and the stolen armoire.

"That is fine, your grace. We are not here to judge your choice of dress style. We are here to determine the truth. And, once gathered, apply necessary justice. Please stand in the circle next to Tarith, Rosalind, and sir Cassiel."

Inquisitor Connor addresses Silas. "You may proceed."

Silas sighs deeply and approaches the four in the circle below.

"I will now verify if any of you is currently under any kind of spell, regardless of its nature. If anyone has a spell that would allow them to alter the truth, I will know, and report it to the Inquisitor above us. I hope you understand what I just mentioned. I will begin with Lord Cassiel, followed by Rosalind, Tarith, and Archibald- the duke. Please bear with me as this might take awhile.

18. - Top - End - #228

GreenSorcererElf

As Tarith is lead into the room, He looks around, amazed at the fanciness of this place.
    "So... What is that symbol on the floor? I am afraid that I am not very good with religious icon recognition."

When they ask him if he wants anyone to defend him
    "What would be the point? I seem to be the only one convinced of my innocence, which seems to me that qualifies me to be the best defense that I can muster. Dantie might be willing to, but it would hardly be fair to expect him to oppose the will of an Angel, even a violent one."

At the mention of magic detection

"Of course. All I want is the truth, and not to be executed for something that I did not do. However, I do question the fairness of this trial, seeing as Cassiel, Rosalind, and Connor are all already convinced I did something, and I don't even know what it was. If I assaulted the Church of Pelor, why is the duke here? And what happened to his cloths? Also, I would be able to suppress the effects the Angel is maintaining for a time, if you wish, to ensure that there is balance."

(1d20+52)[59] bluff: want the truth
    (1d20+52)[59] bluff: no knowledge of the crime

Also, to Silas, using bluff to convey a secret message

"Seeing as they all seem to want to execute someone, anyone that they think is vaguely guilty, and I don't really want to be executed, I have a little... fortification, so that my words hold a little more weight. It should help the truth be revealed, nothing more. Just tell them about the disguise self effect, and not the glibness effect."

bluff: Convey the secret message(1d20+52)[61]
    bluff: Don't tell anyone about glibness(1d20+52)[53]
    bluff: How Silas should not mention the whole truth(1d20+52)[63]
    (since I suspect that his bluff score is rather... low.)

After his statements, Tarith assumes a confident pose, trying to conceal his nervousness, in an effort to convince the others that he has nothing to fear.

As they explain the charges to him(Or as Silas scans those before him), Tarith will use the time to take 20 on bluff, to present a false alignment(CG)
    Last edited by Archmage1; 2012-11-20 at 11:48 AM.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Silas looks at all four of you.

"Would you mind giving each other at least a 10ft. space between each other? It will make it easier."

Silas walks up to the angel. He shuts his eyes and stretches his hand towards him, focusing for a few minutes. He then addresses Inquisitor Connor.

"Lord Cassiel has a magical armor. Its properties are defense, only. His mace is magical, I would assume to help him fight his enemies better. He does have a circle of power around, which I am sure you must know what it does..."

"It helps me fight evil, wizard. It also repels incantations of low power." Interrupts Cassiel.

"...he also has a transmutation on him...Owl's Wisdom."

Wilhelm explains.

"I used some of my power to deter the unliving and allowed Lord Cassiel to get an effect that would last all day, in order for him to find the culprit. If the spell is deemed as truth altering, I will gladly remove it."

Inquisitor Connor ponders on this. "I have used that spell myself to question people in this room who would attempt to curl the truth. It is not truth altering."

Silas moves on to Rosalind and repeats the process.

"She does not have any magical spells on her."

Silas then stands before you and focuses his hand and attention in your direction.

20. - Top - End - #230

GreenSorcererElf

"In the interest of fairness then, Perhaps I should have a similar effect cast on me as well."

(hopefully, have finished the taking 20 with bluff)
    (And yes, if Silas is going to reveal Glibness, Tarith will interrupt.)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

21. - Top - End - #231

GreenSorcererElf

"Please Silas, it is the only thing that I have that can stop them from declaring me guilty, regardless of the truth. Remember, don't lie directly, just neglect to mention it."

(1d20+52)[70] bluff
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: Cassiel looks up to you.

"Fairness? You walked into the vault I was charged to protect by Father Wilhelm. Came in as a ghost, phasing in and out. You attacked me after I gave a warning to leave, teleporting into my presence and stabbing me with those daggers. Now you walk in and sheepishly attempt to talk your way out. Your honor, I will put down my weapons if he were to do the same, along with his equipment, is that not fair?"

Silas scans you as Cassiel speaks. He looks at you with fright. Teleporting into range? Phasing in and out? Silas turns to Inquisitor Connor.

"...He has a transmutation effect. Commonly used by bards. Glibness."

The Inquisitor looks at you.

"A spell used by thieves to conceal the truth, yes? This trial is already boding ill for you, Mr. Spellbane. And at Cassiel's request, both of you remove your weapons and items. I did not expect this to come to that, but it seems the most likely way to ensure a safe trial. In the meantime, remove your effect or we will have it removed for you."

23. - Top - End - #233

GreenSorcererElf

"So spells that you like, and that benefit you are acceptable, but a spell that I could use to convince the angel that wants me dead, and the recently re-selected inquisitor that wants proof of his power and dedication is banned? This is no court. This is a mockery of the law. Glibness prevents truth-detecting magic, true, but since I have no intention of being questioned on my past, and answering accurately, it seemed to be a prudent defense on my part. Either this is a court of law, and thus, just, or this is a just an attempt to sentence an innocent man to death. If the former, then either everyone should have the same effects, or no-one should have any effects. If the latter, then what is the point of me being here?"

(1d20+52)[53](persuading them that all glibness does is prevent truth detecting magic)
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

@Xander: You have Dantie seated to your left. An empty chair to your right is where Silas sits, as he returns. He whispers to you.

"I had to reveal the Glibness, because of the truth spell, but what the angel has said is true. He mentioned his power stolen? Check. He mentioned the phasing in and out? Tarith bought from me the only item that makes you ethereal for brief seconds. The only ring with that property in the city- mine. Teleported instantly and stabbed the angel without chance of reprisal? Tarith bought an anklet of translocation from me as well."

25. - Top - End - #235

RedWizardGuy

Xander demeanor grows somber.
    Oh...that is dreadful...either someone has done a excellent job of framing Tarith, or...he must have done it...I truly hope he has a good explanation for all of this...

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Titan in the Playground

@Tarith: "Well, Mr. Spellbane? Will you remove your tongue twisting spell or will I have to strip it from you?" Inquisitor Connor looks down on your from his chair.

Cassiel steps forward. "Your honor, if I may ask to be placed close to this man? I won't smite him. Unless the verdict says otherwise, but I believe I can suppress his spell if he does not wish to do so himself. As for my items of power. If they will endanger this trial, I will gladly remove them. Yet I ask that everyone standing on this circle do the same."

Inquisitor Connor looks at Rosalind.

"please switch places with Lord Cassiel. Tarith Spellbane, move closer to him. And everyone remove your items and hand them to the soldiers when ready. At that point, we will begin the trial officially."

27. - Top - End - #237

GreenSorcererElf

"If my spell is to be suppressed, then yours should be as well. However, I am willing to remove my items, if needed. However, I would like to keep my ring, as the magic takes a week to resume working if it is removed."

Tarith removes his items, with the exception of the ring of sustenance.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

28. - Top - End - #238
    Titan in the Playground

@The Party: A few minutes go by and you watch Cassiel remove his breastplate and hand it over to a cuthbertine, as well as his mace. Rosalind removes her armor and weapon and hands it over to another priest, leaving her in a white long sleeve shirt, khaki pants and plain brown boots.

"I have no other clothes than the ones I wear." Pottsdorff addresses the Inquisitor.

"That is true, your honor. He's clean." Silas comments from his seat.

@Tarith: You remove your items and hand them to the priest, who walks away with them.

Cassiel stands arms crossed as he looks at you, then up towards the judges chair.

"All items, Mr. Spellbane. You have been identified as using lie-inducing spells. If you are innocent- as you have claimed so boldly before Silas identified your Glibness- then removing the ring should pose no problem at all."

@Xander: You watch the three priests leave with the items and exit the Room of Law. Silas nudges you and whispers.

"See there? The anklets and the ring! I sold those to Tarith."

29. - Top - End - #239

GreenSorcererElf

"So far as I know, there are no lie inducing spells. There are truth-inducing ones, but there are none to force someone to lie. Removing that ring is pointless, as it allows me to not need food, nothing more, but the magic takes some time to come into effect, and I would rather not take the risk."

Tarith has not removed the ring of sustenance.
    Show

Adam of Cyre, Cyre Red
    ALADIN, Out of the Abyss

30. - Top - End - #240

RedWizardGuy

To Silas.
    Yes, I see them, in the time I have known Tarith, he has made no attempts to hide the use of those items, and uses both very regularly, it defiantly causes great suspicion, however if it were a elaborate job of framing him, those items could be easily reproduced.

At hearing Tarith response Xander speaks up.
    He tells the truth regarding his ring, as I wear one myself, if it does turn out Tarith is innocent then extending any potential inconveniences such as having to await the ring to again properly sustain him seems unnecessary.

Spoiler
    Show
    busy at work right now, on break, haven't looked at the angel much, but from first glance that aura is rather powerful.

Spoiler
    Show