New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Default Re: Gimmie That Old-Time Religion IC (nWoD Mage)

Cody nods to Anshar as we walks out while giving him a hand gesture to follow him out. Once outside and looking for a cab Cody will say to Anshar (and William if he is there), Those girls are going to give me an ulsor one of these days. he says it with a slightly more warm smile than one would expect.

Spoiler
    Show
    The invite to William still stands.

Spoiler: Active Characters
    Show

None

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

"Oh dear," the girl sighed. This was quite an awkward situation; Alyssa didn't really mind Cody's remarks when they were mainly targeted at herself, although it certainly seemed to have created quite a precarious situation with Shi. Still, it seems like she would be best staying here. Probably for the best, really, given that it would be a terrible thing to give Cody yet another chance to facepalm.

It was also a bit amusing to see him so friendly with Enki now despite his prior suspicion, but that is neither here nor there. There was, however, one more thing that she needed before the 'chaperone' boy was gone, and she very quickly called out to him: "Before you go, 'chaperone', let me see your camera for a moment."

The girl reached into her bag and pulled out a 20' USB cable, and pointed one of the ends at him. The other end was already attached to her laptop; on the screen, one could see a screencap of the Google map of New Orleans, with a few dots marked in the southern section and a solitary one at the site of a hotel.

"I'm going to keep a copy of the documents on this." Alyssa had a bemused grin on her face as she continued her request: "you know, in case if the irresponsible girls squad were to ever lose them."

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

"Why does he still think like a sleeper? Stupid cop training. Needing proof of something you can't see or prove without the necessary Magic to begin with. I talk to the dead. Why the hell would I try and talk to a ghost with a metal plate over his mouth?"

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

4. - Top - End - #154
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

"It's just his mindset. Gather the facts, check the details to find which facts could be faulty. It'll come in handy when he's checking Marten out."

"Now lets pop this trapdoor."

Sam kneels down and tries to open it.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Cody ignores Alyssa's request, I'll email them to you from the cab, we've wasted enough time on this foolishness.

Once in the cab, he will email them before talking further with William or Anshar.

Show

None

6. - Top - End - #156

"As you wish," Alyssa sighed; it was ultimately an expected outcome given the detective boy's state of mind at the moment. Still, there was no use arguing with Cody when his mind is set like this - and he's very trustworthy when it comes to official matters. "Make sure you don't forget it later on, 'chaperone' xiansheng*!" she continued, still wearing her standard smile. "Oh, right! I don't think I've ever told you my e-mail address. It's [email protected]; make sure you don't forget!"

The girl watched as Cody and 'guru' left, then returned to the remaining members of her cabal. The two were now located before the aforementioned trap door in the kitchen, and although she arrived late, she was able to hear a few brief fragments of Shi's complaint. "Cody is Cody," she laughed; she did feel a bit bad about being amused at Cody's frustration. Still, it's human nature to laugh at another's misfortune - one of the many reasons why reality shows and America's Funniest Home Videos had such a broad audience.

"It's just a part of his personality, to think like a sleeper cop would of an investigation," she added, still smiling. "That's part of what makes him such a great detective, I think...though, really, I don't know if I really have a right to comment, with me being the shining queen of sleeper life and all that."

"Here, let me help with that," she added, moving her hands over the trap door, as if speaking to something within it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alyssa will be improvising the following spell - the intention is to open any locks that might be on the trap door and cause the doors to open by themselves. Since it's covert and has no mana cost, I can keep on trying until it works:

Control Object (Matter •• + Spirit •)

Alyssa can speak to the spirit of a device and ask it to perform an action that is within the normal range of the device’s function. In effect, she talks to a device and asks it to work.

Practice: Ruling
    Action: Instant
    Duration: Concentration
    Aspect: Covert
    Cost: None

* Xiansheng (先生) is the Chinese word for Mister.
    Last edited by Felyndiira; 2013-01-27 at 04:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Orc in the Playground

HalflingPirate

William looks first one way, then the next, and flushes a little as he follows the girls into the back room, instead of Cody out to the investigation.

"Find anything interesting?"

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

In the back:

The kitchen staff gives you guys a few weird looks as you head back, but doesn't interfere. The trapdoor is under a black traction mat, and looks quite a bit older than the rest of the floor. About 2 feet square, and made of moldy ebony, it makes a slight *thunk* as Alyssa waves her hands over it. Opening easily, it reveals a short flight of wooden stairs down into a dingy basement.

The room is roughly dug out of the surrounding dirt, and lit by a single bare bulb from the ceiling. About 25 feet by 40, a row of cots line one wall. A refrigerator, sink, and microwave oven all appear to be in working order, and a small pantry of dry goods is cut into one wall. Several tables are in the room, and two large rows of books are on bookshelves hung from the ceiling.

Outside:

The morning mist has developed into a light drizzle, turning the day into a sort of grayish mess. Traffic is picking up, but still fairly light, so it doesn't take long before a cab pulls up. The driver smiles out the window, gesturing to the back of the car.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Cody steps into the back of the cab and gives the driver the address. As they drive Cody will email the pictures to Alyssa as he said he would.

During the drive Cody will review the documents further looking for clues as to what the connections are between the victims.

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by XianTheCoder; 2013-01-31 at 09:42 AM.

Show

None

10. - Top - End - #160

GreenSorcererElf

Sam descends the steps ahead of the others, looking for any threats.

"Spartan."

She tries to sense the aura of the place, filtering it through her special spacial perceptions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does it seem Hallowed?

11. - Top - End - #161

"I'm surprised that they would just let us use a place like this," Alyssa added, marveling a bit at their surroundings. Recalling an old interest, she quietly scanned the libraries around the room for a possible book on alchemy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Is there an alchemy lab or similar materials in the hallow, right?

12. - Top - End - #162

GreenSorcererElf

"It's not like we're goofing off here. They need more hands on deck, and they want those hands well equipped to help. This space is just what I needed."

Sam leans on one of the tables and begins feeling out the best way to combine her new spell watching Cody and her old spell watching the Hotel lobby into a single spell to give her some more headroom.

Spoiler
    Show

Winds of Chance, cast and over the next 3 turns should reduce my sympathetic penalty on rescrying the connections I already have open to a single penalty die. I don't think there's any real chance I'll fail to cast winds of Chance rote properly, but here it is:

Wit4+Sub4+Fate1 = (9d10)[3][10][1][6][9][5][3][9][2](48)
    10s = (5d10)[5][5][10][3][1](24)

13. - Top - End - #163

"Still, I imagined that most mages would be more protective of their hallowed sanctums," Alyssa replied almost instinctively. She quickly bit her lips when it became apparent that Sam was focusing on her scrying.

14. - Top - End - #164

GreenSorcererElf

"A row of cots says more communal workspace than private retreat."

Sam has practice dividing her mind into fully autonomous segments and a little chatter while she works never bothered her.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Outside group:

Still being early, it doesn't take long to reach the address of the first incident. The plantation home is on the southern edge of town, overlooking a huge front yard complete with topiary animals and a winding driveway. The house (more of a mansion, really) is three stories tall and built in a rustic French style. The walls are painted white and lined with carven edge work of animals and floral patterns. An amateur guess would easily put just the house at over a million in value.

A pair of gardeners are working outside in the flower beds lining the front walk. The front porch extends all the way across the front of the house, and features a pair of tables and assorted chairs. The front doors stand open, and the smell of baking bread emanates from the inside.

Those arriving (Cody and Anshar, I believe):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Please roll Wits + Composure, or Wits + Occult if its higher and you have active mage sight. Either way, apply a -2 to the pool.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Orc in the Playground

Inside group:

As Alyssa scans the bookshelves, a subtle bit of Space magic becomes evident. The shelves appear to contain many more books than were first visible; each book is actually several books compressed together. It seems that the act of running one's finger across the spines brings them to full size around the point of contact, acting much like a fisheye lens for reality.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanically, this library is rated at 4 dots and covers the broad topics of Spirits and their Courts, Demonology and the Constructs of the Mind, The Arcana and their Applications, and Known Types of Supernaturals in the Fallen World. I don't know why I capitalized them like that, they look like college courses.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Troll in the Playground

"Upon reflection, I believe that I may have a partial lead on what we are seeking. A vodun legend referring to a Eater of the World. It might be good to have the girls start looking into it."

As Anshar exited he covered his milky eyes with dark glasses and let his cane unfold.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wits 2 + Occult 5 - Penalty 2
    (5d10)[4][6][3][2][9](24)
    Many, many thanks to azuyomi244 for the avatar.

18. - Top - End - #168

GreenSorcererElf

Hearing Enki through her scry on Cody, Sam passes the tip along:

"Enki suggests we check out a voodoo legend of something called a "World Eater"."

When Cody exits the taxi Sam pauses her research to try and get a better look at the place.

Spoiler
    Show

When should I make a second extended research roll, and my wits+composure and Wits+Occult(+mage sight specialty) are both 8, what would the penalty for making the perception via scrying be? (There is no normal penalty as long as it has focus).

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Spoiler
    Show

Spells that Cody makes active just prior to arriving at the estate:

Omnivision: See in 360 degrees
    Unseen Shield: +3 to Armor
    Receiver: Extends Hearing Range

Omnivision: [rollv]5d10[rollv]
    Unseen Shield: [rollv]9d10[rollv]
    Receiver: [rollv]6d10[rollv]

It looks like there are 5 people in the area with the witnesses name, lets start with the employers house and see if we can narrow them down. During the ride Cody continues to research the witness. When Anshar offers his realization Cody considers the reference to the legend for the moment, trying to remember if he has ever heard of it before.

When they arrive at the plantation estate Cody will step out of the cab and pay the driver for the ride and an additional amount to have the driver wait for 10 minutes in case this ends up being a deadend. He will then request a number in case they need to call for another cab shortly.

Quite the estate. Shall we start with the gardners? I was thinking we would operate under the guise of detectives, annoyed that we were sent to perform the clean up duties on a cold case. that work for you? Just don't actually say you are a police officer, implying is fine, stating it is a crime. Cody pauses for a second, Unless you are one... Cody will glance at Anshar as he says it.

Assuming he meets no resistence from Anshar Cody will walk up to the gardners with an authoritative yet uninterested strut ancd stance, Excuse me, could you tell me where I can find Ms. Moyers. I have some paperwork that she forget to sign. Cody is attempting to keep the gardners from getting jumpy, he desn't want them thinking he is there to give any of them a hard time and in the process causing them to help the witness flee the area.

Spoiler
    Show

Occultic role to make a connection to the Vodun legend (sadly Cody doesn't have his Library in the car.. it's focus is Occultic Monsters)

Int + Occult = 7
    (7d10)[6][2][4][7][3][1][1](24)
    (5d10)[6][10][7][10][9](42)

Wits + Occult - 2 = 6
    (6d10)[10][1][10][4][10][6](41)
    (5d10)[6][1][7][2][3](19)

Show

None

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

"Huh. Dirt. They expect us to stay here? The cheap hotel was better."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

"I am not though I have no problems with it."

Anshar was quiet, trying not to betray his inexperience. The relief of being treated more or less normally was one he was in no hurry to squander. Janessa was nice enough, but she saw all her friends that died when she looked at him, that was clear enough a blind man could see it.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Outside group: (away team? Lol)

Anshar/Enki: (one success)
    Spoiler
    Show
    To your mage sight there appear to be a series of glowing spots at the edge of the treeline to the south, regularly spaced. They are faint and indistinct.

Cody: (three successes)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The trees at the southern edge of the property bear a regular series of Atlantian runes magically imprinted on them. The symbol appears to be the one for predator/hunter/stalker, as best as can be translated.

Sam:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Same -2 that the others faced, if you score one or three successes go ahead and read the appropriate spoiler. If you score five or more ill give additional info. Also, feel free to roll that next research roll.

The groundskeeper looks quizzically at Cody and Enki's arrival, but relaxes as Cody asks his question. "Yeah, hang on a sec." Turning towards the house, he shouts "Hey Suzy! Get out here, you got business to handle!"

A middle-aged woman appears at the door, skin tanned and wrinkled from years in the Southern sun. Wearing a sun dress and apron, she dusts flour off of her hands as she approaches. "Yeah, ok then, what you need? I got bread bakin' and chillens to wrangle." She speaks with the manner of a person who stands and works 18 hours a day their whole life, weary and business-like.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

While waiting for the witness to arrive Cody will point to the southern trees, Nice view of the horizon, don't you think? We don't see enough foliage in the city Cody will say casually to Anshar.

As Ms. Moyers approaches, Cody will put on a smile, Hello Ms. Moyers, we just need a moment of your time to follow up on a few things that transpired on [Enter Date/Time Here]. Please call me Derick, and this is my companion Detective Andrew. Cody will indicate Anshar as he speaks. If it makes it easier we are happy to speak with you while you continue your work in the kitchen. Also, I've heard that Andrew here is a natural chillen wrangler, in case you need a hand. Cody will smile at her as he volunteers Anshar's help.

Show

None

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

"I have had my moments with 'chillen' yes."

Though I was one at the time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Switch the skill bonus to Socialize, and Caste First Impression until I get at least three dice. (about 32% chance of 3 success on the six dice I roll)

25. - Top - End - #175
    Orc in the Playground

Suzy looks a little dubious at Cody's offer. "Lets just keep it quick-like, I already told all I know anyhow. Suppose I can go through it again though, since y'all asked so nicely."

She takes a breath before relating the story. "So it were late, 'bout 1 or 2 in the AM. I had finished up all the chores, and just poured m'self a nightcap when I heard a funny sound. Like swirling air, sorta."

"Anyway, I went to take a look, and I saw a man dressed in the darkest black you ever seen, like the pitch of night itself. And he musta had some kind of ropes or some such on him, cause it was whipping around him in the dark. He was on the stairs, though the doors were closed and locked up proper. So I watched for a second, surprised as I was, as he went up the stairs all slowly. And dead quiet, too."

She frowns for a moment before continuing, choosing her words carefully. "Now the other staff don't believe me bout this part, and truth be told I don't rightly believe it myself. But it's what I saw, sure as day. That man walked straight into the young master's room, right through the closed door like it were air. That's when I screamed."

Sir burst outta his room in a flash, and kicked down the boy's door where I pointed to it in a second. I never seen him move like that, but his hackles were up and I don't blame him none for that. We ran in after him, but the dark man were gone along with the boy. Sir started swearing and hitting the empty bed, calling somebody a son of a bitch, though he didn't say who."

She shrugs. "After that, the cops came and took a report, and told me I was seeing things on account of the drink, even though I tole 'me it weren't but one I had. Then that young detective came and asked a bunch of strange questions, and that was that. He musta been pretty good to be detective so young, and his head shaved too. Maybe he's a cop's boy."

She looks at the two before her, waiting to see what they have to say. Her face suggests she doesn't expect it to be enjoyable.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Cody quickly takes notes, short hand when neccessary to keep up with the story, as he writes he will scribble in the margins the various Arcana/Rotes that immediately come to mind. When the story is finished Cody will quickly glance through the notes and make sure he has everything, before beginning to ask questions. Well her employer has got to be a supernatural, based on the woods I would guess a Mage. The immediate description sounds similar to what we faced this morning. We appreciate your statement Ms Moyers, if you wouldn't mind, and I promise to make it quick, I just have a couple questions for you.

((For the sake of consolidating the questioning I will post each question Cody intends to ask in the order he would ask them.))

Do you remember the name of that original young detective that took your first statement?

If the dark shrouded man walked silently, what caused your employer to burst through his door in the first place?

After the cops came, did your employer give them a statement? I didn't see one in the file.

The dark shrouded man, how was he moving, was it a casual walk or a sneaky thief-like manner or somethign else entirely?

When the boy was discovered to be missing, what was the emotional state of your employer? From your statement he was "Swearing and Hitting the Bed", which implies to me he was angry, did he seem terrified, sad, scared as well?

((More to follow after a few answers))

Show

None

27. - Top - End - #177
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by XianTheCoder View Post
    Do you remember the name of that original young detective that took your first statement?
    "I don't rightly remember, it was something like Samuels, or Samson. Something with an 'S' to it."

If the dark shrouded man walked silently, what caused your employer to burst through his door in the first place?
    "Most likely it were my screaming."

After the cops came, did your employer give them a statement? I didn't see one in the file.
    "I imagine he did, though I didn't see it myself. Can't speak as to why you ain't got it though."

The dark shrouded man, how was he moving, was it a casual walk or a sneaky thief-like manner or somethign else entirely?
    "Kinda stiff, like he were real sore or holdin' back a sick stomach."

When the boy was discovered to be missing, what was the emotional state of your employer? From your statement he was "Swearing and Hitting the Bed", which implies to me he was angry, did he seem terrified, sad, scared as well?
    "Angry? Filled with righteous fury'd be a better term. Not so much scared, I'd say."

28. - Top - End - #178

GreenSorcererElf

Sam noted the promising lead, but made not overt mention of it, in case it was an inside job and they had the workspace bugged in some stealthy manner.

She continued tracking down all interesting leads in the documents, jotting the more obvious down in small shorthand, and remembering the ones she thought more subtle only by the spaces left in her notes, and the context around them

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Cody continues to take notes while asking questions. Thank you Ms. Mowers, we appreciate your time. . Looking to Anshar, Do you have any questions?. If Anshar has nothing to add Cody will continue, Is your employer currently available? I just have a question or two for him as well.

Show

None

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

"Just one. Is or was your employer a religious man? More precisely, is he involved with any, traditional activities. Not to suggest anything of course, but most kidnappers know the family and we would like to cover all our basses for how this person might have known your employer or his son."