New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Storm of Rage

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Storm of Rage

The bloodstorm blade's thunderous throw ability just oozes exploit-ability, so I know I'm not really breaking new ground with this - but I do want to know if this would work.

The basic build would be something like orc or half-orc whirling frenzy spirit lion barbarian 1 fighter 2 warblade 2 bloodstorm blade 2. This will probably have to be adjusted somewhat, as I haven't actually counted all the feats it would need.

critical feats: power attack, point blank shot, headlong rush, rapid shot, quick draw

other really good ones to have: extra rage, improved trip

so....move 10 ft to count as a charge, then unleash a minimum of 4 throws, each counting as a melee attack and doing double damage. The best part is cause you're ranged headlong rushes drawback doesn't even matter. Charging means you still get the +2 bonus to attacks, offsetting the rapid shot penalties. THW means full use of power attack.

For added fun get the improved trip feat and throw a trip weapon like a guisarme (and you get to throw polearms! how cool is that?!!). Improved Trip's extra attack can be taken with another throw (this style should probably use guisarmes and a smaller secondary weapons to use for the bonus attack, just so you don't have to carry around 20 guisarmes).

Quick damage calculations:
    For this example our character will throw greatclubs, 'cause that's hilarious. I'll also throw in another level of BSB, just to bring up the level to 8.

str 28 - yay for orcs and whirling frenzy
    base attack +8 +3
    m greatclub(s): 8 (bab) + 9 (str) + 1 (masterwork) + 1 (point blank shot) + 2 (charge) - 4 (rapid shot and whirling frenzy) = +17 +17 +17 +12

throw in a 3 point power attack usage for a total of +14 +14 +14 +9

each hit does 2d10 + 27 (str) +12 (PA) + 2 (PBS), for an average of 52

if they all hit that's 208 damage. Not bad for level 8 and ranged.

I'm sure this build can be improved upon.....assuming it's legal.
    Last edited by limejuicepowder; 2012-11-18 at 01:43 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: Storm of Rage

Quote Originally Posted by limejuicepowder View Post
    I'm sure this build can be improved upon.....assuming it's legal.
    Of course it can: dip commoner to take chicken infested.

Quick-draw chickens instead of melee weapons. I think you can fill in the rest.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenides View Post
    Of course it can: dip commoner to take chicken infested.

Quick-draw chickens instead of melee weapons. I think you can fill in the rest.
    That's not exactly what I had in mind, though drawing a chicken as a free action could perhaps be considered an epic performance, earning a couple gold pieces a day on a street corner.

Anyone have an opinion on the legality of this build?

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Movement During a Charge
    You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.
    Emphasis mine.

While I've never claimed to be an expert interpreter of D&D rules text, my reading of this section on Charging seems to imply that not only do you need an opponent to charge towards, and meet the requirements for being able to charge, but that you must actually reach them.

Voluntarily stopping your charge after 10ft seems to be a no-go, although I would say that once you reach your opponent you'd be able to throw your Greatclubs with impunity, although you wouldn't be able to avoid the drawbacks of Headlong Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    Forgive me for being ignorant, but how would 15/adamantine protect the dragon from hitting the ground at over 4,4 billion newtons?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by limejuicepowder View Post
    spirit lion barbarian
    Bear Spirit Totem instead. Ask yourself how Improved Grab would work with BSB.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Don't ask what Improved Grab can do for you. Instead ask what you can do for Throw Ally.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Combo it with Hulking Hurler and throw the moon while you are at it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eggs View Post
    I thought we were arguing whether Magic Missile could crank out Riemann sums...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Ladybug View Post
    Emphasis mine.

While I've never claimed to be an expert interpreter of D&D rules text, my reading of this section on Charging seems to imply that not only do you need an opponent to charge towards, and meet the requirements for being able to charge, but that you must actually reach them.

Voluntarily stopping your charge after 10ft seems to be a no-go, although I would say that once you reach your opponent you'd be able to throw your Greatclubs with impunity, although you wouldn't be able to avoid the drawbacks of Headlong Rush.
    My interpretation of that is that you would have to charge directly at the opponent for 10 ft, so no skirmishing from the edges of the battle, but I don't see a clause anywhere saying that you must contact, only that you would have to make a melee attack, which would normally require you to be adjacent, but thunderous throw takes care of that nicely.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like one, that on a lonesome road
    Doth walk in fear and dread,
    And having once turned round walks on,
    And turns no more his head;
    Because he knows, a frightful fiend
    Doth close behind him tread.
    The Rime of the Ancient Mariner -- Samuel Coleridge Taylor

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Since the attacks all count as melee attacks, it's not clear to me whether point blank shot and rapid shot would actually apply.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #10

NinjaGuy

I am curious myself how others rule on Thunderous Throw and Charge attacks. Can you Charge then throw your weapon and then get the Charge bonuses without being right up on top of the target?