New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil IC

Extracting the somewhat battered cart from the remains of its previous carer and attaching it to a rather uncomfortable Thunder, you leave the scene of the battle behind and continue on your way. Despite the small delay, evening brings you to Hommlet as promised, the sun just touching the horizon as the town rises before you.

A large keep stands on a hill overlooking the pleasant, pastoral community, its stones still quite new and its walls clearly never assailed. Although the town comprises hundreds of buildings, homes and places of business alike, the entire area is verdant even from afar, trees and shrubbery growing throughout. Brother Thalos's simple directions lead your steps to the Inn of the Welcome Wench, a curiously-named but clearly quite fine establishment consisting of a sprawling two-story building with large stables and a well-kept yard.

A brown-haired woman in a white apron, perhaps in her late thirties, emerges from the main building as the carts pull into the yard. "Welcome, welcome; I'd heard our cart was on its way back, and it's a pleasure to meet the ones who brought it. I'm Vesta Gundigoot; I take care of the inn's day-to-day business for my father. Just drive the cart over by the wall, there; we'll take care of unloading it. How was your journey?"
    Wriggle avatar by memnarch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Cecily

The young wizard once again rides the cart with their material in it. Once the group arrives in Hommlet, she dismounts the cart and takes Lunch onto her shoulder. She responds to Ms. Gundigoot quite plainly. "We found this second cart here, which belonged to some merchants. The driver was dead, and we brought his body here to identify his remains. Or, at least, give him a proper burial." Cecily motions toward the second cart as she speaks.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

"Oh, the poor soul." Moving to look inside the other cart, Vesta shudders at the state of the body, but nods sadly. "That is Mr. Gren, I do believe; no wonder he hasn't visited in a while. He never spoke of any family, but perhaps we could send a letter to the church in Verbobonc. Renne?" Vesta calls inside, and a moment later a young, pale-skinned girl of perhaps ten or eleven emerges, holding a small mostly-emptied glass of cider. Her dark hair is short and neatly cut, and she wears a forest-green dress of some heavy fabric.

"Thank you again for the potion, and I'm sorry to bother you when your father's away; I know you must be busy, but could you stop by the church on your way back and tell Calmer these travelers have found a dead man who needs caring after?"

"Of course, Miss Gundigoot." Renne nods solemnly, not appearing at all distressed by the news, and finishes the last of her drink before handing the glass to Vesta. "Thank you for the cider." Her gaze passes over the rest of you, but she only dips her head slightly in acknowledgement before turning to leave.

"Calmer will be along shortly, I'm sure, but you look like you've had a hard day. I'll look into getting you your pay right away while Maridosen unloads that wine. If there's anything you need in town, I can give you directions, or if you're looking to stay the night, we have rooms free, or bunks in the common room if you'd prefer something less costly. And I may be biased, but I can still assure you the food here is some of the best in town."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

"A moment of respite might be in order at your place", Tironius says. There's the slightest moment of a pause when he refrains from saying the name of the inn out loud. It didn't do the inn credit, but not always did the title aptly describe the worth of something, and the place looked fine enough from the outside. "But know this man was murdered, and we found the trail of the perpetrators. If there is a place we can rent two more horses it would help in our endeavor to bring them to justice."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Farin

The elf takes all of his equipment off the wine cart and puts it on the ground nearby. He unbuckles his armor and starts removing heavier parts while listening to the conversation.
    "Farin l'Ohtren, Miss. Pleasure to meet you, circumstances notwithstanding. If you direct us to a local law officer, we could coordinate with them. As to the rooms, we'll take two adjacent ones, if you have them."

He turns to the party. "Someone who knows the area would be very useful for locating the criminals, and I hope the local officer can help. But in the meantime, no harm in getting settled. We'll spend some time around here if we're to investigate this crime."

Addressing Vesta again, Farin asks: "I assume Mr. Gren was the merchant you originally expected, and Mr. Calmer would be a local priest?"

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course, come on inside, then." Vesta leads you into the inn's dining room, a clean and quiet area that is well-appointed, if a little old. A long-haired blond elf to one side is playing a rather mediocre tune on a recorder that looks more expensive than he deserves, and a few other people are seated around the room having an early dinner, or at least a drink - a short, brown-haired man in blackened leathers, a pair of women in farmer's clothes of deceptively fine weave, and a freckled halfling with long red hair. "Maridosen, the firewine's here; I'll handle the bar, so take it to the cellar." The pale, black-haired half-elven woman behind the bar gives a short sigh, but moves to leave. "Aye, Vesta."

Vesta unlocks a box behind the bar and counts coins into four pouches, handing them over to each of you. "There you are, then, less the cost of the rooms. If you'd like a key to lock them, it's an extra crown per room. Dinner tonight is poached salmon, spiced sausages, steak and kidney pie, or roast goose; seven silvers for the goose, five for one of the others." Innkeeping taken care of, Vesta returns to your other questions.

"Mr. Gren was a merchant, yes; he visited here from time to time. Calmer is Canoness Y'dey's assistant at the Church of St. Cuthbert; he's a very helpful fellow. Elmo would be the one to talk to about finding the ones who did this; he's the captain of the militia. I'm not sure where he is at the moment, although you could try asking about town, but he comes here fairly often in the evenings, so you might wait a bit and see. Now, as to renting horses, I'm not sure about that. Rudoulf runs the stables down at the southwest edge of town, but he only buys and sells. You might be able to convince Naresh to rent you a couple of his mules - he's down the road to the east, just past the bridge at the place with the barns - but while I don't mean to be rude, you shouldn't all go together. He's not very fond of elves, or anyone who isn't human, really."

Spoiler
    Show
    Twenty-three gold and five silver for each of you.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-12-04 at 01:07 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

Kholzug the Cleaver

Arriving at Hommlet's rather sedate inn, Kholzug nevertheless is openly aghast as Farin takes off most of his armour. Knowing his fellow warrior to be still a decent fighter regardless, he gives him that as he tends to the horses as well as helps with unloading the cargo.

"Ain't no bother, madam" he says as he catches the tail end of the conversation. The burly halforc snorts partly in derision and partly in resignation. He grunts at the others and says, "Arright, then. This 'ere Rudolf feller, ye reckon he be willin' ta take me good club as coll-atter-ull?" Turning to the others, he says, "Y'all be getting to this before dinner, after dinner, or on the morrow?"

"But!" he says, barking a cough and fishing out five silvers and three gold pieces. "I sees yer five sov'rens and raises ye three guilders and five. The fiver fer everyth'n wot ain't the not-so-lucky goose. One gold fer as much firewine or drakesblood or Bugman's Best if ye 'ave it, as can take me. One gold fer as much drink as me frends 'ere fancy. An' one fer free drinks fer everyone else, as long'st last, anyway"

Spoiler
    Show

I take it that coinage runs as copper crowns, silver sovereigns and gold guilders, yes? Unless I am mistaken?

Preparing 10 gold for temple donation. Remaining tenner goes to... savings, I suppose. Or bribe-money. Or alms. Or ale-and-whores if there be ale-and-whores to be had.
    Avatarcred: HELL YEAH to THE Oneris! Ma'am, thank you, ma'am.
    Previous Avatars: by Dr Bath, Strawberries, zimmerwald1915

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Cecily

The young wizard ponies up enough for two meals as well as a key for her room. "A helping of sausage, and a helping of salmon, please. As well as one of those keys." She knew little of protective magic, but the mundane power of locks was not something to be dismissive of. It wasn't that Cecily didn't trust anyone in the inn, but more that she slept sounder knowing her door was locked. Regardless, she takes her key, but doesn't head up to her room quite yet. Instead, she turns to the assembled group and spells out her intentions.

"I intend to go this church and see about getting this man buried. And, naturally, see if they have anything in the way of reading material that they'd lend me." With that said, the young wizard turns back to the inn-owner. "Miss, there wouldn't happen to be any wizards in the village, would there? I would dearly love to meet with another member of the arcane arts if at all possible."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

"I take the salmon, with watered down wine", Tironius says. He rarely gives much thought to food long as it is nutritious and healthy, and fish qualifies for that. "I commend your strive for more knowledge, Cecily, and I'd join you if I didn't see the need to be apace in finding these highwaymen. I will seek out this Naresh and then return here so we can convene with the captain of the militia if he turns up." He's not very fond of the mentioned racial intolerance; perhaps the man could still be educated at a future point. He knows there are degrees of ignorance, those who could still recognize the errors in their judgement if presented suitable evidence, and those who had their preconceptions so deeply ingrained all evidence to the contrary is disregarded. It is truly sad to see a mind so attached to their hate and fear they perceive the light of reason itself as hostile and disdainful.
    Actually, when you first put up the post where the gazebo started trying to eat us, I assumed you were pulling our legs and you'd put up the real post soon enough.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Dwarf in the Playground

Farin

"Then I'll start with the kidney pie and some ale, as soon as I move our luggage to the room. If you need me for anything I'll be around here, waiting for the captain."

The cleric takes his equipment and puts it away in the assigned room, then sits down in the common area. He'll spend the afternoon there unless someone in the party calls for help.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

"It's five silvers for one of the three, dear, but each meal comes with potatoes, spinach, bread and honey, so you won't go hungry. The fireamber's the best we stock, in truth, at three a glass; that's why we paid so much to ensure its safe delivery, but I'll get you a good Keoish brandy."

Turning to Cecily, Vesta smiles. "We do indeed; there are two in town aside from Burne himself. Head north over the bridge, and west at the second crossroads. Straight on is Spugnoir's shop; Potions and Elixirs, it's called. Renne's the only one there right now, though, and I suppose Haunor's watching the place; Spugnoir's away somewhere, it seems. If you turn left instead, you'll reach Zerosh Nubric's; he does some business in scrolls, but even I don't know him very well. He doesn't get out much."

Vesta pours you your drinks, then retreats into the kitchen, returning several minutes later with full plates for each of you. The food appears to be worth the price, lacking any of the unpleasant attributes usually associated with inn fare; whoever is doing the cooking knows their craft.

A tall, well-built man in simple clothing enters a short time later, the cross-and-rings of St. Cuthbert hanging from his neck. "Good evening, Vesta. Renne said our services were needed here..."

The innkeeper nods, gesturing to your table. "These travellers... found Mr. Gren on their way. He's in the cart out front. The young lady there wanted to accompany you, I believe."

"Well, I'm sure it can wait a few minutes, then. Such matters are not best handled in the middle of a meal." The priest approaches your table, offering a hand. "Pleased to meet you; a pity the circumstances aren't better. I'm Calmer, a servant of St. Cuthbert."

Spoiler
    Show
    Penny/silver/crown is what I was thinking there, in fact, but if you want to use those that's fine. Chalk it up to regional dialects.

We'll split the scenes after this dialogue, as it seems you each have your separate ways to go.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Cecily

The wizard-woman doesn't eat much, and mostly feeds herself off the salmon, a few spoonfuls of potatoes, and spinach. The bread goes to her little ferret, and so do the sausages. She naturally turns away a second helping of spinach and potatoes, and offers that up to whomever would like to have it. If no one else takes it, then Lunch does his best to stuff it into his face. When the Cuthbert priests arrive Cecily hops to her feet right quick. Lunch is much less agile, and the little ferret rubs his belly in pain. The blue-haired and bespectacled wizard just picks the little guy up and plops him down into one of her many pockets. She turns back to the Cuthbert priests and nods. "Cecily Cielani at your service, sir. I'd like a look at your library if at all possible. As far as my meal, I'm quite done. Lunch is as well, I see, so I'm ready to leave whenever you are."

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Kholzug the Cleaver

The halforc is momentarily taken aback by madam Vesta's reeling off her kitchen's repertoire. Kholzug frowns, scratching at his broad jaw while obviously pondering.

"Alright, fine, scratch the lot" he says, while ponderously counting out into Vesta's palm out three guilders, five sovereigns... and another five gold coins. "Whatever gullet-blazer ye've got--- Keoish or whatnot; the meat pie with the works; annnnnnd covering everybody's choice of drinks. If the fiver covers more'n what we could put down, take it as free fer whoever else 'til it runs out"

While waiting, Kholzug kicks back his seat to a dangerously creaking cant, hissing appreciatively at the fortitude of the brew. When their meal finally arrives, the orcblooded wildsman looks at it with a bit of trepidation, as if looking at the expense served up piping hot... then after the first bite digs in heartily, wolfing the lot down. "WORRFFIT!" he barks at the kitchen in appreciation.

"May your cudgels never crack, brothers" When the Cutherberites come, however, Kholzug stands and bows in greeting. He nods at Cecily and says, "Aye. Well. Call me Kholzug. I'll carry the dead. Brother Calmer, if we may ask... Know ye where Captain Elmo might be? From your temple, where'd a body go to find a certain Mr Rudolf's stables?"

Spoiler
    Show

Splitting the party already?
    Trap? Ambush? Stalkers? Poison? Lies? Treachery?
    Something's telling me our paranoia should be pricking.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

The monk eats his meal methodically, not really focusing on he taste as his mind is occupied with other things. He carefully sips his drink, making sure the wine is watered down enough not to cloud his senses.

"Light be with you, honored priest", he greets Calmer with a firm handshake. "I am Brother Tironius of Delleb's faithful. My condolences to the community and his acquaintances for the poor fate he incurred. I take it the deceased was of your church if you are called upon to handle the ministrations?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Calmer scratches the back of his neck, shrugging a little. "I'm not quite sure whom he followed, in truth; I don't believe he was a local. But while Ehlonna and Pelor have small followings in town, our church is the larger by far, so we tend to take care of those who haven't got anyone else. If you're ready, then we can go; I've brought some cloth to wrap him."

Kholzug/Cecily:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "The church is down the road, across the bridge here," the priest explains as you walk. "If you're looking to visit Rudoulf, just head down the southwest road; he's right near the end of the road out of town. I'm not sure where Elmo is, though; surprisingly enough, being captain of the militia has not made him keep a regular schedule." Calmer smiles slightly. "He's certainly quick to show up when he's needed, although I cannot in good conscience advise that particular method of getting his attention."

"We do have a small library, Miss Cielani; I should be able to show you our collection once we've seen to Mr. Gren. Was there something in particular you were looking for more information on?"

Tironius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Once you finish your meal and go in search of Naresh, the teamster's residence is not difficult to locate; two barns abut the house, and the smell of animals is prevalent. An older boy of seventeen or so with short blond hair exits one of the barns carrying a rake; he touches two fingers to the wide brim of his hat and nods as he notices your attention. "Evening, friend. You looking to have some goods moved?"

Farin:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A short time after the others have departed, the brown-haired man slides into a seat at your table, raising a mug of dark ale. "Cheers, mate. Your verdant friend's a generous one, eh? Good thing Xaod's not here, though, or his coin wouldn't last long. Still, man buys for the house, usually means a run of luck. You had any interesting experiences lately?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey, you're the ones splitting the party.

I'm just enabling you.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-12-21 at 12:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Cecily

The young lady shakes her head at Calmer's question. "Oh, no sir. I'm just looking for anything that I haven't read before. You know, a seeker of knowledge no matter how esoteric."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

((Should we be spoilering these things, chief? Just following your lead, sir.))

Kholzug the Cleaver

Spoiler
    Show
    "Rrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiight then" he drawls, using a hunk of bread to mop up the greasy remains of his repast and washing it all down with the last swig of his heady brew. "That puts paid to the idea of gettin' the good marshal's attention by doing a bit of horsethievery, heh-heh-heh..."

Once they get going, Kholzug takes the cloth from the oh so friendly cleric and wraps Mr. Gren's remains therein. If it is possible to still use one of the carts, he does so, but if not, he's just fine with simply shouldering the dead man to his final resting place.

When Calmer mentions Elmo's unexpected absence, Kholzug quips, "Oh? Mebbe he's just running down some thieves or smugglers or cruising your fine township's gutters fer cutpurse cutthroat dregs whose hands he can display at the gates?"

Spoiler
    Show

Fair enough, chief. Heh-heh!
    Feel free to whack me if player paranoia bleeds over into character paranoia... that is, if you're not actually dropping things the characters should be wary about, eh?
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2012-12-09 at 07:05 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

"I see. I don't want to delay the burial, but it would do well to ask the people here he used to trade with whether they know which faith he held. I'm sure he would have at least wanted the proper name of his god invoked when he is laid to rest."

Tironius
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tironius gives the yound man a nod, arms crossed inside the sleeves of his black robe. Greetings, friend. I am Brother Tironius, from the monastery built in the name of the holy Othmar. I am looking to have people moved, not goods. We have currently two horses between four of us, and we require two more mounts for some time. I was hoping we could rent two of your mules for an adequate fee."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground

"Certes, that shall be done. We will put out word to those who knew him in any case, should they wish to be present for the burial."

Cecily/Kholzug:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The church of St. Cuthbert is a solid stone structure of considerable size, the cross-and-rings worked into a round stained-glass window beneath the sharp point of the roof. Calmer takes the wrapped body from the cart, pushing open the wooden door to reveal a dim hall lit by shafts of light from narrow windows under the eaves, each wall save the back lined with three tiers of stone benches looking down on a round altar in the centre. Taking you to a small door near the back of the hall, Calmer knocks once, and the door is opened by a shorter man in simple acolyte's robes, completely bald despite his apparent youth. "Here he is, Deneb. Look into who knew him and spread the word, please."

Deneb nods silently, taking the body and laying it down on a stone slab by the wall. Speaking a soft prayer over the body, he touches its face gently, as though closing its hidden eyes, and after a moment even the muffled smell of rot fades away.

"Everything shall be seen to. Miss Cielani, I can show you the library now, if you wish. I don't think Canoness Y'dey will mind if you use the lectern there to study for a while, although I can't promise we have any books you haven't seen before. Kholzug, you may stay as well if you wish, although I don't know if you want to attend to your cart."

The temple's library is indeed rather small, somewhere between a dozen and two dozen volumes, depending on how one counts the copies. A single window high in the wall fills the room with just enough ambient light to read by at this hour, clearly intended to keep the precious volumes safe from any direct light. Most of the treatises appear to be religious in nature, as one might expect, although there are a couple on subjects as wide-ranging as demonic threats and viscounty law.

Tironius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The young man shrugs, looking over his shoulder. "Bit unusual, but might be. Pa! Someone wants to rent mules for riding!"

The family resemblance in the older man that emerges from the house is remarkable, the features hardened by years and weather but otherwise almost identical. He glances about suspiciously for a moment before he focuses on Tironius and his face softens. "Ah, hello, Brother. Mules for riding, is it? It's not the use they're usually put to, so we only have pack saddles; still, if you don't mind riding bareback, I'm sure we could come to some sort of arrangement. I'd wager you're planning on leaving town, since you'd hardly need to ride about Hommlet, so assuming you've got some sort of collateral to leave by... three silvers a day per mule, how about that?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, the spoilers are mostly for organization and easy separation of IC and OOC knowledge.
    Last edited by Sallera; 2012-12-10 at 12:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Tironius
    Spoiler
    Show
    For a moment the monk contemplates not revealing the purpose they were up to; the man hadn't inquired, and needlessly spreading they plan to hunt the bandits without knowing where they are or how easily news might reach them isn't prudent. But he deserves to know his animals are brought to a potentially harmful endeavour. "Three silver is in order, as is some collateral to ensure you we will return your property. I don't know how long we will be gone, and I must inform you our purpose is to chase some bandits we found evidence of nearby. Though I assure you we only need the mules to ease our travel, not to ride them into battle."

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Cecily

Cecily takes her time pursuing the volumes. She's searching for information on owlbears, anything local, and anything arcane in no particular order. Once she's gotten what she wants, or fails to find anything she likes, the young wizard takes the novel and heads down to study it. In particular, she wants to know about owlbear migration patterns, or simply anything she doesn't know already. If she finds something interesting, then she'll head over to the brother and ask him a simple question: "Can I borrow this for a few days?"

Whether she finds something or not, and whether they let her borrow their books or not, Cecily leaves after thanking them for their time and goes off to find Kholzug.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

Kholzug the Cleaver

Kholzug helps the young acolyte bring in the body. As Deneb prays over the dead, the orcblood warrior stands in solemnity, eventually thumping fist to chest and uttering, "Find yer peace."

"Eh?" comes Kholzug's consternation at the conundrum of the cart. He shoots Cecily a quick question. "Um, sorreh, got coffused wi' all the tracking and fighting and carrying. Eh, uh, actually whose cart would this be? Brother Thalos and his order's? Or ma'am Gundigoot 'ere and her Wench's?"

Turning back to Calmer, he says, "Much's I'd like ta stay'n peruse fer grandificating edification ere't yer archives, I hafta ask in the interest of finding those wot waylaid poor master Gren there--- Where be the way to master Rudolf's stables?"

After thanking the clerics, he takes his leave of his presumably already busy comrade. "Cez? I be findin' this Rudolf fellow, see if I can get some good hooves for the other two. Ye sure ye don't need any... Aye, aye, arright, yer reading, yer reading... "

With that, he mounts back up and tries to follow the directions the innkeep and the monks had given. He checks the sun in the sky for bearings to the southwest; stopping by a streetfood vendor's cart, a bunch of kids playing scrumball and a housewife tending her garden for confirmations on those directions.

Along the way, he tries to look for some tanner's or leatherworker's shop as well as a butcher's where he might get those owlbears appraised. The meat and pelts must surely be worth something more than a score of guilders.

Kholzug, in his scarred, weatherbeaten, bloodstained way, tries a friendly smile while jerking a thumb at the other two 'pasengers' of the cart. "Hullo, there. Fresh killed, just yesterday. How much be yer askin'?"

Damned towns. He makes sure to keep sniffing for the telltale horse**** scent of a stable.

When he finally arrives at the stables, he raps on the wall with the butt of his darkwood club and tries to look... like an unintimidating customer. "Holloa? Hallo-hallo? I be lookin' fer a master Rudolf, keeper o' these 'ere stabl'ivery?"

Spoiler
    Show

What? I did mention taking the PELTS [as well as the meat and the bones] more than once. We gots ta get some pocket money some way, eh?

Apologies in advance if this may've been a bit too much scope in one post.
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2012-12-12 at 02:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Tironius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man chuckles dryly, shaking his head. "Heh, and a good thing you're not planning to. Bred for docility, they are; we can't have delicate goods being jostled about, after all. Alright, since you're taking them into danger, I'll ask that you leave by collateral for the full value; seven, eight gold per mule or thereabouts. How many are you wanting, and when? We'll have them ready for you as you need."

Cecily:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The local wildlife, enhanced or otherwise, doesn't appear to have been of great concern to the library's owners relative to the people. The tome on viscounty law, dry though it may be, does cover many of the more recent local decrees, including the one granting control of Hommlet and its lands to Rufus and Burne for 'valorous service against evil.'

"Ah, I'm sorry, but we'd like the books to remain here. You are welcome to return later if you've found something you'd like to investigate further, though."

Kholzug/(Cecily):
    Spoiler
    Show
    There does appear to be a leatherworker's shop near the edge of town, but the old gnomish woman who emerges, dressed in numerous examples of her own craft, doesn't appear impressed by the find. Swinging herself up into the cart with unexpected agility, she pokes disdainfully at the first corpse with her stick. "Not much call for a bag of feathers like this, I'm afraid, even before all the blood you've got all over it. 'Tain't the first time I've seen an owlbear, and there's not much call for them. Who'd want to eat an owl or a bear, or wear something made from the worst parts of both?"

Turning over the corpse of the one Tironius executed, she sniffs, tapping its beak. "This one, now, I still wouldn't want to work it, but in a condition this good... there's chance enough I could find a buyer of some nature. Fifteen crowns, say?"

Aside from Kholzug's enforced diversions, the road to the stables is not especially long, and Cecily catches up a few minutes after he arrives. Rudoulf turns out to be a thickly-built dwarf with short-cropped brown hair and a thin layer of stubble, and he eyes Kholzug appraisingly. "Yes, I am Rudoulf. How can I assist you today? Have you come in search of a fine mount to carry you to battle, or a solid pack-beast to haul the spoils...?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I assumed you took your own cart there, not the inn's. (Of course, if that's the one you meant, never mind.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Cecily

The wizard frowns deeply when told she isn't allowed to borrow their books. She sighs, then leaves without further comment. Her research was a bust, and she had no desire to stay there when the Cuthbertians were stingy with their knowledge. Cecily follows Kholzug to the mule-keeper, but remains quiet throughout the exchange. She simply glowers at the dwarf, and at Kholzug's back. She quite obviously would rather be reading, but at least isn't voicing her discontent.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Troll in the Playground

Kholzug the Cleaver

Kholzug snorted at the gnomish tanner's words, agreeing, "PAH, indeed, marm. Buggers can't fly and can't bite as well as reg'lar bears can... Anyone ever figgered out how owlbears came about? Fifteen, ye say?"

The halforc frowned and tossed up the pouch that mistress Gundigoot had too recently paid him. He snorted again while loosening the strings and let one side of his mouth quirk upward in a half-smile. "Fifteen? Ah, just so happens I'm in a rush. Fifteen's good, thanks fer takin' it."

He took the payment with a grunt and while helping her unload the more intact owlbear, he asked, "If'n it be no bother t'ask, wot sorta customers ye 'ad in mind, marm, who might be wantin' something like this?"

Spoiler
    Show

Ha-ha-ha, I've got a feeling this might come back to bite us later on. Necromancer with an undead owlbear minion? Orrrrrrr more benevolently, some noble fellow with a fetish for collecting... oddities?

Once the stout stable-master comes out, Kholzug returns his appraising gaze, a steady downturned smile upon his craggy face. He replies, "Th' former, ser. Two hunt-worthy horses who'd not balk from battle and blood. Swift 'nough ta be able ta gain headway on quarry with a lead."

A dragging gait with stomping footfalls half-muffled by weathered skirts scuffs up behind him. Kholzug's nostrils pick up a distinct scent of tallow, parchment, ink, cotton, sweat and soap--- confirming what his ears tell him. When he hears Cecily come up behind him, he adds to Rudolf, "Koff. Amongst yer fine warhorses, have ye perchance something, hrhmm, easy to ride fer a, uhum, someone who don't ride easy?"

He crosses his arms across his chest and asks, "Arrighty then. Can we inspeck them? How much ye reckon that'd cost us, master Rudolf? Thirty guil--- er, crowns worth? Or more? Do they come with full tack?"
    Last edited by Miraqariftsky; 2012-12-13 at 09:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Tironius
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Fifteen gold then, as we need two", Tironius confirms with a nod. "We'll likely depart on the morrow, when we've rested and taken care of other arrangements. I'll leave the money with you and let you get back to you business." He counts out fifteen gold coins and hands them over. "Before I depart, would you happen to know where I might find the captain of your militia at the moment?"

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Cecily/Kholzug:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The aged leatherworker snorts, propping the beast up against a wall. "I listen to what's about. Reckon I know someone who might want this critter stuffed."

At the stables, Rudoulf frowns slightly. "Certainly, I have some swift horses well suited for both battle and pursuit, and to choose one with an agreeable temperament is no challenge, but I am afraid, sir, that thirty crowns will not suffice for even a single riding beast. For two strong battle-trained mounts, I will include full tack, but I cannot ask less than three hundred in total. If that is not beyond your means, then certainly, come inside."

Tironius:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll be keeping these safe for you, then." Naresh stacks the coins with a smile and tucks them away. "We'll have two mules ready to leave tomorrow morning."

"Now, if it's Elmo you're after... I'd try the Welcome Wench, around this hour. Plenty o' good people share a drink there after dark; pity about that damnable bard, though. He'd lead good lads on an expedition and get them all killed with his own incompetence, if he could. Sail back to town on a river of false tears afterward, too."

Spoiler
    Show
    If Cecily wants to continue her search for reading material, there are Renne and Zerosh's places, as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Current characters:
    Faien
    Aya
    Sei

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Tironius
    Spoiler
    Show
    The monk frowns for a moment at the tale of the bard. "What do you mean about this man. Is he prone to engage tasks beyond his capability or does he just have bad luck?" From the sounds of what he said it's more sinister than that, with hints at intention behind it and faked regret, but he'd better let the man elaborate instead of unnecessarily reading too much into subtext.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

Kholzug the Cleaver

The halforc pocketed his pay and got off to help the leathery-skinned leatherworker with shifting the more intact specimen to her storage. "Arrighty then, marm. Pleasure doin' business wid ye."

At Rudolf's stables, Kholzug's gauntleted hand rises to massage his temple. His other hand spins up the darkwood club, catches it by the head and profers it to the strangely horse-wise stablemaster.

The weapon is a finely crafted piece of woodwork, harder than oak yet lighter than yew, with a bounce to its grain seldom seen outside grasswood and bamboo. It is one and a half cubits long, the hilt wrapped in aged leather with a copper butt-cap and thong while the business end has a slight curve towards the tip. Its girth is a uniformly thick as a child's fist and makes a satisfying smack when slapped against a testing palm. The swirl of the grain of the wood looks like wisps of smoke and the nicks and scratches it has sustained through its weathering and wielding complement its deadly grace.

As Rudolf inspects the piece, Kholzug says to Rudolf, elbowing Cecily for support towards the end, "Ain't got three hundred goldilox clinking about in me pocket... but I do have this. Elvencraft piece, darkwood, iron-hard yet light as a switch. Looted from the hoard of a forsaken fane there-a-ways, o'er bleak hill an' 'cross dark dale. Quality of this thinger, 'tshould well cover a-yer askin' price, horsekeep. Ain't that right, O wise wizard?"

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Cecily

The thin wizard looks at Kholzug with a huff, then looks back to the horse vendor. "Yes. He has a very well made stick, and it's quite pretty." The sarcastic tone is immediately replaced with a sigh, and Cecily just shakes her head once before turning to her large orc-blooded companion. "Sir, why are you wanting to get some warhorses? It's not as if we're going to ride them into battle or anything."