New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: MS Paint Adventures 7: At the Price of Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by Incom View Post
    I would think people would be wise enough to catch up on the comic before going to a forum to talk about it.
    Also sometimes people might hop on here for whatever discussion was ongoing and not know there has been an update. It's only one little click at the top of the text box so no reason not to really.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

If I see the thread has updated, I immediately go check Homestuck, but that's just me.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Darn. i was kinda hoping to never see those guys again.
    How terrible. ;_________________;

4. - Top - End - #334
    Bugbear in the Playground

So, Davesprite update?

Spoiler
    Show
    It's like he heard there was a self-loathing contest going on and is putting in a serious contention for first place, because damn.

I laughed at the "feathers? What feathers?" line and felt like such a heartless monster considering the point of the analogy was that he was an inferior copy of the real thing who his friends are better off without. It's so ironic considering how Alpha Dave was going on trying to convince Karkat the two of them (and everybody) would still be friends even when John came back and it wasn't like somebody else had to get shoved out of the picture, while Davesprite is taking the exact opposite approach for what's going to happen to himself with the return of Alpha Dave.

Oh I feel like I should say hi or something. I started reading this comic near the end of last year and caught up in January, although it wasn't until a few weeks later that I'd gone back and re-read a number of sections that I honestly felt I had a grasp on everything that had happened. I'm kind of fascinated by the series' use of time travel tropes, the way it comes up with a reason to use both "stable loops" and "alternate timelines" in the same universe; usually I only see both in the same story because the writer(s) just got confused and forgot which way it was supposed to go.
    Last edited by B. Dandelion; 2013-02-20 at 03:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

So, someone mentioned in a Twitter conversation that [S] Caliborn: Enter contains an allusion to (an act title taken from) an earlier page, and upon reading that page, I realized that I had previously seen another reference back to that same page without realizing it at the time.

I guess that the question here is "Is anything in Homestuck not a callback?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic Robot View Post
    And what the alpha have accomplished in... three months now? Or somesuch?
    11 + 11 weeks from 11/11 to 4/13.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Did not foresee double mind-control to dominate Jade. Of course that means that Condi is very well informed and has impressive range (since she was on the other side of the Medium at the time!).

One of the advantages of having a Lord who has always been there I suppose
    Prospit orbits Skaia at the center of the Medium, remember? So only halfway across.

(Why can everyone breathe in space?)
    They can breathe in space that's filled with air because they have lungs. It's not hard, you do it all the time, COME ON. :P

Quote Originally Posted by B. Dandelion View Post
    I'm kind of fascinated by the series' use of time travel tropes, the way it comes up with a reason to use both "stable loops" and "alternate timelines" in the same universe; usually I only see both in the same story because the writer(s) just got confused and forgot which way it was supposed to go.
    I like alternate timelines as an alternative to "changing the past" Back to the Future style, because the idea of being able to literally cause the past in the future to be different from the past in the present makes no sense whatsoever. That's like the concept of making London in New York different from London in Tokyo; it's just complete nonsense.

Do you really think I have the power to make something unhappen??
    I would have to be a wizard to do that. And as we both know perfectly well, magic is fake as ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So, Davesprite update?

Spoiler
    Show
    It's like he heard there was a self-loathing contest going on and is putting in a serious contention for first place, because damn.

I laughed at the "feathers? What feathers?" line and felt like such a heartless monster considering the point of the analogy was that he was an inferior copy of the real thing who his friends are better off without. It's so ironic considering how Alpha Dave was going on trying to convince Karkat the two of them (and everybody) would still be friends even when John came back and it wasn't like somebody else had to get shoved out of the picture, while Davesprite is taking the exact opposite approach for what's going to happen to himself with the return of Alpha Dave.
    Especially interesting because
    Spoiler
    Show
    he used to be annoyed when people implied he wasn't the real Dave.
    SSBitP
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

7. - Top - End - #337
    Ogre in the Playground

So, Davesprite update?

Spoiler
    Show

Oh I feel like I should say hi or something. I started reading this comic near the end of last year and caught up in January, although it wasn't until a few weeks later that I'd gone back and re-read a number of sections that I honestly felt I had a grasp on everything that had happened. I'm kind of fascinated by the series' use of time travel tropes, the way it comes up with a reason to use both "stable loops" and "alternate timelines" in the same universe; usually I only see both in the same story because the writer(s) just got confused and forgot which way it was supposed to go.
    Welcome to our club!

And the Conductor's Baton thing was pointed out to me, I remember how neat that was. @_@
    Last edited by Tectonic Robot; 2013-02-20 at 09:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

So what's the deal with the MSPA forums? They were supposed to get stuff done over last weekend and it looks like they're still down, but I'm now getting a generic Google Chrome "cannot be found" message rather than the usual vBulletin box that's been up for a while. Is it a problem on my end or did something happen?

And apparently some of the watermarks in the newest page are from actual cosplayers? Pretty cool.
    SSBitP
    "Creativity is the art of knowing how to hide one's sources." - Original quote, DO NOT STEAL.

9. - Top - End - #339

Chimera

New update.

Spoiler
    Show
    And Caliborn has unlocked 2 more felt. It's funny how he is too stupid to understand what they do.

So what's the deal with the MSPA forums? They were supposed to get stuff done over last weekend and it looks like they're still down, but I'm now getting a generic Google Chrome "cannot be found" message rather than the usual vBulletin box that's been up for a while. Is it a problem on my end or did something happen?

And apparently some of the watermarks in the newest page are from actual cosplayers? Pretty cool.
    The same thing is happening here. I think they underestimated the difficulty of the stuff they were going to do.

10. - Top - End - #340
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

IDE: mspaforums is down because newgrounds et al are getting revenge from EOA5

Also the newest last page is pretty amusing.
    Last edited by Incom; 2013-02-20 at 11:10 PM.
    SSBitP

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like LE is trying to cut a hole around The green sun.
    Despite everything, its still me.

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by Devils_Advocate View Post
    I like alternate timelines as an alternative to "changing the past" Back to the Future style, because the idea of being able to literally cause the past in the future to be different from the past in the present makes no sense whatsoever. That's like the concept of making London in New York different from London in Tokyo; it's just complete nonsense.
    Well, BTTF was using alternate timelines in their way. The second movie has a scene in it where Doc illustrates the idea on a chalkboard. I couldn't find a link to the whole thing, but here's a clip from the first part. Basically, their problem in BTTF 2 was that somebody else in the future had gone back and changed the past, and because it created an alternate timeline it meant they couldn't try to fix things by just jumping into the future that had spawned the change -- they'd only be going to the future of the now-alternate timeline they were trapped in.

That's not to say they got it exactly right, even by their own logic -- if Marty and Doc couldn't get to the original 2015 after Biff had altered 1955, why was Biff himself allowed to do exactly that so that he could return the stolen DeLorean to a timeline that he'd ostensibly just gotten done wiping out? But it was the idea.

Thanks. I really liked those WV pics you posted earlier too.

And the Conductor's Baton thing was pointed out to me, I remember how neat that was. @_@
    I've no doubt missed a lot... this refers to what in particular?

13. - Top - End - #343

Chimera

It seems he is still having a hard time drawing circles.

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It looks like LE is trying to cut a hole around The green sun.
    Perhaps he's trying to protect one of the sources of his power?
    Exalted avatar remix by Musashi
    Original Avatar by Strawberries
    Character is Kin from Goblins

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I don't know, it looks more like he's just not finished with it.

Anyway...

Game time!

So, the question is; Are we better with puzzles than Caliborn? Basically, figure out ways to use the Felt's abilities in tandem to solve classic puzzles, or come up with ideas of puzzles that could be based around their abilities.

Nobody can "Win", but it's more impressive if you can use, say, Doze over Itchy.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    New update.

Spoiler
    Show
    And Caliborn has unlocked 2 more felt. It's funny how he is too stupid to understand what they do.

The same thing is happening here. I think they underestimated the difficulty of the stuff they were going to do.
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, Trace and Fin's abilities would be rather difficult to find out if you weren't told about them before...

Thanks. I really liked those WV pics you posted earlier too.

I've no doubt missed a lot... this refers to what in particular?
    :D :D :D

Raise the Conductor's Baton was the name of Act 2, I think.

In [S]: Caliborn, Enter, Caliborn raised up his wand (his conductor's baton) and used it to cast his crazy death breath spell which shattered the unreality of the... the big black space where the dream bubbles are, whatever it's called. The Furthest Void?

17. - Top - End - #347

Chimera

Spoiler
    Show
    To be fair, Trace and Fin's abilities would be rather difficult to find out if you weren't told about them before...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, but a smart person would think "I'm sure those guys have some power, I'll try to figure it out". Caliborn, instead, thinks "THEY ARE USELESS, THIS IS UNFAIR, I DEMAND BETTER MINIONS!11!1"
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2013-02-21 at 10:30 AM.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Dragon View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes, but a smart person would think "I'm sure those guys have some power, I'll try to figure it out". Caliborn, instead, thinks "THEY ARE USELESS, THIS IS UNFAIR, I DEMAND BETTER MINIONS!11!1"
    His life will get better once he get's to the seventh planet and unlocks Crowbar. Even Spades Slick admits the Felt can be dangerously organized with him calling the shots.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh goodness, the Felt feel like so long ago. Can someone recap them and their power for me?

20. - Top - End - #350
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Oh goodness, the Felt feel like so long ago. Can someone recap them and their power for me?
    1. Itchy is fast.
    2. Dose is slow.
    3. Trace sees where you were.
    4. Clover is lucky.
    5. Fin sees where you will be.
    6. Die has a voodoo doll which you can insert pins into to travel to a timeline where the person a pin represents is dead.
    7. Crowbar has a crowbar that destroys and erases the effects of Jujus.
    8. Snowman is the troll universe.
    9. Stitch can make effigys that when a hat is put on, it acts as a voodoo doll of the person the hat belongs to.
    10. Sawbuck transports himself and a person that harms him to a random point in the timeline.
    11. Matchsticks can travel in space and time through fires.
    12. Eggs has an egg timer which can be used to time traval with the range of one hour.
    13. Biscuits has an oven which he hides in to travel to the future, on a rate of one second per second.
    14. Quarters has a machine gun and coins that when flipped, will replace you with your coin mate if it lands on their side. If it lands on your side, you die.
    15. Cans can punch you through the calendar panels.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

Theory: The Snowman we know is just a stand-in for the real Snowman, who Calliope killed probably because his powers were so aggravating. Or possibly sacrificed to solve a puzzle. Or even more likely, his power was simply to die horribly in some way.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Potato.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dreambubble John visits some trolls and sees some cracks

This ought to be good.
    SSBitP

23. - Top - End - #353

Chimera

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm seeing 6 troll shadows there: Vriska, Tavros, Aranea, Meenah, Aradia and Sollux.

But I'm also seeing some blue things that look like trolls. Pre-Scratch trolls? Or it's just the ship?

Also:

Upgrading the forums. It's not quite done yet, but it's almost there.
    I was worried that they might lose the forum data or something, I guess this is just a delay.

24. - Top - End - #354

Is it me or... Fish puns are such a crazy effective auto-sedate button on Meenah it starts to seem like they should be able to beat the Condesce just by lobstering 'em at her nonstop.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Interesting idea...

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Yet somehow I think that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither Vriska or Meenah won the fight because everyone weren't in their army in the first place, so no one could win anything.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by super dark33 View Post
    Yet somehow I think that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither Vriska or Meenah won the fight because everyone weren't in their army in the first place, so no one could win anything.
    Uhh...

Spoiler
    Show
    Aranea got them to agree that in the event of a tie for the fight they'd start working together, "luck willing..."

So, given that she's a light player, that's almost certainly what happened.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

>think there's an update
    >realize site's auto-save brought you to the second to last page, no update

First world problems amirite?

Oh, and actual update as of Sunday night.

Spoiler
    Show
    FISHMAEL 38DDDDD best pun of all tide

(Hm, do I sense Meenah <3< John going on here? Gonna call it now.)

So it looks like Aradia and Sollux have a thing now? Or have I been not paying attention to it for a while? Tavros and Vriska interested me more so I probably ignored some of the others.

And is Vriska starting to remind me of Kankri a bit there? Huh, I don't recall them interacting...
    Last edited by Incom; 2013-02-24 at 11:58 PM.
    SSBitP

29. - Top - End - #359

Spoiler
    Show
    And is Vriska starting to remind me of Kankri a bit there? Huh, I don't recall them interacting...
    Spoiler
    Show
    VRISKA: See? You just called them copies. Even you can't avoid accidentally using a pro8lematic slur which reveals that no matter what you 8elieve a8out your morals, deep down you're always gonna favor the original, while viewing all the others as duplic8tes of lesser value.

Yeah... In the sense that they are both identifying "problematic" word choices as symptomatic of a larger flawed moral framework, they do sound similar. Although they're basically arguing to exactly opposite ends. Kankri's aims are -- at least in theory -- to get those flawed moral attitudes to change. Vriska's aim is to argue the existence of the flawed moral attitude in other people justifies it in her own, or at the very least drags everyone else down to her level.

We never did see any interaction between the two, but there could have been time for it to happen off-screen. Although I somehow don't think they'd get along.

I'm rather horrified by the direct implication here that she's gotten possibly hundreds of alt-version ghosts perma-killed in part out of her complete disregard for them as real people.

It makes me depressed to think she may have a point about even good people tending to view alt-timeline characters as lesser copies. We just got done seeing what it did to an alt-timeline character to have completely internalized that belief.
    Last edited by B. Dandelion; 2013-02-25 at 02:40 AM.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ettin in the Playground

To be fair, it's not like Vriska could exactly have stopped LE from killing hordes of dead alt nepetas and such. He almost certainly would have rampaged and killed just as many dead people (urgh, my words) no matter what she did.
    Last edited by AgentPaper; 2013-02-25 at 02:41 AM.
    Excellent avatar by Elder Tsofu.