Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name the Cleric

1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Name the Cleric

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    Sigh...*facepalm*

Look, the ENTIRE POINT of this character was that he was unnamed! He could have very easily died. In fact, in most stories characters like this die the moment that they fulfil their plot purpose - in this case, contacting Durkon and uncursing Belkar. He had no reason to be in the story after that and could have been rubbed out (in hilarious fashion) by any of the Thieves' Guild members. Belkar would have survived regardless, he was higher level than all of them and had plot armor to boot. But a minor character who only appeared in three strips, and didn't even have a name? Ha! Dead.

Only, it didn't happen - him & Belkar made it to the door, which I thought was a wonderful twist and subversion of the same tired old storytelling. He even offered Belkar a job, which Belkar actually considered for a few moments. So totally awesome, and so dependent on the fact that he didn't have a name.
    Actually, I think Finagle makes a good point. He's certainly more intriguing due to his namelessness.

But, as Lady Foxfire pointed out, we have to entertain ourselves SOME way while Rich is healing up (take your time, Giant--we'll be here.)

Some hilarious responses so far. "Name, the cleric" is my personal favorite to date, but lots of other funny ones to choose from.

How about "Colin Colin Bo Bolin Banana Fanana Fo Folin the Wobbly?" (I'm sorry, I'm just fixated on "the wobbly" as a funny nickname for a semi-heroic character.)

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome Alone View Post
    Joey Jojo Junior Shabadoo.
    That's the worst name I've ever heard.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    If he died than he could have never offered Belkar the chance to escape with him thus showing Belkar's (pseudo) character development. So, this wasn't really an inversion. Him surviving had a point.
    Yeah, but ONLY AFTER the prevailing storytelling of "nameless shlub does one thing for the good guys, then gets killed to show how deadly serious the Thieves' Guild is about this revenge thing is" has been subverted. Honestly the first time I read those strips I was just waiting for him to get rubbed out, because it's always what happens.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Troll in the Playground

Richard Milhouse Burlewson.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Halfling in the Playground

He shall be called, Robocaernabogthatnamelessclericthisnameistoolongwh yaminotusingperiodsohwellthisnameisgettinglongeras itypebythewaydidiforgettomention.

That I am new to the forums.
    Hi.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadebolt View Post
    I am new to the forums.
    Hi.
    Hi there!

I think he should be named Elan. Why? Because it is very seldom characters have the same name in fiction unless it's there to serve a point, whereas in real life many people have the same name. Thus we enter some realism into the comic, and a reason why the giant wouldn't reveal the name(it would confuse readers).

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post
    Hi there!

I think he should be named Elan. Why? Because it is very seldom characters have the same name in fiction unless it's there to serve a point, whereas in real life many people have the same name. Thus we enter some realism into the comic, and a reason why the giant wouldn't reveal the name(it would confuse readers).
    I like it.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Pixie in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Shadebolt View Post
    He shall be called, Robocaernabogthatnamelessclericthisnameistoolongwh yaminotusingperiodsohwellthisnameisgettinglongeras itypebythewaydidiforgettomention.

That I am new to the forums.
    Hi.
    Welcome to the forums. How do you pronounce that?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Well, that depends on how well you speak Old R'lyeh.

Also the idea his living was to prove belkar's character development is silly. He's turned better offers down while still in Chaotic Evil/Bored/3-foot Sauron mode.